shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Appreciated: Our Diamond Finalist?

julessd14

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I have been researching/shopping for our forever diamond and wanted to get some second opinions on the following:

Diamond ($4,970): https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-7760854

GIA Report: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9T1YxUMTlnqc3ZTMm5vQUtTV1VSWDZUemlGTEd3M3VBOTBn/view?usp=sharing

Setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...um-15mm-comfort-fit-engagement-ring-item-8173

We asked for Idealscope images and the diamond is currently on hold for us while the images are being gathered (which we can share once received). Our budget for the diamond is <$5,500 for a 0.9+ ct. We care about attaining maximum sparkle (!!). We're looking for I-G color and SI1-VS1 clarity.

Thanks!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like you picked a good one. Hopefully the requested images confirm this!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appears you have done some homework. The proportions look promising. I would personally prefer a little steeper pavilion with the 34.5 crown, but it's still within acceptable range.

The IS image should confirm light performance.

By chance, did you ask JA about the feathers. That is the primary grade setting inclusion and I see you have several. Doubtful it's too problematic being an SI1 but I'd want to confirm no potential structural issues.

FYI, here is a screen cap of the HCA, in case you weren't already aware. Sorry, on my phone so had to do two captures to get it all.

Screenshot_20191008-014630_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191008-014729_Chrome.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you picked an awesome stone and the only other one I would inquire about would be:

JA makes it difficult to suggest options since the GIA report has to be requested in order to vet them.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA makes it difficult to suggest options since the GIA report has to be requested in order to vet them.

If you see my eye twitching, it's because I'm doing all I can to not unleash on JA concerning their "cert policy". :roll: :wall:

Moving on.

Here is a super ideal from VC that hits your price, clarity and is a super ideal H&A stone. Comes with better upgrade program, and a discount on VC settings which are pretty stellar.

This CBI stone is being crafted, which means it could be a smidge larger, better color or better clarity than it's being priced as. If it comes back better, you pay the same price. If it comes back worse, you get to walk or they adjust the price accordingly. Great upgrade program. Beautiful settings. And while I don't normally care for SI2's, HPD/CBI guarantees an EYE CLEAN stone.

Last, but not least, here is an option from WF. It's a little below budget, but also below the 1 carat mark. It's part of their Expert Select program which is a near miss ACA, but comes with all the perks of an ACA.

julessd14

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! It's so helpful to know folks at the RockyTalky community are willing to share their expertise with us!

The Idealscope image came in from James Allen as follow. What are your thoughts?

Should we pull the trigger?

7760854id.jpg

julessd14

Rough_Rock
I think you picked an awesome stone and the only other one I would inquire about would be:

Thank you! You nailed it, having to start a conversation to get each GIA report has been one of the most tedious part! :roll2:

julessd14

Rough_Rock
Appears you have done some homework. The proportions look promising. I would personally prefer a little steeper pavilion with the 34.5 crown, but it's still within acceptable range.

The IS image should confirm light performance.

By chance, did you ask JA about the feathers. That is the primary grade setting inclusion and I see you have several. Doubtful it's too problematic being an SI1 but I'd want to confirm no potential structural issues.

FYI, here is a screen cap of the HCA, in case you weren't already aware. Sorry, on my phone so had to do two captures to get it all.

Screenshot_20191008-014630_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191008-014729_Chrome.jpg

Your message brought a smile to our face! We did a lot of research leading up to this so we're glad to hear we did an ok job at picking a diamond!

Could you help share a bit more on the "potential structural issues" please? We asked about the risk for chipping and was informed that shouldn't be a concern. I can certainly probe more though!

Thanks for the HCA score! :)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At SI1 I sincerely doubt you will have to worry about structural issues.:cool2: My SI diamond has held up through the years. Looks like a great stone!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that an SI1 should not cause structural issues. However, there are several feathers. One appears to reach from crown to pavilion side. It's free to ask JA's gemologist to review and confirm there are no potential issues, even if it's a minimal worry.

The IS image looks good btw.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
but please keep in mind your original choice does not offer a great option if an upgrade would ever be a possibility.

julessd14

Rough_Rock
I agree that an SI1 should not cause structural issues. However, there are several feathers. One appears to reach from crown to pavilion side. It's free to ask JA's gemologist to review and confirm there are no potential issues, even if it's a minimal worry.

The IS image looks good btw.

Great point! We've emailed JA back to get this checked and confirmed, for piece of mind. Thank you for reviewing the IS!

julessd14

Rough_Rock
At SI1 I sincerely doubt you will have to worry about structural issues.:cool2: My SI diamond has held up through the years. Looks like a great stone!

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing this detail about your SI with us! :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA stone is nice, but will require you to spend double if you upgrade. WF, VC and Highperformancediamonds much more generous policies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results