shape
carat
color
clarity

Help find a vintage/antique or like new used for under 800

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the loupetroop set...its a whole lot of ring(s) for $850! Its a popular style and the amount of diamonds will be impressive. This has gotten down
to a no brainer with your budgets/wants/timeline.

It looks to be in great condition. A polish ($20 at my jeweler) or a re-dip (not sure the cost of this but probably less than $50) will give it the brand
new look. Maybe the current owner can get it done and just add it to the total.

Not to mention you are running out of time and this seems to fit all your needs...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
226684D0-EE16-48A1-8E65-F7DC7DBBD162.jpeg 08F997BE-A6B3-44EC-93B0-0EF8E9575426.jpeg

This. At Kevin jewelers. The cheapest of all mall stores. 600 dollars will get you 50 tcw A0458F45-B814-4D82-9B54-1359A0400EE7.jpeg . 23DD8AE6-C19E-4144-9781-78488B247C8D.jpeg

That’s a nice set as well!! Brand new, maybe that is where OPs hesitation is, maybe he doesn’t really want preloved. This is less ctw, but also a pretty ring!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This. At Kevin jewelers. The cheapest of all mall stores. 600 dollars will get you 50 tcw A0458F45-B814-4D82-9B54-1359A0400EE7.jpeg . 23DD8AE6-C19E-4144-9781-78488B247C8D.jpeg [/QUOTE]
Pretty Nala! Did you make a special trip to look for him? So nice!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks to me like the prongs eclipse the diamonds on the shank-band of the Kevin set. So because I'd rather see more diamond than metal, I think it's worth paying $200 more for the LT set. :))

(Plus, I take a dim view of jewelers who put ridiculous "retail" price stickers on their merchandise as a ploy to convince unwitting consumers that the mark-down prices is a big bargain. And although I know the practice is widespread, especially in mall-type jewelry stores, I hate to see these jewelers profit by that kind of shenanigans.)

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's hard to find something in this price range that doesn't look cheap or tacky. I think the Kevin set or the Ivy and Rose options look nice for the money. A major advantage of the Kevin set is that OP can see it before purchasing. Ivy and Rose has a return/exchange policy. The loupetroop set does not have ANY return options. I would steer away from the loupetroop set, for that reason alone.

In my opinion, at this point in time, I would strongly urge @davidorangecali to go to Kevin's. The set is there to see and can be purchased immediately.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was at the mall. So I stopped in. This is just an example. Located in Lakewood Mall ( by Long Beach) so if OP is local to Orange County, Ca. But my point is that most KJ carry choices in this price range. Good luck.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to find something in this price range that doesn't look cheap or tacky. I think the Kevin set or the Ivy and Rose options look nice for the money. A major advantage of the Kevin set is that OP can see it before purchasing. Ivy and Rose has a return/exchange policy. The loupetroop set does not have ANY return options. I would steer away from the loupetroop set, for that reason alone. * * * (emphasis added by MM)
Ordinarily, a final sale policy gives me pause (or will stop me in my tracks). But in this case, the PSer who's selling the LT set has offered a number of photos plus the 3 videos, lasting more than few seconds & showing the set in different lightings. So I'd feel very comfortable that what I'm seeing is what I'd get. I'm personally not much taken with either of the Ivy & Rose rings, but more importantly here, I think the LT set will look more impressive to the fiancee's family and her Instagram audience than the Ivy and Rose rings or budget Kevin set.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ordinarily, a final sale policy gives me pause (or will stop me in my tracks). But in this case, the PSer who's selling the LT set has offered a number of photos plus the 3 videos, lasting more than few seconds & showing the set in different lightings. So I'd feel very comfortable that what I'm seeing is what I'd get. I'm personally not much taken with either of the Ivy & Rose rings, but more importantly here, I think the LT set will look more impressive to the fiancee's family and her Instagram audience than the Ivy and Rose rings or budget Kevin set.

Totally agree!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everyone's tastes are different, and only the OP's tastes really matter in the end. I do think he needs to make a decision quickly, in order to meet his timeline. If it were me, I'd go to Kevin's as soon as possible, put some eyeballs on a few sets, and walk out with something in hand. But, that's just me. I'm hoping he picks out whatever makes his heart sing and that he meets his timeline. I think the commitment and the thought behind the ring matters more to his girlfriend than the actual ring.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Everyone's tastes are different, and only the OP's tastes really matter in the end. I do think he needs to make a decision quickly, in order to meet his timeline. If it were me, I'd go to Kevin's as soon as possible, put some eyeballs on a few sets, and walk out with something in hand. But, that's just me. I'm hoping he picks out whatever makes his heart sing and that he meets his timeline. I think the commitment and the thought behind the ring matters more to his girlfriend than the actual ring.
I totally agree with you, I hope he gets the ring, any ring HE prefers, in time for the mid August proposal.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope so!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake and @purplesilk -- I'm sorry that you seem to have misunderstood the reason for my "more impressive" opinion; the genesis for that comment is because, in his very 1st post kicking off this thread, david let us know it matters that his ring choice comes off well to her family & that his fiancee will be eager to show the ring on social media.

Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing post-proposal pics of the ring on her finger, no matter which ring he chooses! And think it's great that he's going to propose sooner rather than later :))

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Since OPs GF is concerned about what family thinks, buying a bargain ring from the mall is probably not the best call- too easy for people to see the same mass produced ring in mall jewelry stores.
Go with the LT set.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since OPs GF is concerned about what family thinks, buying a bargain ring from the mall is probably not the best call- too easy for people to see the same mass produced ring in mall jewelry stores.
Go with the LT set.
Most mall rings are very similar. He didn’t specify unique. He did specify soc media worthy and that’s what soc media is about in certain social circles. Posting what others can relate. Also, Just under 800 bucks and brand recognition if it’s new. Some people think Kevin jewelers bc it’s in the mall is a good brand. Everyone has given up on pushing ps quality on op bc those are not his priorities. At this point, we are suggesting easy and inexpensive solutions. He will have many choices. Not just this one at KJ if he makes time to go.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
PSers are great people, but pushing the OP in only one direction - the LT ring - is not fair IMO; he's so indecisive because he knows nothing about e-rings/diamonds; so I think he should see with his own eyes different rings in order to make an informed choice...I don't doubt that the LT ring is the best option for the PS standars, but typical people set a budget, go to brick and mortar and choose what seems the best to their eyes...I personally consider buying unseen very very stressful.
Based on my milieu, family and friends would be more impressed by a new ring better than by a preowned one; typical people look at the overall impact of the ring no matter if it comes from the mall shop.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The entire point is that he is not going to get what he is aiming for new no matter how many stores he looks at (unless he goes with fake stones). He wants a blingy halo diamond ring for $850. That's why we are directing him to the LT set which would definitely cost more than $850 new at a mall store.

These would be a good option if he absolutely wants new, but it's a good example of what $800-900 will buy, and that's more of a cluster ring with a tiny center stone. Still, these are pretty if new is a requirement. I'd choose these over mall store rings, personally, and they can be ordered in her size (which he needs to be sure about).

https://www.jamesallen.com/fine-jewelry/royal-halo/?MaxPrice=908

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@nala, is that set at Kevin Jeweler's new or used? If new, and they have other choices in that range, maybe that is a better bet (even though that entire ring is only the ct. size of the center stone of the Loupe Tropp ring). They would probably do nice packaging and they could say that it came from a mall store.

@diamondseeker2006, She doesn't want a cluster ring, either, so those are out.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9E9D02B0-9398-44E0-996C-DC77E8803B44.jpeg E3DB180B-3E25-4F98-B68E-9457A7935559.jpeg
@nala, is that set at Kevin Jeweler's new or used? If new, and they have other choices in that range, maybe that is a better bet (even though that entire ring is only the ct. size of the center stone of the Loupe Tropp ring). They would probably do nice packaging and they could say that it came from a mall store.

So KJ has a clearance section. Some are new and some are not. This one was new. Each store has a different selection! I myself look for their estate pieces bc I know their quality is better. Lol. Here is a pic of an oec bracelet they have. The salespeople will not call it estate. They claim they don’t know if it is or isn’t. But duh. I recently discovered this section when I bought a gorgeous .90 6 stone band for 600 dollars. I have a thread on it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I am aware of that. But she's not gonna get what she really wants because they are both clueless about what diamond rings cost with the preferences expressed here. The Kevin ring has about the same total weight as the JA ones, a half carat, so I am not seeing that it is better than these from JA.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I am aware of that. But she's not gonna get what she really wants because they are both clueless about what diamond rings cost with the preferences expressed here. The Kevin ring has about the same total weight as the JA ones, a half carat, so I am not seeing that it is better than these from JA.
DS. Every KJ has different clearance sales. I’m not necessarily suggesting only this one. I just hope that he reads my post and sees an example of what is out there and even more possibilities.

Akalahab

Shiny_Rock
Have you been to a pawn shop? If you have a jewelry pawn shop in your area, even better. This was $150. You can spend less than $800 now and save the money for a more expensive ring later (or maybe you'll want to spend it on your wedding or honeymoon)

IMG_7106.JPG

Another ring. Price: $400 when I saw it a year ago.

IMG_7139.jpg

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Akalahab, I wouldn't suggest a pawn shop in this case. It seems like the OP is pretty new to diamonds and he is busy with working overtime and going to school and is on a tight deadline. I'm not sure he even realizes how tight of a deadline he's on!

Hopefully he has time on Monday to either 1) buy the loupe troop ring or 2) one of the Ivy and Rose ones or 3) get himself to Kevin's Jewelers and buy a ring. ASAP.

I am amazed at the bargains some of you folks find, though! And so jealous! I feel like we need a group shopping trip where everyone helps kindred find amazing deals! :lol-2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@Akalahab, I wouldn't suggest a pawn shop in this case. It seems like the OP is pretty new to diamonds and he is busy with working overtime and going to school and is on a tight deadline. I'm not sure he even realizes how tight of a deadline he's on!

Hopefully he has time on Monday to either 1) buy the loupe troop ring or 2) one of the Ivy and Rose ones or 3) get himself to Kevin's Jewelers and buy a ring. ASAP.

I am amazed at the bargains some of you folks find, though! And so jealous! I feel like we need a group shopping trip where everyone helps kindred find amazing deals! :lol-2:

That would be fun! The CS sub-forum has a $600 and under bargains thread so you guys should start the equivalent of that here. Maybe $1000 and under, seeing that it’s diamonds?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, what did the OP get???

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
That would be fun! The CS sub-forum has a $600 and under bargains thread so you guys should start the equivalent of that here. Maybe $1000 and under, seeing that it’s diamonds?
I love this idea....maybe someone should start this...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, what did the OP get???
I think he’s going to do something today because he spent all weekend with his girlfriend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results