shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding an Emerald Diamond

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m on the search for an emerald diamond. I have done a lot of research but I am still learning about step cuts. I had a smaller emerald at around .90 awhile ago. I’m looking to get in the 1.20-1.5ct range. I think I would be ok with anywhere between F-I and eye clean which I know is probably in the VS1 or higher range. Here are a couple that I found:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.29-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-6927356

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3032430

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4581023

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.30-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6741368

My budget is 8000 and under. Any help would be appreciated.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I always break the bank:

1.2 D WWW

1.5 G WWW

They are nearly as long & the G is wider - less difference in size than I would have expected.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always break the bank:

1.2 D WWW

1.5 G WWW

They are nearly as long & the G is wider - less difference in size than I would have expected.
Nice!

Brian Gavin doesn't have much stock in his Signature ECs at the moment, but this could be worth considering or one could ask if he's got anything coming down the pipeline:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.225-h-si1-emerald-diamond-ags-104097519002

I would also ask Yoram if he could cut something to order... :)
https://gemconcepts.net/old-emerald-cut-diamond/

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the step cut world! :bigsmile:

You said you had a 0.90ct EC.
What are the dimensions, and color of that stone?
Did it have characteristics that appealed to you, or are you looking to get something new to fill a void the 0.90ct leaves for you?

Step cuts have multiple different characteristics. Variable facet numbers, patterns, and sizes.
Do you have a preference? Step cuts are all about preferences.

Do you have a sweet spot pertaining to l x w ratio? Some prefer sq EC’s, with l x w ratios of 1.20-1.40:1. Others prefer more elongated EC’s with l x w ratios between 1.40-1.55:1.

Do you prefer a smaller table with more crown facets, or would you prefer a larger table, with fewer, or smaller crown facets? Pavilion facet numbers vary as well.

Let’s not forget SPREAD v CARAT WEIGHT. Let’s remember that dimensions are important to determine the size of a step cut, since face-up ratio compared to MRB’s is a challenge. You must search for the best spread for the carat weight, in conjunction with depth, possible.

It’s really important to observe many different styles to know what really makes your heart sing.

Let’s discuss color. A 0.90ct EC is not going to show color as much as a larger, 1.20ct-1.50ct EC. Step cuts show more body color than brilliant cut stones; more-so than fancy cut brilliants. If you are color sensitive, I’d recommend staying between E-G.

Clarity is tricky with step cuts. There are some beautifully eye clean SI’s out there. You just have to look...HARD.
I know. I own one. ;)2

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

Do you have a style of setting in mind for this new stone, or are you setting it in an existing setting? What color metal do you plan to set it in?

All of these factors are important, when considering a step cut diamond.

When observing step cuts for purchase, up close & in person, or online, you must have more than just a certificate. Step cuts cannot be chosen based upon numbers, alone. That is merely the starting point.
Next, you need visual aids: videos, and ASET images. Video of the EC positioned N-S, rather than E-W, resting on it’s P3 facet, will be beneficial to viewing the stone’s maximum performance. Viewing the stone in multiple lighting environments, either in video or in person, is also vital. Having multiple stones for comparison is helpful to allow you to view different characteristics to help you eliminate those that do not please your eye. You will need to use your eyes to do the talking, here; there is no better evaluation tool. 20 people can view the same stone, and will give 20 different opinions. The only one that matters, in the end, is yours.

If you are fortunate enough to view your options in person, that is highly recommended, but not essential.

Any options you have should be scrutinized, based upon YOUR preferences.
Posting any options here for evaluation by those of us who LIVE for step cuts is encouraged, BUT, I strongly urge you to place any potential prospects on HOLD before posting. Lurkers will swoop up any available options you post, and you don’t want to miss out on a great stone.

I look forward to seeing what you choose. You don’t necessarily have to answer all of the questions I’ve posed, above, but it will help us greatly, in our efforts to assist you in finding the EC of your dreams.

Here is some extremely helpful info, offered by our very own @Karl_K :

https://www.pricescope.com/articles/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

Best of luck in your search!! I’m happy to help you on your journey!!! :mrgreen2:

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There wasn’t anything wrong with the .90. It had smaller steps and was a G, I will stick with an E-G and I do want eye clean, which I know can get tricky with step cuts, even at VS2.

I don’t have a preference for the steps. Visually, both the chunky and smaller steps are both appealing. Both the chunky and slimmer length to width look amazing too. I have seen a few Emeralds in person. One was more chunky and one was probably a 1.5 l x w ratio.

Depending on how much I spend for the stone, I plan to do a small halo with a plain shank. I will either go through DK or VC.

I’m looking at James Allen and Blue Nile right now which I know doesn’t help with the diamonds sitting E/W.

I did read all about the p-3 facet. I’m hoping I can find one online that performs beautifully. If I can’t, I will look at some other options.

Thank you @Matthews1127 I think I answered most of the questions.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an ASET for an emerald. I’m not liking the black areas but thought I would post to see what others think:

3F241009-7B3A-4AD6-A076-50F00CE5A496.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an ASET for an emerald. I’m not liking the black areas but thought I would post to see what others think:

3F241009-7B3A-4AD6-A076-50F00CE5A496.jpeg

I’m not a fan. Way too much blue & dark areas across the center/belly.
Very disappointing.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m not a fan. Way too much blue & dark areas across the center/belly.
Very disappointing.

I have to agree. I contacted IDJ and this is what they came up with for me. Maybe I will go back and search through JA and BN. Brian Gavin doesn’t have much and the one posted above is very chubby. I’m liking the longer emeralds better.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree. I contacted IDJ and this is what they came up with for me. Maybe I will go back and search through JA and BN. Brian Gavin doesn’t have much and the one posted above is very chubby. I’m liking the longer emeralds better.

L x W ratio should be between 1.40-1.50:1, then.
It’s pretty, but I’ve seen much better ASET’s.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

There are more reasonable ones on the list, but...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
& that is not the object I had intended to mention, this is - WWW - just 1.2 but not small & higher grades than I expected.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you let IDJ know you are a Pricescoper?

They know how demanding we are ;-) :lol:

(Although I am surprised about the ASET on that stone - black and blue and little else across the belly indicates a lot of obstruction on all the facets at the same time, which would seem to suggest it is 'all-on or all-off', which AIUI can make a stone bright/dark/nothing in between (IMVHO).)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
1.46 E/SI1 WWW

!

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.46 E/SI1 WWW
Nice!

I can't believe that's an SI - I've seen more obvious VS2 (and even VS1) inclusions.

I'm also loving the high crown, antique-y look :))

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
& that is not the object I had intended to mention, this is - WWW - just 1.2 but not small & higher grades than I expected.

This is a lot closer to the l x w ratio OP seems to like best.
This is very nice!! I hope BN can provide an ASET!!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are so few old style step cuts around, I had to mention the orher even if the L/W is something else.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so few old style step cuts around, I had to mention the orher even if the L/W is something else.
I love it!!! It’s very beautiful. OP just expressed interest in more elongated shape, which is why I commented, above.
The table size on the more antique cut style is awesome!!
That’s quite a find, @AV_ !!!

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
66F9B5B4-7C74-4654-AC5B-CE273DAF0ECB.jpeg
Here are two more diamond ASETs. I numbered them. I did tell IDJ that I am a PSer. I have a 5 stone diamond band from them. These are both from IDJ too. What do you think?

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I called to purchase and it was already sold. I like the L x W on this beauty.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
66F9B5B4-7C74-4654-AC5B-CE273DAF0ECB.jpeg
Here are two more diamond ASETs. I numbered them. I did tell IDJ that I am a PSer. I have a 5 stone diamond band from them. These are both from IDJ too. What do you think?
I like #1 - I think there are two many adjacent facets 'off' (in blue, from obstruction) in #2, whereas #1 has a good mix of red and green, with some interspersed black (directly head-on obstruction) to give it some contrast.

It's all about how the facets interact when the stone is moving, though, so videos are also important.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally speaking I still like it - I think it is visually interesting in the video and doesn't seem to have that dark band across the middle that they can sometimes have, although as @Karl K says, when it comes to performance, the five key things are lighting, lighting, lighting, lighting, cut... (or a list that is very similar) :lol: lol

Do you have it on hold right now? I would wait for some other comments from the wise people / stepcut addicts :lol: on here, such as @Matthews1127! :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny, here is a short video they sent me of diamond number one:

This stone still performs well in motion, in spite of the unfavorable, static ASET image.

Do you have specs & video for #1? Visually, it draws my eye, I love the more clipped corners, and the facet pattern is interesting to me. Not to mention, the ASET is more appealing; from the image, #1 should be a lively & bright stone across the center with a little contrast for personality.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone still performs well in motion, in spite of the unfavorable, static ASET image.

Do you have specs & video for #1? Visually, it draws my eye, I love the more clipped corners, and the facet pattern is interesting to me. Not to mention, the ASET is more appealing; from the image, #1 should be a lively & bright stone across the center with a little contrast for personality.
Um... I think that is the video for #1? :???: :tongue: :lol:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Bfelix I prefer this type with corner facets not reaching the keel, and in the 1.52 G/VS everythign else works too. I am not seeing anything nicer with L/W over 1.4 up to 15K & over 1.2cts anywhere around. Fingers crossed!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like that 1.52 myself.

It looks like it has more steps than the first stone from IDJ when I look at the video of stone 1. I wish you could see an actual video of the 1.52 to compare it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results