shape
carat
color
clarity

Height of New 5 Stone Bezel Ring

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
D9FB7F57-E230-4B64-A1FC-8716E01298FE.jpeg
I’d probably want it around here. I’m guessing this would be around 4.5-5mm?
It also reminded me of these designs - if they thin out the bezels, make it a little taller, there will be more room for the floral motif!

AB6A327D-18D0-463A-A935-842277458CEC.jpeg
46055BD0-1764-4FB4-9C48-C2670E95A6D8.jpeg

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes I see what you mean exactly. Far too squat for my tastes too.

i am sorry that communication with your jeweler has been tricky. Sometimes we just don’t hit it off as well with certain jewelers, or have really different ideas to solve a problem. I wonder if this jeweler will respond better to photos than verbal descriptions. It is stressful though when you have a vision, and can’t quite get someone to see it with you!

We originally tried to also work with another custom jeweler in town. He was much more responsive than the jewelry designer that I'm currently working with. He was personality plus. However, it turned out that he knew almost nothing about jewelry. His father and grandfather and great grandfather had build up the business and were all jewelers. When the father recently passed away unexpectedly, he was the son to take over the jewelry business. But prior to that, he was in an entirely different business. So whenever I asked about maybe doing this or that with a ring design, he actually had no idea of what I was talking about. He wasn't knowledge about even basic jewelry terminology. Since the bench work was handled by someone who had been with his father for 40 years, maybe things would have somehow worked out. But as nice as he was & as good as he was in keeping communications open & making the customer feel special, I didn't feel good about his knowledge about making custom jewelry; which had been his father's specialty. The son really wasn't knowledgeable about jewelry design. He'd just throw out ideas from pictures of things his father had created. But I must say, he did try hard to get us to use his company.

As for the jewelry designer I'm current using, she has been rather slow in getting back to us. That's been a big problem for me. She was the very first jeweler we contacted about having a custom 3 stone ring designed. Her slowness in responses was why we then also considered the above mentioned local jeweler.

When it became clear that the very responsive jeweler didn't understand custom design, we went back to the lady who actually is a jewelry designer. Anyhow, in additional to using words and expressing ideas, I've sent this current jewelry designer tons of photos to go along with my thoughts. But my thoughts have been somewhat fluid & I had hoped to get more design help from someone who works in jewelry design. Although I have a feeling for what I "like", I must have looked at photos of 100,000 diamond rings on the Internet picking out features that appeal to me.

My husband, who started the process, feels she will eventually be able to create the ring of my dreams. She's created jewelry for various famous people. However, while my husband felt it okay to wait 2 weeks or even more at a time for each answer from her, I didn't. So I have finally taken over handling everything.

Frankly, I really wanted my husband to stay involved with communications with the jeweler because this was OUR anniversary. He also was originally able to design and have custom made (all by himself) my beloved engagement ring that has become a part of my hand. He also had the diamond and emerald setting for my large black opal custom done by himself for one of our earlier anniversaries. So I wanted him to continue to be involved in the creation and purchase of this special anniversary ring; beyond than just paying for it.

Now, he's saying "do whatever you want" about design. He's still interested, but not quite as interested as he would be as part of the ongoing conversations with the jewelry designer.

Meanwhile, I find it a little frustrating to have to wait long periods of time to keep things moving forward with this jewelry designer; even after I took over.

Hopefully it's not weeks now before I see something concrete in a revised design after my recent request for a somewhat higher profile.

I'm sure that if we didn't have to rely on phone and Internet only (and could discuss things in person with trays of jewelry examples in front of us), the process of having a custom made ring wouldn't be quite as difficult. But the risk of COVID has made life in general a lot more difficult than it should be.

I'm not used to buying jewelry this way.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
It also reminded me of these designs - if they thin out the bezels, make it a little taller, there will be more room for the floral motif!

The sketch in red kind of says what I need to have done. I'm currently wearing a 3 stone, diamond cluster ring that is 5 1/2 mm in height. So maybe that's what I was more or less expecting rather than a finger hugging band.

Before now, I never thought one way or other about ring height. I just assumed the height would fit the design.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
What about going to a different jeweler? It sounds like you aren’t that happy with the one you’re working with for a variety of reasons. And I think the cad needs work.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry this has been such a frustrating experience! I think different jewelers work differently across a total spectrum - some really control their vision to the point of rejecting any client input, all the way down to needing to be spoon fed ideas.

it sounds like this jeweler, at least in your interaction, is not helping you in the way you want or taking your ideas and really creating something cool out it. I wonder if working with another designer might work, or just adjust your expectations if the idea of finding someone else is too exhausting. I wonder if directly telling her that the long lapses in communication are frustrating, or setting firm expectations about a deadline. I wonder if she simply isn’t aware that it’s bugging you! Although boy 2 weeks between correspondence would drive me NUTS

It does sound like another jeweler might be another fit, like David Klass who is popular on PS!

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
David could easily make a ring for you. Do you have the stones or is she sourcing them?

No, I don't have the stones yet. I am hoping for ideal cut hearts & arrows... But I first wanted to decide on a setting. Deciding on a setting first seemed easier and more flexible.
Now that I think back to other custom designed rings I've had done in the past, the main stone did come first. In those cases, there were no CADs. The jeweler just listened to what was wanted, took the stones, and then did all his magic completely by hand.

I wasn't involved in the creation of my engagement ring, but my husband recently said that he did have some difficulty with the first jeweler who took on that project. My husband got the diamonds (family heirlooms) back & found another jeweler who actually listened and did a really beautiful job.

The creation of my other 3 custom rings (early in our marriage) went extremely smoothly. We verbally explained a vision & miraculously a hand made, perfect ring - that totally fit that vision - then came about within a relatively short period of time. Nothing was at all complicated about getting a job done. Now, I finally realize just how extremely lucky I was with those rings.

It's been a number of years since I've had any custom design work done. So I wasn't expecting what I've encountered so far.

Beyond the stone size for the design, I really haven't yet discussed the diamonds with the jeweler who has been doing my 5 stone design work. We've looked at on-line prices for quality diamonds from places like White Flash and Brian Gavin to get an idea what our budget will cover. But that's been it.

Now, I'm suddenly getting nervous about finding and getting the stones I want.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I’m sorry this has been such a frustrating experience! I think different jewelers work differently across a total spectrum - some really control their vision to the point of rejecting any client input, all the way down to needing to be spoon fed ideas.

it sounds like this jeweler, at least in your interaction, is not helping you in the way you want or taking your ideas and really creating something cool out it. I wonder if working with another designer might work, or just adjust your expectations if the idea of finding someone else is too exhausting. I wonder if directly telling her that the long lapses in communication are frustrating, or setting firm expectations about a deadline. I wonder if she simply isn’t aware that it’s bugging you! Although boy 2 weeks between correspondence would drive me NUTS

It does sound like another jeweler might be another fit, like David Klass who is popular on PS!

So far, other than being very, very slow in communicating, this jewelry designer hasn't yet done horribly wrong & irreversible. In the big picture, her not understanding that I didn't like a super low band probably is neither here nor there; since the only thing involved at this point is a piece of plastic. If I can give her some very specific directions, she still seems to be willing to make changes. I'm glad I came to Price Scope.

My problem is that I have a concept in my head, but I'm not a jewelry designer. So I can only say what I'd like, but I can't say how to make it. , So I need help from a jewelry designer to refine my ideas until I do get a design that really appeals to me.

I thought this 5 stone bezel ring would be a fairly easy project since I did have a pretty good idea of what I like. But being unable to meet with a jeweler in person, I can't say "I like this. How should we do it" & have the jeweler immediately say "Have you thought about xxx?" And then my instantly answering, "Yes, I'd like that" or No, but what about yyyy? Would yyy work better & still give me what I envision?" Going several days to up to 3 weeks between jeweler/ client on-line conversation has been difficult.

Maybe that pattern is partly my husband's fault because he said he didn't like to nag the jeweler. So he just let things ride until she eventually got around to answering him. Meanwhile, I was behind the scenes nagging him to contact her again to see if she was moving forward at all. That's why I recent took over handling the entire process & let him to get out of the middle.

Would it even be ethical for me to change jewelers after this one has already provided a plastic model? I feel committed.

When we first started this process back in April, my husband spoke to someone at White Flash (our first choice because I wanted hearts & arrow ideal diamonds). Whoever my husband spoke to got upset when he told her that he would also be talking to other jewelers before proceeding with CAD's or anything major. He first wanted to get a feeling for who might be able to best design what I wanted. However, the lady at White Flash said at that early point that if he was also talking to others, she didn't feel comfortable working with him at all. So we dropped the White Flash idea; even before it ever got off the ground. We didn't want to break any unspoken rules. At that point, we were just searching for a jeweler to work with.

My husband still feels the current jewelry designer can do the ring I want. She has a very good reputation and is very popular. She's also very busy. I get the feeling that my project is just not at the top of her "to do" list.

Because I'm not willing to "settle" for a ring I don't like, I'd be more willing to instead totally drop the entire project; rather than settle. I don't want to do that, but we're now headed toward it being 3 months after our big anniversary. At his rate we'll be at our next anniversary (which will be just another anniversary) before I get the ring that I was supposed to have on my hand for this big one.

Because design work didn't seem to be coming together, I have already put the 3 stone ring idea on hold , . That's partly my fault because I'm not as sure exactly what I want in the 3 stone design. I needed more design help. I know features I like, but the jewelry designer was just providing me with only what looked like stock designs. Nothing seemed right. We weren't getting anywhere. So I thought it best o step back for a while.

Frankly, I'm amazed that I'm having this much trouble with getting a design for either dream ring.

I can walk into my local jeweler to get my ring cleaned & almost always end up finding something I love in his showcase. I've ended up buying far too much jewelry because of that. It's just a small, local store, but for some reason, he seems to carry designs that appeal to me. On the other hand, I've been to other very large jewelers who have multi thousand rings in stock, but nothing there that tickles my fancy. Go figure.

However, with as many "ready made" pieces of jewelry that I have & like a lot, I don't feel any of them are as special as my few custom designed pieces. This past anniversary deserves a ring that I absolutely "love" and will wear a lot; not merely "like" and wear occasionally. I don't know if that makes sense. I don't want a factory made ring for this anniversary. That would be settling. I want something more special and created just for me.

I guess until the current jewelry designer proves that she absolutely can't create a ring I like, I'd feel guilty about walking away from her because she's already invested her time in working with me. Even if the process has been slow as molasses, she has given time & effort to my project.

Back when we were looking for someone to work with, I didn't want any jeweler to invest a lot of their time with my project if they I didn't go with them. But we did talk to more than one jeweler before proceeding with anything in depth. Two quickly got eliminated for reasons I previously mentioned. So we continued to proceed with the one who made the plastic model.

I'm now handling the slowness of the designer (that we ended up with) by contacting her ever 3 days; if only to ask "Did you get my last message?" This works sometimes; sometimes it doesn't. She now doesn't seem to delay answering longer than a week to 10 days. Sometimes, she even answers within 2 to 3 days.

I wish I had come to this group first for advice back when we started our search for a jewelry designer. I didn't find Price Scope until shortly before our anniversary. I joined after our anniversary.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So far, other than being very, very slow in communicating, this jewelry designer hasn't yet done horribly wrong & irreversible. In the big picture, her not understanding that I didn't like a super low band probably is neither here nor there; since the only thing involved at this point is a piece of plastic. If I can give her some very specific directions, she still seems to be willing to make changes. I'm glad I came to Price Scope.

My problem is that I have a concept in my head, but I'm not a jewelry designer. So I can only say what I'd like, but I can't say how to make it. , So I need help from a jewelry designer to refine my ideas until I do get a design that really appeals to me.

I thought this 5 stone bezel ring would be a fairly easy project since I did have a pretty good idea of what I like. But being unable to meet with a jeweler in person, I can't say "I like this. How should we do it" & have the jeweler immediately say "Have you thought about xxx?" And then my instantly answering, "Yes, I'd like that" or No, but what about yyyy? Would yyy work better & still give me what I envision?" Going several days to up to 3 weeks between jeweler/ client on-line conversation has been difficult.

Maybe that pattern is partly my husband's fault because he said he didn't like to nag the jeweler. So he just let things ride until she eventually got around to answering him. Meanwhile, I was behind the scenes nagging him to contact her again to see if she was moving forward at all. That's why I recent took over handling the entire process & let him to get out of the middle.

Would it even be ethical for me to change jewelers after this one has already provided a plastic model? I feel committed.

When we first started this process back in April, my husband spoke to someone at White Flash (our first choice because I wanted hearts & arrow ideal diamonds). Whoever my husband spoke to got upset when he told her that he would also be talking to other jewelers before proceeding with CAD's or anything major. He first wanted to get a feeling for who might be able to best design what I wanted. However, the lady at White Flash said at that early point that if he was also talking to others, she didn't feel comfortable working with him at all. So we dropped the White Flash idea; even before it ever got off the ground. We didn't want to break any unspoken rules. At that point, we were just searching for a jeweler to work with.

My husband still feels the current jewelry designer can do the ring I want. She has a very good reputation and is very popular. She's also very busy. I get the feeling that my project is just not at the top of her "to do" list.

Because I'm not willing to "settle" for a ring I don't like, I'd be more willing to instead totally drop the entire project; rather than settle. I don't want to do that, but we're now headed toward it being 3 months after our big anniversary. At his rate we'll be at our next anniversary (which will be just another anniversary) before I get the ring that I was supposed to have on my hand for this big one.

Because design work didn't seem to be coming together, I have already put the 3 stone ring idea on hold , . That's partly my fault because I'm not as sure exactly what I want in the 3 stone design. I needed more design help. I know features I like, but the jewelry designer was just providing me with only what looked like stock designs. Nothing seemed right. We weren't getting anywhere. So I thought it best o step back for a while.

Frankly, I'm amazed that I'm having this much trouble with getting a design for either dream ring.

I can walk into my local jeweler to get my ring cleaned & almost always end up finding something I love in his showcase. I've ended up buying far too much jewelry because of that. It's just a small, local store, but for some reason, he seems to carry designs that appeal to me. On the other hand, I've been to other very large jewelers who have multi thousand rings in stock, but nothing there that tickles my fancy. Go figure.

However, with as many "ready made" pieces of jewelry that I have & like a lot, I don't feel any of them are as special as my few custom designed pieces. This past anniversary deserves a ring that I absolutely "love" and will wear a lot; not merely "like" and wear occasionally. I don't know if that makes sense. I don't want a factory made ring for this anniversary. That would be settling. I want something more special and created just for me.

I guess until the current jewelry designer proves that she absolutely can't create a ring I like, I'd feel guilty about walking away from her because she's already invested her time in working with me. Even if the process has been slow as molasses, she has given time & effort to my project.

Back when we were looking for someone to work with, I didn't want any jeweler to invest a lot of their time with my project if they I didn't go with them. But we did talk to more than one jeweler before proceeding with anything in depth. Two quickly got eliminated for reasons I previously mentioned. So we continued to proceed with the one who made the plastic model.

I'm now handling the slowness of the designer (that we ended up with) by contacting her ever 3 days; if only to ask "Did you get my last message?" This works sometimes; sometimes it doesn't. She now doesn't seem to delay answering longer than a week to 10 days. Sometimes, she even answers within 2 to 3 days.

I wish I had come to this group first for advice back when we started our search for a jewelry designer. I didn't find Price Scope until shortly before our anniversary. I joined after our anniversary.

I totally understand what you are saying. I still think that this designer isn’t the best fit for you, especially for future projects! I totally get where you are coming from with not finding anything quite right, and needing to rely on a designer for more help. That is what some designers do - the execute a vision based on rough parameters. But I can understand why you feel committed. I might too. But I just want to encourage you not to down talk your reasonable expectations and make excuses for them - this project is important to *you*, you are paying for it, and whether it’s at the top of her heap or not, I assume you are paying for an agreed upon price which probably doesn’t mean “this price gets you garbage service”. Waiting weeks between every little response is BEYOND tedious and if I was in your position I wouldn’t have made it anywhere near this far without blowing a gasket! It sounds very stressful.

I am maybe more direct than many, but I would flatly communicate that her response times are far too slow and settle on a deadline! Did you ever discuss timeline expectations? Now would be the time to mention them...Otherwise you are more than warranted to find someone else and explain that response times are unreasonably slow and that this special project is taking far too long. Honestly the way I’d tolerate response times like that is from an absolute master designer that I had lusted after. I know, for me, I need high touch service. That is absolutely a dealbreaker when working with a vendor, for any project — for me — but I will tolerate other things people may find non negotiable

If you move to another vendor..I would also offer to pay for CADs/ wax and work done this far. Her time isn’t free just because a ring might not come out of it. If not, I would just be upfront! But that’s me :)

Last edited:

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
If this 5 stone ring doesn't come out like I'd like, I will be asking for help to find someone else.

I know I will have to be a lot more forceful (no matter who I use in the future) in moving another project (like the larger 3 stone ring) along more rapidly without these looooong delays of give & take that I've experienced so far with this on this one.

I guess fear of getting into an even worse situation has made me more accepting than I might have been otherwise.

During these times of COVID, the whole world has been turned upside-down. My husband keeps insisting, that because of that, I shouldn't be so impatient about long delays in responses from the current ring designer.

Like you, before now, I've always expected prompt, "white glove" service from others. My husband says I've been spoiled. With my previous experiences (with others & things other than custom made jewelry), I have seen responses within 24 hours; if not sooner. Because of the pandemic, however, I've tried to tone down my expectations about promptness. Still, as mentioned before, delays up to a couple of weeks have been difficult & extremely frustrating.

Strangely, there has been absolutely no discussion about money for anything with this jeweler yet. She said that we can talk about that when I'm satisfied with a ring design.

At this point, I have no idea of what the ring design may now look like after she raises the profile height. She still hasn't gotten back to me on that matter. I'm hoping she will send another plastic model so I can see things in real time. I'm waiting to find out.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think you are being spoiled nor do I think you have unreasonable expectations. To be frank, I’m not sure how else to say it beyond everything I’ve said!

You shouldn’t have to be forceful, or nag a vendor to respond. You are paying them. But you have to believe that you deserve better service! Why should a pandemic have anything to do with suffering through a project? It sounds like your expectations have been the same before and throughout- I understand shipping delays or other practical matters, but not responding for weeks between interactions...nope

If you have no stones with them, I would absolutely find someone else. I see no reason for you to have to white knuckle your way through lackluster service if you don’t have to. Sounds exhausting. And you have no skin in the game but time which sounds like it’s already been a lot and will continue to be longer. How would you feel if production took 9 weeks if it has been this painful to get CADs nailed down? (I’m hoping this is an exaggeration, but I have no idea since I’m not sure if you’ve set timeline expectations with this vendor) I had reached out for a quote from DK and got a reply a day later. Although I went with another vendor, I’d consider them.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
This afternoon, I received new renderings from the jewelry designer.

I had send her photos of Gussie's ring. The new renderings pretty much look like that. However, as much as I really, really like Gussie's ring, I don't know if I should make an exact clone of someone else's ring.

I did like the original design's scroll work. Or just as important, so did my husband. He was rather sold on that. I do want him to like this new ring almost as much as I do.

For me to better determine which direction I actually want to go, I asked to see a rendering of the original design with less metal on the bottom; plus the original scroll filigree in the open area. Obviously when you change the height of the head, the proportions of everything will also change slightly. I need to see that to know if I still like the original filigree or not.

As much as I want to get a ring on my hand as soon as possible, I don't want to rush into giving the okay on a design until I feel it's really the one I truly want on my hand. I don't want to have any regrets.

So I guess this next delay is my fault. However, I did get back to the jeweler in less than 3 hours after her message reached my inbox.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
My head is spinning about which direction to go.

Here are 2 photos of the most recent new & old Computer generated design images together.

Since I wasn't given any measurements, I don't know how much the head of the ring design has now been raised. With a change in the filigree, it looks like a lot. But that may be an optical illusion.

I rather liked the original filigree design & have asked last week to see that in a higher ring head version. I contacted the ring designer again today, but it will probably be another week before I hear from her. My husband says I'm too impatient.

But our anniversary was almost 3 months ago!!! Last night, I almost was willing to "settle"; just to get something on my hand. However, in the light of day, I know I'd never be happy with settling. So the saga goes on. HigherLowerRings.jpg HandHighLow.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, I think you need to move on. You spent months trying to get a 3 stone design and never did, and now it is taking months longer to even get a 5 stone ring designed. Many people here have had those made. It shouldn't take this long. I would not assume this jeweler could access stones of the quality of WF, either. I'd be choosing and buying my five 40 pointers and would send them to David Klass or another jeweler who could make what you want. I've done several custom rings and once I knew what I wanted, the design phase never took anywhere near this long.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I agree that I would also move on to a different jeweler. This one isn’t taking the input you provided (you asked for it to be higher and they completely changed the design of the gallery!). There are other designers who can get this right with a lot less hassle.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Truthfully, I think you need to move on. You spent months trying to get a 3 stone design and never did, and now it is taking months longer to even get a 5 stone ring designed. Many people here have had those made. It shouldn't take this long. I would not assume this jeweler could access stones of the quality of WF, either. I'd be choosing and buying my five 40 pointers and would send them to David Klass or another jeweler who could make what you want. I've done several custom rings and once I knew what I wanted, the design phase never took anywhere near this long.

This - I’m sorry this has been so stressful but I don’t think you’ll be doing yourself any favors by working with this jeweler anymore

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I was about to take the advice to jump ship to move on to someone else.

Then, the jeweler, working on my 5 stone ring design, actually got back to me late in the same day as I had sent her a reminder that I was waiting for a response from her.

She has promised me revised images with the original filigree today. That will be only one day after I last wrote her; not a week or two. Maybe this means things are now finally starting to move along.

I so have my fingers crossed!!!

Meanwhile, I'm admittedly somewhat apprehensive. Because this project has been so difficult and still is going on, I've become gun shy. I fear that if I changed to a different jeweler, I'd only be totally back to square #1 and perhaps face the same thing again with someone new on-line. I really don't know if I'd be willing to go through this same kind of stress again.
Custom designing a ring was supposed to be fun... I've never done it before without being able to talk to the jeweler face to face. Doing most everything on-line has been a new experience.

I'm picky, but I'm really not unrealistic in what I want in a ring. So I truthfully didn't expect this particular project to be difficult. I knew what I wanted & felt it only needed somewhat (educated in jewelry design) to turn that vision into a reality. I realistically did expect the possibility of some fine tuning. Little things that could be solved to my satisfaction. But I didn't expect all the problems and delays I've had. But maybe the delays are now over... I hope. I hope!

Anyhow, I'm now watching my email for the new photos.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock

I can't disagree. This project with this jeweler has been taking far too long.

Because I liked their diamonds (plus they've had super on-line and publication reviews), I originally contacted White Flash about doing the 3 stone ring design. They were ones we contacted first. I've mentioned that before in this thread. Anyhow, when the particular lady I spoke with at White Flash was difficult to deal with concerning design work, we moved on. I was quite disappointed. Nevertheless, I have kept in the back of my mind the possibility of still getting White Flash stones.

However, the two other jewelers I'd discussed my 3 ring project both said that they could source the same quality stones as White Flash. I don't know if that is true or not. Nor what the price difference would be.

The one local jeweler, who was extremely responsive & very personable, immediately came up with some stone possibilities. Those were diamonds in his inventory and not of the quality I was seeking. He came up with some other stone possibilities, but again not what I wanted. However due to his not really knowing the jewelry business, we soon moved on from him and to the current jeweler who has a degree in CAD work.

She has done work for "famous people" and has a very good reputation. We haven't yet seriously discussed any significant details about diamonds with her. Her company claims to only sell the top 5% of all diamonds; whatever that means. However, I wanted to nail down a design (supposedly the easy part) before picking out diamonds.

My research and knowledge about picking out the right diamonds needed refining. I know what I want, but I'm not sure about picking out specific stones; sight unseen.

How does one really pick out diamond on-line without seeing a stone in person? Specs on paper alone don't always tell the whole story, do they? Since I've never done things on-line before, I don't know the ins & outs.

I only found Pricescope after I'd been working with the current jeweler for a couple of months or more. Reading older posts here have provided me with more information so far than anything or anyone else. People here seem to help each other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't disagree. This project with this jeweler has been taking far too long.

Because I liked their diamonds (plus they've had super on-line and publication reviews), I originally contacted White Flash about doing the 3 stone ring design. They were ones we contacted first. I've mentioned that before in this thread. Anyhow, when the particular lady I spoke with at White Flash was difficult to deal with concerning design work, we moved on. I was quite disappointed. Nevertheless, I have kept in the back of my mind the possibility of still getting White Flash stones.

However, the two other jewelers I'd discussed my 3 ring project both said that they could source the same quality stones as White Flash. I don't know if that is true or not. Nor what the price difference would be.

The one local jeweler, who was extremely responsive & very personable, immediately came up with some stone possibilities. Those were diamonds in his inventory and not of the quality I was seeking. He came up with some other stone possibilities, but again not what I wanted. However due to his not really knowing the jewelry business, we soon moved on from him and to the current jeweler who has a degree in CAD work.

She has done work for "famous people" and has a very good reputation. We haven't yet seriously discussed any significant details about diamonds with her. Her company claims to only sell the top 5% of all diamonds; whatever that means. However, I wanted to nail down a design (supposedly the easy part) before picking out diamonds.

My research and knowledge about picking out the right diamonds needed refining. I know what I want, but I'm not sure about picking out specific stones; sight unseen.

How does one really pick out diamond on-line without seeing a stone in person? Specs on paper alone don't always tell the whole story, do they? Since I've never done things on-line before, I don't know the ins & outs.

I only found Pricescope after I'd been working with the current jeweler for a couple of months or more. Reading older posts here have provided me with more information so far than anything or anyone else. People here seem to help each other.

If you end up working with this jeweler, we will absolutely help you choose great stones and tell you whether the ones you are being offered are good. You just need to ask for GIA reports. We can eliminate some just by looking at the numbers on the reports. If they are not good enough, we can tell you the specific numbers to tell your jeweler. I don't think they can source superideal cuts unless they carry Hearts on Fire, and those are marked up so much higher than the WF stones would be. I'd just tell the jeweler you are willing to see what they offer as well as the pricing and then decide whether to furnish the stones yourself.

I think, in general, buy diamonds from a place that specializes in the best diamonds. Use a ring designer that is known for high quality and who has made things similar to what you want so that you know they are capable of making it to your standards.

In this case, have you seen much of this jeweler's custom work? Do they have samples in the shop or photos on their website?

I did just happen to see that David Klass posted a new video yesterday of a 5 stone ring similar to what you are wanting. I haven't actually used him for a custom project, but a large number of people here have. There are other great ringmakers, as well.

Screenshot (172).png Screenshot (174).png

starbrite

Shiny_Rock

You were preceptive.

The latest email now says the previous bezel height was 3.5mm and the reworked design is now 4.8mm. I'll post the newest photos soon.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You were preceptive.

The latest email now says the previous bezel height was 3.5mm and the reworked design is now 4.8mm. I'll post the newest photos soon.

I’m really hoping this next CAD works out and that you have a ring on your hand before you know it!

People WILL help you select amazing diamonds - so don’t be shy! Vendors say all sorts of stuff to sell their inventory - so I’d put them through the objective analysis of knowledge PSers.

and I totally get some of the stress - I found the forum right after buying my engagement ring, and have learned so much since about diamonds and ring design. CAD designing can be stressful, and you learn as you go, sometimes after making mistakes. I read on another thread - I wish I could recall which but someone made a really incisive comment - that it can easily look like a lot of people on pricescope just happen to have heirloom quality jewelry by accident or happenstance - but I expect for many it has taken tons of research, mistakes, redesigns, etc. for them to get there.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Your
If you end up working with this jeweler, we will absolutely help you choose great stones and tell you whether the ones you are being offered are good. You just need to ask for GIA reports. We can eliminate some just by looking at the numbers on the reports. If they are not good enough, we can tell you the specific numbers to tell your jeweler. I don't think they can source superideal cuts unless they carry Hearts on Fire, and those are marked up so much higher than the WF stones would be. I'd just tell the jeweler you are willing to see what they offer as well as the pricing and then decide whether to furnish the stones yourself.

I think, in general, buy diamonds from a place that specializes in the best diamonds. Use a ring designer that is known for high quality and who has made things similar to what you want so that you know they are capable of making it to your standards.

In this case, have you seen much of this jeweler's custom work? Do they have samples in the shop or photos on their website?

I did just happen to see that David Klass posted a new video yesterday of a 5 stone ring similar to what you are wanting. I haven't actually used him for a custom project, but a large number of people here have. There are other great ringmakers, as well.

Screenshot (172).png Screenshot (174).png

Your message is very reassuring. I know that I will definitely need some help in picking out my stones.

I didn't realize that only certain vendors had Super Ideal cut stones. Obviously, I prefer not to pay an extra premium for Hearts on Fire. Unless you have unlimited money to spend, paying "more" for the same basic thing doesn't make sense. I think that's why I originally was considering White Flash.

If we continue with the jeweler I'm currently working with, I'll do what you said. Ask about what she suggests. But if nothing is satisfactory (quality or price wise), I'll move to find the stones from another source. I want really nice stones. When thinking 3E's, cut seems to be super important. GIA Excellent Cut can have a large range in what you actually get in diamond performance. I don't want to end up with something less in performance than I was hoping for. At the same time, I don't fully understand how to judge a stone on the Internet.

No, I've never seen this ring designer's work in person. I've always felt at a big disadvantage because of that. My husband found her based on reputation. Unfortunately, COVID concerns have stopped me from getting out to the stores like I normally would have to see first hand examples of her & her bench's work. I like seeing things in person.

I didn't want to start to ring shop by myself a year before our anniversary; back when I probably should have started getting ideas. Instead, I waited because I wanted this whole experience to be a shared experience with my husband. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my husband interested until March - just as the COVID shut down hit. Then, it was too late to do a lot of in person "looking". Based on our previous custom jewelry experiences (done in NYC years ago), my husband assumed we'd be able to get a custom ring made in under 6 weeks & then have it long before our anniversary.

I've seen some of this jeweler's work on-line & her pieces are very pretty. She does a lot of intricate pave work. She also has a devoted following of clients. But I've never seen anything she's made that incorporates channel set, bezel, or trellis designs: all features of interest to me. Still, unlike the local jeweler with the great personality, she does seem to understand jewelry design. Plus she has a lot of rich & famous clients who swear by her. Based on her clients, I assume she must have been able to provide a quality product for them. Her store does specialize in diamonds.

From what I've seen since discovering Pricescope, I do like David Klass's custom bezel rings very much. This new one that you've posted is no exception. So I guess I have a backup plan if the current situation doesn't work out.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Here's the latest renderings.

CompositeBezel9-8-20.jpg

I don't like where the top part of the split shoulder joins directly to the filigree work. It wasn't that way in the extremely low rise renderings. So I immediately contacted the jeweler. Surprise! She then got back to me in under 12 hours.

However, she answered that the band, now attaching to the filigree, is structural & is caused from raising the bezels. It can't be changed.

But she'll see if anything else can be done to change the design. I have no idea where that may be headed. Hopefully, it's somewhere good.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Here's the latest renderings.

CompositeBezel9-8-20.jpg

I don't like where the top part of the split shoulder joins directly to the filigree work. It wasn't that way in the extremely low rise renderings. So I immediately contacted the jeweler. Surprise! She then got back to me in under 12 hours.

However, she answered that the band, now attaching to the filigree, is structural & is caused from raising the bezels. It can't be changed.

But she'll see if anything else can be done to change the design. I have no idea where that may be headed. Hopefully, it's somewhere good.

A lot better. Hmm, I am not the best CAD reader - but I wonder if some of the structural limitations are because of the melee in the shank? A lot of the other examples have a shank that tapers where it meets the bezel, and is much thinner.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the structural limitations are because of the diamonds in the band.

Although I really prefer having the melee, I briefly thought about maybe taking them out. But my husband says he also likes the ring better with them. That means some compromise somewhere will probably have to be made.

The shoulder area was fine with the bezels being lower. But that super low rise design was obviously not acceptable to me. Unfortunately, it seems like every little change has some ripple effect.

I'm not very good at reading a CAD either. The computer program that this jeweler uses also displays things courser than what the actual ring would be. That makes things even harder to interpret for a novice.

Another problem I see in the photos (but don't know if it is actually a problem) is that the diamond tables seem to be set very deep inside the bezel with no hint of stone peeking out. I say I don't know if this is a problem because I don't know if the computer renderings really represent exactly what I'd get. I've asked the jeweler.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the shank is a little too wide. You can certainly have a narrower shank with diamonds than that.

I agree that the tables of the stones should show above the bezels.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I think the shank is a little too wide. You can certainly have a narrower shank with diamonds than that.

I agree that the tables of the stones should show above the bezels.

The band is wider because I chose to go with graduated, channel set side stones; rather than pave. I want this ring to be an everyday ring that I don't have to worry about. Bezel and channel set seemed to fit that bill.

I really do like the tapered, slimmer bands of some of the original vintage designs. However, that would mean getting rid of the channel set stones. The first stone in the shoulder of this ring will be 13 points. Thus, the problem with a smooth connection to the head of the ring.

The ring designer said she can make some sort of change & keep the side diamonds. But I'm back to waiting to hear what that might be.

I looked at my large, solitaire bezel ring (colored gem). The top of that stone definitely peeks out over the bezel. I've worn that ring a lot as an everyday ring & the stone (with a lot more surface showing because it's larger) has been "safe". So I've sent the jeweler another email asking for the 5 stone bezels to be set like that. In the renderings that she's sent me so far, the stones seemed to be sunk beneath the bezels; which I definitely don't want.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I'm starting to feel that I'll never get this 5 stone ring done right. After the bezels were raised, the design has only run into continuing problems.

The latest rendering, that I got from the jeweler today, now has some of the bezels with wonky shapes. This is both very disappointing and disheartening.

I now don't know what to do. I can't accept that. I know I'm picky about what I do and don't like, but lop sided bezels go beyond that.

Because it meant a larger investment, I've already put the 3 stone ring on hold when this jeweler didn't seem to be able to go in the direction I vaguely had in my mind. After almost 4 months of chasing an illusive dream without getting any closer, I thought that was maybe my fault. So it was time to step away from that project for a while.

The 5 stone ring was supposed to be a relatively easy ring to custom create. Now, after allowing this jeweler to go this far, I feel guilty even thinking about taking my project to someone else. I don't know what to do. I want the ring, but I won't accept this deterioration in design work.

Hopefully, the situation looks better after I sleep on it. I have emailed the jeweler about lop sided end bezels. Not just tilted. The bezels themselves are lop sided with the metal being higher on one side than the other. I was so hopeful that the most recent design changes to this ring would be a step closer to my giving the go head to have the actual ring made. Instead, I feel we've moved backwards; plus I'm now very wary of the jeweler's design skills.

Thank you for letting me vent. At the moment, I'm very discouraged.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Definitely do not use this jeweler out of guilt. The ring won’t be what you want

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Definitely do not use this jeweler out of guilt. The ring won’t be what you want

After allowing the current jeweler to go this far, would it be ethical to take this project to another jeweler?

She still claims she can make the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results