carat
color
clarity

Help arcticcatmatt buy a 1 carat princess cut

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1371591421|3468283 said:
arcticcatmatt|1371569997|3468053 said:
She ruled a bezel out she said that looks way to futuristic lol.

I just talked to JA. They have NOT ordered idealscopes because I had 4 diamonds on hold grr. I guess thats what happens when your rep goes on vacation and the replacement rep doesn't call you back :(.

So I just told them to take the most expensive 1 carat off.. which was around $5,400 and keep this .9 on there. The rep I just talked to said this .9 is perfect and I can't go wrong.. I should just order that now.

They told me they can make that ring in 6 prongs but the wedding band won't sit flush with the ring.. I told him I would have them solder them together (loryns mom did that and loryn liked the idea). He said they could do that after we get married but there will be a little gap between the ring. What do you all think about that?

The rep told me 6 prongs can make a small diamond look smaller.. but size I am probably buying .9 it should look great. They also offered double claw prongs. All these options :o they did say the double claw is a unique look and cost $150 extra.

Funny, I find 6 prongs make any round diamond over .75ct look bigger.

Regarding the ring soldering and there still being a gap- I have a few friends who have their rings soldered. Most have the sets where there are no gaps between the rings. A couple of friends have gaps and over the years complained about how much GUNK gets caught between the soldered rings and how hard it is to get it out. And if you think about how many products women use (lotion, make up, soap, etc) that's a lot of gunk stuck between two rings. Just something to consider if there will be a small gap.

Agreed re 6 prongs. Plus it's very secure.

Also- the double prong look is very elegant (though more expensive in this case). It might help give the round stone a slightly more "squarish" look which might make for a nice compromise for you since you went round instead of princess. Plus- you'd have 8 prongs holding the stone in. And it would suit the setting you guys have chosen pretty well giving a little more old fashioned look, I think.

Like this:

doubleprong.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that 40.2 PA GIA VG one is out, don't get it. I don't understand why you think that it will look good?

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
^I, and they, thought it would look good because the HCA came back so good. I've pretty much decided on this .9.. its numbers are super, idealscope is great, no visible inclusions.. and 4240+950 = 5190+750 (wedding band) = $5,940 for the set. Should be a heck of a ring and will give it that 1 carat look I was looking for. I don't ever want to look at a ring again and think I was cheap and regret the purchase.

I was concerned that a 6 prong would hide the light and make the diamond appear dull and since the cut of this diamond is idea and within all specs and a 1.1 on the HCA.. I feel thats what makes this diamond 'special'. I'd hate to block off light.. but looking at this thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/6-prong-pics.115131/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/6-prong-pics.115131/[/URL]
They look beautiful and no light is lost. James Allen told me that I can do 6 prong, no extra charge, and if she doesn't like it they will change it back to 4 for free.

No double claw prongs for me.. They look like wires http://cdn2.jamesallen.com/Sets/Jewelry/17128/set17128W_RND_Stg_480X380.jpg

I am going to call and order the .9c in 6 prong setting size 5.5 or 5.75. We leave in 11 days.. I gotta get this done. Hope I made a good choice! She was the easy choice, the ring is the hard one :bigsmile:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1371645234|3468564 said:
^I, and they, thought it would look good because the HCA came back so good. I've pretty much decided on this .9.. its numbers are super, idealscope is great, no visible inclusions.. and 4240+950 = 5190+750 (wedding band) = $5,940 for the set. Should be a heck of a ring and will give it that 1 carat look I was looking for. I don't ever want to look at a ring again and think I was cheap and regret the purchase.

I was concerned that a 6 prong would hide the light and make the diamond appear dull and since the cut of this diamond is idea and within all specs and a 1.1 on the HCA.. I feel thats what makes this diamond 'special'. I'd hate to block off light.. but looking at this thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/6-prong-pics.115131/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/6-prong-pics.115131/[/URL]
They look beautiful and no light is lost. James Allen told me that I can do 6 prong, no extra charge, and if she doesn't like it they will change it back to 4 for free.

No double claw prongs for me.. They look like wires http://cdn2.jamesallen.com/Sets/Jewelry/17128/set17128W_RND_Stg_480X380.jpg

I am going to call and order the .9c in 6 prong setting size 5.5 or 5.75. We leave in 11 days.. I gotta get this done. Hope I made a good choice! She was the easy choice, the ring is the hard one :bigsmile:

I'm sure it will look gorgeous! PLEASE post pictures when you get it! :bigsmile:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1371645234|3468564 said:

I would agree with you if that's the way their double prongs look. (They don't have to, but those do.) It could also be because it's a CAD and not a real ring photo but it just looks like they've taken a regular prong and split it in half making 2 very thin ones....

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
I am a little annoyed.. JA reps told me they would start making my ring as soon as I ordered so I could get it in time. Now they are telling me I have to ship my old ring back first before they start working on my new ring.. that scares me as it puts the deadline in serious jeopardy.

My rings are at home. I am at work. I can't ship till tomorrow. They won't see the rings till Friday grr. I need these rings by next thurs. The other reps said they would make my ring now and credit me when my rings show up.. I guess thats not an option now for some reason.

I asked for 6 prong and asked that the tips be made smaller if possible. I asked all the ladies at work and looked at rings and everyone said 6 prong.. especially with my woman thats always active.

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Manager Tammy just called me and said they pulled strings.. They are starting production on the ring now and will charge me after they receive my rings Thursday.. Great. Now they say they can have them delivered by Thursday next week.. perfect! Little did she know I was thinking and worrying about this non stop on our hike last night!!

img_20130618_162810_507.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, where were you hiking? Gorgeous scenery.

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
^ That is treman park.. Ithaca NY. I took more pictures but won't fill the forum with them :)
http://nysparks.com/parks/135

https://www.google.com/search?q=treman+park+ithaca+ny&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=IObCUafUH8e0qgGA2ICQCQ&biw=1376&bih=682&sei=S-bCUf2BOtOVqwHW8ICIBA

Almost got caught last night. My sister called and was being very loud about talking about this.. then Loryn grabbed my phone for something and pricescope was on it but she has no idea what it is and I grabbed the phone .000001 of a second as it came up. Then at night I was looking for 20 mins for the james allen gia sheet and stuff to mail back in today with the old rings... I had to tell her I was looking for a gun part for a friend to borrow so she would walk away.. sheesh..

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
All reservations have been made. I even booked a cabin on the island of monhegan. I plan on proposing there. I am going to hand her my camera at the end of a hiking trail and 100ft beautiful cliffs out in the ocean and have her do a 360 panaramic video.. when she is facing away from me I will kneel down.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=monhegan+island&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Monhegan,+Lincoln,+Maine&gl=us&t=m&z=14

I made reservations to camp 1 night in Portland ME, then take a boat out to this island and stay at the hitchcock house cabin for 1 night, then go back to Port Cylde via boat and head up to camp on the same island as Acadia for 3 days. Acadia is my backup plan. If the weather is horrible and I can't do the island cliffs.. I will do it at Acadia.

On the way home we plan on visting her family at their cottage on the 1000 islands in NY for a 4th of July party.. she doesn't know that she will have a heck of a ring to show off and news to brag about!

We are meeting my friend Duane in Sayre PA thursday night for chicken wings, never done that. When she is in the bathroom he is going to give me the ring thats coming in the mail and I am going to run it out to my car.

Moderators- feel free to move this thread out of rocky talky and into proposal ideas if you want

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you found a great diamond! The setting is very pretty, as well! I didn't help on this thread because I usually don't help so much with princess cuts, but I see you changed to a round, which I do think goes much better with the setting!

Proposal idea sounds great! So happy that you have found Loryn!!! :appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late tuning in to your thread. Please post the pictures after you propose. I lOVE your setting and ...........your .9 in 6 prongs is going to look fabulous! What ring size did you decide? I'm keeping my fingers crossed it fits perfectly!

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys/girls! I am hoping it looks beautiful and big and sparkles like it should given its 1.1 HCA and ideal cut! Cut is king! Should reflect light like a mirror!

The guy at the store said she was a 5.5 but he had to really ram it on over her knuckle and almost had to get her hand wet to remove it.. so I went with 5.75.. I didnt' order the wedding band yet. Waiting to see if the engagement ring fits her first and let her pick out a band. I am guessing she will pick the matching band.

I am getting nervous. Everything has to fall into place for this to work. The ring is supposed to be done and shipped today, Duane is supposed to receive it in Sayre PA, we are supposed to meet him tommorrow night (First time for Loryn) for wings and I will get the ring from him.. Sunday she thinks she might be mandated (forced overtime) at work.. we are camping in portland ME (8 hrs away) Monday night, then Monhegan Island via boat Tuesday night. I am going to get a bottle of champagne and carry it with me out to where I want to propose :)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Late reply but I wanted to tell you that I love the ring you chose and I am sure Loryn will love it too! :appl:

Have a great vacation and a wonderful proposal!!

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1372168750|3471997 said:
I am so glad you found a great diamond! The setting is very pretty, as well! I didn't help on this thread because I usually don't help so much with princess cuts, but I see you changed to a round, which I do think goes much better with the setting!

Proposal idea sounds great! So happy that you have found Loryn!!! :appl:

Don't undersell yourself. You're very helpful with princess cuts as well as RB, AVR, Cushion, and everything else :D

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the well wishes and compliment!

YAHOO!!! drove 1 hr in the rain to get to Sayre PA to meet friends for wings. My buddy gave me his key fob and said passenger seat when loryn wasn't looking. I told her I forgot my phone in my car. I went out to get it, beeped his car, got ring, put in my car. SMOOTH!

Now I have the ring!! Sorry I am at work, pictures are not the best. My coworkers are in shock. They said "My wifes ring doesn't sparkle like that at all and is not nearly as big.. that made my day.. The woman here said they would all trade their rings for this LOL!
ringc_0.jpg
_7608.jpg
ringa_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks just beautiful she will love it! I'm glad you don't feel as self conscious about the size like your last purchase.

Also glad they could get you the 6 prongs!

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful! Keep us updated on the proposal!

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
my buddy took 2 more better ones with his phone

ringe.jpg

ringd.jpg

ringf.jpg

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Just came across your threads, Matt. I am so happy for you that you and Loryn got together. Things (prior relationship) always happen for a reason, and this new relationship is the reason!

Your ring is beautiful, and it is wonderful how much effort you put into getting the perfect ring. I am guessing that you will be back from your trip soon. Can't wait to hear how it went!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Those photos make the diamond look very sizable. I love the stone in that setting, I've not seen this one before. Looking forward to the next installment of Arcticcatmatt getting engaged!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! I really love that setting!

delight

Shiny_Rock
Nice ring you have there! Good luck with the proposal

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies and thinking about me! Everything worked out! We are engaged :)
I am at work and can't take time (we just got back this weekend) but I will tell the whole story tonight and a special picture that I won't share anywhere else but here. I didn't get a video like I though because I was nervous and caught up in the moment, instead I had the cam in picture mode and when she went to shut off the 'video', she took a picture by accident.. the picture is of me proposing. This one is on my cell phone. I have much better pictures at home on my regular camera. Please check back later for those and the story :) She LOVES the ring!! More on that later too

proposal1.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Yay! ANd it looks great on her! Congrats!

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Aww. You two look great. And that diamond really stands out on her hand - white and bright and big! Can't wait to hear all the details.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond looks huge on her!! She must have been blown away!

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I think it looks great on her finger too! She was even stopped by a woman on the trail that said "Holy smokes look at that beauty!! Great ring!!" .. that happened in Acadia and made my day!

I am going to break this up because I just spent 45 mins typing it up and it crashed while uploading a photo and I lost it all. I won't do the entire 6 day trip, just the moments before and after the proposal.

We headed out and drove 8 hrs to Portland. We hit up Cabelas for gun and hunting stuff then hit up a brewery/restaurant and stayed in a hotel I had a reservation for. We drove 8 hrs in the rain grrr. We bought some hand made gifts (not made in china!) gifts in portland (expensive little town!) and headed back to the hotel. We got up early and headed north 2 - 2.5 hrs to Port Clyde. We arrived to lots of lobster fishing about an hr early!
103_7175.jpg
I asked loryn to put my 90 dollar bottle of champaine in her backpack so we could drink it at a cliff. She got mad at the bottles size so we brought some wine from home LOL! She had no idea why I had brought that champain.
Headed out on our 10 mile journey!
103_7186.jpg
We hit some big swells and I started feeling sick so I laid on a bench and took it easy. We arrived at the island 1 hr later and asked around town where to find barbara and the hitchcock house.. we found her and she pointed us in the right direction. The house was up on a hill and even had our names on it.
103_7201.jpg
To be continued in a moment....

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
I tell her that I am very anxious to get to the cliffs!! She is excited and says lets go then! Pack the wine, opener, and some glasses in your hiking backpack! She goes to the bathroom and I hurry up and get the ring out of my hiking boot and put it in my sweatshirt front pocket. I guard it with my hands so she can't see it. We venture out!!
103_7206.jpg
A picture doesn't do this justice but after a bit we hit pure water and mud. We do not have waterproof knee high boots. She says lets turn around and hike a different part of the island and find a different way.. I say no way and trudge thru it, it takes her a bit but she followed! LOL

We hear water smashing in the distance. We come out of the woods to this

We are both in aww. Very cool! My goal was to find a high up spot I found on google images and I knew we were close due to my trail planning! Too bad it was foggy and you couldn't see very far. Didn't matter, this mission was a go!

To be continued in a second..

103_7206.jpg

103_7208.jpg

103_7209.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results