shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had a colonoscopy?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've been a GI/endoscopy RN for 20 years, feel free to ask me any questions ! The prep is the worst part for you. We use propofol for anesthesia for most endo procedures here now. You basically are going in for a nice, restful nap. It's so much better than what we used to use!
If you anticipate trouble with nausea, your doctor can prescribe zofran/ondansetron to take while prepping. Also, take breaks while taking prep. Refridgerate prep before drinking, easier to get it down.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b be you rock! This. Truely, it’s not as bad as you fear. I’ve had three. The preps are advancing in ease of administration and experience, last one was easy. Just eat soft and liquidy for a day or two before prep day. The procedure itself is painless, quick and you feel fine after! Much ado about nothing, proceedure wise. :wavey:

Lol - thank you, @Bonfire! I remember the prep from my first procedure - ugh!! You are dead right when you say the preps have improved outta site; it's like night and day to 30 years ago.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had 2 routine screening colonoscopies over the years. They were not bad at all. I do remember waking up in the recovery area singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" from the musical "Oklahoma" at the top of my lungs! Apparently the anesthetic they use has a tendency to make you feel very uninhibited - so at worst I was very embarrassed, but no pain! Hope you feel better!
My very first one..I don’t remember what they gave me but I chased my doctor down the hall yelling hi..My mom was mortified and had to drag me away. I was horrified and didn’t believe her but five years later he remembered me..How embarrassing!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year I got Prepopik...A walk in the park! So easy..not horrible tasting..no cramps..

I know, right?? I was assuming I was going to have to drink gallons of nausea-inducing gack, and suffer the tortures of the damned, by the tales I'd heard. But that stuff was NOTHIN'. I was pleasantly shocked and so was my husband, who had dreaded it for a very long time.

But even with the much better preps, this is still a classic that must be read. I promise you'll laugh. ;))

https://bussorah.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/dave-barrys-colonoscopy/

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, right?? I was assuming I was going to have to drink gallons of nausea-inducing gack, and suffer the tortures of the damned, by the tales I'd heard. But that stuff was NOTHIN'. I was pleasantly shocked and so was my husband, who had dreaded it for a very long time.

But even with the much better preps, this is still a classic that must be read. I promise you'll laugh. ;))

https://bussorah.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/dave-barrys-colonoscopy/
That was hysterical! I showed it to my husband and loved it! He sent it to his brother!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I`m an RN in the OR and we do dozens of these a week. They are extremely safe, the anaesthetic is sedation which means you recover quite quickly, and you are able to eat and drink as soon as you are awake, and head home. It`s recommended not to drive for 24 hours after, but that relates to the anaesthetic more than the procedure itself. Although my husband had one a few years ago, and went stright home and proceded to build a car engine as he felt so rejuvinated after his sleep :rodent:

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
My very first one..I don’t remember what they gave me but I chased my doctor down the hall yelling hi..My mom was mortified and had to drag me away. I was horrified and didn’t believe her but five years later he remembered me..How embarrassing!
So I am not the only one!

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have had three. All went well. Felt like a good nap. The first one they took out a polyp, but the other two have come up completely clear, and I couldn't tell the difference physically afterwards.

I agree with everyone that the prep is the worst part besides trying to not crap yourself on the way to the appointment. My first two times I had the Golytely, which was awful stuff. This last time I used the Prepopik, which is the two small bottle system, and it was MUCH easier to tolerate. But the loose bowels lasted for two more days after the procedure. I will say that they tell you (or at least it was in my informational brochure) to be careful about eating too much too soon after the procedure. If they take biopsies that is basically now a weak spot in your bowel, and you don't want to stress it any more than possible. Yes, the procedure itself is pretty easy and safe, but it is still an invasive procedure, and I think a lot of people forget that because it does go so smoothly.

BTW, just because a doctor tells you that you should get a procedure doesn't mean that you have to. Your body, your choice. And there is a virtual CT colonoscopy now, but if they do find something they'd have to go in anyway, and they obviously wouldn't be able to take biopsies if they need them.

Hope everything goes well no matter what you decide, and I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Bowel stuff can be so sad, painful, and frustrating.

Feistyred

Rough_Rock
Endo/GI RN here... I assist with 12-16 procedures/day.
Yes the prep is the worst. Best advice, drink it super cold and for the love of god, drink ALL the liquids after! Not just a glass or two. We like our patients clean. No missing anything when you’re clean! Most of our pts like Suprep the best. Or Ducolax plus Miralax and Gatorade. Prepopik no longer exists. Been replaced by Clenpik. If you have external hemorrhoids, have some preparation H wipes handy. Your butthole will thank you...
We use either Propofol or a combo of Versed and Fentanyl. Both work beautifully. You’re in for the best nap of your life! No driving for 24 hrs after because of the anesthesia.
Biopsies are not necessarily needed for diverticulitis history. Typically, you wait until the inflammation is resolved (usually 8 weeks after infection) before you do the colonoscopy.
Diet is a new hot topic for those with diverticulosis. The new school of thought is that you don’t limit diet as they are now finding out that your own stool caught in the pouches are often the culprit of the inflammation and infection. I work with both new grads and dr that have been practicing for 38 years. That’ll be up to your doctor. You may be able to add fiber back into your diet at this point.
You got this!
* disclaimer... I’m not a dr! Please follow all orders and instructions from your doctor :mrgreen2:

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Feistyred you're right. I misspoke about the Prepopik. It was Clenpik. Still way better than the alternatives.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Endo/GI RN here... I assist with 12-16 procedures/day.
Yes the prep is the worst. Best advice, drink it super cold and for the love of god, drink ALL the liquids after! Not just a glass or two. We like our patients clean. No missing anything when you’re clean! Most of our pts like Suprep the best. Or Ducolax plus Miralax and Gatorade. Prepopik no longer exists. Been replaced by Clenpik. If you have external hemorrhoids, have some preparation H wipes handy. Your butthole will thank you...
We use either Propofol or a combo of Versed and Fentanyl. Both work beautifully. You’re in for the best nap of your life! No driving for 24 hrs after because of the anesthesia.
Biopsies are not necessarily needed for diverticulitis history. Typically, you wait until the inflammation is resolved (usually 8 weeks after infection) before you do the colonoscopy.
Diet is a new hot topic for those with diverticulosis. The new school of thought is that you don’t limit diet as they are now finding out that your own stool caught in the pouches are often the culprit of the inflammation and infection. I work with both new grads and dr that have been practicing for 38 years. That’ll be up to your doctor. You may be able to add fiber back into your diet at this point.
You got this!
* disclaimer... I’m not a dr! Please follow all orders and instructions from your doctor :mrgreen2:
When did they discontinue the Prepopik? I had it last year and saved the front of the box so I could have it again the next time I went in have one? Why did they discontinue it?

Feistyred

Rough_Rock
When did they discontinue the Prepopik? I had it last year and saved the front of the box so I could have it again the next time I went in have one? Why did they discontinue it?

We noticed it about 2 months ago. When I asked, all they said is that Clenpik is the replacement for Prepopik. Basically it’s the newest, latest, greatest form of Prepopik. Preps are constantly evolving/changing. We have seen MANY come and go. We have one dr who goes to his tried and true Colyte/Golytely because it truely works the best.

Feistyred

Rough_Rock
@Feistyred you're right. I misspoke about the Prepopik. It was Clenpik. Still way better than the alternatives.

Absolutely right! Way better than they used to be!
We remind everyone Preop that after they finish the prep to drink, drink, drink! I’d much rather go this route than the dreaded gallon of nastiness...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had 3. Be sure you have a lot of toilet tissue on hand the night before the colonoscopy :lol:. I was in and out within 2 hrs the next morning. I was under a mild sedation.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Dandi right?! Most of my patients, after a few minutes of disorientation, are up, ready to go eat and get on with the day!
The drugs they give you now for sedation are so much better. I feel pretty normal very quickly. Many years ago I would feel drugged for the rest of the day and forget conversations I had with my husband..which my husband thought was pretty funny..

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every 3-5 years I get one. After the cancer the first time it was a yearly event, its how they found it the 2nd time around. And it stayed a yearly event for 7 years after the 2nd time.

I always request a full knockout because I will fight under light sedation. Either way, make sure you have someone to drive you home.

I always do a first a.m. appointment and my prep is usually 2 days.

The prep is gross and can be pretty unpleasant. (I'll be the one to say it:lol:) because you're seriously clearing out your digestive tract. Trust me when I say they want it clean clean clean!!

The first day of prep is Miralax. I start that first AM to help soften the stool. I also clean up my diet because it makes life easier.

2nd day is the jug o stuff.

Here's the warnings. The jug o stuff is nasty. Yes it is! I don't care what anybody says, that pineapple dosen't taste like pineapple:sick: You can mix it with stuff as long as its not artifically or naturally colored with red or purple. Any dye makes it harder for them to read your colon.

The jug o stuff is very thick after its been mixed. yes, adding the juice makes it take longer to get down but its also better than throwing it back up!

I don't always drink fruit juice but this is exception for me and I mix with carrot and pineapple juice (organic only). But keep it VERY COLD, and drink it through a straw if your gag reflex is easily triggered.

12 hours before your procedure you should fast. No supplements. Drink lots of water, fruit juices. They say you can sometimes have gatoraide but don't drink the ones with heavy red or purple dyes (I think the blue is also out) eat soft foods as everything will go through you so quick anyway. Nothing super fatty. They also will restrict certain types of medications or supplements that thin the blood because if they have to cut, you could bleed to death.

If you have hemerroids(never could spell that word), they will get irritated. Get the PreperationH wipes or witch hazel wipes. Don't do baby wipes.

You can leak during this prep (and even after) Poise pads, or depends, the choice is yours. I use depends for better coverage. But you will have gas and trust me, you may not want to just "let it go" because....shit happens:lol-2:

Clear your calendar because you'll be camping out in the bathroom. And keep good reading material that you'll throw away afterwards.

After the appointment, give yourself time to get back to normal. You still could have leakage and things will move through your colon very quickly for at least another 12 hours. So mexican food same day? probably not a good idea.

Thank you so much, @Arcadian. Hope your cancer is completely clear now.

I am not sure what the Dr will give me for the prep. I'll see...I am thinking of perhaps ordering some of the items mentioned here online.

When you say "full knock-out", are you talking about a full GA? My Dr said no GA, only sedation. Not sure which would be the best.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my aunt is in remission and as long as she is careful about what she eats she remains pain free. You probably already know what you should and should not eat with diverticulitis much better than I know but I do remember nuts and seeds are off her can eat list. Much like my new "normal" being on a mainly AIP diet.

I read what you wrote about trading wrinkles for good health and I am in complete agreement. We may not look our age but darn I would be OK looking my age without all these health issues. Though it could be worse and I am grateful we are not dealing with something worse.

(((Hugs))).

I am just not gonna eat nuts (though I love them) or at least keep them to a minimum. Seeds are not an issue (I am not a bird, lol).

Yeah, it sucks. I'd happily trade in my wrinkle-free looks for better health. Here's the kicker, I've never smoked - anything! Gave up drinking, eat clean and healthy. Exercise. Yet, I still have health issues. It's truly baffling!!

{{HUS}} back to you too, @missy.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease since he was 8 years old and recently diagnosed with colitis at 24 years old. He’s had more colonoscopies than I can remember.

The worst part is the prep.

The last time my son had a colonoscopy, he actually used something called “suprep.” It was 2 small bottles of medication rather than a gallon jug of gross drink. It was much better.
http://www.suprepkit.com/about-suprep.htm

Sorry to hear about your son, @House Cat.

I'll see if I can order that online.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's easy. In the world of medical procedures, it's one of the easiest you'll do.

Tips: Start eating lightly and don't eat meat for 2 days prior to beginning the prep. Seriously, this alone will make it a breeze. Both my husband and I did this, and neither of us sprinted for or camped out in the john. I promise, you'll have had stomach bugs that are FAR worse.

I always read about people having to guzzle gallons of sweetened goat piss with a hint of lemon, but honestly, I think they just have docs who are sadists. It doesn't have to be that way. We both used a prep called Prepopik. It consists of 2 packets of crystals. You mix one in 5 ozs of water. It's gross, but it's 5 ozs - it goes quick. Then you drink 5 8-oz glasses of water over X number of hours. Then the next 5-oz packet, then 3 cups of water and you're done.

Yes, be sure you're having it done somewhere where they have a real anesthesiologist using the good stuff - and I think that is fentanyl. Whatever it is, a skilled doc can knock you out so you are responsive yet remember NADA. Most of the horror stories you hear are from less skilled people doing the knock out. So ask about this and insist on someone who knows their stuff. Meaning, if at all possible, do NOT go to some place with a name like Colonscopies R Us to have this done. ;-)

EVERYONE dreads this one, but really, for the vast majority of people, it's a cakewalk. It will probably be one for you too. Please do not let your fear keep you from this test. It will give you a peace of mind that is worth a LOT. I say this as someone who had our 38 year old SIL dx'd with stage IV colon cancer. Both my husband and I were overdue for our first one, and we hustled in quickly to do ours, believe me.

I'm convinced now, after having read all the posts here, that I MUST go for one, and indeed will schedule it asap (going to see Dr for a follow up today).

Are you talking about sedation and not a full GA?

I'll be having it done at one of the top hospitals here. The Dr performing the colonoscopy will be the one that helped me with the diverticulitis attack recently. Sorry to hear about your SIL - that's shocking!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had it done, and I second the idea of eating lightly for several days beforehand. I threw up the Miralax (all of those softener type laxatives make me sick), so the prep was miserable for me, but there was something at the grocery store, some kind of nasty tasting soda, that I used last second to help. I had a fun time calling the gastro's emergency line in a panic and sending my husband to Giant at 2 am to get that stuff.

My BIL was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at 40 and just 8 months after his only child was born. I had the same symptom he did, bleeding, and I knew it was hemorrhoids (it was) and I was only 36, but I'm so glad I got the colonoscopy and I'll be getting one every 5 years. I felt it would be disrespectful of BIL to not do the test just because I was scared when I had the chance to avoid what he went though. The test itself was nothing, and once you get the prep figured out, it's no big deal.

Have it done by a Gastroenterologist and one with lots of experience. I chose the same doctor my mom used, because she had found a polyp on the right side of my mom's colon, which many miss.

You'll be fine!

I never knew, til I set up this thread, that you have to prep for several days. Glad I've found out. The materials I read seemed to indicate that you only need to prep the day before.

Sorry to hear about your BIL.

I think my Dr is very experienced, looking into his bio now.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had many colonoscopies because my aunt had colon cancer and my dad had a large number of pre-cancerous polyps. I get them every five years and I started getting them pretty early. I had different preps..A long time ago they had horrid ones..I would cry and I’m not a wimp..Now they have great preps compared to those. I’ve had the Miralax ten years ago and that one was so much better. Last year I got Prepopik...A walk in the park! So easy..not horrible tasting..no cramps..It’s easy not to eat all day..because you really aren’t hungry..You’re drinking lots of fluid and can have clear ice pops..no red or purple..They give you an IV the next morning at the hospital or center..and you’re out! You wake up and don’t remember a thing. We always go out to breakfast when it’s over. They found three polyps this time so I feel like I’m keeping on top of it. It’s very important to get checked.

Thank you, @Mamabean. Now, I am really dreading the preps, after having read about them here!:shock: Though I will look up those you mentioned.

Glad to know about the ice lollipops. I like them, yay!!

So, they'll give you an IV before the procedure?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The virtual colonoscopy is done by CT scan, but with air pumped in as they do in a regular colonoscopy. My doctor says she likes it for routine screening as it sometimes can turn things up that are harder to see on the traditional screen and is less invasive. It's great if it's an all clear. The downside is that if they see anything (i.e. a polyp), they then need to take a biopsy, so have to follow up with a traditional procedure. I believe in a case of diverticulitis, they will want biopsies to confirm the diagnosis, so that rules out the CT method.

My husband had one attack of diverticulitis, about four years ago. He, too, had no risk factors - no family history, very healthy diet, non-smoker, very moderate alcohol consumption, very physically fit - in fact, they gastroenterologist was shocked when that was the result. He had just done a very demanding bike race (about 150 miles in very hot weather), which may or may not have played a role. He's never had another episode - the gastro said if he ever felt a twinge, to go on a low residue diet and let them know so they could start antibiotics asap, but so far, it hasn't recurred. They also said that the stuff about avoiding nuts, seeds, etc. is now outdated- that once it's healed, you can go back to a regular diet.

Ah ok. I think in my case, they will perform an actual colonoscopy, not a CT scan one. Thanks for the clarification.

Low residue diet? Not all the time, right? Only when he experiences any pain? It seems so counter-intuitive, doesn't it? You think that you have to eat a high-fibre diet to stay healthy, and yet you find out that high-fibre diets are not good for those that have diverticulitis. Go figure!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, the anticipation of the colonoscopy, is worse than the actual procedure. It's not pleasant to have to drink all that fluid and restrict what you eat for the 3-5 days, but then again think of it as a "cleanse" lol. It's nice to have it done and checked off the list. I had one this early summer because I was of the age to have one. Will need to have another in 10 years.

3-5 days? Lol, not sure how I am gonna survive this!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had 2 routine screening colonoscopies over the years. They were not bad at all. I do remember waking up in the recovery area singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" from the musical "Oklahoma" at the top of my lungs! Apparently the anesthetic they use has a tendency to make you feel very uninhibited - so at worst I was very embarrassed, but no pain! Hope you feel better!

:lol:

And thank you.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I had my first colonoscopy and endoscopy this year, a week apart. I also used the Suprep for the colonoscopy and it was a breeze. My husband was envious because just 3 years ago, he had to drink the big jugs of liquid chalk. I am vegan, so I had no putrefied animal products in my system, and my prep was done in under 45 minutes. And it was even easier the next morning.

I was under for about 15 minutes each time, on an outpatient basis, and was having lunch within the hour. Absolutely nothing to fear. Good luck!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The doctor's office had told me that if I got very sick I could go in to the center where the colonoscopy was to be done (a branch of the local hospital) to receive IV fluids. The idea was to hydrate me without getting any liquid into my GI tract after I had been having diarrhea and vomiting for hours. But I didn't care if I was dehydrated. I wanted to get somewhere where someone could medicate my migraine and I thought if they had me on an IV they could put something in it for the headache! It turns out I didn't need it since I was allowed to take a pill for my migraine orally. :))

Thanks for the clarification, Deb. Glad you were able to sort out the migraine.

I expect to be nauseous and possibly throwing up. Will ask the Dr about this.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best bit of advice I can give, after all the great advice you've already had - take a couple of boiled eggs with you to the procedure. The stuff they give you in recovery is pure sugar.

I'm having my 5th or 6th (I cant remember exactly) colonoscopy and gastroscopy on Monday. I have them regularly, since I have Crohns. The prep is boring, but it's not like having food poisoning, or that kind of diarrhea. It's more like anything you have in your gut just falls out. The procedure itself is a big fat nothing. My DH had one a month or so ago. He was dreading it, but in the end found it to be 'no biggie'. Basically, you go to the toilet a lot, you go to sleep, you wake up, you go home.

I can definitely do boiled eggs!! Np:)

Good luck with your procedures today, @mrs-b.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results