shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluate a 7.5 carat stone

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying again to link the jewels by grace 5.91 antique cut just so you can see it

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me add this: my first engagement ring was an I1 clarity D color and the inclusions didn’t affect the stone. (Crystals underneath the stone like how you described the first one).

The cut was probably standard for 1993 (Not great, no hearts and arrows and I wore it for 16 years). So I have a high tolerance for low clarity and I think it’s a good value. However, mine was .75 (now a pendant). It’s a pretty stone.

if you can see some carbon or inclusions at 7.5 carats, so what who cares? That means it’s real.

The issue with an SI2 at 7.5 carats is that the clouds could look exactly like that.. it could make a section of the ring look cloudy. Please do a search on what that means.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
I was able to get more photos from the "cutter overseas". Is it just me, or does this not look as clean as their original photo?

Does anyone have experience buying a stone online, particularly from brilliance? IMG-20221115-WA0021.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20221115-WA0022.jpeg
    IMG-20221115-WA0022.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 103

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the second stone? It could be dirty but I suspect it’s those clouds. That would bother me most likely… like it’s dirty and you can’t get it clean.

Many of us buy online with certain vendors. Some of us fly to the vendors to see in person. We have a few recommended in the NYC and Long Island area, a few in the Houston area. Etc.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Is this the second stone? It could be dirty but I suspect it’s those clouds. That would bother me most likely… like it’s dirty and you can’t get it clean.

Many of us buy online with certain vendors. Some of us fly to the vendors to see in person. We have a few recommended in the NYC and Long Island area, a few in the Houston area. Etc.

Yeah, it really stands out in the second photo.

Would you mind sharing who your recommended vendors are? Particularly Houston and NYC.

Thanks in advance!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it really stands out in the second photo.

Would you mind sharing who your recommended vendors are? Particularly Houston and NYC.

Thanks in advance!

Whiteflash is in Houston and ID Jewelry and Good Old Gold are in New York - just to name a few. Many of us have worked with Whiteflash; I can personally definitely recommend them!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYC would be ID Jewelry and Diamonds by Lauren in the Diamond district. They are basically across the street from each other. I think August Vintage and Good old Gold are on Long Island. I think B2C Jewels is also in the city but I don’t know if they have a showroom you can visit.

Houston would be Whiteflash and Brian Gavin Diamonds.

At the size and price you want, it’s probably better to call or email first so they can look for a few to show you when you get there.

I have no affiliation with any of them… I get no money for mentioning them. Etc.

With that amount, I’d probably use a credit card over cash or wire transfer, though you might be able to get a discount with a wire transfer.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is…. You need to prioritize what you want most for your budget.

If you want size, then size is the priority and you will likely have to sacrifice clarity and color.

If you want cut, then you will likely have to sacrifice size with your budget.

It is like putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Remember above everything else that this is YOUR ring and not ours. Buy the one you love.

If you want my opinion, I suggest going down to a 4.5 to 5 carat range and see what you land there.

let me tag @Phoenix if she is around here somewhere. I think she has about a 7 carat round. @mrs-b what are your thoughts here?

I mean yea, who doesn‘t want a 7.5 carat diamond? It’s going to spin on your finger though, be at risk for theft (please get insurance. I’m missing two rings right now and it’s killing me but both are insured and it’s such a relief) and you are going to have to pick and choose where you will wear it because it’s going to get knocked around. Maybe Phoenix can speak to these things.

If a 7.5 carat is what you want, then go for it and get the best one you can find for your price range.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and also go by measurements and not carats. The length width and depth show the actual size of the stone over carat weight (Which is how heavy it is).

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since size is a concern, have you considered going down in size a bit to get a better diamond and putting it in a halo setting to get you the finger coverage you want?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can you get more images on the 7.19 ct? I wonder Jon at Distinctive Gem could act as your concierge and bring one of those stones in for you to look at in the NYC area. There might be a small concierge fee but it may be worth it for peace of mind.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, Martin passed away. Perhaps Colin, his son, is still running the business?

Oh no!! I wondered why the database wasn’t running.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost everyone on this forum long term has bought high quality diamonds online.

This diamond does not belong to me (another PS member bought it), but it shows you what a nicely cut 5.5 ct diamond looks like on a size 5.5 finger. This is from Whiteflash.

591EF513-7C97-4F26-8175-88F04370518C.jpeg

So seriously, do you think a 7 ct round diamond is going to look good on a size 5.5 finger?

We have a few members here with 5 ct diamonds from WHiteflash. They are superideal cut and cost a bit more, but they also are more beautiful than an average diamond. I think the last GIA proportions looked great as far as cut goes, but I wouldn’t go less than VS2 clarity in a stone that large.

I know we all have preferences, but if I saw someone with that original diamond on, I would think they just wanted the largest diamond they could find without any regard to quality or beauty. I’d rather have a 4 or 5 ct excellent diamond any day over a 7 ct low color, low clairity, and poor cut. People will notice beautiful and ugly diamonds at that size. We just want you to end up with something that you can be proud to own in the end.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
I'm waiting to hear back on the 7.19

Also came across the following stone. I know there was mention with structural integrity with the initial I2. Is there a similar concern with an I1?

Attachments

• 6187881420Round833LI1.pdf
    726 KB · Views: 118

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I1 might be okay in a very small stone for some people, not in a large one . Stick to SI1 or higher. Some SI1s will not be acceptable in large stones.

That stone has a low crown And larger table. Wouldn’t consider I1 with a feather. Feathers are cracks. Please look at SI1 or higher.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There can be structural concerns with I1s, absolutely. Especially in larger sizes where feathers are the grade-making inclusion.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Also came across the following stone. I know there was mention with structural integrity with the initial I2. Is there a similar concern with an I1?

Something has got to be up with this diamond. I would be curious to see a real picture of this stone. Those crystals on the table have to be driving the clarity down or maybe the clouds and pinpoints not shown.

Again, diamonds are not an investment vehicle, but I would not store any value in a I1 or I2 clarity stone of this carat weight.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can’t download this attachment

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that with a 5-7 carat stone, you probably need to be in the VS2 or maybe SI 1-2 range for clarity.

You are seeing clarity in the Is because that is what has to happen to get you a 7 carat for 65k. You are trying to find a needle in a haystack.

You might consider L/M/N color in yellow gold and embrace the warmth.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Almost everyone on this forum long term has bought high quality diamonds online.

This diamond does not belong to me (another PS member bought it), but it shows you what a nicely cut 5.5 ct diamond looks like on a size 5.5 finger. This is from Whiteflash.

So seriously, do you think a 7 ct round diamond is going to look good on a size 5.5 finger?

We have a few members here with 5 ct diamonds from WHiteflash. They are superideal cut and cost a bit more, but they also are more beautiful than an average diamond. I think the last GIA proportions looked great as far as cut goes, but I wouldn’t go less than VS2 clarity in a stone that large.

I know we all have preferences, but if I saw someone with that original diamond on, I would think they just wanted the largest diamond they could find without any regard to quality or beauty. I’d rather have a 4 or 5 ct excellent diamond any day over a 7 ct low color, low clairity, and poor cut. People will notice beautiful and ugly diamonds at that size. We just want you to end up with something that you can be proud to own in the end.

Ok @diamondseeker2006 that 5.5 ct looks massive on your finger!

I personally went down to a HRD M color for my 7.6 ct. You can see that it looks right at home on my stubby 6.5 size finger :lol-2:

IMG_7199.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many combined years of wisdom, experience and mistakes sharing advice with you here. And this is what you wanted or you wouldn’t have posted. $70K is not chump change so as @diamondseeker2006 said with such compassion and she wisdom,
“People will notice beautiful and ugly diamonds at that size. We just want you to end up with something that you can be proud to own in the end.”

So any “I”s in this size are inadvisable. Don’t do it to put it bluntly. The diamond may crack, split, or be cloudy and full of inclusions so it won’t be sparkly. Just big isn’t gonna get you there. Big and ugly is just ugly and more of it. Since you can’t give in size or clarity, you can only give on color. Maybe go down to L, M or lower. And it goes without saying that cut is most important of all. If it’s poorly cut, it will just look like a clear-ish dead crystal. And at 7 carats anyone will be able to see that. $70k is too much money for that. Do lots of looking and don’t rush it. Educate your eyes and yourself and cultivate your taste. You can only benefit. Good luck.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think that the 7.19 that Lovedogs found looks promising-as long as it’s eye clean.

BDEB37C1-C3EA-46C5-A4A6-9735F9DA380F.jpeg

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
I think that the 7.19 that Lovedogs found looks promising-as long as it’s eye clean.

BDEB37C1-C3EA-46C5-A4A6-9735F9DA380F.jpeg

Oddly enough, this “cutter” isn’t offering any additional photos. Sounds a bit fishy,

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
There are many combined years of wisdom, experience and mistakes sharing advice with you here. And this is what you wanted or you wouldn’t have posted. $70K is not chump change so as @diamondseeker2006 said with such compassion and she wisdom,
“People will notice beautiful and ugly diamonds at that size. We just want you to end up with something that you can be proud to own in the end.”

So any “I”s in this size are inadvisable. Don’t do it to put it bluntly. The diamond may crack, split, or be cloudy and full of inclusions so it won’t be sparkly. Just big isn’t gonna get you there. Big and ugly is just ugly and more of it. Since you can’t give in size or clarity, you can only give on color. Maybe go down to L, M or lower. And it goes without saying that cut is most important of all. If it’s poorly cut, it will just look like a clear-ish dead crystal. And at 7 carats anyone will be able to see that. $70k is too much money for that. Do lots of looking and don’t rush it. Educate your eyes and yourself and cultivate your taste. You can only benefit. Good luck.

Beautifully written. Thank you for this valuable insight!

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock

591EF513-7C97-4F26-8175-88F04370518C.jpeg

Beautiful stone! Yes I’ve tried on many in the 7-10 carat range and 7.5 is where I’m most comfortable.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes if you google the Gia report number, you can find it elsewhere (might be a different price though).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results