shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding LGD like a spring cut

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I am looking to make a fancy RHR. This is one of the few occasions when I want a bigger diamond. Here is the inspo:

5B40756A-5CCF-4671-962F-AFD471894B31.jpeg

I found some diamonds called spring cut and they would be great. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...es-post-them-here.258921/page-12#post-5223945.

B600210E-4B26-4FA8-BCC4-B11E84044D35.png

Problem is, I can only find them in sizes up to a carat, except for the above, which is not very big. My understanding is that they are a proprietary cut that is not actively in production anymore. If someone can find a EGD in 2.0+ ct I would consider saving up for a few years. But that would take years and knock out the budget for other projects. So a LGD is more realistic.

Search for LGD in this special cut has been negative so far. Choices:
1. Wait a few years. Based on changes in the LGD market the odds of being able to custom order a weird cut within budget are very good in the near future, even if no one starts producing them routinely.

2. Find one already in existence. Problem: slim odds.

3. Use a substitute cut. Example:

762A1DA2-8C4B-4EFE-B73E-C77B53F14E1A.png

Problem: what I really like about the inspo ring is sharp square corners.

4. Find a radiant that looks like the one in the inspo pic. Problem: every radiant I’ve ever seen looks mushy in the middle.

5. Buy an available EGD, check to see whether I like the cut in person, and see if one carat would be big enough. Problem: am guessing not.

Questions:
Is it possible to set the “substitute” cut in the rectangular setting and get the inspo ring look? Would that be settling?

I am leaning toward #1 (waiting) and #5 (return policy). But would love to hear thoughts, especially whether you think #3 would be settling..

Budget (stone)
-LGD spring cut (if you can find one) = I’ll pay $3k
-LGD in standard radiant cut that looks like inspo = Given the market and that there are lots of radiants out there, I won’t pay more than $2k
-LGD in “substitute” cut = I’m finding so many under $2k
-EGD in spring cut = $25k but don’t bother because it would be years and probably gone by the time I have the $$$

Specs:
-Color: ok to go way low
-Nuance: brown/yellow fine; blue/grey not for this project
-Clarity: I hate SI1 but will sacrifice for budget if the inclusions are not black or under the table
-Fluorescence: don’t give a hoot
-Size: I dunno… I never buy big diamonds because I don’t wear them often enough to justify :)

This project is not urgent but for those of you who like hunting, here is a challenge!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
OOOf, well I struck out at Ritani. Just clicked for a long, long time - No prototypes.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you could reach out to Ritani to special order.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Or what about Yuketiel at IDJ. Using a "concierge service" to find what you are looking for, and he has all the ASET, IS imaging equipment. If you're near NYC, he is located there.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am also a fan of these types of cuts, (I own a tycoon and princecut myself) and I totally see your dilemma. One thing I would say is that the sharp square corners you like can often not look very sharp or square once they are in prongs, and with a bezel if its artfully done you can create a squared off or cut corner look on a round stone, or a stone with rounded corners. So your option 3 may actually be a very smart choice, especially if you have the chance to inspect the loose stone and see if it speaks to you before comitting to a setting.

Additionally i think that the substitute cuts like your no 3 option are likely to face up larger than many of the spring cuts which are cut very deep. The substitute cuts may actually perform better as well, since they are cut from lab grown material and there is not the same onus on preserving weight as there is in EG diamonds, so the cutters can achieve more pleasing light return and patterning without losing out on $$$.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I am also a fan of these types of cuts, (I own a tycoon and princecut myself) and I totally see your dilemma. One thing I would say is that the sharp square corners you like can often not look very sharp or square once they are in prongs, and with a bezel if its artfully done you can create a squared off or cut corner look on a round stone, or a stone with rounded corners. So your option 3 may actually be a very smart choice, especially if you have the chance to inspect the loose stone and see if it speaks to you before comitting to a setting.

Additionally i think that the substitute cuts like your no 3 option are likely to face up larger than many of the spring cuts which are cut very deep. The substitute cuts may actually perform better as well, since they are cut from lab grown material and there is not the same onus on preserving weight as there is in EG diamonds, so the cutters can achieve more pleasing light return and patterning without losing out on $$$.

Thanks, I am really liking the look and value of the substitute cut. And agree on the cut corners… you can’t really see them under the prongs of my asscher. So I might end up with the substitute cut and then choosing a good setting designer.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

What great advice!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks — I think the second one is the “substitute” cut hove. I might be leaning in that direction.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks — I think the second one is the “substitute” cut hove. I might be leaning in that direction.

Alex Parks is always releasing new stones. I got lab earrings from him for Christmas and I love them, and now I still have notifications on because of the right stone came along for a pendant or if he did a station necklace I would go for it. I know he does do custom cuts but I don’t think he does them for new customers?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I follow their Instagram and see lots of cool stuff pop up. It always sells too quickly for me to research so I never bother. Too bad they don’t do custom cuts for new customers. With lab prices getting cheaper, somebody will probably be willing to do it soon. I am leaning toward #5 — buying the EGD version — seeing if I like the cut, then commissioning one in LGD.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Just read a cool thread on Hangout on the topic of copying settings. Does anyone have thoughts about the legal issues of copying diamond cuts, what the industry standard is, and moral issues to consider, in this case where it seems like the cut is discontinued - I wouldn’t feel right asking for a copy of a cut that is still in production and there’s some kind of patent. But what if there is no patent, or the patent has expired? Do I contact the vendor and ask? (Please try to contain the enthusiasm of the replies. The Hangout thread was sweet but I’m hoping for legit advice in a slightly different literary style.)

Setting discussion thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ng-copying-other-vendors-custom-works.278122/

Spring Cut search on PS:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/spring-cut-down-under.3425/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-spring-cut.3601/

Reason for thinking cut may not be in production:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
How about an elongated French cut? Does anyone even have these in large sizes?

EC741F5C-0D07-4CDC-926E-0E8536614D84.jpeg

Maybe if it is custom cut you could hack off the corners?

That option would be $$$ but I could save up…

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Another one to reach out to would be Brian Gavin. I bet they would cut a lab or natural.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
@springsparkle thanks for sharing your photos. I love those cuts. I am looking for something more angular which is why I haven’t moved forward on the “substitute” cut I posted above, even though both that cut and your cushion are dreamy.

@MMtwo it is looking more and more likely that I have to get my hands on one of these spring cuts and then decide. But I just thought up the giant French cut idea recently and have to mull that one over.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
@springsparkle thanks for sharing your photos. I love those cuts. I am looking for something more angular which is why I haven’t moved forward on the “substitute” cut I posted above, even though both that cut and your cushion are dreamy.

@MMtwo it is looking more and more likely that I have to get my hands on one of these spring cuts and then decide. But I just thought up the giant French cut idea recently and have to mull that one over.

Maybe you can reach out to Jon at Distinctive Gem about a custom cut LGD!

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
Do you happen to have a link to the setting in the very first picture you shared in this thread? Would greatly appreciate it!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, nope, I screenshot it.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Caysie from CVB also has a lapidary that can custom cut lab grown diamonds. She may be worth reaching out to as well (no idea where her prices fall compared to DG though). Always worth an ask!

I would not feel bad about asking for faceting for a diamond cut that is no longer in production. No one is actively trying to make money/a living off producing those cuts anymore, and you do not even have the option to give them money.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Caysie from CVB also has a lapidary that can custom cut lab grown diamonds. She may be worth reaching out to as well (no idea where her prices fall compared to DG though). Always worth an ask!

I would not feel bad about asking for faceting for a diamond cut that is no longer in production. No one is actively trying to make money/a living off producing those cuts anymore, and you do not even have the option to give them money.

Thanks, those are both good points. Cassie’s style would mesh well with this project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results