shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a 1.5 ct round brilliant to upgrade my solitaire

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! On dejawiz’s advice I am here to see if my self imposed budget for an upgraded ring will take me further than the natural diamond realm. I currently have an amora gem 1 ct but I really want a fiery excellent or ideal cut diamond around 1.5 ct or up to 1.7 ct. Doesnt need to be ice white but hopefully will match my natural diamond eternity band(see pic for my current set) I’m totally open to lab grown, I don’t have a budget but I’ve been considering upgrading my eternity from a 1 ct to a 2 ct as well or maybe upgrading my setting and going lab grown for my solitaire would allow me to do that. Can anyone help me find some fiery stones to consider? I have no idea where to even begin with lab created so I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 0818FD65-272D-4443-B553-6599120D0E7A.jpeg
    0818FD65-272D-4443-B553-6599120D0E7A.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 5C02AC71-AA6D-4C30-B032-FB583DA22221.jpeg
    5C02AC71-AA6D-4C30-B032-FB583DA22221.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're looking to go big, here are a couple options.

And these are options under 2ct.

Can you give us a better idea of the color and size you're looking for?

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Yea sorry I worded it funny! I would like to actually stick to around 1.5-1.7. I don’t think I would be comfortable wearing anything bigger for daily. Color I think something close to G-I would be great.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea sorry I worded it funny! I would like to actually stick to around 1.5-1.7. I don’t think I would be comfortable wearing anything bigger for daily. Color I think something close to G-I would be great.

Another look through James Allen yielded these two stones.

This one is my favorite, with a 35.3 crown angle and 15.5% crown height--sure to be a fiery stone!

I also thought this one was beautiful.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found a 2.15 E VS1 that I would strongly suggest that you consider.
It has a 40.6/35.6/55.5 combo with an amazing 16% crown height, which puts it onto strong fiery territory.
Looking at it from the side it appears a little more warm, so I'd venture to guess it would be equivalent to a GIA G color.

Compared to a 1.7 carat with a 7.70mm spread, this one will face up only around 15% more area: not massively drastic, but noticeable.
Again, just bringing it to your attention because of the taller crown height which will certainly help with dispersion/fire.

170 vs 215 Diamond.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few more possibilities on RareCarat.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Found a 2.15 E VS1 that I would strongly suggest that you consider.
It has a 40.6/35.6/55.5 combo with an amazing 16% crown height, which puts it onto strong fiery territory.
Looking at it from the side it appears a little more warm, so I'd venture to guess it would be equivalent to a GIA G color.

Compared to a 1.7 carat with a 7.70mm spread, this one will face up only around 15% more area: not massively drastic, but noticeable.
Again, just bringing it to your attention because of the taller crown height which will certainly help with dispersion/fire.

170 vs 215 Diamond.png

Does the crown height help with the fire and brilliance? I love that one but it’s definitely a little big for me, but I love that its hearts and arrows are very distinct.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you feel that the 2.15 would be too much spread, then here's a 1.72 G VS2 pushing a 7.70mm spread, a 40.7/35.7/56 combo and also has a 16% crown height.
My guess is that it would be equivalent to a GIA I-J.
You can use the size comparison that I posted above since this 1.72 with a 7.69mm spread would be visually indistinguishable from the 7.70mm diameter that I entered.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I like that size a lot. Dumb question, the imperfections I can see on the video, is that something noticeable in person usually? Like the little flecks here and there?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I like that size a lot. Dumb question, the imperfections I can see on the video, is that something noticeable in person usually? Like the little flecks here and there?

Great question.
Quick answer that applies to the 1.72 diamond: 99% confidence that it would be not at all visible.
7.70mm = 0.30 inch, and those tiny inclusions are a fraction of the diamond's overall diameter.
You will need magnification to find and see them.

I zoomed out and took a tape measure to my computer monitor: the diamond is zoomed to be 0.5 inch diameter, which is a little wider than actual size.

170 G VS2 shrunken.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for explaining that. I see those specs in a lot of stones I look at and I’m like holy crap?!

Is there any benefit to get a lab created stone that has a GIA cert versus one without?

What do you think of this one?

You don't want that one.
The 41.4/33.0/59 combo is way out of bounds for recommended ideal proportions, causing light leakage and light return problems.
This one is a CVD diamond with some very evident striations/growth layer graining - that can (and with this one probably will) cause transparency and further light return/performance problems.

Here are a couple of 1.5 F VS1/VS2 options that would lean very fiery:

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Another look through James Allen yielded these two stones.

This one is my favorite, with a 35.3 crown angle and 15.5% crown height--sure to be a fiery stone!

I also thought this one was beautiful.

I really like that first “true hearts” one. I need to stop obsessing over the speckles I see! But that’s a really good one

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
You don't want that one.
The 41.4/33.0/59 combo is way out of bounds for recommended ideal proportions, causing light leakage and light return problems.
This one is a CVD diamond with some very evident striations/growth layer graining - that can (and with this one probably will) cause transparency and further light return/performance problems.

Well I have definitely come to the right people because my untrained eye and person had no idea! If I’m gonna upgrade I definitely want the performance I’ve been used to with my amora gem.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Well I have definitely come to the right people because my untrained eye and person had no idea! If I’m gonna upgrade I definitely want the performance I’ve been used to with my amora gem.

In case you missed it: I edited my last post and included a couple of 1.5ct diamonds for you to take a peek at.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
In case you missed it: I edited my last post and included a couple of 1.5ct diamonds for you to take a peek at.

Thank you! I like that “ideal” cut first one a lot.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I like that “ideal” cut first one a lot.

In this case, the second one likely gets "Excellent" instead of "Ideal" only because of the crown and pavilion angles combo. To my eyes, I think the diamond with "Excellent" looks just a tiny bit better and more evenly bright across the entire diameter, but this is merely a nitpick and likely won't be noticeable in real-world lighting and viewing conditions.

You've got some great options to pick from in your entire thread so far!
Glad to see that Kim N popped in to make some recommendations!

Last edited:

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate both you helping me out! I’m way off, every time I see a stone I just see “wow pretty sparkle” lol so I’m really glad I asked

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that first “true hearts” one. I need to stop obsessing over the speckles I see! But that’s a really good one

Here are two that are cleaner than the ones I posted previously. But it's like DejaWiz said--if you zoom out to actual size, you'll see that most of these speckles are way too small to be seen with the naked eye.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Here are two that are cleaner than the ones I posted previously. But it's like DejaWiz said--if you zoom out to actual size, you'll see that most of these speckles are way too small to be seen with the naked eye.

Yes good point that’s what I need to do. I have a local jeweler I have worked with in the past, he has lab created I wonder if it’s a good idea to just go see some in person. I don’t know what product he has but maybe just to see what the inclusions looks like in real life

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your local jeweler has to pay rent/mortgage, lights, etc. to stay open. So he can likely get the exact same lab diamonds being recommended to you here but, you know, being the middleman, he will have to charge you more money.

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Your local jeweler has to pay rent/mortgage, lights, etc. to stay open. So he can likely get the exact same lab diamonds being recommended to you here but, you know, being the middleman, he will have to charge you more money.
Absolutely true but maybe it’ll be good to see the carat sizes in person I’m thinking.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Agreed. No better way to make a determination.

Hey dejawiz,
What’s your opinion on the specs of this one? Should one be concerned with the method it was created or the fact it has “cloudiness”? B75902E3-498C-4B61-9F57-12FAD7D449A3.png 3A2FE7EF-085E-4243-A0B5-59948AA3C159.png 7DCAFDE5-EA09-403F-AC1A-28F14CBC46CE.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hey dejawiz,
What’s your opinion on the specs of this one? Should one be concerned with the method it was created or the fact it has “cloudiness”? B75902E3-498C-4B61-9F57-12FAD7D449A3.png 3A2FE7EF-085E-4243-A0B5-59948AA3C159.png 7DCAFDE5-EA09-403F-AC1A-28F14CBC46CE.png

Not for a VS1 that's been vetted by Jon (Rhino ) at DG - he is awesome and his diamonds are always a safe choice!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still looking around. What do you guys think of this one?

I wouldn't recommend this due to the leakage under the table. If you're looking to stick with G VVS2, I think this is a nicer stone.

If you're okay with VS1, this one is on sale:

And a few others:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestions from @Kim N - I especially love the looks of 12890053.

Here's another one to consider.
Extremely clean HPHT VS2 with a fiery 40.6/35.1/56.5 combo, a nice tall 15.5% crown height, thicker arrows, and a tint that would likely come in at a G with GIA.
Posting this one from merely a value/savings perspective since the price tag is enticing.
If price factor were set aside, then I'd recommend one with a bigger spread from the recommendations above.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another one with similar proportions and verified optical performance.

We're starting to dip into the price territory of the beautiful 1.65 F VS1 in Rhino's Private Reserve inventory with the measured 40.9/34.5/56.7 combo and individually vetted with more pertinent info than one can shake a stick at in two lifetimes, so it becomes a matter of how much tint/warmth will feed the need.

For IGI or GCAL, I usually expect them to be off by 1-2 (possibly/rarely 3), color grades compared to GIA.

LGBR165FVS1RP5935RHINO_1400x.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results