carat
color
clarity

Help looking for a 7mm OEC

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Missy and Bastetcat!

Now of course I can't wait to have it on my finger :bigsmile: A whole new period of waiting begins! First, waiting for it to arrive safely to my friend's place (btw, insuring for $5K [max] via regular USPS postage was $60!!! Ridiculous!), then waiting for her to get around to setting it, then shipping back... Fun times :devil:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this diamond. It does have a very pronounced flower under the table which can lead to too much darkness, but the video and the photos show that the pavilion mains operate fairly independently and so it stays nice and bright there most of the time. It does go dark sometimes but honestly, I think that is just the downside of this style of cut. You only get such a distinct and clear flower when the table is of a certain size and the lower halves are super short so the pavilion mains are large under the table. And that can be a recipe for darkness. But I think this stone is a fine example of its type. Nice and active looking.

Please have the color and measurments confirmed before you unset it. The stone might be deceptively tinted and I think that if its too low or has a strong brown tint then the amount you paid might be too high for ebay. Just check it out and get an opinion.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer, thanks for posting, I appreciate your opinion. I've already sent the ring off to have the stone unset. While it is in New York for this procedure, I'll see if I can get some opinions on color. I was going to be good and have it certed while it's loose, but I'm not patient enough. I might get it certed down the road.

I think the price I paid wasn't a "steal" exactly, but certainly I couldn't afford a stone this size if I went through PS favorite vendors, as much as I'd love to give them my business. Plus, if I can sell the setting for a decent price, that will be a little bonus :rodent: I'm still not sure if I'll be selling it because I really like it for a colored stone project, but I'll probably let it go.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I can't wait to see it!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you are keeping it gem! and that you found your upgrade so quickly ::) Not all of us are able to find steals, but as long as you paid a price that you think is fair and you are happy with it, that's all that matters! And of course, great bonus that you can get it set for relatively cheap :)) can't wait to see the finished ring!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a really pretty stone!! It looks so sparkly and bright in the video. So glad you're happy with it, and I think you did well in terms of price. Looking forward to seeing it in it's new home! :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer -- me too :bigsmile: I'll post pics here as soon as I have it. I'm guessing it will be around 2 weeks.

Pandabee -- thanks ::) btw, I kept thinking of something clever to respond to your last post, but couldn't think of anything really fun, and then I got distracted when the ring arrived. But I wanted to say -- I laughed out loud for a full minute straight. It was perfect timing for a good laugh to relieve some of my diamond anxiety!

Thanks Junebug! :D

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
missy|1362147679|3393528 said:
YAY!!!!! :appl: Hoping it brings you much joy Gem!! Wear in health and happiness always!! Cannot wait to see how it looks in its new home! :love:
Thanks for the link! :)

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, quoted the wrong poster. I just can't write on my mobile. But thanks Gemfever. Interesting read!

beckweed

Rough_Rock
Congrats! You have great taste. I think you scored a very pretty OEC. I really like the original setting, which I hope you keep it b/c I think it will look lovely set with a gem stone...rhr perhaps???

Looking forward to seeing your new wedding set once the OEC has been reset.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
IT'S BEAUTIFUL! :appl:

I really think once you get it out of that setting and into something a bit simpler, it'll really shine. The colour looks quite white in some pics, so I'm hoping for you it's AWAP (as white as possible ;)) ). I see the darkness there... under the table. But honestly, how often are we (or onlookers) looking at our ring straight on! Almost never!

It's also freaking HUGE! I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to see pics of it loose or in a new setting.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks beckweed!

Thanks Linny :) I'll post pics as soon as I have it back, which will probably be towards the end of next week.

In the meantime, the ring was temporarily lost in the mail, but hopefully now is ok. That is -- tracking said it was out for delivery, but it never arrived. After some phone calls, the package seems to be back in the tracking system. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it gets delivered safely tomorrow!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Dust!!!! I will check back tomorrow hoping that you get your pretty and take lots of pictures for us :naughty:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
pandabee|1362538260|3397543 said:
Dust!!!! I will check back tomorrow hoping that you get your pretty and take lots of pictures for us :naughty:

Thanks pandabee! Tomorrow it will (hopefully) arrive in New York, where it will be re-set. Lots of pictures from me will follow in about a week and a half. I can't wait for handshots! hehehe :bigsmile:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1362538381|3397547 said:

Thanks pandabee! Tomorrow it will (hopefully) arrive in New York, where it will be re-set. Lots of pictures from me will follow in about a week and a half. I can't wait for handshots! hehehe :bigsmile:

Fingers are still crossed for you! Did your regular post person get it sorted out?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bastetcat|1362606086|3398310 said:
GemFever|1362538381|3397547 said:

Fingers are still crossed for you! Did your regular post person get it sorted out?

Thanks for checking in Bastetcat! Yes, thank god, it has arrived :bigsmile:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ahh, I misread earlier. Well I hope this next week goes by quickly for you!!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Any updates yet Gemfever? :wavey: I'm trying to be patient! :lol:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for checking in Bastetcat! Can you imagine how patient I am trying to be! I may or may not... *ahem*... flip through my iphone pics of the diamond... *ahem*... before I go to sleep every night :cheeky:

The stone is undergoing a bit of rehab in NYC right now, a little table and girdle polish (tiny nicks on both (well, just one nick on the table)). It was weighed, turns out it was 1.78 (not 1.85 as the appraisal estimated). It will probably lose around 5 points during polishing, so it'll be just around 1.7cts. The guys in the NYC diamond district estimated it to be K-L color, so that's good (not lower than original appraisal).

I should have it... maybe Saturday? If all goes well! Fingers crossed.

How is your OEC, did you set it in a new setting yet?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1363024757|3402076 said:
Thanks for checking in Bastetcat! Can you imagine how patient I am trying to be! I may or may not... *ahem*... flip through my iphone pics of the diamond... *ahem*... before I go to sleep every night :cheeky:

The stone is undergoing a bit of rehab in NYC right now, a little table and girdle polish (tiny nicks on both (well, just one nick on the table)). It was weighed, turns out it was 1.78 (not 1.85 as the appraisal estimated). It will probably lose around 5 points during polishing, so it'll be just around 1.7cts. The guys in the NYC diamond district estimated it to be K-L color, so that's good (not lower than original appraisal).

I should have it... maybe Saturday? If all goes well! Fingers crossed.

How is your OEC, did you set it in a new setting yet?

Now who would flip through their pictures every night before bed??? I can't imagine wanting to do that at all! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am doing the same thing. I watch a video of the freed stone every day. It should be ready in a few more days and I will start editing photos. I couldn't believe how much it changed once he popped it out of the old setting. It can be a posting OEC frenzy here in old cut land! It's not going a fabulous confection of a setting like some of the ones I am so jealous of :halo: here, just a simple box head vintage 40's setting that I picked up (it's all I've been able to find that wasn't too big or too small!) but I think it's going to work....then there's the question of bands to match it... :D

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No ring yet, but two pics! Super quickie ones for now, but I may get some more later today or tomorrow morning.

My first reaction -- that is not quite what I expected the setting to look like. This one is more swoopy. But I think I will get used to it ;)) Also, I am getting claw prongs! I was a bit torn about claw vs. rounded like I had before... I feel sometimes claws are a little... well... too vicious looking (they are CLAWS, after all). But again, i think I will like them when I see them.

And the color is showing loooots in pic 2. That is something I am not sure I will get used to. Will have to see.

On Saturday it should be heeeere! Keeping fingers crossed for smooth and safe shipping!

set_pic_1.jpg

set_pic_2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gem, how exciting...you will have your new ring soon!!!
IRL the claw prongs are so tiny you cannot even really see them-they are so tiny and delicate. I hope you will love your new ring! Don't worry about the color in that pic-see how it looks in real life. If the color bothers you there are different setting options you can explore that would cover the sides more. But anyway, fingers crossed you love it all!!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh! I LOVE that setting GemFever! Beautiful. Is that a yellow gold setting?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks missy and valmanin! Yup, it's 14K yellow gold.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really, really like the swoopiness in combination with the high crown - it looks very period-appropriate.

And I don't think the color is anything to worry about, not if it's assessed as a K-L: my anniversary ring was assessed as a J-K, and while it might photograph tinted once in a while, to the eye it looks white to ivory.

And I love that pillowy crown. Delicious! I think you chose well, and I can't wait to see mucho pics.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! It is very period appropriate, I think too. Gives the setting a nice Edwardian feel like it should. :) Can't wait to see your own shots of it! It's going to look fab on your finger!! Got a YG stack ready???? :naughty:

Some diamonds get a lot whiter looking in YG, and some also look more tinted. My little OEC earrings look super white in YG (and they are I/J), but another ring I have with a YG cocktail ring and a diamond the diamond takes on a lot of the YG tint. Same idea with my little OEC. I think my OEC was not reacting well to the platinum surround and once it was popped out of the setting it brightened up and I'm hoping the 2 tone setting it's going in will be what it needs. It certainly looked better in the few pics I got of it before I took it to be set. Hopefully they'll call tomorrow....

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Circe and Bastet! I didn't make the connection myself, but you're right, there is something period-like about those swooping arches ::) And it's set fairly low, which I like.

Bastetcat, how exciting about your new setting! I hope you do get the call that it's ready! If not, maybe just stop by and check in (if it's a local place) 8)

In terms of color, I'll just have to see. My previous OEC, which was a J, looked super white against yellow gold. So lovely.

I got a couple more pics :rodent:

Also, my friend fell in love with the setting, so I sold it to her. She put a tanzanite in it. I think it looks stunning.

1__2__-_copy.jpg

2__2__-_copy.jpg

setting_and_tanzanite_-_copy.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
DANG!!! That was fast but her tanzanite looks fab in it! And look at all those pretty claws! :love:

Yours kind of look like those old style floating type claws that curve over the stone. A lot of older setting are set that way.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh. My.

That is just fabulous.

Hand shots, and lot of them, when you can...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
:love: omg!!!!! That is one beautiful OEC!!! So beautiful, and that setting is just perfect. Looks very much like something I just purchased (thanks in part to you actually! I have yet to post pictures...)

That tanzanite is so lovely! What a gorgeous setting for it, I love the e-w (at least it looks that way to me in the photo angle) and the color is just yummy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results