carat
color
clarity

Help looking for a 7mm OEC

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1363747732|3409206 said:
I'm sorry the obstruction bothers you. :( That just means that we get to hunt for more, right? :bigsmile:

FK: Yes, the hunt goes on!
smoke.gif
If you see any promising OECs in the $7-8K range, I-J color, fluoro would be super... just languishing on ebay, drop me a line :rodent:

Bastet -- thanks for the tips in how to capture the fire. This baby is a firecracker, but I only got one decent shot for now with my phone. And a video or two :bigsmile: Maybe I'll upload those tomorrow and put them together with the other videos (of the ring before the reset). Love those jumpy smileys! I'll have to add them to my "repertoire" 8-)

img_6964-2.jpg

img_7005-2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it takes a long time to find an old cut that is just right for whatever your own specific desires are. If you work with a vendor you can view 30 stones and pick one you like. If you buy off ebay and from estates like we do, then you will likely OWN a series of diamonds. Everyone I know who found their beloved on the secondary market owned a few different stones before learning their own tastes and preferences.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the measurement GemFever - I have to say, this baby looks really big on your hand!
hubba%20hubba.gif

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
wooo!! I lost track of this thread for a little while and here it is!!

your ring is absolutely gorgeous and looks very very proportionate to your hand. I love it!

the facets are so crisp and lively!! :naughty: swoon!!

congrats on your find! :bigsmile:

summerlove6

Rough_Rock
GemFever, your ring is absolutely beautiful!! I love the stone and the colors it displays are AMAZING, I would certainly trade a little obstruction for that personality! The swoopy setting is beautiful and it makes me wish yellow gold suited me. Enjoy your ring and good luck in your quest for the perfect upgrade!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate every comment, it makes my day ::)

The stone is growing on me, slowly. It is really a fiery powerhouse. More fiery than my last stone, I think (though that one was whiter and didn't have any obstruction issues that I could see). I'm still going to come back with some decent fire shots sometime, been a little busy lately. Some casual pics for now. Just cause I love taking pics.

img_7129.jpg

img_7146.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad to hear it's starting to grow on you a bit. :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am a bit late to the thread - I don't venture over to this subforum much.

I was wondering who you used to rehab your stone. I found it wasn't that easy to just find someone off the street and at the same time I feel bad for bothering vendors for favors to recut. I have another stone that will need rehab soon - it's arrived a week ago but I haven't had a chance to go pick it up.

To Dreamer's point, the obstruction issue is pretty common and it will take a few tries (or just really lucky) to find one with minimal obstruction. I mentioned in my thread but I had another transitional diamond that I purchased partially because of my need for a white diamond. It was well cut and real bold but the obstruction bothered me a lot. I ended up returning the stone after a month but I had other reasons too - price, the overall facet pattern, and the manly look of the diamond - I like more feminine looking stones (don't ask me to explain this).

Your stone is lovely and the flower pattern is so pretty. It will tie you over until the next one! I know it will pop up sooner or later.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Charmy!

I actually know what you mean about a feminine diamond. When I was looking at your new stone the thought that the diamond was very elegant and delicate crossed my mind more than once. Definitely feminine. I'm gonna go check out pics of the other stone to see about the masculine one.

About your other question, could you message me via LT? There is a link to one of my listings in the first post of this thread.

Thanks for the nice words about my stone ::) My mom saw it for the first time yesterday, she was blown away actually. She told me it was the prettiest stone I had so far :praise: Of course I'm not sure if she's just saying that so I stop searching for a new one ;))

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
I think you OEC is so incredibly beautiful!!! That kind of flower pattern is exactly what I am looking for. I think your ring is stunning!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much almondblossom! I love your avatar pic ::)

Finally made some flower shots!

img_8338.jpg

img_8384.jpg

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! It is my youngest daughter being very creative while painting :)

The flower pictures are beautiful. Your ring is one of my favorites now! I LOVE your OEC! I think the pattern is lovely and it is a perfect size on your finger. Do you know the depth, table etc?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
almondblossom|1364837921|3417990 said:
Thanks! It is my youngest daughter being very creative while painting :)

The flower pictures are beautiful. Your ring is one of my favorites now! I LOVE your OEC! I think the pattern is lovely and it is a perfect size on your finger. Do you know the depth, table etc?

Thank you ::)

I don't have a lab report on the stone yet, I was too eager to have it on my finger to wait a month for GIA. I'll get it done some time... All I have for now is the appraisal it came with, and it was appraised while set. So approximately, the depth is 64%, and the table 45%.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow GemFever, those flower shots are great and your diamond looks amazing!! I have to say, it looks really white in the pics and the faceting is lovely, just so very pretty!!

likeit.gif

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks junebug! 8) It faces up pretty white most of the time. I don't see warmth from the top, usually only from the side in certain lighting. It's a nice stone, I don't know why I can't turn off my "search" mode. Though I am getting lazy with my ebay browsing. It's tiring to always be on the lookout like a hawk!

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
GemFever,
I didn't have a chance to post in your topic yet, but I read all five pages of it and I agree with everybody - it's a beautiful diamond and a great find.
It faces up so white, and the cut seems to be great.
Can I ask, what makes you keep looking - cut, color, size (there is an epedemy of large antique stones on PS lately, soon the only place to buy a 3-4 carat antique stone would be a Priscescope Pre-loved forum :))? With me it's the excitement of searching and waiting for it to come in the mail. Part of the reason I am having buyers remorse now, is that I have zero reasons now to search ebay for an old cut.

Midsommer

Rough_Rock
It looks absolutely stunning, and I love the unfussy setting - looks perfect on your hand.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Midsommer, thank you so much!

Inna, you could start searching for something even rarer on ebay... say, french cuts :naughty:

There are several reasons why I keep looking:
- I'd like a higher color. This stone is not too yellow by any means and most of the time faces up white, but having had a GIA-J, I know I prefer the whiter shade.
- I also have some mind-clean issues about what happens under the table of this stone. Whether it's obstruction or just general over-darkness, sometimes I worry that it's not as bright as it should be. Again, comparing to my previous 1ct OEC (the J), I don't recall it having the same degree of shade under the table. But this is bothering me less now because the diamond is a fireball and looks amazing most of the time.
- I wish it had fluorescence! But I'm not patient enough to really hold out until I find everything else I want *and* fluorescence, sadly.

The size is perfect for me right now. The facet pattern I also really like 8) So maybe I'll give up the search soon. But still, I want that higher color...

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
GemFever said:
Midsommer, thank you so much!

Inna, you could start searching for something even rarer on ebay... say, french cuts :naughty:

There are several reasons why I keep looking:
- I'd like a higher color. This stone is not too yellow by any means and most of the time faces up white, but having had a GIA-J, I know I prefer the whiter shade.
- I also have some mind-clean issues about what happens under the table of this stone. Whether it's obstruction or just general over-darkness, sometimes I worry that it's not as bright as it should be. Again, comparing to my previous 1ct OEC (the J), I don't recall it having the same degree of shade under the table. But this is bothering me less now because the diamond is a fireball and looks amazing most of the time.
- I wish it had fluorescence! But I'm not patient enough to really hold out until I find everything else I want *and* fluorescence, sadly.

The size is perfect for me right now. The facet pattern I also really like 8) So maybe I'll give up the search soon. But still, I want that higher color...

It's not even fun searching for French cuts, they don't exist in nature in sizes bigger than 0.05 :wink2: . By the way they remind a lot of AVCs, so I think if you would go with AVC melee you won't notice a difference.
What was the table size of your old stone? Was it bigger than this one? As much as I like tiny crowns I think you get less obstruction issues with bigger ones. Takes some of the fire away, but allows you to see better the movement of the flower petals.
I did learn about myself, that I strongly prefer higher colors. It took me years of buying lower color old cut diamonds, to be able to find one in high color and to be able to afford it too:). You are lucky that you know what you want on your second OEC diamond, I was all over the place for a few years, just hoarding :twirl:
Nothing beats fluorescence. I am down to three stones - MRB, AVC and OEC and two of them have GIA Strong Blue Flour and AVC has AGS medium blue (but its so strong, so I wonder if GIA would assign a SBF to it).
Since I am off the big stones market, I'll be happy to throw you links if I find something magnificent that fits your requirements. I think that 1.9 K OEC on GOG site is a beauty. It was on my list for awhile. It also has a medium fluor.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Inna, what happened to the big OMC you got? I didn't see it for sale in Pre-Loved, but maybe I missed it. I thought at first maybe that's what you had re-cut into an AVC, but it wasn't a very high color, was it?

My 1.01J OEC (sourced by GOG) had a table even smaller than my current OEC. It was 42.80%. I think the 1.75ct stone has more fire, but as an overall package, the 1ct was pretty sweet. I'd love to find something just like it, but more budget friendly. I'd appreciate it very much if you could send links to bigger stones my way :mrgreen: I am on a budget though, so AVRs and most of the JbEG stuff is out for me. At least for now.

Bigger french cuts do exist! I actually got a ring from ebay with 3+mm frenchies, but I returned it because it was too expensive for me at the time ($3.5K or so) and the stones had fleabites on them, so I returned. I regret it now :(

img_447.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-ebay-rollercoaster-french-cuts.184125/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-ebay-rollercoaster-french-cuts.184125/[/URL]

Anyway, you have to be super crazy patient and persistent, but you can find them every now and then. Oh, and I do think the french cuts are a lot like AVCs, but like the very center of the AVC (my favorite part) without the frills around the edges. I like them for that. Plus, AVCs are expensive... not like french cuts are cheap either. But anyway. I still have hope of finding my frenchies on a budget!

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
I saw your thread with that ring and I thought it was a great find! I recut a different stone (was a mix between cushion and OMC. as much as I love old cuts, that was not a good one. I'll make a separate post about it.
I don't have that OMC anymore. I downsized to three stones D, I and K (and some smaller jewerly pieces). I let go of everything else that was lower color.
Do you plan to have it certified?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds like some epic downsizing! Congrats on being able to do it!

I do plan to get this one certed some time. My tentative plan is to find the whiter OEC and then send this one off to GIA. Get the GIA cert, and then sell. Shall see how it plays out.

summerlove6

Rough_Rock
I love your new flower pics!! They really show off the beautiful faceting of your stone.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Gemfever, we are ring twins!!! I just acquired an OEC and set it in the vintage setting that was offered to me with the diamond and the setting looks JUST like yours. I would post a pic but I don't want to add it to YOUR thread. Keep your eye out, maybe one day I'll get around to a SMTB thread.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
heraanderson|1365575671|3423881 said:
Gemfever, we are ring twins!!! I just acquired an OEC and set it in the vintage setting that was offered to me with the diamond and the setting looks JUST like yours. I would post a pic but I don't want to add it to YOUR thread. Keep your eye out, maybe one day I'll get around to a SMTB thread.

Ooh, exciting! I don't mind if you post here, if you'd like. I am curious to see it :naughty: Will keep an eye out on SMTB, too!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, this is breathtaking!! That gorgeous stone, the yummy yellow gold... :love: :love:

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
Hi GemFever! I have a question about when you had your girdle rehabbed on the 1.75. Did the girdle stay bruted or did it have to be polished? I'm asking because I have found a stone that I like and it seems a little "squigley" around the edges in the video but I'd hate to have it polished and lose the brute.
P.S. Are you working on french cut band now?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
plummiecat|1367623011|3439889 said:
Hi GemFever! I have a question about when you had your girdle rehabbed on the 1.75. Did the girdle stay bruted or did it have to be polished? I'm asking because I have found a stone that I like and it seems a little "squigley" around the edges in the video but I'd hate to have it polished and lose the brute.
P.S. Are you working on french cut band now?

Hi Plummie! It got polished. I have to admit I'm not completely educated about bruted girdles, I just saw once in one of Circe's posts that a bruted girdle may be what gives the OECs an extra white appearance face-up. In the back of my mind I kind of wish I knew more and didn't have to change the bruted nature when I got the stone polished, but I just went ahead. Same thing with another OEC I'm having polished now. But I didn't notice the 1.75 suddenly appearing less white. I'd say the polished girdle didn't affect its appearance as far as I can tell. Besides the fact that it looks clean and stuff.

I'll go check out your other post in the 7-8mm search thread.

ETA: oh, and how could I forget to respond about the french cut band :bigsmile: Yes! I'm waiting until it's time to send the stones to the jeweler who'll be setting them. It'll be a half-eternity. I'm so excited!!! I'll update my frenchie thread soon (waiting to get a gemstone scale so I can weigh them before I post. It'll be more fun that way I think).

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi GemFever! :wavey:

Totally off topic here, but do you mind if I email you a question...would love your opinion on something. :bigsmile:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
valmanin|1368103551|3443325 said:
Hi GemFever! :wavey:

Totally off topic here, but do you mind if I email you a question...would love your opinion on something. :bigsmile:

Hey there, of course! ::) I'll be on the lookout for your email. No need to ask ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results