shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! My lady has fallen in love with a ring I can't afford!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Help! My lady has fallen in love with a ring I can't aff

I'm sorry that the ring you got was such a disappointment. It sucks when things aren't up to your expectations. I'm coming in late to the thread so I apologize if this has been repeated but have you considered going with Mark Broumand? This one is out of your price range http://www.markbroumand.com/222ct-fancy-yellow-cushion-cut-diamond-engagement-anniversary-ring__2752-1d4133835/ but I know he can work with you. I bought my yellow diamond pear from him and am currently working with him on something else and I have to say his stuff is amazing AND it's even prettier in person. He does custom peices and has stock of yellow diamonds. Just some food for thought. In the end this will all just be a memory and you'll have a happy wife with a gorgeous ring on her hand.

ETA: Don't let the I1 grading scare you away. The cut on the radiants does a great job of hiding inclusions. My pear is an I1 and I can't see inclusions at all with the naked eye.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aw Passafire... I am sorry... there have been posters on here that I have read that don't want to give their lady/SO the ring of their desire, they think it's not worth it... you want to give her the best you can.. that is a wonderful thing!! I have a son who's 26 and I wonder if he would care as much as you do. (I just wish after 7 years living with his g/f they would JUST get engaged !).. you will find your ring for your fiancee.. to many woman/SOs the ring means a lot.. to some not.. I am amazed sometimes when I read things about people saying it's shallow etc.. it's NOT, it's loving, it's the start of a long-term journey in life together.... so I hope you pull your head up and start again.. all the posters pointers I looked have wonderful stones and styles. I would love anything by DBL! someday maybe! you are a good fiancee!!!

kate

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

I am so sorry that the ring from JA did not look like the one on their website, it was a gorgeous choice.

Perhaps using this double halo setting from James Allen and maybe they can make the inner halo out of yellow gold. Then put one of these diamonds in the middle(the radiant one gets my vote, lol). I think combination will look a lot like Wintottys' dreamy ring.

Setting
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-diamond-split-shank-double-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17845

Yellow diamonds
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/all-diamonds/?CaratFrom=0.05&CaratTo=10.00&Color=Fancy&FancyColor=yellow&PriceFrom=400&PriceTo=2000&Sort=Price desc ,DefaultOrder&TabSelected=3&ps=15&DiamondID=241143,185645,172360,182889

Hang in there!
Warm regards,
PattyCo

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sorry it didn't work out! Luckily there is a good return policy on it. You are really thoughtful to go through all of this for her. Take a little break and start again. It's going to require some effort, patience, and a little faith but it will turn out beautiful in the end. After all it took some time for you to find the perfect girl so now it's going to take some time to find the perfect ring !

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Passafire

Rough_Rock

Cluless|1392876829|3619138 said:

I Found the same diamond. It is the exact shade of yellow I've been looking for... what the JA ring should have been. Honestly I wish that stone was slightly smaller to help with the price. At $3,000, I don't see it leaving room in my budget to work on the setting. Especially as it seems that David works mostly with 18k gold and platinum. Don't see much in the way of 14k.

I am shooting an initial message his way now to see if I can get some input from him. I should have just gone with DBL in the first place... every ring I've seen from them is stunning.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

CharmyPoo|1391772900|3609909 said:

If that is the ring I love, I wouldn't be happy receiving a yellow stone in a plain setting and then having to live with it for 1-2 years or more before I can upgrade. This assumes that the fiance is even the type who would want to upgrade and assumes that the OP wants to spend more down the road. I believe the whole ring can be remade within budget which is why I would go that route instead.

Who says ya have to live with it (the plain setting)? Get a job and go buy it yerself! :lol: But sometimes these young women who want the sun and the moon, too, have to get a grip on reality and realize that the budget is the budget. What could that setting be purchased for? What's wrong with guy buying a nice center diamond, but the woman paying for her dream setting herself, if she wants it so badly and the ring has to be exactly that?

My mother is actually of the opinion that there should be NO big and expensive diamond ring until after the marriage has lasted a year or more. She says back in her day, a .25ct - .45ct in a mounting with a few sidestones was an engagement ring. She thinks that nowadays there are too many big diamond rings being purchased for marriages that don't last. So like the old days, you get a starter e-ring that is affordable, and then if your relationship and finances work out, you get something big and impressive for an anniversary.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TC1987|1392905205|3619242 said:
CharmyPoo|1391772900|3609909 said:

If that is the ring I love, I wouldn't be happy receiving a yellow stone in a plain setting and then having to live with it for 1-2 years or more before I can upgrade. This assumes that the fiance is even the type who would want to upgrade and assumes that the OP wants to spend more down the road. I believe the whole ring can be remade within budget which is why I would go that route instead.

Who says ya have to live with it (the plain setting)? Get a job and go buy it yerself! :lol: But sometimes these young women who want the sun and the moon, too, have to get a grip on reality and realize that the budget is the budget. What could that setting be purchased for? What's wrong with guy buying a nice center diamond, but the woman paying for her dream setting herself, if she wants it so badly and the ring has to be exactly that?

My mother is actually of the opinion that there should be NO big and expensive diamond ring until after the marriage has lasted a year or more. She says back in her day, a .25ct - .45ct in a mounting with a few sidestones was an engagement ring. She thinks that nowadays there are too many big diamond rings being purchased for marriages that don't last. So like the old days, you get a starter e-ring that is affordable, and then if your relationship and finances work out, you get something big and impressive for an anniversary.
Not everyone "upgrades"
I hadn't really even heard of it before this website. And like charmpoo said, not everyone thinks like us. So the idea I changing their "one" engagement ring doesn't always sit well.

A friend of mine has an under 5k budget as well, but refused to buy a single solitaire ecause he knows she doesn't want that, and he "wants I get it right the first time"

Passafire

Rough_Rock

Anyone have experience with esty? I went back looking through the whole thread and revisiting suggestions... somehow I managed to miss what looks to be the exact ring from Helzburg on their site... literally, the exact ring. But the price does not add up.

I shouldn't be able to get anywhere near this ring for the $3,000 they are asking...something doesn't add up. No specs on the diamond listed other than EGL certified.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/171479500/natural-105-carat-fancy-yellow-diamond?ref=related-6

edit: I guess the actual site it comes from is diamondenvy.com Esty is some kind of community site apparently.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

That would sure send up some red flags for me, all their pics looks like they're swiped from Helzberg or other sites.

And the price is too good to be true, I wouldn't touch it.

Passafire

Rough_Rock

Andelain|1392907278|3619261 said:
That would sure send up some red flags for me, all their pics looks like they're swiped from Helzberg or other sites.

And the price is too good to be true, I wouldn't touch it.

Ah I see where I went wrong. The TCW is .89 the center stone is much smaller... only .36ct. Now the price makes sense.

Still... it is the darn same ring as Helzburg, with a smaller center stone.

On the actual site, they actually have a picture of the cert for the diamond.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

For the price, the colored stones are probably irradiated. Something they forgot to disclose. Run, Forrest, run!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your struggle has been heart wrenching...

I second the suggestion to call David at DBL. he did a ring for me and I loved working with him. At least check the options he might have for you in your budget. His site is filled with Beautiful yellow diamonds... I'm sure there is a PS discount. That Etsy thing would scare me!

Passafire

Rough_Rock

Mayk|1392908293|3619269 said:
Your struggle has been heart wrenching...

I second the suggestion to call David at DBL. he did a ring for me and I loved working with him. At least check the options he might have for you in your budget. His site is filled with Beautiful yellow diamonds... I'm sure there is a PS discount. That Etsy thing would scare me!

I sent him an email this morning to get started and see what maybe he could come up with for me. Sent him the gallery I created from the JA ring. We'll see!

Yeah the esty thing is too much sketch, but interesting none the less :tongue:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Don't forget to check out cushion cuts...this one is nice and square with lovely faceting color is Y/Z...nice price...with the setting having a yellow gold cup it can make these Y/Z colors look like fancy yellow. DBL does this all the time

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/yellow/cushion-cut/0.71-carat-si1-clarity-sku-258753

This one is very large and I like the lemon yellow color:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/yellow/radiant-cut/0.96-carat-si2-clarity-sku-169849

This antique cut cushion would be my choice on DBL...very lovely faceting and cut by Yoram:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/old-mine-brilliant-86ct-branded-dbl-modern-antique-diamond-gia-r5168

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TC1987|1392905205|3619242 said:

Nothing's wrong with it -- I did this exact thing! :bigsmile:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Passafire|1392902004|3619228 said:
Cluless|1392876829|3619138 said:

I Found the same diamond. It is the exact shade of yellow I've been looking for... what the JA ring should have been. Honestly I wish that stone was slightly smaller to help with the price. At $3,000, I don't see it leaving room in my budget to work on the setting. Especially as it seems that David works mostly with 18k gold and platinum. Don't see much in the way of 14k.

I am shooting an initial message his way now to see if I can get some input from him. I should have just gone with DBL in the first place... every ring I've seen from them is stunning.

The stone is 2995 if you like that setting starting price is 2250( looks like with that size stone should be about right) not too over budget good luck!

Passafire

Rough_Rock

I've been working with David over the last couple days. You guys were right, he is absolutely great. He's even mentioned being able to get started crafting my custom ring for me while I wait on my funds to be returned from JA, and willing to put it into his stock if I do not purchase it. That's incredible to me, especially with the customization we are looking at.

I am waiting until early next week to make a final decision, as he expects to get a few new Fancy Yellow's in for me to look at early in the week, but here is where we stand so far... let me know what you guys think!

Starting with a setting, we are going be replicating the double halo/yellow diamond inner halo of this ring currently in his stock:

r5464-double-halo-ring-c_1.jpg

BUT, instead of using the rounded setting, we are going to be going with the rectangular look of this setting, but as a double halo to replicate the above in overall scheme (white gold/diamonds outter, yellow inner, white gold band):

r5408-yellow-diamond-ring-canary-aab.jpg

Of his current stock, I've narrowed my center stone to the following 3 choices (will wait to see what he gets in early next week before making a final decision):

#1) .47ct Radiant cut, VS1 Fancy Intense Yellow (I think the shape of this stone would be PERFECT, and I LOVE the color, it's just a little on the small side).
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=r5444&search%5Bmode%5D=any

#2 .59ct Cushion cut, VS2, Fancy Light Yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-cushion-cut-diamond-59ct-fancy-yellow-vs2-cushion-cut-amazing-stone-r4612

#3 .59ct Cushion cut, VS2, Fancy Light Yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=r4611&search%5Bmode%5D=any

These 3 stones are almost exactly the same price point. The plus side is I will stay right around what I had spent on the JA ring, the downside would be losing overall size. The stones he has coming in next week are all .70-.75ct, and would push the cost up to closer to $5,000 total instead of the $4,000 I had previously spent. but will equal the size of the JA ring... and the quality is likely going to be FAR superior.

Do you guys have opinions on which of these 3 stones you think would be best, without seeing the larger stones he is getting in next week for me to look at and consider? I'm getting excited again either way... David's reputation speaks for itself, I don't think I will end up disappointed with going with any of them.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

David is the man. Really fun to talk to on the phone, and I really want to work with him in the future.

You will not regret choosing a fancy intense over a light fancy. The double halo will visually minimize the minuscule difference in size there is between that radiant and the cushions. If you're not doing so already, remember to look at the spread of the diamond (length and width) rather than carat weight. This is important because even though the incoming 0.70-0.75 ct diamonds have 40-50% more mass, they may only face up about 5-15% bigger than the radiant (perhaps 20% but not likely). I would much prefer a slightly smaller, more intense and lively diamond than one slightly bigger and much more expensive, with no gain in color and liveliness (and potentially a loss in both).

The most important thing, for me, is simply overall balance of the ring, both in proportions and color. It seems like you're on a great track to both, working with David.

But my goodness, are you sure you don't want an all gold ring like the one you posted? :cheeky: that thing is b-u-ti-ful. my goodness.

Horsiechick

Rough_Rock

Hi!

I went on Helzberg and looked at the ring you are talking about...very beautiful...I am shopping for diamond stud earrings so I did a shopping comparison with Helzberg...The top of the line offering they had was neither clarity or color close to what I have found on other sites and for $3500 more...example...I want VVS2/G, 1.90 total weight earrings. I can find them on Blue Nile all day long for around $10,500 and up. Helzberg's best was I1/H-I for $13,500. It seems as if Helzberg is really expensive!!! My suggestion, try Blue Nile for your lady's ring and build it yourself. See what you come with and good luck!!!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Passafire|1393071271|3620594 said:
I've been working with David over the last couple days. You guys were right, he is absolutely great. He's even mentioned being able to get started crafting my custom ring for me while I wait on my funds to be returned from JA, and willing to put it into his stock if I do not purchase it. That's incredible to me, especially with the customization we are looking at.

I am waiting until early next week to make a final decision, as he expects to get a few new Fancy Yellow's in for me to look at early in the week, but here is where we stand so far... let me know what you guys think!

Starting with a setting, we are going be replicating the double halo/yellow diamond inner halo of this ring currently in his stock:

r5464-double-halo-ring-c_1.jpg

BUT, instead of using the rounded setting, we are going to be going with the rectangular look of this setting, but as a double halo to replicate the above in overall scheme (white gold/diamonds outter, yellow inner, white gold band):

r5408-yellow-diamond-ring-canary-aab.jpg

Of his current stock, I've narrowed my center stone to the following 3 choices (will wait to see what he gets in early next week before making a final decision):

#1) .47ct Radiant cut, VS1 Fancy Intense Yellow (I think the shape of this stone would be PERFECT, and I LOVE the color, it's just a little on the small side).
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=r5444&search%5Bmode%5D=any

#2 .59ct Cushion cut, VS2, Fancy Light Yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-cushion-cut-diamond-59ct-fancy-yellow-vs2-cushion-cut-amazing-stone-r4612

#3 .59ct Cushion cut, VS2, Fancy Light Yellow
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=r4611&search%5Bmode%5D=any

These 3 stones are almost exactly the same price point. The plus side is I will stay right around what I had spent on the JA ring, the downside would be losing overall size. The stones he has coming in next week are all .70-.75ct, and would push the cost up to closer to $5,000 total instead of the $4,000 I had previously spent. but will equal the size of the JA ring... and the quality is likely going to be FAR superior.

Do you guys have opinions on which of these 3 stones you think would be best, without seeing the larger stones he is getting in next week for me to look at and consider? I'm getting excited again either way... David's reputation speaks for itself, I don't think I will end up disappointed with going with any of them.

stone number one (of your 3 choices) is so VERY beautiful to me.....
The halo's are going to visually enlarge the stone of course, and I think you are going to get the sunniest and the most bling for your budget !!!
SMART MAN !!!!
We are all WAITING to see how this plays out !!!!

oh, and YA that all-gold ring is :love: :love: :love:
But I think the white outer halo and shank will really play up the gold color WOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!

Passafire

Rough_Rock

The all yellow gold is a bit much for me, but I love the shape. David asked for a link to this thread and was blown away by all of your comments. Also mentioned a special PS discount... so not only have you guys found me the right person, but saved me money too! :appl:

Passafire

Rough_Rock

teobdl|1393080845|3620605 said:
David is the man. Really fun to talk to on the phone, and I really want to work with him in the future.

You will not regret choosing a fancy intense over a light fancy. The double halo will visually minimize the minuscule difference in size there is between that radiant and the cushions. If you're not doing so already, remember to look at the spread of the diamond (length and width) rather than carat weight. This is important because even though the incoming 0.70-0.75 ct diamonds have 40-50% more mass, they may only face up about 5-15% bigger than the radiant (perhaps 20% but not likely). I would much prefer a slightly smaller, more intense and lively diamond than one slightly bigger and much more expensive, with no gain in color and liveliness (and potentially a loss in both).

The most important thing, for me, is simply overall balance of the ring, both in proportions and color. It seems like you're on a great track to both, working with David.

But my goodness, are you sure you don't want an all gold ring like the one you posted? :cheeky: that thing is b-u-ti-ful. my goodness.

He sent me the specs on a few of the diamonds he is getting in next week.

One of them is .70ct
MEASUREMENTS: 5.31 x 4.87 x 2.97 mm

Another is .75ct
MEASUREMENTS: 5.03 x 4.83 x 3.37 mm

Measurements are L x W x D right? So technically what your saying is comparing those 2 dimensions, the .70ct would actually look bigger (though realistically not noticeable to the eye) than the .75ct right? There is more "hidden to the eye" depth in the larger of the stones?

The measurements on the .47ct (#1 stone) that I am in love with are: 5.14 x 3.80 x 2.64.

This comment has been SUPER helpful, not something I had thought about before... basically now what I'm seeing is that I would be paying $1000 more for 20% more width (roughly those .70ct and .75ct stones are 1mm wider) while the rest of the size increase is theoretically wasted as far as what you see.

This of course doesn't take into account that the larger stones are both rated higher in clarity. VVS1 and VVS2, which adds to that increase in cost as well.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm very sorry that JA ring didn't work out, but it sounds like you're now on the path to the right ring! :appl: I'm looking forward to your next installment! :))

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My best suggestion to you is going to be having David take a picture of your top 3 stones together, this way you will have the best ideas of how the stones actually compare to each other. Good luck and good for you for working so hard to get your lady what she loves! :appl:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

oooooooo GAWD I LOVE these kind of threads..... :appl: :appl: :appl:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I assume you know her band size.

There used to be a tool floating around somewhere which let you adjust the band size and finger length of a cartoon hand and put rings on her, but I can't find it for the life of me, alas.

How big is your melee? My advice would be to make a square of paper with a rectangle the size of your stone in the middle and rings of melee around the edge. Or better yet, try and find a cheap ring with a princess stone (or even a hunk of plastic) the size of your rectangle and let her try it on, or just carry it in your pocket and sneak looks at it when her hands are in view.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ChristineRose|1393105021|3620791 said:
I assume you know her band size.

There used to be a tool floating around somewhere which let you adjust the band size and finger length of a cartoon hand and put rings on her, but I can't find it for the life of me, alas.

How big is your melee? My advice would be to make a square of paper with a rectangle the size of your stone in the middle and rings of melee around the edge. Or better yet, try and find a cheap ring with a princess stone (or even a hunk of plastic) the size of your rectangle and let her try it on, or just carry it in your pocket and sneak looks at it when her hands are in view.

that was a great tool but sadly on a diamond website, so not really PS approved, so they don't like it posted. Other thing is that only showed a solitaire, so not as helpful as the ring will have a halo.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go for the Fancy Intense radiant. I think the color will be more in line with what you are wanting.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't have any advice regarding stones because I am no expert in yellow diamonds and never have seen one in person, but I have been following nonetheless. I have to say I really enjoy how much thought you are putting into this and I'm happy that your ring search has improved!! I love your idea for the custom setting! Can't wait to see the results! :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results