carat
color
clarity

Help looking for a 7mm OEC

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys!

Bastetcat -- it was a pretty quick way for the setting to go, but my friend loved it, so it was fate!

Begonia -- thanks! With some shipping dust, handshots will be coming tomorrow! ::)

Pandabee -- pics, please! You purchased a setting, or a whole ring, or a stone?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I love EVERYTHING about your new ring! So lovely!

Awesome for your friend too!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1363380414|3405794 said:
Thanks guys!

Bastetcat -- it was a pretty quick way for the setting to go, but my friend loved it, so it was fate!

Begonia -- thanks! With some shipping dust, handshots will be coming tomorrow! ::)

Pandabee -- pics, please! You purchased a setting, or a whole ring, or a stone?

A ring, but I'll just be using the stone ;))

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Valmanin -- thank you! I hope you find your perfect stone soon!

Pandabee -- ooh, that's exciting. I'm looking forward to pics!

Well guys, my ring is here!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

She's a beauty. The color so far I have no problem with. In some light the stone is a kind of ivory gold, in other lights it's white. So far, I haven't seen a distinctly yellow hue. Maybe this stone's warmth tends on the brownish side? I would really like that, as I'd prefer a brown tint over yellow.

The obstruction... I haven't made up my mind about it yet. The stone is gorgeous most of the time, but there is a little nagging worry -- a mind-clean issue, if you will -- that's still there for now. I'm guessing that as I get to know this stone better, I'll completely fall in love and overlook any minor issues.

A little bit of stats -- before it was set, I had the girdle and table polished to remove tiny nicks. That took off 3 points, so the stone ended up at a nice 1.75cts. I haven't re-measured it yet to see what the final dimensions are. I like having a nice clean girdle though, it was worth the small weight loss. The guys in the NYC diamond district estimated the stone to be K-L color, VS1-2 clarity.

Well, now on to pics!!! 8) First batch -- outside, the day is a mix of brief sunshine and lots of cloudiness.

_4486.jpg

_4487.jpg

_4488.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Next up, a few indoor shots. Including an obstructiony shot, and a color shot.

_4489.jpg

_4490.jpg

_4491.jpg

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Looks beautiful and so BIG on your hand! :love: the yellow gold combo!!! Congrats!!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And last but perhaps most exciting -- outdoor shots under a tree. This stone has the same color-play effect as my original L-color AVC did. It just goes crazy under green foliage. The J-color OEC didn't have this effect so much. I'm beginning to think it's a lower-color thing...

_4492.jpg

_4493.jpg

_4494.jpg

_4495.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Valmanin! :))

It does feel and look big to me. When I first put it on, I thought "man, this is HUGE! How am I going to wear it!" But now, three hours later... I'm getting used to it :cheeky:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous! Who made the setting for you? I like it a lot.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks FK! The setting was made by my Etsy friend, Yvonne from Cecile Raley Designs. She did it as a favor to me though, it's not something she regularly carries in her shop.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe this is a bit much, but I love these shots ::)

under_the_tree.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:

It's gorgeous gemfever!! Just perfect! The setting your friend made is beautiful and wow!- look at the facets and colour play it gives off! I'm in love w your amazing diamond!! Awesome! Enjoy :bigsmile:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever, it's such a beauty! I love the setting, and the diamond is gorgeous!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Enerchi and Kim!

I decided that since I like those color play shots so much, I'll go out and make some more :cheeky:

These are completely unedited, save for cropping and compressing.

img_6618.jpg

img_6666.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh Gem!!!! I l :love: ve her!!!! She's a beauty! Love the colors shooting from her and I really love the setting! Your friend did a wonderful job! I am so happy you have such a gorgeous ring!!! Please continue posting lots and lots of pics! :appl:
And wear your gorgeous new OEC ring in health and happiness!!! :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1363465471|3406511 said:
Oooh Gem!!!! I l :love: ve her!!!! She's a beauty! Love the colors shooting from her and I really love the setting! Your friend did a wonderful job! I am so happy you have such a gorgeous ring!!! Please continue posting lots and lots of pics! :appl:
And wear your gorgeous new OEC ring in health and happiness!!! :appl:

Thanks so much missy ::) I'll be sure to post more pics as soon as I can get some interesting ones, showing some new aspect of the stone -- maybe fire, or color, or faceting.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!!!! Beautiful! It looks fabulous on you! LOVE al those color shots you did! Was that all with your phone?

How are you feeling about the face up color now in person?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bastetcat|1363469483|3406566 said:
OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!!!! Beautiful! It looks fabulous on you! LOVE al those color shots you did! Was that all with your phone?

How are you feeling about the face up color now in person?

Hi Bastetcat! Thanks for the nice words ::)

Yup, those shots were done with my iphone. I take pics with it all the time, so I have a decent feel for what that little camera can capture. Love my iphone camera.

The color of the stone... I really like it. It's lovely and not too yellow at all. As I mentioned earlier, I think it leans more towards light brown tint rather than yellow, and I really like that. However, I have to admit I kind of *wish* I had a higher color OEC and with fluorescence, like I wanted originally. Like an I with fluoro... that would be my "holy grail." In about the same size as this stone, or even a little smaller (like 1.5ct) would be fine. Well, that's something for the future. For now, I will enjoy this beauty 8)

img_6705.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemfever I am in love with your new ring. The stone is amazing. I can't believe how fast you found her. Congrats on finding such a fabulicious stone. (just made that word up--- your stone inspired me). =) =) =)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh GemFever it's beautiful!! :love: I think it faces up quite white. I really really love the setting...you're so lucky to have a friend who makes jewelry just for you! It looks huge on your hand! I'm really curious as to what mm the diamond is. Anyway, it's just amazing! Congrats!

And the old setting has been transformed by the colored stone! Absolutely stunning!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
omg Gem it's gorgeous!!!!! I love it in its setting, and that color play...wow!! I can never get it to come through in photos, but if I do I see it way more in real life so I can only imagine the crazy rainbows it throws off to all the people around you. I am also thinking that this K-L range is absolutely perfect :love: The size looks so perfect on you. Do you think this'll cure your DSS for a while? :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
that setting is just so perfect! I had to come and have a look one more time before going to bed - the 6 prongs are such a perfect choice for that diamond --- awesome choice!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
It's to die for. There are no other words! :love:

So happy for you that you found it so quickly. You are a great ebayer! :naughty:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys!

derbygal -- thanks! It actually took me a few weeks of searching, I just didn't post a "Help Me Find" thread for a while. It was a coincidence that I got my stone the night I posted the thread ::)

junebug -- Thank you! As for dimensions, I tried to measure it... it comes to somewhere between 7.45 and 7.6. I don't have the best calipers for this, they are kind of industrial, weird calipers. So I'm rounding it to a 7.5mm :rodent:

pandabee -- thanks! heh, DSS... you know, I'm already so used to this size, it's as if nothing changed :cheeky:

Enerchi -- thanks for checking back in! That is a high compliment in my view :praise:

Linny -- thank you :)) I'm lucky to have found it!

~~~

After wearing the ring for a little while, I have to admit that my search for the perfect upgrade is not over. I love this stone and I'm very glad it's on my finger right now. Walking around with no stone was no fun. *But,* I still want that higher-colored stone one day, and I want some fluorescence. And less obstruction. A word about the obstruction -- this stone has some, as earlier pics showed. It's nothing terrible, and most of the time the stone is bright and fiery. But, being a PSer, the amount of time I spend staring at the stone while it is *directly in front of my face* is ... a lot. So in my next OEC, I'd like to minimize obstruction a bit, if possible. For now, I'm glad to have this beauty on my finger while I keep searching for that needle in a haystack.

Incidentally, if someone finds an I-J fluorescent OEC in the 7-7.5mm range and doesn't have an immediate use for it, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could drop me a line! 8-)

img_6725.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Today I finally got out of the house and saw the diamond in various light conditions. All I can say is FIRE, BABY! Lots of fire. It was doing something cool on the metro, did pretty well at work (depending on where my hand was located in relation to the desk lamp), but went totally crazy firecrackers when we went out to dinner. Almost enough to make me forget my bowl of Pho... ;))

I wish I could capture the fire. I'll certainly keep trying! :bigsmile:

img_6854-2.jpg

img_6900-2.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done!!!! Beautiful stone and it looks totally amazing in that setting!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your diamond is really nicely cut for a classic OEC. The type of obstruction it shows is pretty par for the course in my experience, and accompanies the large flower patter. My own hatred for obstruction is what drew me to a later old cut with longer lower halves, and I think Demelza felt the same. But there are earlier looking stones without any obstruction too -- Charmy and mara's stones come to mind. But those are distinctly different makes than the classic you have or the later early ideals that Dem and I have.

Obstruction is, unfortunately, more obvious the larger the diamond :blackeye: Thus harder to avoid.

One trick: Only look at your diamond at a tilt angle :lol:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1363744585|3409180 said:
I think your diamond is really nicely cut for a classic OEC. The type of obstruction it shows is pretty par for the course in my experience, and accompanies the large flower patter. My own hatred for obstruction is what drew me to a later old cut with longer lower halves, and I think Demelza felt the same. But there are earlier looking stones without any obstruction too -- Charmy and mara's stones come to mind. But those are distinctly different makes than the classic you have or the later early ideals that Dem and I have.

Obstruction is, unfortunately, more obvious the larger the diamond :blackeye: Thus harder to avoid.

One trick: Only look at your diamond at a tilt angle :lol:

Dreamer, did the 1.36 I stone you sold have obstruction? From what I remember, my 1.01J was very good about obstruction. It never bothered me in that stone (maybe it was partially the smaller size, as you mentioned). So I'm not giving up hope for a classic OEC that will stand up to scrutiny 10" from my nose :rodent: Mara's and Charmy's stones give me hope. Probaby ForteKitty's also? I need to go back and look at her big thread to see what she says about it.

So... Dreamer, if you see something [on eBay]... say something! [via PM] :naughty: I'd really appreciate it, I'm still actively searching (but sticking to I-J range this time).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry the obstruction bothers you. :( That just means that we get to hunt for more, right? :bigsmile:

GemFever said:
Mara's and Charmy's stones give me hope. Probaby ForteKitty's also? I need to go back and look at her big thread to see what she says about it.

Mine doesn't show any obstruction at all. I posted my Sarin numbers in my thread. I think its lower halves are just average, and it doesn't exhibit the flower pattern. From what I've seen, really high crowns tend to lead to obstruction if the table isn't small enough.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1363662264|3408319 said:
Today I finally got out of the house and saw the diamond in various light conditions. All I can say is FIRE, BABY! Lots of fire. It was doing something cool on the metro, did pretty well at work (depending on where my hand was located in relation to the desk lamp), but went totally crazy firecrackers when we went out to dinner. Almost enough to make me forget my bowl of Pho... ;))

I wish I could capture the fire. I'll certainly keep trying! :bigsmile:

Yum! Love the new pics!

For fire pics, I put the stone in the middle of the focus area and focus it, then tilt the stone around til it catches. I also don't stop. I just take 5 or 6 shots in a row. Usually at least one will work out. Wait a minute...here we go!
manybounce.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results