shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a .90 - 1 carat oval diamond.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452830873|3976210 said:
Not one. I don't like the bowtie.

I like #2 the best.

The other two are about equal to me without a video.

They should be willing to hold FOR YOU the one they recommend and your top choice while you decide.

They should have offered that so no lurkers can steal.

They actually held their top choice and one other, just not all four. I was just being extra careful. :)

#2 was the stone they thought was the best also (they actually said it was the only stone they liked more than the originally stone I selected). #2 is also 15% more expensive than the original stone and they are offering to price match.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
fixall|1452831556|3976216 said:
Gypsy|1452830873|3976210 said:
Not one. I don't like the bowtie.

I like #2 the best.

The other two are about equal to me without a video.

They should be willing to hold FOR YOU the one they recommend and your top choice while you decide.

They should have offered that so no lurkers can steal.

They actually held their top choice and one other, just not all four. I was just being extra careful. :)

#2 was the stone they thought was the best also (they actually said it was the only stone they liked more than the originally stone I selected). #2 is also 15% more expensive than the original stone and they are offering to price match.

Good, that they are pricematching. Go for #2. Your ring is going to be lovely!

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452834404|3976236 said:
Good, that they are pricematching. Go for #2. Your ring is going to be lovely!

I let them know #2 was the winner.

It's a .90 stone and all the specs seem good. The only negatives I see are the fact that the symmetry is Very Good instead of excellent. The guy from B2C also noted that the girdle is listed as slightly thick - very thick. They are going to have a gemologist double check to ensure I am getting a good stone too.

David Klass also got back to me today with some Illustrator images of the ring design so far. I am LOVING it! Thank you so much for the advice to get a quote from him!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you share the David Klass images? :appl: :appl:

I'm not worried about the girdle at all. My own stone has a very thick girdle.
What's the spread of the stone?

Very good symmetry is fine. Symmetry on a lab report does refer to optical symmetry. It refers to the alightment of the facets in relation to one another. Don't ask me to explain it. Just do a search about it if you want to understand it better. It always gives me a headache.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452841699|3976260 said:
Can you share the David Klass images? :appl: :appl:

I'm not worried about the girdle at all. My own stone has a very thick girdle.
What's the spread of the stone?

Very good symmetry is fine. Symmetry on a lab report does refer to optical symmetry. It refers to the alightment of the facets in relation to one another. Don't ask me to explain it. Just do a search about it if you want to understand it better. It always gives me a headache.

Absolutely! Keep in mind this is just the first preliminary design. :) The ring will be platinum and rose gold. The pear side-stones will be smaller and the halo stones may change in size a bit. The band will also have hand etching on it. On the inside of the band there will be a small aquamarine and blue sapphire (birthstones) inset near the bottom (Corny? Sure... But I like it, lol).

And as I told David.... I'm not known for my artistic ability so I am definitely open to suggestions/advice.

image_4185.jpg

The new center stone is 7.4 x 5.5x 3.5.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh. I see some problems. If you don't mind my saying so. Let me do some edits for you.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452850052|3976270 said:
Ohhh. I see some problems. If you don't mind my saying so. Let me do some edits for you.

Not at all! Any advice/input is very welcome!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's a lot of changes that need to be made. The halo melee are WAY too small. The pears are HUGE and are angled completely incorrectly. That shank is way too broad and is overtaking the ring turning it into a superbowl ring frankly.

Here I'll make some comments on the images and if you agree with them, send it to David.

:cheeky:

What is in that CAD is going to be a Frankenring of epic proportions. Please take my comments to heart. I only have your lady's best interests at heart.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend simplifying the shank and all the scrolling going on. That ring is the size of a tank. And sits up so high it's going to get knocked left and right. ALL the proportions are wrong. Your oval halo should be the star. Everything else an accent. You compeltely forget about the halo in all the noise in that CAD design.

Also with that HUGE ring, she won't be able to wear anything but a bulky custom curved wedding band. And that's not a good thing.

Here's a nice CLEAN profile from a three stone. With a single comfort fit shank. And a gallery that will allow a flush fit STRAIGHT band. You need more of THIS type of streamlining to make that halo and diamond stand out. Instead of the way it is getting lost right now.
BrianGavin_SqHearts2b_070160_0.jpg

image_4185.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Work with these profiles, David can make them two tone or whatever. He can add hand engraving and milgrain. But for the love of Pete, ditch the monster double swirly shank stuff and simplify it into a ring a woman can wear everyday with comfort.

750319side.jpg

_36013.jpg

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452851245|3976272 said:
There's a lot of changes that need to be made. The halo melee are WAY too small. The pears are HUGE and are angled completely incorrectly. That shank is way too broad and is overtaking the ring turning it into a superbowl ring frankly.

Here I'll make some comments on the images and if you agree with them, send it to David.

What is in that CAD is going to be a Frankenring of epic proportions. Please take my comments to heart. I only have your lady's best interests at heart.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend simplifying the shank and all the scrolling going on. That ring is the size of a tank. And sits up so high it's going to get knocked left and right. ALL the proportions are wrong. Your oval halo should be the star. Everything else an accent. You compeltely forget about the halo in all the noise in that CAD design.

Also with that HUGE ring, she won't be able to wear anything but a bulky custom curved wedding band. And that's not a good thing.

Here's a nice CLEAN profile from a three stone. With a single comfort fit shank. And a gallery that will allow a flush fit STRAIGHT band. You need more of THIS type of streamlining to make that halo and diamond stand out. Instead of the way it is getting lost right now.

Thank you very much Gypsy. Please do not worry about hurting my feelings whatsoever. I have Asperger's and am diagnosed OCD. Neither of those help with my "artistic vision". The halo melee being too small and the pear side-stones being to large is something David is well aware of, lol. That was the main thing I pointed out as being off (I sent him the unedited version of the halo ring with side-stones you found so he would have a better idea).

Avoiding a "super bowl ring" is something I would very much like to do, lol. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has used those exact words when describing a ring she didn't like, lol!

She also doesn't like those curved fitted bands. She would much rather have an unfitted straight band she can wear by itself on occasion.

I will have David simplify the band. After looking at some of your other pictures, I agree wholeheartedly.

I wasn't thinking a ton of engraving but maybe just enough to give it a little of a vintage look. I think milgrain is what I was looking for (didn't know the name).

The rose gold isn't necessary, but there were two separate rings my girlfriend fell in love with that had just a little bit of rose gold detailing to go with the platinum/white gold. The biggest issue is she has a nickel allergy so it can't be touching her skin. Maybe I should just leave it out altogether?

I will send David an e-mail right now with your changes as well as some of my thoughts. Thanks again!!

*Edit
Just sent an e-mail to David about the changes as well as the dimensions for the new diamond. I'll post the new pics I get from him as soon as I receive them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fixall|1452852490|3976275 said:
Gypsy|1452851245|3976272 said:

Thank you very much Gypsy. Please do not worry about hurting my feelings whatsoever. I have Asperger's and am diagnosed OCD. Neither of those help with my "artistic vision". The halo melee being too small and the pear side-stones being to large is something David is well aware of, lol. That was the main thing I pointed out as being off (I sent him the unedited version of the halo ring with side-stones you found so he would have a better idea).

Avoiding a "super bowl ring" is something I would very much like to do, lol. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has used those exact words when describing a ring she didn't like, lol!

She also doesn't like those curved fitted bands. She would much rather have an unfitted straight band she can wear by itself on occasion.

I will have David simplify the band. After looking at some of your other pictures, I agree wholeheartedly.

I wasn't thinking a ton of engraving but maybe just enough to give it a little of a vintage look. I think milgrain is what I was looking for (didn't know the name).

The rose gold isn't necessary, but there were two separate rings my girlfriend fell in love with that had just a little bit of rose gold detailing to go with the platinum/white gold. The biggest issue is she has a nickel allergy so it can't be touching her skin. Maybe I should just leave it out altogether?

I will send David an e-mail right now with your changes as well as some of my thoughts. Thanks again!!

*Edit
Just sent an e-mail to David about the changes as well as the dimensions for the new diamond. I'll post the new pics I get from him as soon as I receive them.

From my understanding nickel is in white gold not rose, so I don't think it should be a problem. With it touching her skin.

I won't bombard you with suggestions on alterations until I see the next set of cads.

Eta: I imagine it would be successful, with smaller pears and less frills, as gypsy suggested, and I feel like this is more a look I'd be going for, but with pears.

tumblr_mf3ocdoarr1rvqm6lo1_1280.jpg

fixall

Rough_Rock
Niel|1452861131|3976283 said:
From my understanding nickel is in white gold not rose, so I don't think it should be a problem. With it touching her skin.

I won't bombard you with suggestions on alterations until I see the next set of cads.

I should have researched that a bit more, lol. Thank you. I had looked into white gold before I decided on platinum and noticed it had nickel in it and just figured rose gold did too for some reason. :doh:

I'll get the new CAD images up as soon as I get them. :)

That photo is basically the exact dimensions I am going for (with regards to the halo melee and sidestones). The pictures of the ring on page one that looks like the ring you posted (it may be the same ring) is what I had sent David.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fixall|1452861837|3976293 said:
Niel|1452861131|3976283 said:

I should have researched that a bit more, lol. Thank you. I had looked into white gold before I decided on platinum and noticed it had nickel in it and just figured rose gold did too for some reason. :doh:

I'll get the new CAD images up as soon as I get them. :)

That photo is basically the exact dimensions I am going for (with regards to the halo melee and sidestones). The pictures of the ring on page one that looks like the ring you posted (it may be the same ring) is what I had sent David.

Yeah I think the photos on page one are a ring that copied this ring. It's a very popular Pinterest ring and I think it's a replica from a very popular etsy simulant vendor on the front page of your thread.

The pears in my opinion need to be very squat and small. If its based on this design

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a process. Let's get the next round. And we'll do this together. We'll make sure that before it hits production we get it perfect. Just make sure you tell David, that without a "It's absolutely 100% ready to hit production" from you, he does not move to production on that ring.

Oh, and I agree with Neil on the small and squat pears, and well... everything else. :wavey:

fixall

Rough_Rock
David got back to me today (I was a bit worried I had annoyed him with all the changes in the last e-mail, lol). :) He hasn't updated the design just yet as he's hunting for a set of pear side-stones that are the right size/shape/color/clarity. Once he has the pear side-stones, he'll change the size of the melee stones in the design and angle the side-stones down more. He also said that the halo is tilted at 20 degrees already....

David thinks this gallery would be the best option in his opinion as it's more open than the third gallery and the first gallery would make it difficult for a straight band to fit flush.
shot_2.jpg

He also asked if I would still like the curls under the pears so they flow into the shank or if I would like to simplify it with a straight shank and then add a little rose gold to the gallery. I'm guessing option number two would be best if I want a ring that is a bit elegant?

Lastly... I just got confirmation from B2C that they sent the diamond out with one day shipping tonight and I can expect it tomorrow morning. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Option 2 is best. And yes, that profile view, with a little rose gold added in for interest is a great idea.

Regarding nickel allergies. Have David either use platinum (which really is best) or an alloy that does not have nickel. And make sure you specify that.

That said, I would go with the platinum.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453180576|3977798 said:
Option 2 is best. And yes, that profile view, with a little rose gold added in for interest is a great idea.

Regarding nickel allergies. Have David either use platinum (which really is best) or an alloy that does not have nickel. And make sure you specify that.

That said, I would go with the platinum.

Definitely going with platinum. :) The nickel worry was just in regards of the rose gold in the gallery (this was before I knew rose gold didn't contain nickel).

The diamond from B2C came in today. It looks wonderful (not that my untrained eye would really know better). :) So that's exciting!

Also James Allen finally got back to me with the ASET image of the second diamond I posted back on the first page (this one http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.96-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-694339). It will be back on the market as of midnight tonight. I figured since the ASET isn't available on the James Allen website, I would post it here and if it ends up being decent maybe someone else can use it.

sku694339.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy you like the diamond. It does matter. And a halo it's going to look great.

Please post revised CADs when you have them. This is my favorite project right now!

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453257822|3978325 said:
I'm so happy you like the diamond. It does matter. And a halo it's going to look great.

Please post revised CADs when you have them. This is my favorite project right now!

Absolutely! I plan on posting the images here and getting feedback before I even send my reply to David, lol. I can't thank you and Niel enough for the time and expertise you've put towards helping me with my engagement.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure I can speak for gypsy and say were more than happy to help ::)

I'm excited you like the oval. I can't imagine giving her a ring if you didn't feel confident about it, so that's awesome that you like it. I'm sure she'll be over the moon.

And yes I'm eagerly awaiting your cads myself. I've had a few of rings made by him, two for myself, and one I had quite a hand in helping with. I know, if you put the time during the cad process, the results are really quite remarkable.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
You have fantastic help here, I have been meaning to post these images as an alternative to consider.

_36158.jpg

_36159.jpg

_36160.jpg

_36161.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1453259829|3978352 said:
I'm sure I can speak for gypsy and say were more than happy to help ::)

I'm excited you like the oval. I can't imagine giving her a ring if you didn't feel confident about it, so that's awesome that you like it. I'm sure she'll be over the moon.

Neil definitely speaks for me here.

It's been very fun for me. I love seeing people get a great deal on something beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1453523548|3980089 said:
You have fantastic help here, I have been meaning to post these images as an alternative to consider.
Well shoot, that's great!

fixall

Rough_Rock
Just a small update today. Had a small delay while David searched for a couple small, colorless pear stones. He just got back to me today and said he found a couple .20 carat stones he really likes and will have the updated CADs for me on Monday. :) I'll be sure to post them as soon as I receive them!

Thanks for posting those images Fancygems! Those photos are the first I've seen with pear side-stones incorporated into the halo like I pictured. :D I'm going to send those to David right now if that's ok?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fixall|1453597604|3980504 said:
Just a small update today. Had a small delay while David searched for a couple small, colorless pear stones. He just got back to me today and said he found a couple .20 carat stones he really likes and will have the updated CADs for me on Monday. :) I'll be sure to post them as soon as I receive them!

Thanks for posting those images Fancygems! Those photos are the first I've seen with pear side-stones incorporated into the halo like I pictured. :D I'm going to send those to David right now if that's ok?

Yea send them off if you like them :)

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Your so very welcome! I am happy I took the time to look and post them since I was unsure because I saw you had Cads in the making. :appl:

fixall

Rough_Rock
Update time!

David got back to me with an updated CAD. The ring still isn't quite right though.
30805.jpg

David used a smaller set of .20 carat (down from .43 I believe) pear side-stones, but I'm thinking they're maybe still a touch too big? He also increased the size of the round stones for the halo. With this change, ten round stones fit instead of twelve.

I like the look of the 12 round stones in the photo on the left a bit more than I like the 10 round stone look on the right... But maybe that's just a sacrifice I should make to get the proportions right since the oval center stone I bought is quite a bit smaller than in these rings?
tumblr_mf3ocdoarr1rvqm6lo1_1280_0.jpg _36158_0.jpg

David slimmed down the design of the shank but left the rose gold elements in. I can't decide how I feel about it. On one hand I like the look of the two tone shank in these photos:
pzale1-17780116t800.jpg pzale1-17780116_alternate1_t800.jpg

But on the other hand... I DO NOT want this ring to end up too bulky and neither will my girlfriend. His other idea was to simplify the shank further and leave rose gold solely in the gallery. Do you think that would be the better option... Or maybe just have him completely redo the gallery/profile so it matches this more?
shot_2.jpg

Lastly... The halo has a 20 degree tilt and he angled the side-stones down a bit more. Also keep in mind there will be a little hand etching and/or millgrain on the ring that's not in the CAD.

Thoughts...? Feedback...?

Thank you so much everyone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would remove all rose gold design from the shank. Simplifying the shank to just a straight band. Leave rosegold in profile.

Either the pears need to be smaller or the halo melee need to go up. Proportions are off there. Halo angle is great.

Biggest issue I see is the profile doesn't look like it will accommodate a fkush fit straight band yet. So yes complete redo on profile to allow the band.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the rose gold in the shank is a good idea. That's out.
Ender the halo would be fine if she still wants a rose gold element IN the halo. But consider just a very basic undergallery like the one from greenlake. Like gypsy said, it'll accommodate a plain band, and it'll give a very clean look.

You can always buy her a twisty or hammered rose gold band to wear between her e ring and wedding band if she wants a bit of rose gold. A very popular, changeable, and easy way to incorporate rose gold without forcing it into the design somewhere. (And on etsy they can be very cheap)

fixall

Rough_Rock
Alright... So I'm going to have David take the rose gold out of the shank to further streamline it. I would like to keep a little rose gold in the gallery (several of the rings my girlfriend really liked had rose gold incorporated into the gallery), but I don't want the prongs holding the center stone to be rose gold because I feel it takes away from the colorlessness of the center stone. In that scenario, is my best bet going to be to just completely remove the rose gold?

I'm also going to ask David to make the side-stones a bit smaller because I think that may look better than increasing the size of the halo melee. Thoughts?

I had also told David that the straight band fitting flush wasn't important. I was wrong. My girlfriend DOESN'T like the curved wedding bands that fit flush. But she DOES like the straight wedding bands that fit flush. I'll have David redesign the gallery to allow a flush straight band.

I think I like the side profile/gallery of the ring on the left more than the profile/gallery of the Greenlake ring on the right... But now I'm even starting to question that. :wall:

shot_2.jpg _36159_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results