shape
carat
color
clarity

Help find a vintage/antique or like new used for under 800

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST DON'T JUST REPLY TO TITLE!

I had tried another thread with multiple scenarios and options and it became a cluster F so I'm making a specific thread to one of my options. If you want more back story feel free to read through all those pages in that thread that is now closed. Please note that I'm not looking for alternatives to what I'm specifically asking for here, not that I'm ungrateful for other opinions or options but I know how my GF is and what she would prefer. For those who were offering suggestions to my other options that I had given I will make separate threads regarding those other options if I go that route so that we can keep the thread as clean as possible. For those wondering why my dollar amount came down to under 800 now it's because the repairs to my bathroom came in over the estimate by a few hundred dollars and my water bill showed up yesterday that was still showing the effects of the leak (over 5x our normal bill:boohoo:)

So I talked to my gf last night and she was of course understanding with everything and I basically told her don't expect any rings until Nov/Dec but she was excited to talk rings with me even if she wasn't as excited about the time frame. Now in the scenario for this thread I would be surprising her with an early engagement ring Aug 18th because we're taking a trip and I think it would be perfect to propose when we're on top of Mt San Jacinto while the sun is setting over Southern California. In order to meet this deadline one of my main options is looking at pre-loved rings.

A little background to what my GF likes before getting into particulars. She has a very judgy pushy family who wouldn't look to kindly on a used ring that's why I am looking for a like new pre-loved. I also believe if a ring is really antique then it might go over well with them hearing that the ring might be close to 100 years old makes it seem more elegant even if it isn't as expensive as others. I don't care as much what her family thinks but I know she cares very deeply what they think because it hurts her a lot when they come down on her for not being married yet, kind've a cultural thing again read the earlier thread for more info if you want. When talking to her about vintage rings she hadn't really thought of it before but after she did some image searches she really loves the idea of an antique ring now! I'm not as big a fan but as long as she's happy I'll be happy. I'm just worried about the 'antique' looking too worn and used. Another thing that dawned on me is that my gf, unlike myself and others on this forum, doesn't really care about certifications or bang for buck or easy upgrades or anything like that. She loves social media and she LOVES to post everything so I know the type of ring she would love would be the one that would look amazing on insta/fb etc. She does hate the idea of overly blingy though one of our friends has a big halo ring but it just has the middle filled in with small diamonds instead of 1 center diamond so she's not fond of that and neither am I.

The particulars:
Size: 7 to 7.5

Center stone: diamond (no colored diamonds or sims, lab diamonds are ok but not preferred)

Setting: white gold (or plat) in Halo, side stone/pave, NO solitaires and nothing with a bunch of twists or turns fanciness on the band itself. Again something that will photograph beautifully.

Time Frame: Must be delivered by Wed Aug 15th. We leave for our trip early morning Thursday.

Price range: 800 and under. PLEASE do not suggest financing or layaway see the original thread for more details.

I do like this ring from Ivy and Rose but its a little above my price range and I have tried looking on eBay but I see things like this and realize that I don't know enough to really dig through the eBay rings and find the really nice things that won't get me ripped off so I'm hoping you guys can help. There were literally so many people trying to help in the last thread that it became impossible to to keep up. But I really can't stress how grateful and thankful I am to everyone for all their help.

Another Ivy and Rose I'm liking! https://ivyandrose.com/products/e-v...-antique-ba788e41-fded-4b8f-81c2-52650543803e

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali I think both of those ivy and rose ones are excellent choices. I personally prefer the first one because of the "clean" halo, but I think either will make both her and her family happy :)

The other ebay one is just a scam. Likely a crap cz pretending to be lab created diamond. If I were you I would just stick to ivy and rose or other known vendors, since ebay is a mine field!

Edit. @natasha-cupcake none of those are halos, which op specifically requested.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That first I & R ring is lovely. First, I would ask if it could be safely sized up, then I would make them an offer they cannot refuse.:))

cheers--Sharon

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali here is a larger version of the one you like, and if I were you I would call ivy and rose to see if they think this larger one is worth the extra $$. It's bigger, but less good clarity grade and cut, which always makes me a little nervous. That said, I know that sixe/appearance might matter more. If they feel like this is worth the extra $300, I'll pay the difference. Not joking, no strings. I live really close to you in southern ca (90min from mt San jacinto), and I feel for your situation. And if you don't like the idea of taking help from a random stranger then ignore this :)

https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-1...diamond-halo-engagement-ring-white-gold-carat

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali I think both of those ivy and rose ones are excellent choices. I personally prefer the first one because of the "clean" halo, but I think either will make both her and her family happy :)

The other ebay one is just a scam. Likely a crap cz pretending to be lab created diamond. If I were you I would just stick to ivy and rose or other known vendors, since ebay is a mine field!

Edit. @natasha-cupcake none of those are halos, which op specifically requested.

I read it to mean halo OR side stone/pave. Is it halo AND side stone/pave? Maybe OP can clarify. I certainly don't want to clog up another thread!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the Ivynand Rose one.
It’s beautiful, it’s impressive, it’s high quality diamonds, they are a reputable company, the can resize quickly and economically and get it to you in time.
eBay can be tricky, some vendors are better than others. Buying pre loved can mean the seller isn’t a jeweller so they can’t offer resizing for you and if looking for a specific size, you might have to pass over great options.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali here is a larger version of the one you like, and if I were you I would call ivy and rose to see if they think this larger one is worth the extra $$. It's bigger, but less good clarity grade and cut, which always makes me a little nervous. That said, I know that sixe/appearance might matter more. If they feel like this is worth the extra $300, I'll pay the difference. Not joking, no strings. I live really close to you in southern ca (90min from mt San jacinto), and I feel for your situation. And if you don't like the idea of taking help from a random stranger then ignore this :)

https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-1...diamond-halo-engagement-ring-white-gold-carat

WOW. :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify, any pre loved ring you get from Ivy and Rose will have been professionally re polished. It will be perfectly bright and shiny. The only “give away” might be “style” but everyone is making brand new rings in the exact style of the beautiful older settings so technically no one could really be sure sure is a “vintage vintage” or a “brand new vintage”.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I used the phrase "bang for the buck" in your first thread, I meant that those rings would have a lot of presence for the amount of money spent. And that they would be great for posting photos on Instagram and other social media. Like that set that I re-posted above. (Originally suggested by @lovedogs, IIRC).

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

what a generous offer <3

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to keep making your thread longer, but I just wanted to add that the $850 set is currently a size 7, so it may fit your girlfriend perfectly as is.

ETA - A jeweler can easily polish out any scuffs and do a rhodium dip to make everything shiny and looking brand new.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
hmm not the biggest fan of these thanks though.

yea I assumed it was some type of scam that's why I'm not really looking at ebay unless someone more knowledgeable suggests something

wow that is such an amazing offer. this community has been absolutely incredible I can't believe there are this many nice people who are crazy about diamonds! That being said I don't think I could possibly accept and it really is touching offer. If anything maybe I could leave you a post dated check to reimburse you so it wouldn't be a gift as much as a loan? Let me try to contact ivy and rose directly however because that is a beautiful ring!

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
This set is still available. I wrote to the seller and the bands are resizeable.

post.jpg

It's $850 and the shipping is free. I am surprised that it hasn't sold yet and I would expect it to sell quickly. I have been tempted to buy it for myself!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...-and-10k-white-gold-diamond-wedding-set;23497
This is still one of my favorites but it worries me that it'll look worn its hard to see entirely on the videos. I'm not all that aware of how good a job a polish and rhodium dip does to a worn ring.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Sorry to keep making your thread longer, but I just wanted to add that the $850 set is currently a size 7, so it may fit your girlfriend perfectly as is.

ETA - A jeweler can easily polish out any scuffs and do a rhodium dip to make everything shiny and looking brand new.
does a polish and dip really work magic or will there still be visible wear?

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
IDJ- they have a lot of settings and diamonds in stock and they have been able to turn around a ring in days! Please do consider them.

They have an eBay account, here are two options, but they do have more.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153119535131

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183351646770
I think the second one has a little TOO much bling I think I was blinded for a second. the first one looks really amazing though but it worries me how little information it has listed. I dont believe I see the center diamond weight it just has the total

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^ It really can make it look brand new, especially when the starting condition is as good as those rings.

You should have seen the difference just a polish made to the old yellow gold ring that my grandmother had scratched to heck over 30+ years!

If you think you want that set, I would contact the seller before someone else snaps it up. I'm sure she would be willing to take more photos of the back of the rings for you.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the second one has a little TOO much bling I think I was blinded for a second. the first one looks really amazing though but it worries me how little information it has listed. I dont believe I see the center diamond weight it just has the total

You must call them. They are a very repitable jeweler and multiple of my friends have gotten reigns from them. You will see that there are many positive reviews about IDJ on PS as well. Call and ask for Joey, give her your budget and timeframe, she will send you options with current settings and stones.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I bought a 1920s ring from a fellow pricescoper a few years ago, paid $35 to have it re-rhodium plated, and it looked brand new. I’ve also had gold pieces polished and they look absolutely brand new after. So I think if you did those things to the loupe troop set it wouldn’t be super expensive and they would look great!

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
You must call them. They are a very repitable jeweler and multiple of my friends have gotten reigns from them. You will see that there are many positive reviews about IDJ on PS as well. Call and ask for Joey, give her your budget and timeframe, she will send you options with current settings and stones.
Thanks I'll try contacting them.

@davidorangecali you can contact me off the boards through my loupe troop listings. Here's one as an example: https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/10mm-f1-moissanite-in-dk-ring.

We can figure it out! :appl::appl:
Thanks! I'm going to contact Ivy and Rose directly and see what they can do on the price but I think borrowing shouldn't be my first option. Maybe they can help me out and I'm going to try contacting IDJ as well.

Unfortunately I'm spending most of this weekend with my gf so it'll be hard to contact them without her noticing I may have to wait until Monday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results