shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluate a 7.5 carat stone

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Hi- new to this forum. My husband and I have been looking for a new stone for some time and have been working with 2 Jewelers in NYC.

We came across a GIA certified stone: 7.5 carats, I2 (most inclusions at bottom of stone - not a whole lot visible up top) L color but faces up like a H. Price point is 65k.

For the stone experts out there, does this seem reasonable?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately this isnt enough information for anyone to help you. We need images/videos/certificate to provide any advice. Generally speaking I would avoid an I2, especially in a stone that large.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately this isnt enough information for anyone to help you. We need images/videos/certificate to provide any advice. Generally speaking I would avoid an I2, especially in a stone that large.

+1

Also, I wonder if there are any structural issues in setting an I2 of that size...

What is the shape of the stone?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would be very leary of this. An I2 isn't something I would consider for any diamond. An L that faces up like an H? That is a 4-5 color difference. Who is telling you it faces up like an H? Have you seen the diamond in person?

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock

Attached!

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
+1

Also, I wonder if there are any structural issues in setting an I2 of that size...

What is the shape of the stone?

It’s a round. They said once it’s been mounted no risk of anything happening to stone. Just needs a skilled mounted.

Wouldn’t the grading have made note if there were any structural issues?

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Attaching grading and photos of stone 36E67617-1606-4F97-AF4B-19C35C5CA32C.jpeg

Attachments

• 97F8B1A6-0440-40F8-B04B-D7E070266E87.jpeg
    97F8B1A6-0440-40F8-B04B-D7E070266E87.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 547
  • FB71A530-991F-4B24-B71D-F17B2F9BA8B2.jpeg
    FB71A530-991F-4B24-B71D-F17B2F9BA8B2.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 550

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no. This stone is horribly cut. Please dont buy it. And no, there wouldn't be any mention of structural issues on a report, as labs dont do that.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Oh no. This stone is horribly cut. Please dont buy it. And no, there wouldn't be any mention of structural issues on a report, as labs dont do that.

May I ask what the concern is with a poorly cut stone?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand wanting a big ole diamond, but I would not want those inclusions. And it won’t sparkle very much, as @lovedogs says, because of the cut. Maybe try Brian Gavin Diamonds Cape Diamonds. That is what I would do, if size was my priority.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, whomever told you it faces up like an H is incorrect. It is very clearly tinted (which I dont mind), but it certainly doesnt face up like an H. For 65k you could find something so much better.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
thank you for all your candid feedback.

Issue now becomes, my husband has already but a deposit on this stone. Is this a bad stone or do I run the risk of something happening to it overtime? Similarly related to its value over time - will it depreciate?

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Also, whomever told you it faces up like an H is incorrect. It is very clearly tinted (which I dont mind), but it certainly doesnt face up like an H. For 65k you could find something so much better.

Interestingly enough, tried on similar size K SI2 that was double the price and felt it had a similar level of sparkle. I wonder if it’s just my untrained eye

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you for all your candid feedback.

Issue now becomes, my husband has already but a deposit on this stone. Is this a bad stone or do I run the risk of something happening to it overtime? Similarly related to its value over time - will it depreciate?

I would run to ask for the deposit back. The cut is terrible and the color definitely looks like an L which is not always a bad thing but coupled with the cut makes it a no go. Not sure what price point you are at for the diamond. However, those specs would never be highly desirable and unless that jeweler would take it back in trade you would have a hard time selling it unless it was deeply discounted.

It has a much larger table than depth and it is .11 out of round in the diameter - and that is just for starters. While clarity plots often look worse than they appear in real life, that plot is just terrible. I understand that you may be excited about the prospect of it and while no one likes to rain on another’s parade, this is the time to be rained on - before you purchase it!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Attaching grading and photos of stone 36E67617-1606-4F97-AF4B-19C35C5CA32C.jpeg

Yikes! Nope! I’ll echo others. The cut quality is terrible, an I2 is not going to be eye clean and will likely have transparency issues (especially at that size) and possibly structural issues, and there is zero chance an it faces up like an H. Even an ideal cut diamond by PS standard will face up 5 grades higher in color. Jewelry store lighting might disguise these flaws, but in normal every day lighting I‘d wager this diamond looks like a large wad of frozen spit. Run from the jeweler who is telling you this garbage.

ETA: Jewelry store lighting is designed to hide flaws and make even poorly cut, low color, low clarity diamonds appear bright white, sparkly and shiny. The real tell is viewing them under normal, every day lighting. Ask to see the diamonds under various regular lighting condition inside and out (or at lease near a window and away from the jewelry store lighting). In the sun, shade, office lights, bath lights, etc.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi- new to this forum. My husband and I have been looking for a new stone for some time and have been working with 2 Jewelers in NYC.

We came across a GIA certified stone: 7.5 carats, I2 (most inclusions at bottom of stone - not a whole lot visible up top) L color but faces up like a H. Price point is 65k.

For the stone experts out there, does this seem reasonable?

What are your priorities for parameters with your 65k budget?
If it’s spread /carat weight -
That’s a whole other ballgame than if priority is performance/scintillation/fire.

You compared it to another one and it looks similar sparkle to your eye. But are they both on same level in cut? Was the comparison just in jewelry store lighting?

Once you bring in the subject of investment - that’s another different ballgame, too.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a round. They said once it’s been mounted no risk of anything happening to stone. Just needs a skilled mounted.

Wouldn’t the grading have made note if there were any structural issues?

Will they do the mounting and take the loss if damage occurs?
If not - there’s a whole lot of information about the vendor’s reliability and how much you should trust that statement right there.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Is 65k an unreasonable price for this stone? Will it lose value over time?

I’m a bit surprised by all the feedback. I know it wasn’t a highly desirable stone but didn’t think it’d be this bad!

I genuinely wasn’t able to tell the diff in color/sparkle between this and j/k colored stones in a similar size.

laviejenrose

Rough_Rock
Will they do the mounting and take the loss if damage occurs?
If not - there’s a whole lot of information about the vendor’s reliability and how much you should trust that statement right there.

Yes, they’re doing the mounting. They’ve made it clear if anything happens during mounting process, it’s on them.

Once it’s mounted though, there shouldn’t be any risks from a structural standpoint though, right?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Is 65k an unreasonable price for this stone? Will it lose value over time?

I’m a bit surprised by all the

100% you will NEVER be able to get your money out of this stone due to the Clarity and Cut. The clarity on 7.56 ct is effecting its sparkle.

Please try to get your deposit back and the PS community can find you a much better stone for your money.

This is not a round but here's an example of a much prettier stone for 1/2 the money (not that you should buy this stone-this is just an example of stone that is much nicer for less money).

This stone is also not perfect, but just for point of comparison...

And another example:

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not an investment stone. Diamonds are very bad investments unless you're taking about museum quality 1mil+ pieces. There Is 0 chance you'd be able to sell this stone later for 65k. If you saw higher color stones that sparkled like this one, I would assume they were also poorly cut

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a super ideal cut stone, we would recommend these parameters:

Depth no more than 62.2
Table 54-57
Crown angle 34 - 34.9
Pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9

Your stone is not a super ideal cut diamond by any stretch and you may not be in the market for one. However, you can compare these ranges to this diamond to see that the stone you are considering is WAY off the mark. No one could guarantee you that the structural integrity of that diamond will and always will be intact with those inclusions. The diamond was cut for size above all other factors. A poor performing large diamond is just not worth the money and certainly not 65k. Shop around intently before you decide to purchase this stone!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have any data /charts that show “resale value/investment potential”
Of different quality levels of diamonds over the years?
Not retail value over the years - that’s not applicable.

Won’t be exact science
And I bet it’s depressing :lol:

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds are not investments, but I do see some natural diamonds as a decent Store of Value. Unfortunately, the 7.56 ct is not one that will retain much of its value (price you are paying).

Btw, none of us are in the trade with exception of Asccherhalo Lover. We just like to see people get the best diamond for their money.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP
Look thru this thread and focus on the MRB ones, not the antiques.
The facet pattern and how the diamond looks in general - not the color.
Look at their photos and compare to your photo posted here.

May not be an exact representation of what you’ll be losing out on with the cut and clarity of the one you are considering vs one that would be recommended on PS.
That won’t help you on your value for money/investment question
But it may help you on what it is you want to see on your hand.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ve been given excellent advice by folks here that are very knowledgeable about diamonds and have no other motivation other than to provide objective information. What you do with that information is up to you. Hopefully you will listen and learn. Good luck.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For 65k I would choose this:

Or I'd save 30k and buy this plus something else amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results