shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a .90 - 1 carat oval diamond.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for the last six months or so but this is my first post, so go easy on me, lol.

I am a first time diamond buyer looking to buy a .90 - 1 carat loose oval diamond this Friday to set in an engagement band. Because oval diamond cuts aren't graded, I'm finding this a little tricky. This is where you come in (hopefully)!

I am mainly looking at James Allen and Enchanted Diamonds since they have actual pictures/videos of the stones they are selling. Here are the basic guidelines I am following:

Color - H or better
Clarity - SI1 (eye clean of course) or better
Symmetry - Very good or better
Polish - Very good or better
Length to Width Ratio - 1.33 - 1.66 (she prefers the fatter diamonds so probably closer to 1.33 - 1.5)
Girdle - Preferably Very thin - Slightly thick
Culet - Very small - None
Table - 52% - 65% (preferably 55% - 60%)
Depth - 56% - 65% (preferably 59% - 63%)
Crown - 11.5% - 16% (preferably 12% - 15%)

So far these are the stones I am looking at (I doubt they will be available by Friday as James Allen refuses to place a hold any stones for me). How do they look? Any better suggestions?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.96-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-488499

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.96-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-694339

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-1-0-Carat-H-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-4W8SW4

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You do not want a very thin girdle.

Throw out your depth/table/crown. Meaningless. You are trying to quantify ovals like rounds. You can't. It's all faceting and light performance. Sooner you accept that the better.

And you forgot your budget.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need an ASET for the JA stones. They are both in that "can't tell if they suck" range.

I'll see what I can find elsewhere for you. I'm on the fence about the enchanted diamonds choice.

Your budget appears to be 4k-ish.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ignore the vendor's cut score. It's meaningless. What matters is the faceting and the light performance. Focus on images, video and ASET. Ignore the rest.

One I recommend you buy because it's lovely. Even if it means stretching the budget. Again, ignore the cut score. Meaningless.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-91-Carat-E-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-FB5QYF
These are okay choices as well.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-88-Carat-G-Color-VVS2-Clarity-Diamond-DSTMHW
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-9-Carat-G-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-27FGU2
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-93-Carat-E-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-4ZATZT

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

fixall

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your advice Gypsy. :) I can go as high as $4,500 so your first choice may be the winner. I am also looking at your other choices and speaking to a gemologist about the blue florescent stone (do you think the blue in the bottom left would be noticable?).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
fixall|1452156134|3972071 said:
(do you think the blue in the bottom left would be noticable?).

No, I think that's a reflection. Not the fluorescence. Ask though.

Also, remember with ovals to compare SPREAD (dimensions) not carat weight. So if you are deciding between a couple of stones write down their dimensions and know that anything over .2mm in either direction is an eye-visible difference in size.

Ovals of the same or similar weights (and even ratios) can have wildly different spreads!

fixall

Rough_Rock
The person on livechat B2C jewels ordered a gemologist review and then stated

"As this diamond has a medium fluorescence it will most likely have no negative impact on the diamond and will not make the diamond look bluish and hazy."

He also suggested I put in an order for the diamond so no one else buys it while I decide. The gemologist should be getting back to me in the next few hours... With that stone being your second choice... Just how much do you like it, lol? If the gemologist confirms it is not overly blue, I would be saving $1000 on the stone which would allow me to go a little more overboard on the band/side stones.

And thanks for the info about spread of the diamond... I had no idea about that.

Also... Between these two... Which would you suggest?

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-0-9-Carat-G-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-27FGU2

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7902469-0.91-carat-Oval-diamond-F-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

Thanks again for all your help! I spent all this time learning about round stones only to find out she's really feeling the oval stones and have had to start from scratch, lol.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Sorry, last time I'll post tonight, lol. Just how in love are you with your number one choice? If the gemologist gets back to me and says your number two choice isn't overly blue/cloudy would you still go for your number one choice considering the price difference is about $1200? I can swing it if it would be worth it (I know this is relative). I plan on having a custom platinum band with a very small diamond partial halo (two pear shaped diamonds will be next to the center stone which is why it will be a partial halo)... Hard to describe. But any money I save on the center stone (while still making it as high quality as possible) will go a long ways towards making the band the best it can be.

fixall

Rough_Rock
So the gemologist from B2C just got back to me. He stated:

"This diamond is an absolute beauty with no visible inclusions and has excellent luster and brilliance and offers more bang for your buck. The diamond appears to be very slight bluish when exposed to ultra violet light due to the presence of medium fluorescence in the diamond but the fluorescence does not make the diamond appear hazy and has no negative impact on the quality and brilliance of the diamond."

What do ya think??

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fixall|1452199854|3972284 said:
Niel|1452198040|3972275 said:

Aggghhhh, more options, lol! I'm struggling. At the moment I have Gypsy's number two choice being held.

The diamond you linked looks absolutely gorgeous as well. I wish I had more experience eyeballing oval stones and dealing with ASET images. :/

Also if you buy anything from ja keep in mind

http://www.jamesallen.com/referfriend someone can send your email this and save 100

That d is my favorite oval I've been watching it for a while as a friend of mine has a similar budget and is looking for the same shape. He decided to buy a house instead though :boohoo: lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
fixall|1452195811|3972256 said:

"This diamond is an absolute beauty with no visible inclusions and has excellent luster and brilliance and offers more bang for your buck. The diamond appears to be very slight bluish when exposed to ultra violet light due to the presence of medium fluorescence in the diamond but the fluorescence does not make the diamond appear hazy and has no negative impact on the quality and brilliance of the diamond."

What do ya think??

Sounds like you are good to go. I really like that stone. Really nice stone. http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7902411-0.92-carat-Oval-diamond-D-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

I like Neil's choice as well, but I have a feeling you won't be able to get an ASET on it (ask JA), and if that's the case it's a dealbreaker.

If you want a pave halo with pear sides, are you SURE that she likes that look?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1452201403|3972298 said:
fixall|1452195811|3972256 said:

What do ya think??

Sounds like you are good to go. I really like that stone. Really nice stone. http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7902411-0.92-carat-Oval-diamond-D-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

I like Neil's choice as well, but I have a feeling you won't be able to get an ASET on it (ask JA), and if that's the case it's a dealbreaker.

You're correct this is one that will not get asets .

Their return policy is easy peasy, if you decide you want to judge it with your eyes. But if not that's understandable

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452201403|3972298 said:

So I talked to James Allen and they aren't able to give me an ASET image so I'm going to go with the stone we've been talking about (http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7902411-0.92-carat-Oval-diamond-D-color-VS2-clarity.aspx). Thanks Gypsy and Neil!

As far as being sure that my girlfriend would like a pave halo with pear side stones.... No. No, I'm not, lol.

Here's what I know she likes...

1. Oval center stones with pave halos, but she thinks regular halo/oval stone rings are becoming too common.
2. Oval center stone with pear shaped side-stones.
3. Vintage style bands (with possible micro-pave or engraving)
4. Somewhat delicate bands (not thick)

The idea I was thinking is most similar to the third picture you linked, the Tacori (I actually have that same picture in my folder of ideas, lol)... With a bit of a twist. The two pear side-stones would take the place of some of the pave halo. So the pave wouldn't go completely around the stone. Kind of hard to explain so I made a little image in Paint (pretty shoddy, but maybe it will help)

untitled_38.jpg

I'm not at all set on this idea... It's just something I was thinking about because I haven't seen anything like it (although there could be an excellent reason WHY I haven't seen anything like this, lol). I plan on going to Green Lake Jewelry Works in Seattle to talk to the designers/jewlers about the final design. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated though!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a couple great setting ideas I will post later today. One of which I think is perfect for your lady. Stay tuned.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452207069|3972339 said:
I have a couple great setting ideas I will post later today. One of which I think is perfect for your lady. Stay tuned.

Will do! And thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doing the pear halo three stone is going to result in a huge franken-ring. You said her first choice was a halo but that she felt they were getting too common.

You also said that she likes vintage styles.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-bella-halo-setting-lad-signature-collection/

I think this halo is so unique nd lovely it gives her the one of a kind look she wants. If will look fantastic with an oval center of your size. And in platinum will be perfect. You.can.ask to add hand engraving to the shank.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another halo like that. Same vendor. That was the bella, this is the Frankie, either would be great for your oval. http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-frankie-halo-setting/

_23925.jpg
jewelsbyericagrace_bella_halo.jpg
pinklady22.jpg

I think with an oval it would be a complete knock out.

No one will have anything like it.

Here's idea #2:

This setting. Which features larger stones in the halo. But instead of those larger round diamonds on either side of the oval, use pears of the same size angled down toward the shank. It would be elegant. And unique. And gives you the oval with pear sidestones and halo without a Frankenring issue.

thumb-23894.jpg

_35928.jpg

f465deb9d5ae6f33ef2a942a660122ca.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So like this. The key is that the halo stones are large, it's not small micropave halo. That's what makes this look balanced. I would get a quote from David Klass for this design, personally. He will be much more affordable than Greeklake.

_35930.jpg

_35931.jpg

fixall

Rough_Rock
Sorry... My girlfriend came home from work so I haven't been able to post until now, lol. I like the basket of the first setting. I really like that idea with the larger halo stones with the pear shaped stones on the side too. I especially like the look once the wedding band is added. I think I'd really like to go for something like that (we'll have to see how much the larger stones increases the budget. As of now I can probably go as high as another 4k for the band, although I'm wondering if it would be silly to spend more on the band then the main stone?).

I will definitely send a message to David Klass. The only reason I had planned on going with Greenlake is because it's only an hour drive from me and I could go in person. I had heard that they don't charge for the design, just the cost of material... But I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't be charging super high prices for the platinum and sourced stones. Thank you for the referral!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
4k for a halo setting that is high quality in platinum is about normal. David Klass will be below that. And you might even be able afford the matching band from David Klass.
Make sure you specify a 20% halo tilt.
:wavey:

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452235280|3972510 said:
4k for a halo setting that is high quality in platinum is about normal. David Klass will be below that. And you might even be able afford the matching band from David Klass.
Make sure you specify a 20% halo tilt.
:wavey:

Excellent, thank you!

So I have the diamond you selected being held and a stone from James Allen being held (seems they change their tune when you tell them you are deciding between one of their stones and a stone from B2c Jewels) while they get the ASET for me. :) When the ASET comes in I'll post it here for you to take a look at and then I'll be making the wire transfer right away. I'm excited!

I've also sent a nice long email to David Klass about a price quote.

As soon as the ring is finished I'll be sure to post here so you can see the end result of all your help, lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Send David Klass the mock up pictures I posted for you. That will help him a lot in determining proportion.

fixall

Rough_Rock
James Allen needed up to five business days to provide me with an ASET image, so I just went ahead with the diamond from B2C Jewels. I'm very excited to see it in person!

David Klass also got back to me with a quote. $2750 for platinum with a dozen D color, VS round stones... Matching pear side stones, hand etching, and a surprise sapphire and aquamarine set on the inside of the band. So much more reasonable than I was expecting! And after looking at his other work... Just wow! Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you very much for that suggestion and all of your help. I'll stop back by in a month or so and show you the results!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
fixall|1452402716|3973544 said:
James Allen needed up to five business days to provide me with an ASET image, so I just went ahead with the diamond from B2C Jewels. I'm very excited to see it in person!

David Klass also got back to me with a quote. $2750 for platinum with a dozen D color, VS round stones... Matching pear side stones, hand etching, and a surprise sapphire and aquamarine set on the inside of the band. So much more reasonable than I was expecting! And after looking at his other work... Just wow! Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you very much for that suggestion and all of your help. I'll stop back by in a month or so and show you the results!

Can't wait!

Did you tell him about the halo tilt at 20 degrees? And that the pears should be slanted toward the "shank"?

Those are important details. Make sure you tell him.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452408439|3973574 said:
fixall|1452402716|3973544 said:

Can't wait!

Did you tell him about the halo tilt at 20 degrees? And that the pears should be slanted toward the "shank"?

Those are important details. Make sure you tell him.

I did indeed. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's going to be SO lovely! I can't wait. You have to take a lot of pictures for me.

:wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results