shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! My lady has fallen in love with a ring I can't afford!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help! My lady has fallen in love with a ring I can't aff

kenny|1391630088|3608559 said:
Just tell her you can't afford it.

Since you two are planning to get married now would be a good time to work through this.

welcome back, Kenny!! :wavey: :wavey:

OP- you have gotten some great suggestions! One other you may want to try is asking DBL or Leibish for a W, X, Y, Z yellow diamond. When these are set with a high karat yellow gold cup- they look VERY yellow. You will be able to get a larger yellow diamond than if you move into "fancy" yellows. This may bring you closer to your budget. Here is mine without the yellow cup underneath to enhance the color and you can see how yellow it is and it would look much more vivid with an enhancement cup

phpzghh8sam.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Passafire|1391626842|3608509 said:
doubledouble|1391626529|3608504 said:
Passafire|1391626168|3608497 said:
Thank you all SOO much for the suggestions, all of these sites you guys recommended are EXACTLY what I needed. That JamesAllen one with the yellow gold paving... at 20% off, might be too good to pass up. It's even a split band! ... only the clarity isn't even listed?
I would call or use their live chat option to ask about the center stone on that ring :)

I just did... chat operator told me "I can't tell you the clarity, all of our premade jewelry is not graded...yeah, no thanks.

JA is one of the top recommended vendors on here. I personally have bought from them three times. Their specialty lies in selling loose diamonds with or with-out settings. The premade pieces I would guess are third party pieces. If I were in your position I would look thru the fancy colored diamonds and see if anything catches your eye in your budget.

DBL or Leibish are also excellent choices. Just be sure to ask about the upgrade policy if that is something that even remotely think you want to take advantage of in the future.

Also love the XYZ suggestion from pinkjewel.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that if you work with a good vendor you can get something very nice for your lady in budget.

I personally would advise just getting her the center stone now and upgrading the setting later on. IF and ONLY IF you think that your finances will allow for that.

If not, go for the whole ring now.

Your other option is a yellow sapphire center stone.

For diamonds:

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/13467.htm $3,600 this stone
in this setting: http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7528W44JJ 1,900 plus PS discount 20%= $1520

Just a bit over at $5,120. ID Jewelry can get the setting for you and set the stone into it.

This stone-- with the same halo is another option: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/yellow/radiant-cut/0.70-carat-vs2-clarity-sku-225468.. And it comes in at only 50 dollars over budget. Though JA will charge you 100 bucks to use an outside setting. Which is worth it. So you're right at the same price there too.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

That ring design is very unique and I think she will be disappointed if she doesn't get almost the same design. If I loved that ring, I wouldn't be happy with just some plain split shank and double halo.

I suggest you contact My Diamond Zone and David Klass for a custom made ring quote - they are the most affordable here and I think you will be surprised at the price. Then, I would spend the reminder of the money on a second hand stone off ebay or pre-loved forums here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo|1391638912|3608671 said:
That ring design is very unique and I think she will be disappointed if she doesn't get almost the same design. If I loved that ring, I wouldn't be happy with just some plain split shank and double halo.

That's why I was suggesting to just invest all the money on a lovely center stone in a 300 solitaire temporary setting and upgrade the setting later on.

Either of these in a white temp solitaire would be lovely. Then she can shop around for settings. And you can reset the diamond in whatever setting she likes once the money is saved up.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/13313.htm
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/13326.htm

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo|1391638912|3608671 said:

I suggest you contact My Diamond Zone and David Klass for a custom made ring quote - they are the most affordable here and I think you will be surprised at the price. Then, I would spend the reminder of the money on a second hand stone off ebay or pre-loved forums here.

I'm included to slightly disagree with this.

Now if course get her as close to her vision as your budget allows. But lot of peoples "dream ring" doesn't necessarily mean it's that or nothing. If it's out of your budget you make key design tweets to keep the overall look yet more budget friendly. Which is by people with steal rings of pink diamonds or large red rubies end up with something similar but not exact. If the budget was unlimited, sure. But it isn't.

If you can get exact that's cool. But I mean is that the first yellow stone she saw? Was she just blown away because she realized yellow diamonds are awesome? I'd need more info before saying it HAS TO BE the exact same

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

good point Niel. Is it the yellow diamond of the elaborate setting that made her say this is the one. I would focus on the stone. You can always save for a reset upgrade later.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

too late to correct i meant "Which is why people with dream rings of pink diamonds ..."

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1391655539|3608944 said:
too late to correct i meant "Which is why people with dream rings of pink diamonds ..."

How did you know my dream ring was pink lol my next project (no time soon) is a .10-.20 pink pear shape pear in a double halo one pinkk other white.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Can't afford and don't want to spend more are two different things. Often people use can't afford when they really mean don't want to spend more. I don't know what the OP's situation and I don't know if he wants to spend more down the road. Upgrade and resetting are common occurrences on PS. I dare say in the real world ... e-ring are often once and done. I have friends that hate their rings but won't dream of resetting them or getting new ones. These are modern women too.

Anyways, not arguing with any of you on your opinions but I am just coming from a different place / angle. I would be surprised if that was the first yellow stone she saw. You walk into a mall store (at least the ones around me) - you are going to see more than one colored stone. A setting like that ... you love the setting and its not just the stone. I won't be surprised if the stone is secondary.

If that is the ring I love, I wouldn't be happy receiving a yellow stone in a plain setting and then having to live with it for 1-2 years or more before I can upgrade. This assumes that the fiance is even the type who would want to upgrade and assumes that the OP wants to spend more down the road. I believe the whole ring can be remade within budget which is why I would go that route instead.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo|1391772900|3609909 said:
A setting like that ... you love the setting and its not just the stone. I won't be surprised if the stone is secondary.

If that is the ring I love, I wouldn't be happy receiving a yellow stone in a plain setting and then having to live with it for 1-2 years or more before I can upgrade. This assumes that the fiance is even the type who would want to upgrade and assumes that the OP wants to spend more down the road. I believe the whole ring can be remade within budget which is why I would go that route instead.

I agree! I think there have been some great options within his $5000USD budget or slightly above posted here. Win-win I would think. She gets the entire shebang and he stays at budget!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree with above posters that talking to PS vendors can probably land you something much closer to your budget AND much nicer than the ring from Helzberg.

That being said, I know you don't really agree with shopping for the ring with the fiance, BUT I just wanted to say that if she's the type of girl who loves jewelery and these kinds of projects, this may be the most expensive piece of jewelery she ever owns, and letting her be part of the process and share in the excitement and the "hunt" of the perfect ring may be a gift in and of itself. She may never have a budget this big for a jewelry piece again, so instead of it being a stressful challenge for you, it could potentially be a fun and exhilirating project for her. Just saying. If you ask many of the Pricescope ladies here, a lot of what makes us squeal about our jewelery projects is the thrill of the chase. The research, the planning, the designing, and finally seeing it all come together like a dream come true.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock

I'm one of those lurkers who learned everything I know about diamonds here on PS, so feel hesitant to chime in, but feel like on this subject I can.

I am the "average diamond consumer" and as such I am voting with Neil that without more information, I am assuming she likes "the look" of a blingy haloed yellow diamond RING, not that she is a connoisseur of yellow diamonds. MOST woman when they get engaged want THE RING to show off, and stare at and fall in love with more than an excellent diamond in a boring setting that she'll have to wait a year or two before she can truly be excited about it.( MOST woman, not saying he should't get the best yellow diamond he can for his budget, just that there ARE other concerns when it comes to emotions and the whole package)

Of course also agree that I personally would want as much input as my H would be willing to give me ! I'm married to one of those guys who just don't " get" diamonds so on our anniversary two yrs later I hunted down what I wanted and that was that. I stare at it daily and he shakes his head and says " as long as you're happy".

It would be great if the OP comes back and lets us know more about his fiance !

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock

I am NOT an expert in any way, but... I feel like the James Allen preset rings might be a really great option. They will surely be better quality than the $8000 ring she fell in love with, but they have the same look. Unlike the ring she fell in love with, the diamond is untreated. They have a great return policy as I understand it so if you're not happy with the stone or the ring, you're no worse off.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I think it's worse settling for something and then both being unhappy with the end result. Both of you loved the Helzberg ring but it was the price and quality you were deterred by. I second getting a quote from David Klass for the setting and choosing a yellow diamond with the best quality within your budget.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, OP, just like EB and others have suggested, I can't conceive of getting closer to what she loved at Helzberg than that James Allen ring.

screen_shot_2014-02-07_at_5.png
(James Allen ring, 39823)

screen_shot_2014-02-07_at_5_0.png
(Helzberg ring)

Stone size: Helzberg 1ct, JA 0.71 ct, so advantage Helzberg EXCEPT that it's enhanced, so, ha, JA automatically wins. Neither is certed.
Halo style: Helzberg white diamonds, JA yellow diamonds - and if she loved the single yellow diamond, won't more be better? Advantage JA.
Styling: It's not entirely fair, since the Helzberg ring is a CAD and the JA image is an actual ring, but I like the way the JA shanks curve in towards the stone gently. Also, if you look at the side view, the Helzburg ring won't let you place a wedding band more-or-less flush against it, though the JA ring would (almost) be flush.
Price: $4024 for the JA ring, versus $8500 for the Helzberg ring. :shock:

I bet she won't even notice that it's a different ring, but the value of the JA ring is far, far greater than Helzberg's for something that to me is aesthetically the same or better. Buy it, look at it with a critical eye and maybe a loupe since you don't have stats on the diamond's clarity, see if it's beautiful in person. If it isn't? Return it. Free SIXTY-DAY returns. You even have time to plan a proposal, give it to her and if she notices it's different, return it! I'd be shocked, but maybe she's incredibly detail-oriented with a photographic memory. If she doesn't like it, return it to JA, and be honest about your budget and work on designing something custom together, as others have suggested.

edited to caption images

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I recently took a pic of this double halo at a SF jeweler.

image_1150.jpg

image_1151.jpg

They can custom make this setting, CAD, less than $3k I think.

Let me know if you want contact info.

image_1152.jpg

image_1154.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I think the James Allen setting looks GREAT, too. It is so close to her dream ring.

To everyone who works so hard on these threads to help total strangers: you guys you are really wonderful and so supportive for those who are looking for the best solutions for a diamond purchase. You guys are FANTASTIC with your ideas. Hope to get engaged soon, and super hoping if my boyfriend gets stuck, he'll ask you all. Lurking is almost like watching a diamond version of "Say Yes to the Dress" "Say yes to the ring" :twirl:

Passafire

Rough_Rock

evergreen|1391822723|3610520 said:
Wow, OP, just like EB and others have suggested, I can't conceive of getting closer to what she loved at Helzberg than that James Allen ring.

(Helzberg ring)

Stone size: Helzberg 1ct, JA 0.71 ct, so advantage Helzberg EXCEPT that it's enhanced, so, ha, JA automatically wins. Neither is certed.
Halo style: Helzberg white diamonds, JA yellow diamonds - and if she loved the single yellow diamond, won't more be better? Advantage JA.
Styling: It's not entirely fair, since the Helzberg ring is a CAD and the JA image is an actual ring, but I like the way the JA shanks curve in towards the stone gently. Also, if you look at the side view, the Helzburg ring won't let you place a wedding band more-or-less flush against it, though the JA ring would (almost) be flush.

I bet she won't even notice that it's a different ring, but the value of the JA ring is far, far greater than Helzberg's for something that to me is aesthetically the same or better. Buy it, look at it with a critical eye and maybe a loupe since you don't have stats on the diamond's clarity, see if it's beautiful in person. If it isn't? Return it. Free SIXTY-DAY returns. You even have time to plan a proposal, give it to her and if she notices it's different, return it! I'd be shocked, but maybe she's incredibly detail-oriented with a photographic memory. If she doesn't like it, return it to JA, and be honest about your budget and work on designing something custom together, as others have suggested.

edited to caption images

Just wanted to come back with a quick update. After much searching, deliberating etc... I just pulled the trigger on this JA ring after speaking to a better rep over the phone. My plan is to go back to Helzburg with this ring and compare the two side by side, and ask if I can possibly use their microscope to check out the center stone of the JA ring for myself.

Can't thank you all enough for all of the insight and direction. Amazing help, would have never found options like JA or DBL!

Will update again with results and hopefully a picture on hand soon!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Passafire|1392211812|3613495 said:

(Helzberg ring)

edited to caption images

Just wanted to come back with a quick update. After much searching, deliberating etc... I just pulled the trigger on this JA ring after speaking to a better rep over the phone. My plan is to go back to Helzburg with this ring and compare the two side by side, and ask if I can possibly use their microscope to check out the center stone of the JA ring for myself.

Can't thank you all enough for all of the insight and direction. Amazing help, would have never found options like JA or DBL!

This is so exciting! I really don't think you could've found a ring that is closer to her dream ring! Can't wait to see it! Make sure to post lots of pics! :appl:

Passafire

Rough_Rock

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

off topic not offering advice: Just wanted to say that made me laugh out loud.. how true in a way but LOL... but who doesn't want to do the best by the gf/bf.. I remember at 34 what I WANTED and what I got :shock:

kenny|1391630088|3608559 said:
Just tell her you can't afford it.

Since you two are planning to get married now would be a good time to work through this.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're going to LOL when you compare the 2 rings.

Make sure you show the sales lady and tell her what you paid for it. The quality of the stones and the setting is going to be night and day!

Btw I'm sure if you ask JA they'll send you a loop so you don't have to use theirs. Then you'll look like a real looney-the looks I get when I pull out my loop are classic!

She's going to love it. What will make her love it even more is that you researched it to make sure it really was the very best you could be getting her. Some think buying the one right then and there is the right choice but IMO it's always better to see what your options are and make sure you're not falling in love with the emotion and the moment vs the ring.

I can't wait to hear about her reaction. I hope you don't plan on waiting long to propose! :appl: :love:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats, the JA ring looks very nice, and so close to the one she likes.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintagelover229|1392218807|3613546 said:

Make sure you show the sales lady and tell her what you paid for it. The quality of the stones and the setting is going to be night and day!

Btw I'm sure if you ask JA they'll send you a loop so you don't have to use theirs. Then you'll look like a real looney-the looks I get when I pull out my loop are classic!

She's going to love it. What will make her love it even more is that you researched it to make sure it really was the very best you could be getting her. Some think buying the one right then and there is the right choice but IMO it's always better to see what your options are and make sure you're not falling in love with the emotion and the moment vs the ring.
I can't wait to hear about her reaction. I hope you don't plan on waiting long to propose! :appl: :love:

+1 -- This is so true!! :)) :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1392234263|3613732 said:
vintagelover229|1392218807|3613546 said:

+1 -- This is so true!! :)) :appl:

+1 the JA ring is a beauty. Your GF will be amazed

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Passafire|1392211812|3613495 said:

(Helzberg ring)

edited to caption images

I'm not sure why you'd even go back in to Helzburg??? Clearly, you got a much better ring. Isn't is sort of awkward to bring in a ring from another vendor and "compare" rings? I think that it's awesome that the wonderful folks of PS were able to point you in the right direction and I can't imagine that your GF wouldn't love the ring. Looking forward to pictures (and congrats!) :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah don't go back to that local store. Yours is better and you know that. And no reason to even think about it. You know they are similar and yours is a higher quality and cheaper.

don't forget to buy by Friday if you haven't already I'd hate to miss that 20% off

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results