shape
carat
color
clarity

Help arcticcatmatt buy a 1 carat princess cut

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Well here I am.. Never thought I would be back on this forum buying an Ering (when I got divorced I told myself I'd never get married again and have trust issues). But then it happened. A girl I've had my eye on for many years (since high school perhaps) came into my life and is the best thing that ever happened to me.

This time.. I am doing it because I want to. Not because I was pushed into it. When you know you know and we know we have found the one.

Introducing Loryn and I (picture attached). We have been together as a couple 11? months now and lived together 7. She moved 4 hrs across the state to live with me and transferred her job. We both have the same goals and everything.

I want her to be mine forever and I know she feels the same way. So funny how things work out.. I have admired her for years and always thought we would be an ideal match. We hunt, kayak, archery, guns, fish, motorcycle, drive stick, ski, you name it... we are into it and do it and will do them all alone if the other isn't around. I took her to look at Erings last week to figure out what she liked. She likes a plain style flat thinner band. I am getting platinum. She also likes a princess diamond. She liked round too but it seems that she liked princess more. She said "I like the older more traditional look of a simple band and square diamond"

So.. Here is the deal. We are going on a 1 week long adventure trip starting at the end of the month. I need to build a ring. I am looking at 1 carat size, GIA, Color at least a G since its going in platnium, ideal cut, eye clean, princess .. and its coming from James Allen.com. I don't know how to pick a princess. Years back, you all helped me pick a round and I learned alot! I remember the calculator where I punched in the numbers to check its cut. Is there one for a princess cut diamond too?

Any help you offer I would appreciate!! I have to pick a rock and band asap.

Something like this
http://cdn1.jamesallen.com//finished_photos/500x375/10871.jpg

_7015.jpg

myohmy

Rough_Rock
Hi arcticcatmatt,
I'm moved by your story and happy you have found your match!
While I'm no expert here, I think you want to look for a AGS certified 0(ideal) in cut for princess, or vendors that can provide aset and ideascope images so you can gauge light performance of the stone.

I got a ~1ct/H/VS2 WF ACA princess and can't wait to receive it tomorrow! :bigsmile:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!

The all important, what is your budget?

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies! Its looking like 4-5000 for the stone itself. It has to come from James Allen.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arcticcatmatt|1370885360|3462739 said:
Thanks for the replies! Its looking like 4-5000 for the stone itself. It has to come from James Allen.

Oh awesome so they'll take the previous stone in tade?

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
^ Yes since I am doing a big upgrade.. it also appears my stuff has gone up alot in price in the past 4 yrs. I'm still going to be losing money however grr. Still working a deal with JA.. need to pick a stone :tongue:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I cringe when I think "active lifestyle" and those fragile princess corners. Maybe she should consider either full bezel or partial bezel or else something like a cushion or radiant that doesn't have those thin little pointy corners. I suppose a V-prong head would be okay,too. Princess cuts are not my style, but the fragile corners issue is one thing that made me cross them off my list a long time ago.

There are cut-corner princess stones out there. I'm not certain that JA carries them, though.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1370889328|3462774 said:
^ Yes since I am doing a big upgrade.. it also appears my stuff has gone up alot in price in the past 4 yrs. I'm still going to be losing money however grr. Still working a deal with JA.. need to pick a stone :tongue:

Are you going to use your old stone as the trade in at JA then? That would probably help your budget the most!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1370891467|3462801 said:
I cringe when I think "active lifestyle" and those fragile princess corners. Maybe she should consider either full bezel or partial bezel or else something like a cushion or radiant that doesn't have those thin little pointy corners. I suppose a V-prong head would be okay,too. Princess cuts are not my style, but the fragile corners issue is one thing that made me cross them off my list a long time ago.

There are cut-corner princess stones out there. I'm not certain that JA carries them, though.

Me too. Are you sure it has to be a princess? Does she like any other shapes, or is princess it?

If princess cut is the only one that will do, then I would definitely get sturdy V-prongs.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
A double claw pronged corner setting will also "square off" the look if she likes a more squared off look and you decide to go with a round if y'all end up thinking that is safer than a princess cut. I agree with the others that P-cuts are pretty delicate and if you have an "active" lifestyle, you may have to take that in to consideration when you pick the setting and go with a very sturdy v prong.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Older look, square says cushion to me. Princess is quite contemporary

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree older look to me says emerald cut or asscher in a lucida style band.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arcticcatmatt|1370872241|3462606 said:
.... I took her to look at Erings last week to figure out what she liked. She likes a plain style flat thinner band. I am getting platinum. She also likes a princess diamond. She liked round too but it seems that she liked princess more. She said "I like the older more traditional look of a simple band and square diamond"

Cut for space, but a princess is actually a really modern look. Do you think she could have meant (or might be open to) a squared-off setting around a round stone? It would help you maximize size, both because rounds face up bigger, and because the corners on the squared setting give a nice illusion of size ...

Ex. below, comparing 1.5 and 2.5 rounds in squared-off settings.

ps_comparison_shot_0.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm laughing out loud. You know how they say to never judge a book by its cover? I took one look at the photo you posted, even before reading the text, and thought "yup she looks like a princess kind of girl!" :bigsmile:

Get the princess.
Get a sturdy no-nonsense setting with sturdy no-nonsense Vprongs.
Get it insured.
Get back to your kayaking, hunting, skiing... ::)

Princesses are more delicate because of those corners and low crown height but to be honest, an active lifestyle (wherein the ring participates in the activity) is a recipe for trouble anyway. IMO the question of "how much more risky" becomes sorta irrelevant once we've stamped the "very high risk" label on - may as well just get what she said she wants and be prepared to have to replace it at some point. Just be sure to get it insured!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1370899915|3462917 said:
Get the princess.
Get a sturdy no-nonsense setting with sturdy no-nonsense Vprongs.
Get it insured.
Get back to your kayaking, hunting, skiing... ::)

THIS. If it's what she wants, get it, insure it, enjoy it.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
edit: ^ That is a very white-looking G, compared to the ones I looked at earlier. My comments, below, do not reference that stone, or any stone in particular.

---------------------------------------------

I was trying to do something useful like look up preferred specs for Princess, but the AGS lab is the only one that has criteria for "idea Princess." There's a Pricescope page that you can read through on Princess and how to pic them. There are different faceting patterns and all are called Princess. I tend to gravitate toward many small squarish facets without any big X through the center.

color: It's a deep cut, and to me, the JA "G" color princesses were all showing a lot of tint and I would personally stop at F-G. H might work, but I have seen a Hearts On Fire princess 1ct in I color, and it was definitely vanilla white, or candlelight, not true white.

I found this in an old PS thread from back in 2006 or so, and it's just someone's preference:
This is what someone posted regarding Princess Cut Stones
Cheat sheet for Princess Cuts: (In missy430's opinion)
table: should be from 65 - 72%
crown height: between 9 - 11%
Depth: should be between 64-75%
girdle: thin to med. or med. to thick
depth & table shouldn't be more than 3% apart

I don't know whether these are of any use or not, ASET images & moving ASET images:
http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1370901330|3462936 said:

I'm terrible at princesses but that looks beautiful.

I agree with everyone else they are a bit delicate for an active lady. If you have the budget is put it in this.
Very simple and sturdy yet let's the stone be the star. Plus for some a princess in a bezel just screams sporty to me.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-princess-center-item-3278

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1370901964|3462941 said:
edit: ^ That is a very white-looking G, compared to the ones I looked at earlier. My comments, below, do not reference that stone, or any stone in particular.

---------------------------------------------

I was trying to do something useful like look up preferred specs for Princess, but the AGS lab is the only one that has criteria for "idea Princess." There's a Pricescope page that you can read through on Princess and how to pic them. There are different faceting patterns and all are called Princess. I tend to gravitate toward many small squarish facets without any big X through the center.

color: It's a deep cut, and to me, the JA "G" color princesses were all showing a lot of tint and I would personally stop at F-G. H might work, but I have seen a Hearts On Fire princess 1ct in I color, and it was definitely vanilla white, or candlelight, not true white.

I found this in an old PS thread from back in 2006 or so, and it's just someone's preference:
This is what someone posted regarding Princess Cut Stones
Cheat sheet for Princess Cuts: (In missy430's opinion)
table: should be from 65 - 72%
crown height: between 9 - 11%
Depth: should be between 64-75%
girdle: thin to med. or med. to thick
depth & table shouldn't be more than 3% apart

I don't know whether these are of any use or not, ASET images & moving ASET images:
http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

Interesting to see how princess preferences have adapted - assuming missy430's opinion was representative of the PS party line at that time..

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
This is a spready D VS1 for $5490 and I don't know how the shallow depth + big table affect a princess (round would be brilliant but might lack fire, and too-shallow might be "dim" at close range and better suited to a pendant than a ring, maybe.) But it has size and bright white color.
1.01 Carat D-VS1 Very Good Cut Princess Diamond / SKU: 117970
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-117970
5.79*5.60*3. so it's slightly rectangular. But I like its small facets. And white color.

I kind of like this one, too, in spite of its very thick girdle $5230 5.55 x 5.32 x 3.90
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-164071

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/princess-cut-diamond gives the AGA grades

from that:
ideal cut grade 1A
Table 62-68%
Depth 64-75%
crown ht 10-15%
girdle vthk to sl thk (.4-4.5%) or thin - thk (1-5.5%)

premium cut grade 1B
Table 60-72%
Depth same as 1A
crown ht 8.5- 16%
girdle same as 1A

eta: An old info page from Good Old gold http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic/princess.htm

I interpreted "older look" (plus the picture of that ring) to mean a simple traditional solitaire setting that is 4 prong and not "fussy" or antique or pave, "bold gold," etc.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking the same thing that Circe said. The old, classic square-looking rings are often round or round-ish diamonds set in square settings.

ETA: a 1 carat round brilliant in a square-head setting is going to look larger than a princess. Don't know if that makes any difference. If it's set in an illusion head, that will help protect it and make it look even larger. Don't know if JA carries anything that style, though.

liz

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LibbyLA|1370903692|3462967 said:
I was thinking the same thing that Circe said. The old, classic square-looking rings are often round or round-ish diamonds set in square settings.

ETA: a 1 carat round brilliant in a square-head setting is going to look larger than a princess. Don't know if that makes any difference. If it's set in an illusion head, that will help protect it and make it look even larger. Don't know if JA carries anything that style, though.

liz

Maybe JA can call in Stuller settings? Dunno if this is even relevant, since I'm still not sure if his Matt's ladylove and I mean the same thing when we think "traditional" and "square," but since most jewelers can, the option should at least be on the table ....

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the replys!! Holy smokes! I read them all and looked at everything thanks so much!!

I just sat Loryn down and told her that some day I will propose and I need to save up and I didn't like the pressure of the jewelery store. She said she didn't either and wanted to look at them on the computer.

She picked this band
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-etched-profile-solitaire-item-9205

And she said princess cut or round/brilliant.

It appears that round brilliant cost more for the same characteristics?

a princess cut in that band she picked is beautiful. Yes, this will be insured.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arcticcatmatt|1370908711|3463024 said:
I appreciate the replys!! Holy smokes! I read them all and looked at everything thanks so much!!

I just sat Loryn down and told her that some day I will propose and I need to save up and I didn't like the pressure of the jewelery store. She said she didn't either and wanted to look at them on the computer.

She picked this band
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-etched-profile-solitaire-item-9205

And she said princess cut or round/brilliant.

It appears that round brilliant cost more for the same characteristics?

a princess cut in that band she picked is beautiful. Yes, this will be insured.

is 5k still the budget for the stone? because if so you could get a .9 ct well cut round for that price. which i know is smaller in ctw than a 1ct princess, but rounds look bigger. Plus, an I round is going to be quite white for a platinum setting. You dont have to stay as high as you do with a princess.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-213709

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
articcatmatt,

Rounds typically face up larger for their weight than princesses do. Look at the dimensions rather than the weight.

That's a beautiful band, but she's going to need to wear a spacer between it and a wedding ring if she wears a wedding ring. Otherwise, the wedding ring will probably wear the beautiful design away.

liz

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
I'd really like to spend about 5k on the stone and ring. The band is 925. So it appears I can get a bigger stone if square. It appears I can get a 1 carat square and that band for ~5,000 and that would be beautiful. I think she plans on getting the band soldered after marriage. The plain band with no design is actually about $400 more for some dumb reason. She likes the solid flat band too (no rope design).

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1370955549|3463327 said:
I'd really like to spend about 5k on the stone and ring. The band is 925. So it appears I can get a bigger stone if square. It appears I can get a 1 carat square and that band for ~5,000 and that would be beautiful. I think she plans on getting the band soldered after marriage. The plain band with no design is actually about $400 more for some dumb reason. She likes the solid flat band too (no rope design).

Articcatmatt, I think what the PP are trying to say is that the princess may be a higher ct wt, but it will have smaller measurements of a round in the same ct wt. So lets just say that a well cut 1 ct ideal round is 6.5mm, a princess will be around 5.3-5.5mm (depending on the l/w ratio).

I think she has chosen a beautiful setting! Good luck with your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results