shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a .90 - 1 carat oval diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the one on the left. Have David add some rose gold squiggly things in the baskets and you will be set.

We'll get you there.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453866325|3982161 said:
I like the one on the left. Have David add some rose gold squiggly things in the baskets and you will be set.

We'll get you there.

Thank you. :D

Also... In the CAD image it looks like the halo has a bezel around it. The other halo rings posted in this thread seem to have prongs instead of the bezel (which I think looks better). Am I seeing it correctly or is it just the way the CAD image looks? And one last question for the night, lol... I'm having David get an even smaller set of pear side-stones. Even with the smaller side-stones, should I have David increase the side of the round stones or do you think they're good?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won't know about the side stones till the next CAD with the new ones in there. Can you ask David what size the melee in the halo is now? That would help.

None of the stones are bezel set. That's all good. It's just the CAD.

fixall

Rough_Rock
New update from David! :D

The pear side-stones have been swapped out for pair of .15 carat stones. The rounds are 1.9mm each. I like the small amount of rose gold as we can add some more to the wedding band if she decides she wants to and it will match nicely.

I want there to be a small amount of millgrain (she LOVES it) and/or hand engraving... But not too much. Just enough to give it a somewhat vintage look. Any ideas on that would be absolutely wonderful.

There will also be a very small sapphire and aquamarine inset in the bottom of the band (where the bottom of her finger would be touching the ring). Do you think this will cause discomfort or a significant weakening of the band?

new_1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking great. I like the rose gold squiggles. And the size of the pears is perfect.

So the halo diamonds are 3 pointers? (Check with him). After the ring is cast, they can apply milgrain to the shank and hand engraving. I would also ask him about that and where he recommends adding it. But to be clear: you do not want cast milgrain. It is a finish detail added afterward. So you have time to decide that.

Ask him to comfort fit, round the bottom of the shank a bit of the ring instead of it being square all around.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454140253|3984006 said:
Looking great. I like the rose gold squiggles. And the size of the pears is perfect.

So the halo diamonds are 3 pointers? (Check with him). After the ring is cast, they can apply milgrain to the shank and hand engraving. I would also ask him about that and where he recommends adding it. But to be clear: you do not want cast milgrain. It is a finish detail added afterward. So you have time to decide that.

Ask him to comfort fit, round the bottom of the shank a bit of the ring instead of it being square all around.

I asked David about the halo diamonds and I'll let you know what he says. I'll talk to him about the milgrain and hand engraving after we finalize the ring design. He's aware I'm not interested in cast milgrain. :)

I also just had another thought against the sapphire and aquamarine inset in the band... My girlfriend has talked about wanting to pass her ring down, and it sounds like it would make that more complex. I think I am looking for reasons to not do it... lol. Maybe subconsciously I think it's to "teenagerish" or corny.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It won't weaken it. They will likely be gypsy set in there.

As for doing it or not. It's a personal preference. I can't really help you there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those your birthstones?

In terms of passing down, I wouldnt worry. People like rings passed down becuase of the history behind them. (Plus the free jewelry) so no I don't think say, a daughter of yours, would me mad it had her mom and dads birthstone.

However, they get gunk in them, and an aquamarine isnt the best stone for everyday. Which makes me thing, she wants to pass it down....will it manage to hold up for 50 years? Kwim?

If you want to personalize it, he's always willing to engrave something nice on the inside.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo is looking nice. Did he confirm how he will set it? It doesn't look like bright set, which I know you didn't want...but I'd just ask.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Those are indeed our birthstones... With aquamarine (my birthstone) being sensitive to chemicals and stuff, I wonder if swapping it with bloodstone would be a better way to go. Another option would be to save it for the wedding band and have inset gems in both our rings.

I'm not sure how he was planning on setting the gems. I asked in the last email, so we'll see what he says. :) I did some Googling... I had no idea there were SO many ways to set stones in a ring. Jewelry is so much more complex than I ever could have imagined.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think inscribing something beautiful on the inside is a more practical step than putting stones in the shank.

I wonder, is the gallery frilly /vintage enough for her. You talk like she likes a lot of detail with vintage elements, I'm not sure if I see that in the gallery

fixall

Rough_Rock
Niel|1454205623|3984401 said:
I really think inscribing something beautiful on the inside is a more practical step than putting stones in the shank.

I wonder, is the gallery frilly /vintage enough for her. You talk like she likes a lot of detail with vintage elements, I'm not sure if I see that in the gallery

Yea... i'll have to think on the inset stones for a bit. Since they don't have to be part of the casting process, I should have plenty of time. I do like the thought of an inscription. We've been together nearly nine years so I should have plenty of memories to work with, lol.

I get what you're saying about the gallery. I'm unsure how to give the design more of a vintage look without raising the height or giving it a blocky look though.

It's hard to get a real handle on the style of rings my girlfriend likes. When she was showing me examples of rings she liked they varied in style a GREAT deal (something the jeweller we were talking to pointed out). Some of the rings were vintage looking. Some were very simple and elegant. Some were completely "blinged out."

When we started breaking down just what she liked about the different rings this is what I got:

She liked the milgrain and etching on the vintage rings but disliked the old cut stones (she especially likes milgrain).
She liked the halos on the blinged out rings (especially the ones with colorless diamonds) but disliked the stones going nearly all the way around the band.
She liked the simple lines of the more elegant rings but disliked solitaires.
She liked the contrast a little rose gold gave to a white metal ring.
Her dream ring had an oval center stone and pear side-stones like the ring she inherited from her mother.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe swap out the gallery with petals? Just rose gold petals?maybe millgrained, maybe not.

dd0db0d5718bc4a437abd0096ab8190b.jpg

fixall

Rough_Rock
Niel|1454209418|3984419 said:
Maybe swap out the gallery with petals? Just rose gold petals?maybe millgrained, maybe not.

It's funny that you linked a ring with the petal basket design. When we were first looking at rings one of the things she pointed out that she didn't like was the rings with a profile that looked like a basket was holding the diamond (we were looking at a ring with a very similar petal design at the time, lol). She had pointed out several that had a flatter looking profile.

On a side note... About an hour ago she was on Pinterest and she called me over to say "isn't the heart in this the sweetest thing!?" She didn't like the prongs however.

sapphiremb_side2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to disagree. Maybe add milgrian to the wires of the profile. But I think the profile is perfect as is.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Update. :)

David says the halo stones are indeed 3pts each. I'm thinking they look pretty damn good, but he said he also has a very nice set of 5pt stones he could use if you think that would be a better idea?

He had planned on setting them with a double shared prong (no idea if that would be the best route).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1454216423|3984472 said:
I am going to disagree. Maybe add milgrian to the wires of the profile. But I think the profile is perfect as is.

I just think they are minimalistic and modern. That doesn't sound like her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can we see the CAD with the 5 point stones to compare?

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454367285|3985329 said:
Can we see the CAD with the 5 point stones to compare?

Just asked David, I'll get back to you. :)

fixall

Rough_Rock
David just got back to me. He wasn't able to get 5pt stones to fit correctly so he made up a CAD using 6pt stones for the halo. It feels good to be so close to a finalized design. :D

Here are the two CADs to compare:

With 6pt halo stones
newest.jpg

With 3pt halo stones
new_1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 3 pointers.

I think the 6 pointers overtake the center.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454449953|3985804 said:
I like the 3 pointers.

I think the 6 pointers overtake the center.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

Looks like we're ready for casting! Yay!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for 3

fixall

Rough_Rock
Alright... Very last CAD image before casting! Please let me know if anything stands out that really needs to change (I think the only adjustments he made were adding the comfort fit band and the prongs on the halo). :)

new_newest.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful. Truly.

I can't wait to see this complete.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any update?

fixall

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1457076041|3999535 said:
Any update?

Must have missed this post somehow, sorry!

I just got an update from David today (haven't been in a rush since I won't be proposing until September). The casting has just been completed (as well as the rose filigree which was done by hand). :D

Next up is a polishing and then about another week to set the stones... And then the hand engraving and DONE. :dance:

Here are some pics of the rough casting!

platcast.jpg

platcast1.jpg

platcast2.jpg

platcast3.jpg

platcast4.jpg

platcast5.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportions are looking great!

I still suggest have him show you the stone set sans engraving and see how it looks. Then decide if it needs engraving.

fixall

Rough_Rock
Niel|1458041080|4005514 said:

I still suggest have him show you the stone set sans engraving and see how it looks. Then decide if it needs engraving.

Definitely! I want the ring to look "right" and not have engraving just to have it (if that makes sense).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fixall|1458041245|4005515 said:
Niel|1458041080|4005514 said:

Definitely! I want the ring to look "right" and not have engraving just to have it (if that makes sense).

Absolutely. That's all I'm saying too. Don't forget also, you can always buy her an engraved band for a (or one of) her wedding bands

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results