carat
color
clarity

Help looking for a 7mm OEC

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi gals,

It's time for me to ask for help in looking for an upgrade. I've sold my engagement ring and my "backup" stone (chipped 1.3ct L-M OEC), and I'm trying really, really, *really* hard to be patient and wait until I find the right stone for the upgrade. It's not easy being patient when there is no ring on your finger! I've been wearing my 3-stone Mahenge spinel silver ring in the meantime. It's super cute, but I still want an OEC!

Here's what I'm looking for: a classic OEC, 7mm+ in diameter, on the whiter side (I-J would be ideal, but a white K could work too). My budget is around $7K. I like small tables (in the 40 percents), flower/snowflake pattern under the table, high crown, pretty kozibe. Fluoro would be like a cherry on top, but I know it's rare, so it's not a must.

Adam at OWD sent me a photo of two contenders today, but neither one really grabbed me. Plus, one of them (1.43ct) is out of budget by over $1K. I'll attach the photo -- the left one is 1.43 J VS1, the right is 1.45 J VS2. I like the pattern of the 1.45 better, but it's a bit off round, so I'm not completely convinced.

ForteKitty sent a contender my way (thank you!), it's a 1.5ct K Si1 ebay stone that's located in a shop in my home state. However, the asking price is $1K above my budget AND I'd have to pay a 6% tax on it since it's in my state. I'm thinking even if I can get them to drop the price, the price would still be steep with the taxes, for an ebay stone. Photo below. Is that a prong reflection under the table at approximately 9 o'clock?

Dreamer sent a contender my way (thank you!), but it's a bit out of budget, and more importantly, rather warm (maybe M or warmer). I may warm up to warmer stones (haha!), but I'm not there yet. I really loved the look of my 1ct J.

Then there is another ebay stone that's in the back of my mind, a 1.8ct K that's going for a little above $7K, but no return policy. And the seller is not too cooperative on that. And it's been on ebay for a while, auctions keep ending with no bids. Can't be a good thing. Though in my impatience, I almost want to buy a plane ticket and go see it. But I dunno. I would spend a bunch of cash on plane tickets, car rental... and it's risky, and who knows if that stone is any good.

So, gals, if you come across anything that fits my specs, drop me a line? If it's an auction, maybe you could contact me through Loupe Troop to reduce the risk of lurker competition (sorry lurkers ::) ). I hope it will be OK to post a link to my own pre-Loved thread, it's for something that's already sold. Actually, I'll include the thread I had for my engagement ring stone, since it has the perfect pattern and specs that I want to find again, except in a 7mm stone.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-1-01-j-si1-old-european-cut-t184313.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-1-01-j-si1-old-european-cut-t184313.html[/URL]

Thanks for reading my illustrated novel :cheeky: ! Cheers!

_4025.jpg

_4026.jpg

owd_1.jpg

_4027.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll post more stuff that's on my Watch list and my thoughts...

First of all, a pic of my Mahenge spinels. I think they're showing some fluoro in this pic :bigsmile:

Here is a very pretty ring that's in budget, but I'm afraid the center stone is much warmer than the stated K. In some photos it looks downright light brown (which is awesome in its own right, but not for my ering). Also, I'm nervous about the bezel, who knows what chips could be hidden under there? And it would be sad to ruin the bezel, because I would re-set the stone.

Here is one that's interesting... but the faceting looks confusing. And so few pictures, none looking straight into the stone. And at auction, so not sure what the final price will be.

Another one i looked at, but was advised that the center looks dark, and more importantly, that it's been on ebay for ages (and there is probably a good reason). It also doesn't look like the stated specs of 1.56 H VS2. And the price is too good to be true.

img_5875.jpg

_4028.jpg

_4029.jpg

_4030.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gemfever, just want to say in case you haven't thought about it that if you choose the right setting it can offset the off round of the 1.45. Just in case you decide you love that OEC the fact that it is not totally round may not really matter. An 8 prong setting will help it look round.

Can Adam send you a video of the stones?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let's see, what else have I considered.... the butt of this butterfly! :lol: It's supposedly 1.8 G I1. Again, bezels make me nervous. As well as the I1, needless to say. And it may be a bit sad to take apart the butterfly... though I love that brown diamond in the center!

_4031.jpg

_4032.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1361926162|3391310 said:
Hi Gemfever, just want to say in case you haven't thought about it that if you choose the right setting it can offset the off round of the 1.45. Just in case you decide you love that OEC the fact that it is not totally round may not really matter. An 8 prong setting will help it look round.

Missy, that's a good point. But I'm pretty sure I want to set it exactly like my previous stone, which was a 6-prong yellow gold super simple setting. I really loved that look, and I don't want the upgrade to be too conspicuous.

I think I won't ask Adam for a video until I'm really sure I want to go through OWD. Don't want to waste his time while I'm still playing around on ebay, you know? And if I do decide to go through OWD, I may just make a day trip to NYC. That would be fun :razz:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1361926363|3391314 said:
missy|1361926162|3391310 said:

Missy, that's a good point. But I'm pretty sure I want to set it exactly like my previous stone, which was a 6-prong yellow gold super simple setting. I really loved that look, and I don't want the upgrade to be too conspicuous.

I think I won't ask Adam for a video until I'm really sure I want to go through OWD. Don't want to waste his time while I'm still playing around on ebay, you know? And if I do decide to go through OWD, I may just make a day trip to NYC. That would be fun :razz:

Gotcha. OK, I'll see if I can come up with anything worthy to show you. If you do come to NY maybe we can do a short GTG...dinner maybe if the schedules work...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Missy, that would be great! Maybe we could invite Circe too. I'll be coming to NYC some time for sure, whether for OWD or not.

~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ *

Update on stone search... weirdly enough, I just committed to buying something from ebay. Here is how this developed:

Saw this listing yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Womans-4kt-diamond-total-Platinum-/230932749885?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7eIMyyBdZVsU%252FarxqGUKGxzgtcQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Except yesterday it had 3 people bidding on it and it was at $6500. I contacted the seller asking about a return policy.

He responded this morning and said he would allow a few days inspection period and he hopes that I win, because he's had some issues with the highest bidder. I wrote back saying -- I'll consider bidding, but please send me extra pics.

Tonight, he responded to some more questions (regarding tint, he said the stone doesn't show much), and I half-jokingly asked if he could end the listing and sell to me for $6500. He said he's not interested in doing that. I thought to myself -- that's fine, I'll give this auction some more thought.

Then he emailed me some photos. They looked nice. I said: "Thanks for the pix! That's certainly a lovely stone. I'll see if the bidding stays within my budget closer to the end."

To which he replied something along the lines of "I took a chance and ended the listing. Do we have a deal?" ..... In essence forcing me to buy the ring. I was shocked. But I am interested in it, so I said -- fine, make an ebay listing with a return policy and I'll pay for it.

He then said something along the lines of "want to go outside of ebay? I understand you may want the protection, but I'll draw up a contract stating all the details. But I won't be offended if you'd rather go through ebay."

I told him I'd rather go through ebay. So now I'm waiting for him to make the BIN listing for me.

A little unnerving, needless to say. I'm hoping this is a case of the diamond choosing ME and jumping into my hands in this fashion, as opposed to some kind of clever scheme by this seller. Yikes. Stay tuned! (i.e. please follow along with me and hold my hand!)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aaaand the guy quit promptly responding. In the meantime, my head is spinning and I need a break from this stuff :sick: I hope he's not off drafting a nice contract so the sale can be make outside ebay :knockout:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, that all happened quickly! It looks like a pretty and large stone for a good price. It's encouraging that you liked the additional pics. I really like the look of the whole ring! You've already told him you want to go through ebay, so I wouldn't worry about that - let us know how it goes!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for checking in junebug! I still haven't heard from him, it's been over 2 hours. I guess there is a 3-hour time difference between our two locations, so it's not that late in Oregon. But still. Where did he go? Argh.

I'll post some of the extra photos.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pics... I hope this is a nice stone. Hope hope hope... I'd be so glad to be done with the search!

_4036.jpg

_4037.jpg

_4038.jpg

_4039.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm. Well, for what it's worth, I really like the cut of the stone, and I really like the setting (like, to the point that if you do reset, DIBS!). But the behavior is indeed sketchy.

I just had a good experience buying froma dude whom I'd spotted on eBay, corresponded with about said item, and snapped up off his personal website after negotiation ... but he was responding really promptly.

With this guy?

My advice would be to turn off the internet for 12 hours, minimum. Maybe 24. Either he's playing head-games, or he's laid-back. If it's the former, just skip it, and spare yourself the aggro. If it's the latter? He won't care ....

Either way, you win. A great stone, or a good night's sleep. Preferably both, but ... hey ....

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He was probably trying to save on the eBay fee. Since it's a large ticket item, the amount saved would be quite a bit. Since he did give you an option of keeping it in eBay, and stated that it wouldn't offend him, I suggest you start breathing :wavey:

It's always nerve-racking to do eBay stuff. Heck, even with retailers! I hope all goes well, and you end up with a ring of your dreams!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Circe! That was great advice. He has contacted me again and hopefully this morning we can move forward. And I will be re-setting the stone if all goes well, so I'll keep you in mind for the setting ;))

Madelise, you're right about the ebay fees. He was totally cool when I said I understand why he'd ask, but I'd rather keep it within the system. So my fingers are crossed, and I'm almost allowing myself to get excited!

I'll post the really tinted pic he had in his listing. I wonder if there is *any* chance this stone is actually a K-L. I really hope... but... well, gotta be patient.

_4046.jpg

5-2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, GemFever, I'm so excited for you! This has potential. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's the one. And if not no harm no foul. You can return it and start again if it's not right for you.

And count me in when you visit NYC...I would love it if Circe joined us!

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
Gemfever, it looks beautiful!!

what an experience :) I send you a lot of happy purchase dust ;-)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I see what looks like beige walls in the background of those photos and the lighting doesn't look the best. The diamond may be picking up color from that. My J oval sometimes photographs champagne-y even though it seldom looks that color for real.

I hope you love it when you see it!

liz

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks gals!

I've paid :bigsmile: Now I hope he is a little less laid-back about shipping it out quickly. Hopefully today. Hopefully overnight. Please Mr. Seller, pleaaaaseee!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1361981510|3391781 said:
Thanks gals!

I've paid :bigsmile: Now I hope he is a little less laid-back about shipping it out quickly. Hopefully today. Hopefully overnight. Please Mr. Seller, pleaaaaseee!

Good luck!!!! So excited for you! :appl:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1361981510|3391781 said:
Thanks gals!

Good luck Gemfever! I really hope it turns out well!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1361976535|3391726 said:
Ooh, GemFever, I'm so excited for you! This has potential. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's the one. And if not no harm no foul. You can return it and start again if it's not right for you.

And count me in when you visit NYC...I would love it if Circe joined us!

I'd be up for it!

GemFever, I wouldn't worry too much about the photos - color can be so unreliable, even in the hands of a good photographer. Since he seems a bit casual in terms of, say, the description ... I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he didn't necessarily take 1000 photos and then edit the 10 best to perfection, KWIM?

I hope it gets to you pronto. I can't wait to hear your reaction!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement. It's helping me to not burst from keeping it all pent up :D

I've got a FedEx tracking number in my hot little hands! Tomorrow by 3pm! Someone's gonna have to work from home :naughty:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is exciting! can't wait to hear what you think! fingers crossed it's a winner!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Talking about a diamond picking you rather than the other way. Love the high crown. It is a beautiful ring.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks really promising! Can't wait to hear what you think in person.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
After you catch your breath and get past, "Oh, my gosh, oh, my gosh, oh, my gosh!" there SHALL be photos! I hope it's even more beautiful than you can imagine.

liz

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for you, GemFever! Can't wait for you to receive it.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much everyone! I just went for a 3 hour walk, so I am pooped. Just like I wanted to be, so I can go to sleep sooner and it can be tomorrow :cheeky: I will most certainly post tons and tons of pics within an hour of getting the stone. You bet!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
in many of those pics the center stone looks much whiter (almost blue/white) than the melee which is very unusual...color I-M. I hope the faceting is nice once you get it. I can see why you are so excited....it looks lovely especially for the price. Can't wait to see how much you like it when you get it in your hot little hands. The setting is lovely too.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1362009760|3392181 said:
Thanks so much everyone! I just went for a 3 hour walk, so I am pooped. Just like I wanted to be, so I can go to sleep sooner and it can be tomorrow :cheeky: I will most certainly post tons and tons of pics within an hour of getting the stone. You bet!

I'm sorry this is my first post in your thread, but I totally read this as "I just went for a 3 hour walk, so I pooped" :bigsmile: I am so excited for you to get this new OEC!!! I hope it works out for you!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results