shape
carat
color
clarity

Help arcticcatmatt buy a 1 carat princess cut

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A one carat diamond should measure about 6.5mm, give or take: a one carat princess will look smaller, regardless of weight, if it faces up (as it should) around 5.5mm. The price difference is a way to balance the scales, sort of.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
If she prefers the princess cut and that's what you like, I would stick with that. And I think the band you picked is very pretty, but I would definitely ask for V-prongs as Yssie suggested.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1370955549|3463327 said:
I'd really like to spend about 5k on the stone and ring. The band is 925. So it appears I can get a bigger stone if square. It appears I can get a 1 carat square and that band for ~5,000 and that would be beautiful. I think she plans on getting the band soldered after marriage. The plain band with no design is actually about $400 more for some dumb reason. She likes the solid flat band too (no rope design).
That setting is gorgeous! Getting the bands soldered (lightly soldered) will definitely keep them from rubbing and turning (which I love about having soldered bands). However, I assume the w-band will have a low profile so that she can enjoy the etched profile of the e-ring while wearing both together?

If you both really prefer the "square" diamond, then by all means go for the princess. I think you might also prefer it because the previous stone you bought was round, and I don't blame you for wanting a complete change this time around. Especially since your SO has brought such amazing (and unexpected :bigsmile: ) happiness into your life!! It'll be a fresh start for you guys and I think you're on the right track.

Please come back with pics and hand shots once it's complete okay? I'm very excited for you guys!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Niel I love that stone

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Roxy|1370992748|3463760 said:
arcticcatmatt|1370955549|3463327 said:
I'd really like to spend about 5k on the stone and ring. The band is 925. So it appears I can get a bigger stone if square. It appears I can get a 1 carat square and that band for ~5,000 and that would be beautiful. I think she plans on getting the band soldered after marriage. The plain band with no design is actually about $400 more for some dumb reason. She likes the solid flat band too (no rope design).
That setting is gorgeous! Getting the bands soldered (lightly soldered) will definitely keep them from rubbing and turning (which I love about having soldered bands). However, I assume the w-band will have a low profile so that she can enjoy the etched profile of the e-ring while wearing both together?

If you both really prefer the "square" diamond, then by all means go for the princess. I think you might also prefer it because the previous stone you bought was round, and I don't blame you for wanting a complete change this time around. Especially since your SO has brought such amazing (and unexpected :bigsmile: ) happiness into your life!! It'll be a fresh start for you guys and I think you're on the right track.

Please come back with pics and hand shots once it's complete okay? I'm very excited for you guys!

how very nice of you! And you are correct.. that has gone thru my head about the round.. I don't want ANY memory of the mistake I made in the past and this ring would be totally different... however, reading what others wrote here I worry that a 1 carat princess would appear small compared to a .9c round? I am thinking I need to pick a 1 carat princess for that band within the next 2 days and order it so it gets here in time for our adventure trip to maine.. camping out of the car for a week.

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
At the center of the stone, I think you will be around a .7 MM difference in face up size. However, that is at the smallest measurement in the princess diamond... a .9 CT round that is cut well will face up around 6.26 MM, while a 1 CT Princess aroung 5.5*5.5. The surface area of the round vs princess is a difference of around .5 mm^2, a miniscule difference. Depending on lighting, you may perceive the round as bigger as a well cut round will return more light from the areas around the perimeter than the princess will.

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
^ Thanks for breaking that down. Here is a .75c in that band.. looks big to me. A 1c would look even bigger. However, I am concerned with the center of a princess. If there is any flaw it seems that it would be easy to see.. much more easier than with a round
75.jpg

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Well.. I laid the dimensions out in CAD (I am a designer).

I drew up my .64 ct round diamond I have here in front of me that I have always thought looked average (not big or small). I then modeled up a 1 ct princess cut. The circle of the round has the same dia as the width of the square :(. Heck put 4 prongs on it and it would look like the same size as this .64 round grrr.

That, and what you all said about active lifestyle.. has made me decide to go round. Now.. what is the best 1 carat round diamond I can get for less than 5 grand.. What is the rule of thumb for diamond color with platnium? .. H and above?
I am thinking
Round
H and above
Very good cut and above
Eye Clean Sl1 and above
1 carat and above
The ring should look like the below. That looks big, what do you think?

1carat.jpg

_7124.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your drawing clearly shows that a 1 ct princess is larger than a .64 round.

a .6x round of diameter 5.5 is 23.76 mm^2. A 1 ct princess of 5.5 mm length is 30.25 mm^2. By my math the 1 ct princess is 27% larger, a significant amount.

You'd probably have to go to I color to get a full carat, or SI2.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Julie,

The .64 round is the diamond in the "old" set he's trying to sell. He's looking at closer to a 1 ct. round.

liz

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge princess buff, but I have to say I prefer the round in that setting. I don't like the large prongs - and I'm not a V-prong person either, but I just prefer more delicate prongs. I've had my princess in a non-V prong setting since 2007 and haven't had any damage, for what it's worth.

That said, if she really expressed a strong preference for the princess, I'd get one. It just seems that she really hasn't, so either a round or princess would be fine, and in that setting I prefer a round.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1371060472|3464344 said:

a .6x round of diameter 5.5 is 23.76 mm^2. A 1 ct princess of 5.5 mm length is 30.25 mm^2. By my math the 1 ct princess is 27% larger, a significant amount.

I agree - I've also said repeatedly that I think the eye perceives area, not just diameter, so princesses don't really appear that much smaller than rounds of the same size. They get a bad rap for having smaller dimensions, but you gotta remember there's diamond in the corners that the eye and brain are seeing.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1371078932|3464588 said:
JulieN|1371060472|3464344 said:

I agree - I've also said repeatedly that I think the eye perceives area, not just diameter, so princesses don't really appear that much smaller than rounds of the same size. They get a bad rap for having smaller dimensions, but you gotta remember there's diamond in the corners that the eye and brain are seeing.

I agree. I think you see the surface area on a princess, and also the diagonal along the princess, so they really don't appear too much smaller than a round, despite the edge to edge difference.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a pp said this but its important to consider the fact that the sides of a princess don't return light as well so that also effects the perceived size.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned, but that setting is vintage inspired. A princess is very modern looking.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1371057357|3464288 said:
Well.. I laid the dimensions out in CAD (I am a designer).

I drew up my .64 ct round diamond I have here in front of me that I have always thought looked average (not big or small). I then modeled up a 1 ct princess cut. The circle of the round has the same dia as the width of the square :(. Heck put 4 prongs on it and it would look like the same size as this .64 round grrr.

That, and what you all said about active lifestyle.. has made me decide to go round. Now.. what is the best 1 carat round diamond I can get for less than 5 grand.. What is the rule of thumb for diamond color with platnium? .. H and above?
I am thinking
Round
H and above
Very good cut and above
Eye Clean Sl1 and above
1 carat and above
The ring should look like the below. That looks big, what do you think?
I think that if you're looking at rounds then I'd strongly suggest you go with an ideal cut (definitely no less than excellent). With the band you're considering "I" color would be fine and you could go as low as SI2 clarity (as long as you work closely with the jeweler to make sure it meets your expectations of "eye clean").

Since you're already working w/ JA, contact them w/ your specs and see what they can provide in a quick timeframe. I really like the idea of putting a round diamond into a squared-off setting (like Circe posted earlier), that way you'd have the spread of the round but it would look unlike anything you've had before.

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I went to a local place last night and asked for a 1ct princess to be put in front of a 1ct round. The princess certainly didn't appear small.. but side by side.. the round appeared larger and sparkled more. I looked at them hard for 20 mins haha. I then took out the .64 ring I have here and put it next to both of them.. big difference!

I am confident that a 1 ct round will be large and stunning in that setting... I won't have any regrets and I dont' think it will remind me of my last purchase. The ring will look different and the diamond will be much larger.

I need to pick the best 1ct round I can for 5,000 asap. I looked at a few and tried to punch them into the calculator on this site but the GIA diagram sheets get confusing with all those percentages.. they are not labeled so I don't know what to punch in. I'd settle for next step down from ideal cut if I had to. This .64 I have is the next step down but when we punched it into the calculator on here years back, it was perfect. And it sparkles like crazy. I need to have a diamond picked out by today or tomorrow.. JA said it would take a week to make.

pomellina

Rough_Rock
Here's a cheat sheet for picking a decent RB that I saw on another thread:
Depth: 60-62.4%
Table: 54-57%
Crown angle: 34-35 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6-41 degrees
Girdle: Avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc.

If pavilion angle = 40.6, lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown.
If pavilion angle = 41, lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

You can search on James Allen by depth and table if you select the Advanced Options button. You can then input these ranges and it will narrow down your search. You will have to look at the individual reports for the angles and then check them on HCA. Once you've got 3 contenders, ask James Allen to assist.

pomellina

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure what you've decided regarding the colour but if you're OK with a J there's this one in your budget:
1.01 carat J VS2 AGS 000 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-154165

If you want something SI1 and above with an ideal cut, I think you might struggle to stay in the near colourless range. I think you might have to end up looking for an IJK on James Allen for a 1 ct. Otherwise, you could drop down to a 0.9x ct.

If you're prepared to drop down the carat size, I like this one (but I emphasise that I'm no expert) and you'd need to make sure the prongs covered the inclusion on the edge:
0.93 carat H SI2 True Hearts AGS 000 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.93-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-134522

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks I am evaulating t hose stones now. That one has a big feather? in the table I bet isn't eye clean. I am trying to look at these now after work but she is having me help make dinner and get in the hot tub grrr. I have to get this ordered. We leave in 2 weeks. I might have to try this after she goes to bed and say I don't feel good or I might have to try and pick one at work tomorrow.

crap :(

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt, I think your choices are a 1 ct and J and/or SI2. Even stretching the cut, that is what I get. BTW J color is "near colorless."

Or .9x range H/I VS/SI1. Which do you prefer?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-190432
hca 1.0 but it faces up small (6mm due to depth)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-224489
HCA 1.9

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.93-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-226382
hca 1.7

.9 hca but scattered inclusions http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-226396

Most of the JA offerings of good color have inclusions that might be visible. :/ I didn't look at J because I think J has a lot of tint. I wear a J but I picked it b/c I just wanted an inexpensive diamond. Would not be my 1st choice.

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
while looking at yours I learned and compared and I found these!
This scores a 1.1 on the HCA! I called and put it on hold. I am dealing with Angelia, same rep as 4 yrs ago haha. She is great and remembers me. I don't understand why the website says Ideal but the GIA sheet says very good.. when I punch it into the HCA it says 1.1
Light Return Very Good
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-229218
Pricescope price 4780.. perfect and its a 6.42 dia round 1 ct.. should look big and I won't have any regrets. Her moms ring is a 1 ct round and she is always saying how big her moms ring is.

Angelia wanted me to look at this one.. but I really dont' care about the hearts and arrows stuff and this one is an Si2.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.97-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-213742

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1371218191|3465733 said:
while looking at yours I learned and compared and I found these!
This scores a 1.1 on the HCA! I called and put it on hold. I am dealing with Angelia, same rep as 4 yrs ago haha. She is great and remembers me. I don't understand why the website says Ideal but the GIA sheet says very good.. when I punch it into the HCA it says 1.1
Light Return Very Good
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-229218
Pricescope price 4780.. perfect and its a 6.42 dia round 1 ct.. should look big and I won't have any regrets. Her moms ring is a 1 ct round and she is always saying how big her moms ring is.

Angelia wanted me to look at this one.. but I really dont' care about the hearts and arrows stuff and this one is an Si2.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.97-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-213742

I'd be a little worried about the shallow pavilion on the one you have picked (40.2) but my advice is pick your 3 and get a gemologist review and idealscopes. I would wait for idealscopes before plunging in with a purchase. Would you buy a car based on first impressions?

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
^ Thanks. I called and asked for 2 idealscopes.. hope it looks good on the first one.. it scores good so we will see :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.00-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-229218 is way too shallow, see how much black there is in the video. that is why it does not get GIA's top grade.

I think the 1 ct I SI1 I posted is a better choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results