shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluate a 7.5 carat stone

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think Rockdiamond got his masters in I1 at Harry Winston University.
He had a an EC, F color I1 a few years ago that I'm still kicking myself for not buying.
"Step cut from the steppes."

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
So my engagement ring is from Jonathan Weingarden at distinctive gem. He is not only great to work with, but will find you exactly what your looking for and if he can’t find it he will cut it for you! Then he’ll take the time to custom design your perfect setting. Takes time so patience needed since he’s busy, but is worth it. I haven’t read every response in this thread, but I can almost guarantee you will be much happier with a well cut diamond that has beautiful light performance. I did a custom cut with Jonathan (Weingarden mixed cut - emerald with brillianteered crown). But he does a modern hearts and arrows custom cut for rounds with a perfect Aset scope (light performance) that no GIA report will give you. You’ll know every time you look at your diamond that it couldn’t possibly be any prettier, brighter or well cut. As a bonus they look bigger! My 5 carat is so bright everyone thinks it’s way larger (12.15 by 8.52)…. Makes me incredibly happy every time I look down at my hand . He even shoots his videos with the same diamond in all types of lighting so no BS trying to hide anything like people are talking about here by manipulating perception with jewelry lighting. His business is getting (and is known for) finding the most beautiful diamonds. You will not find any retailer that will maximize light performance and cut over compromising with a much larger diamond they can get more money for…. It’s a hunt and peck and ending up with something less than ideal. Like other people said, resale is dead. Buy for beauty and you will have no regrets. A friend bought a round with visible inclusions she thought wouldn’t bother her and she said that’s all she sees. Every one of them. Every time she looks down at her hand because big diamonds show everything. I echo others concerns and am glad you got your deposit back! Good luck!!

Thank you - I will reach out to see if he may be able to help

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Here’s my thinking: it seems likely to me that if you’re spending that kind of money on that size diamond, you likely have others in your social/family circle with similar sized stones. Far better, IMO, to buy a spectacular 5-6 carat stone than a not-great larger stone. People *will* notice and your ring won’t have the impact I suspect you’re hoping for. That said, in NYC I use David S. Diamonds in the district on 5th Ave.

This is true. Just because i'm illiterate when it comes to diamonds, doesn't mean everyone else is.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
I have had good luck with B2C. They do hand you off to a different person for each stage: one helps with the stone, one takes you through the payment process, one helps you set it, etc (well IIRC and I think that is how it went last time) and they have a person we can call on and tag here if there are any issues.

It seems they are sourcing stones from India though and they cant get me anything more than these ridiculous 'highly magnified" CAD style images/videos

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Here's another option that has popped up. Why have they called out "faint brown" in this cert?

Attachments

• GIA_PDF_6431662568.pdf
    599.6 KB · Views: 84

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another option that has popped up. Why have they called out "faint brown" in this cert?

Ok. I’ve been meaning to mention brown milky green body colors but I kept forgetting. Higher than I think a J color, reports don’t note body color IIRC, but j+ they do.

I’ll see if I can find a link.

I also strongly recommend you contact a jeweler and have them collect a few diamonds for you with the parameters you want and go in person to see them.

David at Diamonds by Lauren and Yekutiel at ID Jewelry are both in the diamond district in NYC and across the street from each other.

Edited: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...se-in-the-trade-chime-in.243144/#post-4400612

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more link about brown milky green undertones. https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/diamond-color-undertones

personally, I like brown undertones generally speaking. I might not always like them but I most of the time like the effect instead of a yellow. It’s just a different look some people can pick up on.

ETA: body tint gives you a price break but is likely considered “not desirable” by many. It’s a personal preference.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Faint brown is the tint, not as common as faint yellow. It can be quite beautiful.
B2C doesn't own the diamonds, they have trading partners internationally. They will reach out to their partners if you have concerns. And I have seen them refuse to sell a diamond because it was so poorly made.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems they are sourcing stones from India though and they cant get me anything more than these ridiculous 'highly magnified" CAD style images/videos

Maybe someone in the trade can explain it best. Most diamonds are overseas. The jeweler requests it with something called something like a memo credit and then the stone gets shipped over.

A Brick and mortar jewelry store like in your city has diamonds “in house” and so they can show you the ones they actually own and have in hand.

With companies like white flash and Brian Gavin diamonds and others (sorry if I left you out, I’m distracted), they have their own diamonds in house that they can photograph, take a video of, show your ASETs etc. However, they likely don’t carry the low clarity you are looking for and they usually don’t carry colors past a K let’s say.

For the bargain price range you are looking in, you aren’t going to get full service. You have to pay for that. I know 100k is a lot of money. I know it seems like you should get everything you want for that. You aren’t though because you want the largest stone possible, so in addition to giving up cut and clarity, you are also giving up extras like videos and images (which cost time and money).

I hope that makes sense. You are putting all your money into the stone so you don’t get any extras. This is another reason we were suggesting you consider going to a 5 carat stone…. So you can get everything else also.

If you go in person to see stones, you can actually see and compare them and maybe you don’t need images. There are reasons (Mentioned above) why buying sight unseen on the internet isn’t always the best choice. As Rockdiamond mentioned, we can’t recommend an I1 because we can’t see it. It might be ok in person, but we really ethically can’t recommend one in that size that we haven’t been able to see and feel etc.

Please post screen shots of the certificates and not the links. For whatever reason my apple devices won’t download them. Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, please read this and there are several really good articles under the education section at the top of the page.

you can buy an ideal scope to evaluate light leakage https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m leaving my driveway right now. You can upload to IG or YouTube and link it here.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I didn't check the angles but the 7.19 Light Brown looks promising. I *believe* Light Brown tinted diamonds trade at a slight discount. LB tinted diamonds can look amazing set in Rose Gold. Are you considering a Rose Gold setting?

ETA: How is the price of this one versus the other 7.19 ct SI1? I'm curious if it is less or if the clarity negates the tint price difference.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 7.19 L is the best we have seen so far that you are serious about. From what I can tell.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer we can’t compare it to the 8 carat from B2C

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Op seemed to indicate they don’t have any other images to show her

Correct, the they don't have any additional images or videos and claim they cant get any from source/cutter either.

In terms of price, the faint brown 7.15 is priced around 15k higher than the original 7.19 L SI1.

I was not planning on setting stone in anything other than platinum. Is there concern that this would highlight the brown tint?

Video of the 7.15 stone linked here:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe someone in the trade can explain it best. Most diamonds are overseas. The jeweler requests it with something called something like a memo credit and then the stone gets shipped over.

It's true that India really "cornered the market" over the past 10 years.. there are more diamonds located there than in other markets- but there's still a $hitload of diamonds in NYC:)
Many of the stones being offered on the web are located in India for this reason.
But personally- I prefer it if the stone is on US soil. Shipping a stone from India is costly. Due to these issues, there are going to be expectations- greater than if the stone was shipped domestically- or simply picked up from the cutter. These considerartions may not be apparent to the retail consumer...but they might. Shipping costs- lack of photos- difficulty in communication......but on average, the stones in India are cheaper than those in NYC...generally.
A lot of the "bargain basement" stones are located in India- and the difficulties I've talked about make them more difficult to access and assess.
There are big advantages to the "database" system in the selection, and price...but it does come at a cost....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's true that India really "cornered the market" over the past 10 years.. there are more diamonds located there than in other markets- but there's still a $hitload of diamonds in NYC:)
Many of the stones being offered on the web are located in India for this reason.
But personally- I prefer it if the stone is on US soil. Shipping a stone from India is costly. Due to these issues, there are going to be expectations- greater than if the stone was shipped domestically- or simply picked up from the cutter. These considerartions may not be apparent to the retail consumer...but they might. Shipping costs- lack of photos- difficulty in communication......but on average, the stones in India are cheaper than those in NYC...generally.
A lot of the "bargain basement" stones are located in India- and the difficulties I've talked about make them more difficult to access and assess.
There are big advantages to the "database" system in the selection, and price...but it does come at a cost....

Thanks, that was interesting.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, the they don't have any additional images or videos and claim they cant get any from source/cutter either.

In terms of price, the faint brown 7.15 is priced around 15k higher than the original 7.19 L SI1.

I was not planning on setting stone in anything other than platinum. Is there concern that this would highlight the brown tint?

Video of the 7.15 stone linked here:

The video is very short but it looks pretty.

you will be setting it in platinum as what… a solitaire? How many prongs? how many mm wide or can you show us an inspiration photo? Thanks. I don’t mean to overwhelm you… just trying to see what you like.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
The stone is 12.33 mm - i'd be looking for a simple solitaire setting (thinnest prongs & band possible)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The stone is 12.33 mm - i'd be looking for a simple solitaire setting (thinnest prongs & band possible)

Oh you should look at @Mreader ‘s setting!

Here's the thread. This is nice because there are enough prongs to keep the stone secure. It's an elegant, minimalistic setting-especially from the top view. For the profile, you could do a simpler crown profile.

Last edited:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Is 65k an unreasonable price for this stone? Will it lose value over time?

I’m a bit surprised by all the feedback. I know it wasn’t a highly desirable stone but didn’t think it’d be this bad!

I genuinely wasn’t able to tell the diff in color/sparkle between this and j/k colored stones in a similar size.

You probably couldn’t tell the difference due to the lighting in the store. But out and about in daily life chances are very good you are going to be very disappointed in this stone! The size is very tempting I’m sure but you are sacrificing way too much for it in this case.
You have the budget for something amazing!! Dazzling!! And spectacular!!
Don’t settle for this.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results