shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with AJS Morganite (Last Day of Sale)

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

While the main cause that makes the tilt windowing here so obvious is the large size and style of cut, even a small and perfectly cut morganite will show a tilt window. That is because of the low refractive index (RI) of morganite, so you could say the nature of morganite is a factor - as you put it.
It could be minimized by a cut like the larger trillion you shared, which shows a tilt window at a more extreme angle than the one you have (you can spin the image around or view the video). But the angle to show it is still not as extreme as a high RI stone like diamond, which you already saw here needs to be at a rather extreme angle for a relatively small tilt window:
Hope that makes sense?

That makes a lot of sense to me, thanks. I suppose a ring would be better in terms of a tilt window because the 90ish degree angle I would keep it at while wearing as a pendant is the most extreme angle and so I believe will constantly show the window. At least with this modified step cut.

Oh, by the way, I finally found someone selling morganite for more money than I paid. GemsNY. Almost exact same carat size, brilliant round, $450 more. https://www.gemsny.com/morganite/8.13-Carat-Round-morganite-MG200016RD/?sku=77273&type=

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
I do not believe it is precision cut as I do not expect to see facets not meeting to this extent in a precision cut stone:

1680770629654.png

I appreciate the stone has been magnified in this photo, however, the quality of the cutting should stand up to scrutiny when magnified if it has indeed been precision-cut.

Precision cut commands a premium, and sellers would normally state if a stone is precision cut in order to justify the higher prices, IMHO.

DK :))

Thanks DK. You were the first to tell me the tilt window was unavoidable in a larger stone. I believed you. Knowing it and seeing 1/4 of my.stone disappear are 2 different things. I see your aquamarine TW and in a flash it is gone. I hope the same for this. I would not like it to look static.
Wow, I do see the facets not meeting. I read on someone's site to look for that. Gene's I think. This is a great example. I asked a Sri Lankan jeweler on Instagram today if one of his stones was precision cut amd he said no. There is no demand for it because only the stone needs to be perfect. I said ok, thanks. I am someone who demands a precision cut.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In CS, colour is king, and everyone's colour preference is very different.

Some may be able to tolerate less than ideal/precision cutting if the colour is exceptional, and there are many of such examples about in PS - just have a search on blue Sapphire, and also Ruby and Emerald, as in the big 3 CSs.

The same could be said about diamonds - some prefer wonky less than perfect old cuts that were cut years ago, than precision cut newer stones in old cuts.

Each person's "mind clean" in diamonds and CSs is different. You need to decide what is your "mind clean".

Again, as I had mentioned before, if precision cut is what you are after, then don't waste time searching for potentially suitable cut stones via different vendors.

Seek out trusted lapidary artists for their help and advice instead, to commission a stone in the colour, size and shape of your choice within your budget.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree with DK's post above.
I may be wrong but it seems like cut is quite important to you. A custom order with a top cutter would provide you the option to get the best of the best cut, in a color you are happy with, and answers to questions you have throughout. It can be more expensive than random online listings, but you have the budget. Just make sure if you are comfortable with the return options.

I am open to stranger/worse cuts. I like the morganite kite's cut (not the price)
As DK mentioned diamond cut preferences... There are all sorts of unusual cuts on this account for diamonds, if you want to see more oddities:
Portrait cuts, windowed cuts, rose cuts, shallow near-windowed cuts, wonky old cuts, freeform/novelty cuts, cuts that seem like recuts from damaged diamonds... I prefer many of these over the ideal round cut diamonds that are popular on the diamond board.

Last edited:

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
@Odyssey44 Not much to say, but I really like the color of your new morganite. I think step cuts like that kite will always show a bit of a tilt window, but imo beryls look prettier with them than any brilliant style. What you chose is right up my alley if I were to ever seek a morganite.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
In CS, colour is king, and everyone's colour preference is very different.

Some may be able to tolerate less than ideal/precision cutting if the colour is exceptional, and there are many of such examples about in PS - just have a search on blue Sapphire, and also Ruby and Emerald, as in the big 3 CSs.

The same could be said about diamonds - some prefer wonky less than perfect old cuts that were cut years ago, than precision cut newer stones in old cuts.

Each person's "mind clean" in diamonds and CSs is different. You need to decide what is your "mind clean".

Again, as I had mentioned before, if precision cut is what you are after, then don't waste time searching for potentially suitable cut stones via different vendors.

Seek out trusted lapidary artists for their help and advice instead, to commission a stone in the colour, size and shape of your choice within your budget.

Thanks DK. My problem is I don't want to give up color or cut. And the stone I got is a precision cut. So it has been a surprise for me to see the large windows at pendant level. Somehow I thought the tilt window would show up at 30 ish degrees and then go once it hit a higher angle. I have learned a lot with this adventure.

I think I have been hesitant to contact a lapidary about morganite because I have not seen the color I have anywhere in their pictures of current or past work. I have contacted one though about the top stone I want for the pendant. Either a pink garnet or tourmaline in a superman cut. I don't know what else to call it. It is the outline of the S on Superman's costume. A triangle with 2 ends blunted. Pretty easy contact because this is a cut I do not see! And I have seen the color I want in their past work.

I am thinking Morganite is just very difficult for me. My color choice is a rare one.

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
I totally agree with DK's post above.
I may be wrong but it seems like cut is quite important to you. A custom order with a top cutter would provide you the option to get the best of the best cut, in a color you are happy with, and answers to questions you have throughout. It can be more expensive than random online listings, but you have the budget. Just make sure if you are comfortable with the return options.

I am open to stranger/worse cuts. I like the morganite kite's cut (not the price)
As DK mentioned diamond cut preferences... There are all sorts of unusual cuts on this account for diamonds, if you want to see more oddities:
Portrait cuts, windowed cuts, rose cuts, shallow near-windowed cuts, wonky old cuts, freeform/novelty cuts, cuts that seem like recuts from damaged diamonds... I prefer many of these over the ideal round cut diamonds that are popular on the diamond board.

Yes, cut is super important to me. Mainly because of avoiding those windows and ensuring maximum brilliance. I thought by ordering a precision cut stone I would be ok except for a small tilt window that would appear and go as the stone is tilted up. I am super surprised it is visible at 90 degrees. I have until Monday to decide what to do with this stone. I do love the color and have not seen it elsewhere. It usually has more peach or even purple to it.

I am in contact with a lapidary for cutting the top stone I want on this pendant. DO you think custom for a morganite would be more than what I have already paid? I really would not want to do that.

Funny, I have never been a fan of round cuts either. Wonky is another story! ;)2

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
@Odyssey44 Not much to say, but I really like the color of your new morganite. I think step cuts like that kite will always show a bit of a tilt window, but imo beryls look prettier with them than any brilliant style. What you chose is right up my alley if I were to ever seek a morganite.

I appreciate you saying that! I really do. I keep going back and forth but the one thing I know I do like is the color. I am all about that true pink!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Odyssey44 I believe the cut you were referring to is likely to be a Shield cut, however I could be wrong.

Good luck with your search to find the stone you desire.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I am in contact with a lapidary for cutting the top stone I want on this pendant. DO you think custom for a morganite would be more than what I have already paid? I really would not want to do that.

Funny, I have never been a fan of round cuts either. Wonky is another story! ;)2
I never commissioned a custom stone, even the few top-cut stones I have I chose from a catalogue.
So I can't speak on pricing of custom but I'm sure cutters could give you a ballpark.
Some cutters would also offer to search for rough for you, if an intense pink is not in stock, but that may require patience.
Maybe others can advise further

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a thread on loose CS stone mark-ups:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-markup-is-acceptable-on-loose-stones.277374/

Buy direct from the source as in from the lapidary artists and cut out the resellers as resellers would add a mark-up in order to make it worth their while to buy ready-cut CSs to keep in their inventory waiting for buyers.

I did purchase a couple of items from AJS when they had one of their closing down sales. However, they were not expensive items, and I paid what I was prepared to pay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results