shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had a colonoscopy?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I understand your position completely. My point was that having an anesthesiologist doesn't guarantee a better outcome. If I was having something other than light sedation, I would also require an anesthesiologist. But the twilight they put you into for a quick colonoscopy isn't the same thing, imo. My husband's first colonoscopy was done without sedation and he said it was uncomfortable, but not agonizing. I just feel really bad for your Mom and what she went through.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your position completely. My point was that having an anesthesiologist doesn't guarantee a better outcome. If I was having something other than light sedation, I would also require an anesthesiologist. But the twilight they put you into for a quick colonoscopy isn't the same thing, imo. My husband's first colonoscopy was done without sedation and he said it was uncomfortable, but not agonizing. I just feel really bad for your Mom and what she went through.

SandyinAnaheim, you have a wonderful personality. The Golden Retriever in your logo suits you. Is that your current dog? The first dog I had after I was married was a Golden, an angel whom we named Brit (short for Britannia). When I had my last dog, a Newfoundland, I joined a Golden Retriever forum because there was no Newfie forum with a lot of activity. Newfies are the sweetest dogs. It is impossible to argue with a Newfie. They are not as spirited as Goldens, however. But very strong and stoic. :))

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last bit of advice? (and this is more lighthearted than serious, but take it as you will)

Whoever you get to do the knock out, when they come to chat with you as they have always done prior to any procedure I've had, SUCK up to that person. Flirt like your life depends on it. Gender is irrelevant here. Praise them copiously to their faces. Tell them that their specialty is your hands-down favorite, because they are the ones who make it possible for the other doctor to do his/her stuff while you feel and remember nothing. I figure it can't hurt, and besides, I MEAN it, and I think they pick up on it. ;))

This is easier and way more fun if you get one with drop-dead movie-star good looks. I did once, and ayyayi! I had another procedure at the same place about a year later, and alas, he was not there. I quipped to a nurse about having had this hunky guy last time, and she said, "Oh yeah, he's still here, just not today, and oh yeah.....he really IS that good looking isn't he?"

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I snagged one of the nurses to drool openly over her ring while the anesthesiologist did a new IV. BTW, having an IV in your arm if possible is WAY better than hand!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I snagged one of the nurses to drool openly over her ring while the anesthesiologist did a new IV. BTW, having an IV in your arm if possible is WAY better than hand!

No kidding! But nice work if you can get it: they much prefer the hand - and they've told me why, I just can't remember. It's not actually to torture patients, although for some people who've stuck me, I think that aspect might be a perk of the job. :rolleyes: Heaven knows I can be a very grumpy patient, but I'm also very sure to lavish my appreciation on a nurse or phlebotomist whenever they do a good, minimally painful stick.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto dear @Phoenix..I never smoked and rarely drank even when I was in my twenties...just never a fan of alcohol. Always exercised always. Always ate "right" or what I thought was right. Look up the "Plant Paradox" if you haven't heard of it. Anyway it comes down to genetics as well as environment so even if we do everything right (and obviously not smoking and drinking and exercising and eating healthfully has helped us re appearance so that is something). So not baffling as much as luck of the draw in a way...sending healing hugs and thoughts your way.

I love nuts too and miss them especially pistachios and cashews...and LOL re the seeds. You are right. We are not birds.:lol:

You're going to be A OK. You got this and you have lots of love and support on your side plus the knowledge and the skill of good healthcare professionals who know what they are doing. That counts for a lot. (((Hugs))).

That's what's baffling to me, @missy. I have no family history of cancers or gastrointestinal problems. I also read through the Plant Paradox quickly. I rarely eat nightshade vegetables, but will pay more attention to out-of-season fruits, grains etc. (Oh, do cereals count as grains? and incidentally the no-grain thing seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it?). Do you follow this diet at all? I can't help but think actually that a lot of my issues have something to do with my Hashimotos. The immune system is complicated and having one autoimmune disease usually means you're susceptible to so many other problems.;(

{{HUGS}} back to you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will be pleasantly surprised it was very easy...The prep is just unpleasant because you will be spending time in the bathroom but when that’s done..the procedure will be easy. You’ll have an IV put in..answer some questions and they’ll wheel you into the room where they’ll do the procedure. They ask you to turn to your left side..and next thing you know it you’re up and it’s over. Don’t wear any jewelry..Leave it at home..They don’t let you wear any and I wouldn’t trust my husband to hold mine for me..:lol:

Haha, wasn't planning on wearing any bling!:D

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed it is. My husband was knocked out in the dentist's office because of several reasons I won't bore with. And the dentist was good and they did get him knocked out. But for some reason it required more to keep him under and they kept having to give more. He came home in quite a state of yuck - for about 2 days. With the colonoscopy? He was back to normal much sooner. I chalk the differences up to the difference in level of skill, and in this case, even more likely the drugs that a non-anesthesiologist has access to are not as good.

I demand the best of both, the most skill and the best of the modern meds. So let's say, I've had ETHER (and I really have) and fentanyl. I much prefer the latter.

Wow, that's crazy!!

Oh, the Dr said he'd be using a mixture of Dormicum (a small amount) and Propofol. I wonder if I can request for Fentanyl?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no its OK! I have severe reactions to lots of drugs, including asprin + I'm asthmatic and its brought on by alleric reactions. So at times, they look at my chart and scratch their heads....lol
So basically most opiods are off the table as are sulfite containing drugs. Also, codeine and NSAIDS. Some of these allergies were found by trial and error so, if you've never had reactions to any of that stuff, you'll have it easy.

I don't know what the eventual decision was last time, I told them give me something that won't make me sick and let them hash it out:lol-2: I kept hearing "oh we can give her...." followed by a "no, that won't work either"...lol So so important for a anethesiologist who knows their stuff to be in the room for someone like me.

Bottom line, if you do have ANY drug reactions, even some that you don't think that matter, tell them. Totally makes the difference.

Thanks for clarifying, @Arcadian. I am allergic to a few things, so will def let them know.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One last bit of advice? (and this is more lighthearted than serious, but take it as you will)

Whoever you get to do the knock out, when they come to chat with you as they have always done prior to any procedure I've had, SUCK up to that person. Flirt like your life depends on it. Gender is irrelevant here. Praise them copiously to their faces. Tell them that their specialty is your hands-down favorite, because they are the ones who make it possible for the other doctor to do his/her stuff while you feel and remember nothing. I figure it can't hurt, and besides, I MEAN it, and I think they pick up on it. ;))

This is easier and way more fun if you get one with drop-dead movie-star good looks. I did once, and ayyayi! I had another procedure at the same place about a year later, and alas, he was not there. I quipped to a nurse about having had this hunky guy last time, and she said, "Oh yeah, he's still here, just not today, and oh yeah.....he really IS that good looking isn't he?"

Lol. Too funny!:lol:

I will bear that in mind. Anything to help make the whole thing go smoothly.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
SandyinAnaheim, you have a wonderful personality. The Golden Retriever in your logo suits you. Is that your current dog? The first dog I had after I was married was a Golden, an angel whom we named Brit (short for Britannia). When I had my last dog, a Newfoundland, I joined a Golden Retriever forum because there was no Newfie forum with a lot of activity. Newfies are the sweetest dogs. It is impossible to argue with a Newfie. They are not as spirited as Goldens, however. But very strong and stoic. :))

Deb/AGBF :wavey:
Deb, you're funny!! There aren't too many people that would say I have a "wonderful personality", so thank you for that.

The baby in my avatar is a Long-Haired Dachshund, he's the light of my life. I like to say he is a Mini Golden Retriever with no legs actually, because that's what he looks like. =)2 Yes, he is current, 12 yrs old, and rescued after he was dumped at a shelter after being locked in a cage as a breeder his whole life. He lost 40 of his 42 teeth as a result of the neglect. He is even sweeter than he looks and is an absolute angel without wings.

I love Newfies, and Goldens, and all other breeds (except Chows and Akitas). After 30 years in the legal field and a very deep burnout, I finally pursued my dream of working with animals and went to grooming school. Now I work with dogs all day, every day, and I'm the happiest I've ever been, on the work front.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, you're funny!! There aren't too many people that would say I have a "wonderful personality", so thank you for that.

The baby in my avatar is a Long-Haired Dachshund, he's the light of my life. I like to say he is a Mini Golden Retriever with no legs actually, because that's what he looks like. =)2 Yes, he is current, 12 yrs old, and rescued after he was dumped at a shelter after being locked in a cage as a breeder his whole life. He lost 40 of his 42 teeth as a result of the neglect. He is even sweeter than he looks and is an absolute angel without wings.

I love Newfies, and Goldens, and all other breeds (except Chows and Akitas). After 30 years in the legal field and a very deep burnout, I finally pursued my dream of working with animals and went to grooming school. Now I work with dogs all day, every day, and I'm the happiest I've ever been, on the work front.

I am so glad your baby is with you now. My best friend in Maine has ten dogs, most of them rescues. One of them who came from a terrible kill shelter has lost (and had to have removed because they were painful) all his teeth. Shelter life is not good for dogs, but the ones that survive at all are the lucky ones. My current dog came through that system with a bad right hind leg and a terrible scar on his head. He was found wandering in the woods in Oklahoma. Everyone said he was abused by his former owner but no one knew quite how. Finally my vet guessed he might have been hit by a car on his right side and then slid on the road on the left side of his head. I am just glad he was saved. :))

Maybe you can post some photos of your dog in the furbabies thread. That would be great.

Link to thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/random-pictures-stories-of-our-furbabies.183988/page-59

Deb :wavey:

edited to add-I see that you already post to that thread. I remember seeing your logo there, too. I do not remember reading about your dog there, though. Have you ever posted about him?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what's baffling to me, @missy. I have no family history of cancers or gastrointestinal problems. I also read through the Plant Paradox quickly. I rarely eat nightshade vegetables, but will pay more attention to out-of-season fruits, grains etc. (Oh, do cereals count as grains? and incidentally the no-grain thing seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it?). Do you follow this diet at all? I can't help but think actually that a lot of my issues have something to do with my Hashimotos. The immune system is complicated and having one autoimmune disease usually means you're susceptible to so many other problems.;(

{{HUGS}} back to you.

You are right...if you have one AI disease you might have many AI diseases (if not now) at some point and it can be a vicious cycle.

I follow a mainly AIP diet but it is causing me issues with maintaining a healthy weight. It has helped bring my TPOs down. At least I think it has because I only tested TPOs once in my life before my Hashimoto's diagnosis and it was high and then every other time after that it was in the "normal" range but at that point I was following a strict AIP diet. I have had ultrasounds showing nodules on my thyroid and maybe even more significant (because thyroid nodules are not uncommon on middle age women) is my thyroid has a Hashimoto's shape to it according to the ultrasound MD. So it shows I do have Hashimoto's even now with the TPOs in the norm range. But my point is that I am following a mainly AIP diet for my auto immune conditions as it has proven to be helpful to many.

Yes cereals do count as grains I believe. I avoid most grains. I avoid all nightshades. I avoid dairy, gluten, soy. I avoid legumes, beans, seeds and nuts. I stopped avoiding corn however and feel the same so will continue eating non GMO corn because I have given up enough foods IMO.

{My issue now is trying to gain weight as since I started AIP (last winter/spring) I have lost 15 lbs and even with adding corn back having trouble gaining weight without my beloved nuts. I used to eat so many nuts every day and in hindsight it was keeping me at a healthy weight. I am still hovering around 100 lbs which at 5'6" is simply not enough weight. I guess part of me is worried with my super low thyroid that my metabolism will shut down and I will start gaining and not be able to keep at a healthy weight but I know right now I must deal with getting my weight back to 114 lbs.
My latest blood tests show that my free T3 is almost non existent (and my TSH keeps getting higher which means my body is working too hard to keep it going) and my endocrinologist emailed me saying I have to go back on thyroid meds. Ugh. I have not yet been able to tolerate any thyroid meds (causes palpitations) so I am reluctant to start again but seeing him next Wed at 7AM (day before Thanksgiving) so we will see what meds he wants to start me on this time. So even after following an AIP eating plan for the past 8 plus months or so my thyroid has not improved but my antibodies to the thyroid have improved which is a plus so just sharing that it might be helpful but it is not a panacea for everyone though it sure helps many from what I have seen and that is why I am continuing it while adding certain foods back }

Sorry for the threadjack but sharing with you because maybe if you are not following a similar diet you should consider it...it is AIP...stands for Auto Immune Paleo diet and is specifically intended for those of us with AI conditions. It has proven helpful for many individuals with AI diseases like Hashimoto's. One important point to remember it is not a forever diet per se but you are allowed to gradually add foods back and see how you do. It is more like an elimination diet to see what you are sensitive to and continue avoiding those foods while adding the food back you are not reactive to. The challenge is figuring it all out. But the Plant paradox shows that legumes, nuts, dairy, soy etc are very inflammatory to some (not all) people and can contribute to inflammation in the body and autoimmune diseases and thereby eliminating these reactive foods allows our bodies to heal and minimize inflammation and put some of the AI issues in remission.

https://www.saragottfriedmd.com/is-the-autoimmune-protocol-necessary/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320195.php

https://ultimatepaleoguide.com/autoimmune-protocol/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1706230723004914/

HTH. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me @Phoenix.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL all I have to add to this is a loud resounding YES!!!!

When I had my leg surgery my anesthesiologist came to talk to me right before and he was super nice and caring and well I knew I was going to be OK when he said to me that I look so much like his daughter. Despite him being about my age and his daughter being a pre teen. But hahaha I knew I was golden then. And it didn't hurt that I was super scared and he could tell I was (never having been under anesthesia for so many hours before and I was imaging all the worst case scenarios one being I would never wake up from the surgery...all detailed in my NIRDI thread ad nauseam lol) and he took both my hands into his hands and he said I am going to be OK. He would make sure I was going to be OK. And I was! And he came to visit me every day I was in the hospital and I was there for 3 nights and 4 days. He visited me every day.

So I am echoing @ksinger's wise advice. Be nice to your anesthesiologist and I will go one further. Be nice to EVERYONE in the hospital. The nurses can make or break you IMO and they work so hard so be doubly nice to them too. They have a thankless (for the most part) job and people can treat them like cra* compared to the surgeons etc. They rock and deserve respect and admiration and many many thank yous for all they do. Just adding my thoughts to Karen's since we are discussing the topic of being nice to our healthcare professionals not only because our life is in their hands (literally) but because they work hard and deserve it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being nice is always good, but there are times when even that doesn't work. Clearly you've not had the phlebotomist you felt compelled to name Mrs. Torquemada. I have. A horrible experience with a horrible woman - TWICE, so I know her rottenness was not a one-off.

While the vast majority are truly decent people, there are a few actual sadists who slip under the radar.

My "niceness" usually starts to erode with every extra failed attempt to take blood or start an IV. It erodes more when they try to blame ME for their lack of skill, or show disdain for the level of unnecessary pain they're inflicting while they rootle around in your arm, or HAND - you'd be surprised how often that does happen - meaning, way more often than it should.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being nice is always good, but there are times when even that doesn't work. Clearly you've not had the phlebotomist you felt compelled to name Mrs. Torquemada. I have. A horrible experience with a horrible woman - TWICE, so I know her rottenness was not a one-off.

While the vast majority are truly decent people, there are a few actual sadists who slip under the radar.

My "niceness" usually starts to erode with every extra failed attempt to take blood or start an IV. It erodes more when they try to blame ME for their lack of skill, or show disdain for the level of unnecessary pain they're inflicting while they rootle around in your arm, or HAND - you'd be surprised how often that does happen - meaning, way more often than it should.

Yes, there are *always* exceptions and I agree completely. When someone has shown themselves to be sadistic in behavior that is time to find another health care professional STAT.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right...if you have one AI disease you might have many AI diseases (if not now) at some point and it can be a vicious cycle.

I follow a mainly AIP diet but it is causing me issues with maintaining a healthy weight. It has helped bring my TPOs down. At least I think it has because I only tested TPOs once in my life before my Hashimoto's diagnosis and it was high and then every other time after that it was in the "normal" range but at that point I was following a strict AIP diet. I have had ultrasounds showing nodules on my thyroid and maybe even more significant (because thyroid nodules are not uncommon on middle age women) is my thyroid has a Hashimoto's shape to it according to the ultrasound MD. So it shows I do have Hashimoto's even now with the TPOs in the norm range. But my point is that I am following a mainly AIP diet for my auto immune conditions as it has proven to be helpful to many.

Yes cereals do count as grains I believe. I avoid most grains. I avoid all nightshades. I avoid dairy, gluten, soy. I avoid legumes, beans, seeds and nuts. I stopped avoiding corn however and feel the same so will continue eating non GMO corn because I have given up enough foods IMO.

{My issue now is trying to gain weight as since I started AIP (last winter/spring) I have lost 15 lbs and even with adding corn back having trouble gaining weight without my beloved nuts. I used to eat so many nuts every day and in hindsight it was keeping me at a healthy weight. I am still hovering around 100 lbs which at 5'6" is simply not enough weight. I guess part of me is worried with my super low thyroid that my metabolism will shut down and I will start gaining and not be able to keep at a healthy weight but I know right now I must deal with getting my weight back to 114 lbs.
My latest blood tests show that my free T3 is almost non existent (and my TSH keeps getting higher which means my body is working too hard to keep it going) and my endocrinologist emailed me saying I have to go back on thyroid meds. Ugh. I have not yet been able to tolerate any thyroid meds (causes palpitations) so I am reluctant to start again but seeing him next Wed at 7AM (day before Thanksgiving) so we will see what meds he wants to start me on this time. So even after following an AIP eating plan for the past 8 plus months or so my thyroid has not improved but my antibodies to the thyroid have improved which is a plus so just sharing that it might be helpful but it is not a panacea for everyone though it sure helps many from what I have seen and that is why I am continuing it while adding certain foods back }

Sorry for the threadjack but sharing with you because maybe if you are not following a similar diet you should consider it...it is AIP...stands for Auto Immune Paleo diet and is specifically intended for those of us with AI conditions. It has proven helpful for many individuals with AI diseases like Hashimoto's. One important point to remember it is not a forever diet per se but you are allowed to gradually add foods back and see how you do. It is more like an elimination diet to see what you are sensitive to and continue avoiding those foods while adding the food back you are not reactive to. The challenge is figuring it all out. But the Plant paradox shows that legumes, nuts, dairy, soy etc are very inflammatory to some (not all) people and can contribute to inflammation in the body and autoimmune diseases and thereby eliminating these reactive foods allows our bodies to heal and minimize inflammation and put some of the AI issues in remission.

https://www.saragottfriedmd.com/is-the-autoimmune-protocol-necessary/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320195.php

https://ultimatepaleoguide.com/autoimmune-protocol/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1706230723004914/

HTH. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me @Phoenix.

Thank you, @missy, for all that very helpful information.

I looked up the AIP diet and I have to say that a lot of these are already excluded from my diet, most simply bc I don't really eat them, like nightshade vegetables (barring the occasional tomatoes, which I used primarily in pasta sauces), seeds, processed foods, alcohol, beans, tapioca etc....And I've also recently cut out on nuts bc I knew that they were / are inflammatory. But cutting out dairy (which I do not consume that much, since I am lactose-intolerant) and eggs are gonna be a bit difficult. Cheese and butter, I have little problem, though I do like me some very sharp cheddar cheese from time to time...Ah well...I didn't realise that seeds included cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds. Do they literally mean seeds in their whole form or can you consume the powder form? Oh oh, does this mean peanut butter is also out too? I have that everyday for b/fast. I just realised that if I cut out on PB, cheese, eggs, cereal, there's nothing I can actually eat for b/fast!! And fruit, they say 2 pieces of fruit are allowed...so what counts as one piece? Is one whole medium-sized apple considered one piece, or do you need to cut it up? and sweet potatoes - they're not considered a nightshade, right?

Wow, yes, your weight is on the low side. Please try and put some back on. I'm now 110lbs (on a 5'2" frame) and have been for some time now. Before I got sick and trained with heavy weights, a lot of that was muscles but I now suspect that most of it is fat!;(. I need to re-start my weight training regime and burn some of that fat/ regain my muscles.

How can you not be on any thyroid medication? :o. Keep me updated after your appt next Wed please. It is interesting that you've managed to keep the antibodies levels down with the AIP diet. My antibodies (at approx 400-600) are the only indicator that I have Hashimotos, everything else is within normal range.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @missy, for all that very helpful information.

I looked up the AIP diet and I have to say that a lot of these are already excluded from my diet, most simply bc I don't really eat them, like nightshade vegetables (barring the occasional tomatoes, which I used primarily in pasta sauces), seeds, processed foods, alcohol, beans, tapioca etc....And I've also recently cut out on nuts bc I knew that they were / are inflammatory. But cutting out dairy (which I do not consume that much, since I am lactose-intolerant) and eggs are gonna be a bit difficult. Cheese and butter, I have little problem, though I do like me some very sharp cheddar cheese from time to time...Ah well...I didn't realise that seeds included cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds. Do they literally mean seeds in their whole form or can you consume the powder form? Oh oh, does this mean peanut butter is also out too? I have that everyday for b/fast. I just realised that if I cut out on PB, cheese, eggs, cereal, there's nothing I can actually eat for b/fast!! And fruit, they say 2 pieces of fruit are allowed...so what counts as one piece? Is one whole medium-sized apple considered one piece, or do you need to cut it up? and sweet potatoes - they're not considered a nightshade, right?

Wow, yes, your weight is on the low side. Please try and put some back on. I'm now 110lbs (on a 5'2" frame) and have been for some time now. Before I got sick and trained with heavy weights, a lot of that was muscles but I now suspect that most of it is fat!;(. I need to re-start my weight training regime and burn some of that fat/ regain my muscles.

How can you not be on any thyroid medication? :o. Keep me updated after your appt next Wed please. It is interesting that you've managed to keep the antibodies levels down with the AIP diet. My antibodies (at approx 400-600) are the only indicator that I have Hashimotos, everything else is within normal range.

Phoenix, I am very sorry to have to say that Peanut butter is inflammatory (for some/many?) and is on the no go list for AIP. But perhaps it isn't inflammatory for you and if you decide to follow the AIP strictly for the first few months (or less time might be needed for you) and then add it back you can see if it is a problem or hopefully not a problem for you.

Peanuts though are one of the worst offenders in terms of inflammatory nuts. I am very sorry because I love peanut butter and I love peanuts. I used to eat so much PB but realized it did not agree with me over a decade ago. And same for eggs. Can be very inflammatory for some individuals.

Sweet potatoes are A OK. Depending on who you read you might want to limit the carbs but I go for it re the carbs as I feel better when I eat carbs. So I am eating lots of sweet potatoes. LOL I am surprised I do not look like a sweet potato at this point.:lol: I only buy organic. As for seeds in powder form vs whole form I *think* it is seeds in any form...but not 100% sure about that.

And like you was eating along the lines of an AIP diet without realizing it but when I read all about the Plant Paradox and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and Hypothyroidism (luckily doesn't sound like you are hypothyroid yay!) I decided I would give the AIP a try. It was challenging for me as my diet was lots of nuts and legumes and some soy and yes I occasionally enjoyed bread. :(sad But I had not eaten dairy for a long while so that wasn't too hard. Yes I do miss cheese and ice cream though.

Anyway if you don't mind giving up the things that are not AIP compliant for a short while (and again the AIP diet is not meant forever but just for giving these foods up for a while and adding some back slowly one by one and seeing if you react) and see how it goes when you add it back I say try it because it could get your antibodies back to the "normal" range. That might be all you need. There are various other complications one must consider if the AIP does not provide relief of certain symptoms and that could mean underlying infections but that is for another topic.

To answer your fruit query it depends on who you read/ask. I say one apple = one piece of fruit but don't go crazy with that unless you feel you react to fruit. I generally have at least two pieces of fruit a day (apple and banana) but during the summer when more fresh fruit is available I have more and that is OK (for me). In fact I add calories (when I can but mainly did this in summer as it was easier) by making fresh fruit organic smoothies adding in protein and some other ingredients I need. I advise only buying organic fruit. Even bananas I now only buy organic because it is better safe than sorry and the pesticides can wreak havoc on our bodies. You and I may be more sensitive than the general population.

Yes against my doctor's wishes I am not on thyroid meds but he already informed me I really have no choice at this point as my thyroid is barely functioning and I have to go on meds. So I will be trying it again and I am apprehensive to say the least. The meds (in various forms) caused palpitations when I was on them and I tried all the different meds for many months and started slow. But somehow after time the palps started. I believe I was pooling the meds and not absorbing them and they were causing heart palpitations.

From my research it seems because my iron and ferritin are out of whack as is my adrenal system complicated reactions are occurring in turn not allowing me to absorb the thyroid meds. And all related to my genetic mutations which seem to be activated at this point. Simplifying it as best I can but this is not the whole picture I do not methylate the B vitamins and my homozygous mutations can inhibit MTHFR enyzme function by up to 70% which that sets off a whole host of other issues. It is so complex and many endocrinologists aren't up on the latest re these issues though most admit yes there is still much to learn here. But it is all connected and all related. My guess in long after we are gone they will know so much more about this relatively "new" area. The wheels move super slow in the medical research field re genetics.

I read a few books on the topic (if you are interested they are the "Stop the Thyroid Madness books I and II as well as the Izabella Wentz Hashimoto's books) and mainstream medicine still hasn't embraced these principles though my endocrinologist admits there is something to them. He just is wary of experimenting with me. So I am not sure what the appointment will bring but I am hoping it will bring something helpful for me.

I am following your journey and hope you keep finding answers that prove helpful for you and bring you complete relief. I know we can do it @Phoenix and I am here for you however I can be...sending continued healing wishes and hugs your way. You rock girl in more ways than one.
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix this is relatively basic but might still be helpful. Just FYI
Trying to copy and paste from my phone. Hope this works.

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2018/11/...0-tips-menopause-article&utm_campaign=content

Are you experiencing hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, or mood swings? Chances are you are on what I like to call “the menopause spectrum”.

Of course, menopause doesn’t happen from one day to the next. The months or years leading up to it are known as perimenopause, during which you can experience menstrual changes and irregularities, as well as an array of symptoms. This roller-coaster of symptoms is a sign of declining estrogen and other hormonal fluctuations, and can be tiresome, frustrating, and anxiety-producing.

The journey from perimenopause to menopause is a rocky road, to say the least. I’m currently going through perimenopause myself, so I know how you feel! Everything started changing when I turned 46, and even now at 49 I still go through plenty of ups and downs with symptoms coming and going erratically.

However, I have some good news for you! By supporting your health with changes to your diet and lifestyle, you can ease the transition and decrease uncomfortable symptoms during your menopause journey.

How Do I Know When I’m in Menopause?
Menopause is a natural biological process that happens when your ovaries stop producing estrogen and progesterone, marking the end of your menstrual cycle. When you experience 12 months without a period, you have officially reached menopause. Menopause can happen in your 40s or 50s, usually after age 45.1,2

Symptoms of the Menopause Spectrum:3,4
  • Irregular periods
  • Hot flashes
  • Night sweats
  • Chills
  • Sleep problems
  • Vaginal dryness
  • Mood changes
  • Weight gain
  • Slowed metabolism
  • Thinning hair
  • Dry skin
  • Loss of breast fullness
  • Bone loss
Menopause may also increase your risk of thyroid dysfunction and autoimmune conditions.5 Many of my female patients tend to experience an onset of these conditions during this turning point in their lives.

While menopause is an inevitable and natural part of your life, it doesn’t mean that you have to deal with uncomfortable symptoms and other health issues during and after this time. The following lifestyle strategies and powerful supplements can reduce or even eliminate your symptoms, and support your hormonal and overall health during menopause.

10 Tips to Support Your Health During Menopause and Perimenopause
1. Repair Your Gut
Your gut is the gateway to health. An imbalance of gut flora, known as dysbiosis, along with gut infections such as SIBO and Candida overgrowth can lead to a leaky gut which increases inflammation and compromises your body’s ability to absorb nutrients. This can lead to hormonal imbalance, exacerbating the hormonal changes you are already experiencing due to menopause. All this imbalance leads to increased menopausal symptoms.

Repairing your gut is essential to reduce inflammation and improve your ability to absorb nutrients properly, and as a result, reduce your menopausal symptoms and support your overall health.

To repair your gut, I recommend using the 4R approach, which you can learn more about here.

2. Remove Toxic & Trigger Foods
If you are eating a diet high in refined sugar and processed foods, it can lead to sharp rises and dips in blood sugar leading to fatigue and irritability. According to research, eating too many refined carbohydrates can even increase depression in postmenopausal women.6Processed foods can also lead to poor bone quality among women aged 50 to 59.7 These toxic foods increase inflammation in your body that disrupt your hormonal health and increase your menopause symptoms. Certain foods, including sugary and spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine can also trigger hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings.

In addition the above toxic foods, I also recommend eliminating gluten and dairyfrom your diet. These highly inflammatory foods can trigger an autoimmune condition or thyroid dysfunction, and should be avoided at all costs.

There are also a number of seemingly harmless foods (such as nightshades, citrus, or eggs) that you could potentially react to if you develop a food sensitivityduring this time. Keeping a food journal to track the food you eat and your symptoms can help you identify your personal trigger foods. Once you identify your triggers, remove them from your diet. An elimination diet can help you discover underlying food sensitivities and foods that are triggering your menopausal symptoms.

3. Eat Regular Meals
Many women experience weight gain or difficulty losing weight during menopause. This is not the time to restrict and skip meals, however. Irregular eating can hinder your weight loss efforts and may make your other symptoms worse as well.8 Eating regular meals is very important to keep your body in balance, energized, and healthy. Taking digestive enzymes can help improve slowed digestion you may be experiencing during menopause.

Eating protein throughout the day will keep you full and satisfied, and can help you achieve your weight loss goals and slow down muscle loss that comes with aging.9,10 I recommend grass-fed, pastured meat, and wild-caught fish in order the ensure you get plenty of high-quality protein. My Paleo Protein Powderis another quick, convenient way to meet your protein needs, and can be easily added to add to your smoothies, shakes, and recipes.

4. Choose Hormone-Supporting Foods
During menopause, your body is going through some serious hormonal changes that can lead to hot flashes and other uncomfortable symptoms.

Some of your symptoms may also be a result of thyroid dysfunction which, as I mentioned above, is very common during menopause. Your thyroid is a gland that secretes hormones that control your metabolism and support important bodily functions, including breathing, heart rate, muscle strength, and your menstrual cycle.11 It is your body’s engine that powers you and helps keep everything working smoothly. When your thyroid is not functioning optimally, your metabolism slows way down and you can experience weight gain, fatigue, low libido, and brain fog.

Many women also experience estrogen dominance during the years leading up to menopause. This is when your progesterone levels have dropped significantly and your estrogen levels have not yet decreased, causing an imbalance of these key reproductive hormones. You can read more about estrogen dominance here.

Eating hormone-balancing foods and supplementing with essential nutrientsthat may be depleted during this time is a simple and surefire way to reduce or even prevent uncomfortable menopause symptoms.12

Hormone-balancing foods:

• Healthy fats, such as avocados, coconut oil, coconut butter, and olive oil
  • High-quality protein, such as grass-fed, pastured meat, and wild-caught fish
  • Fiber-rich vegetables
  • Leafy greens, such as kale13
  • Cherries14
  • Cranberries
  • Maca root
  • Passionflower
  • Black cohosh
  • Motherwort
Nutrients that support your thyroid health:

• Iodine
  • Selenium
  • Iron
  • Zinc
During menopause, maintaining hormonal balance is crucial. My Organic Greens™powder is an easy way to get plenty of these hormone-supporting foods into your diet. This superfood juice powder is filled with hormone-balancing foods such as kale and maca, along with 12 other powerful, certified organic plant foods.

If you are dealing with estrogen dominance, you may also benefit from taking EstroProtect, a supplement I designed to support healthy estrogen balance and immunity.

5. Eat a Nutrient-Dense Diet
According to research,eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help reduce menopausal symptoms, build strong bones, and prevent bone loss, which is extremely common during menopause. A nutrient-dense diet can help you maintain a healthy weight while effectively fighting menopausal weight gain. It can also prevent heart disease, which is much more common among women after menopause than before due to reduced estrogen, weight gain, and age.15,16

For simple yet delicious recipe ideas to support your health during menopause, I recommend my Autoimmune Solution Cookbook, which is filled with delicious, nutrient-dense, autoimmune-friendly, and thyroid-supporting recipes.

6. Supplement with Vitamin D and Calcium
Hormonal changes due to menopause can weaken your bones, increasing your risk of osteoporosis.

Vitamin D and calcium are both essential for bone health. Research has shown that having an adequate level of vitamin D is associated with lower risk of weak bones and hip fractures in postmenopausal women.17

While a daily dose of sunlight ideally should be your main source of vitamin D, if you spend a lot of time indoors or live in a less sunny climate, chances are that you are not getting enough. I have done nutritional testing on thousands of patients and of those who were not supplementing, virtually all were deficient in vitamin D. For this reason, I recommend a vitamin D supplement, such as my Vitamin D3/K2 Liquid, which includes vitamin D3 and K2. These two nutrients work together to ensure that calcium finds its way into your bones where it belongs, rather than remaining in your bloodstream.

Conventional wisdom would have you believe that dairy products are the best source of dietary calcium. However, considering dairy is chock-full of hormones that would only exacerbate your menopausal symptoms (among other harmful side-effects), I don’t recommend eating dairy for your calcium. So unless you are eating tons of leafy greens, it can be challenging to get enough calcium levels from diet alone. To ensure optimal calcium levels, my Bone Health Kit includes a bottle of super bioavailable calcium from grass-fed New Zealand cows, along with my Vitamin D3/K2 Liquid.

7. Drink Plenty of Water
Women in menopause often experience dryness as a result of decreased estrogen levels. You may also experience bloating due to hormonal changes. Drinking eight to twelve glasses of filtered water a day can help with these symptoms. Drinking plenty of water can also speed up your metabolism, increase the feeling of fullness, reduce overeating, and consequently help you maintain a healthy weight.18,19

8. Exercise Regularly
Research has found that exercising only three hours a week for one year improved the physical and mental health, as well as the overall quality of life, of menopausal women.20 Further research has found that yoga is particularly beneficial for reducing menopausal symptoms.21

Exercise can provide you with many health benefits, including reduced stress, better sleep, and healthier bones and joints.22,23 Staying active can also lower your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, obesity, osteoporosis, diabetes, and cancer.24,25,26

9. Support Your Mood and Mental Health
The hormonal changes associated with menopause can lead to mood imbalances. The good news is that you can support your mood and mental health with food and lifestyle strategies.

Nutrients and food that support your mood:

• Vitamin D: fatty fish, grass-fed or pasture-raised meat, organ meats, spirulina, wild mushrooms, and bee pollen
  • Omega-3s: grass-fed meats, wild-caught salmon, flax and chia oil
  • B Vitamins: leafy greens, root veggies,fresh and dried fruits, seafood, and avocados
  • Magnesium: dark leafy greens, seaweed, figs, fish, avocado, and bananas
  • Amino Acids: Paleo Protein and collagen
  • Zinc: oysters, seafood, lamb, grass-fed beef
  • Iron: red meat, shellfish, organ meat, dark leafy greens
  • Selenium: garlic, turkey, liver, red meat, spinach, and bananas
In addition to nutrients in food, there are a number of supplements that contain nutrients to help support your mood and mental health. I recommend supplementing with Complete Omega-3 Softgels, Methylation Support, and NeuroCalm Magnesium for promoting optimal stress relief. Ashwagandha in my Organic Greens™ Superfood Juice Powder also encourages stress relief by enhancing relaxation and supporting your mood. In addition, Organic Greens™ is also rich in nutrient-dense vegetables and superfoods that can support your mental and physical health.

Lifestyle changes that support your mood:

• Exercise regularly.27
  • Relieve your stress. Yoga, tai-chi, meditation, journaling, coloring, affirmations, and relaxation exercises are all beneficial.
  • Spend time in nature.
  • Cultivate quality relationships through family, friendships, and community.
  • Develop hobbies you enjoy.
  • Volunteer.28
  • Get plenty of sleep.
10. Support Your Sleep
I can’t stress enough how important sleepis for lowering your stress levels, supporting your mood, and maintaining a healthy weight. These are areas in which menopausal women often struggle. Getting regular sleep of seven to eight hours a night is important to support your health through menopause and to reduce your menopausal symptoms.29 You can read about my personal evening routine here for some ideas on how to support your own sleep.

If you find that you are STILL tired even after getting a full night’s sleep, it may be the result of your diet, stress, or adrenal fatigue.

Eating processed sugar and drinking coffee throughout the day can lead to sugar crashes and fatigue. And, if you are not eating a diet rich in nutrient-dense foods, such as vegetables, fruits, lean protein, and healthy fats your body won’t be able to support you for a full day activity.

Chronic stress can also be to blame for low mood and tiredness. Aromatherapy can be a powerful ally to combat stress and encourage restorative sleep. Lavender has been shown to be an effective treatment menopausal symptoms that can keep you up at night, such as hot flashes and depression. Using lavender as aromatherapy reduces restlessness and disturbed sleep, and can enhance your general well-being and quality of life.30

Finally, if you think you might be dealing with adrenal fatigue, I recommend my Adrenal Support supplement, a cutting edge blend of adaptogenic herbs, to support a healthy stress response, mood, sleep, libido, immune system, blood sugar, and more.

Menopause is a natural part of a women’s life that comes with many hormonal changes (and challenges). Fortunately, by following these ten hormone-supporting dietary and lifestyle strategies, you can reduce or even eliminate your menopausal symptoms, and achieve optimal health during and after menopause.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add I’m not endorsing Dr. Myer’s products but sharing what she writes as much of it is true and useful info. I have not purchased any of her products. I buy what I feel are high quality supplements etc and those come from many different sources. HTH.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my colonoscopy and gastroscopy are tomorrow morning. I've gone against the traditional wisdom and have done a light residue diet today, ending with lunch. Scrambled eggs and a coffee with milk for breakfast and some greek yoghurt and honey for lunch. Came to about 800 calories. I'll stick to water from this point onwards.

If you're interested in this approach, you'll find a growing body of literature, starting around 2011, on the topic. Here's one article on it, but there's a lot.

https://consumer.healthday.com/canc...no-eating-rule-before-colonoscopy-711227.html

if this works out ok, I'll never go back to fasting for a whole day beforehand (which ends up being 36 hours, in actuality); according to this article, people who ate a light, low residue diet, coped better with the procedure and had cleaner bowels to boot. Low residue foods liquify in the stomach, so actually commence the cleaning out process for you before the prep.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add - speaking as someone who was badly intubated during a surgery about 15 years ago, and had to have their neck slit open in an emergency procedure to drain the edema so I could breathe, I can speak knowledgeably to the idea of being nice to your anesthesiologist. Before any procedure I have, I always insist on meeting mine, and I make a point of telling them: "I just want you to know that I believe you're the most important person in the room. Please remember that I'm relying on you more than anyone else."

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add - speaking as someone who was badly intubated during a surgery about 15 years ago, and had to have their neck slit open in an emergency procedure to drain the edema so I could breathe, I can speak knowledgeably to the idea of being nice to your anesthesiologist. Before any procedure I have, I always insist on meeting mine, and I make a point of telling them: "I just want you to know that I believe you're the most important person in the room. Please remember that I'm relying on you more than anyone else."

:shock:

May I ask what happened? If you feel comfortable mind sharing; it not, no worries.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, I am very sorry to have to say that Peanut butter is inflammatory (for some/many?) and is on the no go list for AIP. But perhaps it isn't inflammatory for you and if you decide to follow the AIP strictly for the first few months (or less time might be needed for you) and then add it back you can see if it is a problem or hopefully not a problem for you.

Peanuts though are one of the worst offenders in terms of inflammatory nuts. I am very sorry because I love peanut butter and I love peanuts. I used to eat so much PB but realized it did not agree with me over a decade ago. And same for eggs. Can be very inflammatory for some individuals.

Sweet potatoes are A OK. Depending on who you read you might want to limit the carbs but I go for it re the carbs as I feel better when I eat carbs. So I am eating lots of sweet potatoes. LOL I am surprised I do not look like a sweet potato at this point.:lol: I only buy organic. As for seeds in powder form vs whole form I *think* it is seeds in any form...but not 100% sure about that.

And like you was eating along the lines of an AIP diet without realizing it but when I read all about the Plant Paradox and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and Hypothyroidism (luckily doesn't sound like you are hypothyroid yay!) I decided I would give the AIP a try. It was challenging for me as my diet was lots of nuts and legumes and some soy and yes I occasionally enjoyed bread. :(sad But I had not eaten dairy for a long while so that wasn't too hard. Yes I do miss cheese and ice cream though.

Anyway if you don't mind giving up the things that are not AIP compliant for a short while (and again the AIP diet is not meant forever but just for giving these foods up for a while and adding some back slowly one by one and seeing if you react) and see how it goes when you add it back I say try it because it could get your antibodies back to the "normal" range. That might be all you need. There are various other complications one must consider if the AIP does not provide relief of certain symptoms and that could mean underlying infections but that is for another topic.

To answer your fruit query it depends on who you read/ask. I say one apple = one piece of fruit but don't go crazy with that unless you feel you react to fruit. I generally have at least two pieces of fruit a day (apple and banana) but during the summer when more fresh fruit is available I have more and that is OK (for me). In fact I add calories (when I can but mainly did this in summer as it was easier) by making fresh fruit organic smoothies adding in protein and some other ingredients I need. I advise only buying organic fruit. Even bananas I now only buy organic because it is better safe than sorry and the pesticides can wreak havoc on our bodies. You and I may be more sensitive than the general population.

Yes against my doctor's wishes I am not on thyroid meds but he already informed me I really have no choice at this point as my thyroid is barely functioning and I have to go on meds. So I will be trying it again and I am apprehensive to say the least. The meds (in various forms) caused palpitations when I was on them and I tried all the different meds for many months and started slow. But somehow after time the palps started. I believe I was pooling the meds and not absorbing them and they were causing heart palpitations.

From my research it seems because my iron and ferritin are out of whack as is my adrenal system complicated reactions are occurring in turn not allowing me to absorb the thyroid meds. And all related to my genetic mutations which seem to be activated at this point. Simplifying it as best I can but this is not the whole picture I do not methylate the B vitamins and my homozygous mutations can inhibit MTHFR enyzme function by up to 70% which that sets off a whole host of other issues. It is so complex and many endocrinologists aren't up on the latest re these issues though most admit yes there is still much to learn here. But it is all connected and all related. My guess in long after we are gone they will know so much more about this relatively "new" area. The wheels move super slow in the medical research field re genetics.

I read a few books on the topic (if you are interested they are the "Stop the Thyroid Madness books I and II as well as the Izabella Wentz Hashimoto's books) and mainstream medicine still hasn't embraced these principles though my endocrinologist admits there is something to them. He just is wary of experimenting with me. So I am not sure what the appointment will bring but I am hoping it will bring something helpful for me.

I am following your journey and hope you keep finding answers that prove helpful for you and bring you complete relief. I know we can do it @Phoenix and I am here for you however I can be...sending continued healing wishes and hugs your way. You rock girl in more ways than one.
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

Ok, so I am making an earnest start to my new AIP diet today. I stopped with the PB and am now excluding all nuts and seeds from my diet, barring a few strands (not seeds) of chillies - for flavour. I had my slice of bread with a little organic honey this morning. Oh, you mentioned bread - is that not allowed?

I'm stopping all dairy from now on too, though no eggs will certainly be a struggle. And I will miss my ice-cream.

Will try to buy organic. It's actually hard to get everything organic here bc 1) not everything is available in organic form, and 2) they're horrendously expensive here. I remember seeing organic produce in the UK and France, and their prices are much closer to non-organic produce. The organic "trend" (for lack of a better term) has not really caught on here yet, unfortunately.

I will try and follow a strict AIP diet. Will slowly introduce a few back in due course, but I really want to try it and see if it'll bring down my antibodies levels. Anyway, I already knew nuts were inflammatory and have been cutting them out. I figure I'd rather swap these foods for better health.

I must admit though I don't fully understand your smaller text . I will read up on your other thread and will read up the literature you quoted too. I keep seeing the reference to Isabelle Wentz book. Will read it. Oh btw, are you on this forum?
https://www.smartpatients.com/conve...ke.&utm_medium=digest&utm_source=email#unread

I am waiting eagerly to hear the update after your Wed appt. I too am keeping you in my thoughts and hope you'll get relief soon.

{{HUGS}} sweet Missy! x

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my colonoscopy and gastroscopy are tomorrow morning. I've gone against the traditional wisdom and have done a light residue diet today, ending with lunch. Scrambled eggs and a coffee with milk for breakfast and some greek yoghurt and honey for lunch. Came to about 800 calories. I'll stick to water from this point onwards.

If you're interested in this approach, you'll find a growing body of literature, starting around 2011, on the topic. Here's one article on it, but there's a lot.

https://consumer.healthday.com/canc...no-eating-rule-before-colonoscopy-711227.html

if this works out ok, I'll never go back to fasting for a whole day beforehand (which ends up being 36 hours, in actuality); according to this article, people who ate a light, low residue diet, coped better with the procedure and had cleaner bowels to boot. Low residue foods liquify in the stomach, so actually commence the cleaning out process for you before the prep.

Thank you, @mrs-b. That's very helpful.

I'm off dairy though. So will need to find a suitable alternative.

Good luck with your procedure tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. x

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @mrs-b. That's very helpful.

I'm off dairy though. So will need to find a suitable alternative.

Good luck with your procedure tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. x

Well, yes. Of course. But this is what I did. If you're interested enough in this as an idea, read the article and pick your own path. It's way better than the long fast tho.

And thank you for the kind wishes. This procedure is a great big bore, but I'm taking a large homemade slice of apple pie to eat in recovery. :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry, but this attitude makes no sense. If you had problems with anesthesiologists who are the most highly trained people in giving anesthesia, you should (in my opinion, of course) have sought even better trained anesthesiologists, not retreated to letting less qualified people give you anesthesia
when you needed surgery again.

Using someone other than a licensed anesthesiologist is, in my opinion, an invitation to getting someone who is "less skilled" than "some others".

One never knows how good an anesthesiologist will be, unless one is an anesthesiologist oneself and knows the field well, but one can bet on the odds. I have a good friend who is an anesthesiologist and whose first wife was also an anesthesiologist. He said to me unequivocally that he wouldn't let just anyone give him anesthesia.

I am about to have surgery. I was told I was going to have "general anesthesia". I started asking if the anesthesiologists at the hospital were all licensed. My internist, to whom I was sent for a pre-op physical, didn't know. He "guessed" they were. So I went to the surgeon. I won't go into all my details. (It won't actually be general anesthesia, just not light sedation. But I will have a licensed anesthesiologist.)

I may die (of course I have been told it is highly unlikely), but I really want to make the very, very best choices at every juncture.

AGBF

Good luck with your surgery, Deb. Hope all goes well.

And I agree with you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, yes. Of course. But this is what I did. If you're interested enough in this as an idea, read the article and pick your own path. It's way better than the long fast tho.

And thank you for the kind wishes. This procedure is a great big bore, but I'm taking a large homemade slice of apple pie to eat in recovery. :))

I will def read it. Thank you.

And now I am craving apple pie!:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix gluten can be very inflammatory and most bread has gluten. Traditional wheat products such as pastas, breads, crackers, and other baked goods are not gluten-free. However, there are many gluten-free options available that use alternative flours and grains. Hope that helps. I have not yet tried any of the alternative flours and grains as I just prefer to do without but this Thanksgiving my dh is making a few traditional dishes with alternative ingredients to keep them gluten free for me and I will let you know how it goes.

I have never seen that forum before and will check it out. Thanks for the link.

Thank you for all your good wishes dear @Phoenix.
Good luck on doing AIP and it gets much easier after the first week or so. (((HUGS))).

Ok, so I am making an earnest start to my new AIP diet today. I stopped with the PB and am now excluding all nuts and seeds from my diet, barring a few strands (not seeds) of chillies - for flavour. I had my slice of bread with a little organic honey this morning. Oh, you mentioned bread - is that not allowed?

I'm stopping all dairy from now on too, though no eggs will certainly be a struggle. And I will miss my ice-cream.

Will try to buy organic. It's actually hard to get everything organic here bc 1) not everything is available in organic form, and 2) they're horrendously expensive here. I remember seeing organic produce in the UK and France, and their prices are much closer to non-organic produce. The organic "trend" (for lack of a better term) has not really caught on here yet, unfortunately.

I will try and follow a strict AIP diet. Will slowly introduce a few back in due course, but I really want to try it and see if it'll bring down my antibodies levels. Anyway, I already knew nuts were inflammatory and have been cutting them out. I figure I'd rather swap these foods for better health.

I must admit though I don't fully understand your smaller text . I will read up on your other thread and will read up the literature you quoted too. I keep seeing the reference to Isabelle Wentz book. Will read it. Oh btw, are you on this forum?
https://www.smartpatients.com/conve...ke.&utm_medium=digest&utm_source=email#unread

I am waiting eagerly to hear the update after your Wed appt. I too am keeping you in my thoughts and hope you'll get relief soon.

{{HUGS}} sweet Missy! x

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF good luck with your upcoming surgery. Thinking good thoughts for you and sending healing vibes your way. (((Hugs))).

@mrs-b good luck this AM and I hope your Colonoscopy goes smoothly and all is well. Hugs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results