clarity

Has anyone had a colonoscopy?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Total cholesterol: 7.03 *38.6 = 271
HDL: 74
LDL: 4.6 * 8.6 = 178

@missy, sorry, I meant these numbers. 271 for total cholesterol , 74 for HDL and 178 for LDL. My ratio of total / HDL was 3.6, which is not too bad (I think/ hope). But again, these were the results from last year. My results were done according to the UK system. I converted them to the American system, to facilitate comparison with yours.

I'm now reading about the ratio of triglycerides to HDL

So, I had a thyroid panel done today, not with the same endocrinologist but with someone else. I asked for the 4 iron tests, TSH, Free T3 and T4, the antibodies tests, B12 and Folate . They said not to do the cholesterol test bc I had not fasted (the other Dr didn't require me to fast, but today they said non-fasting is not accurate). I will go and get a fasting cholesterol test done soon.

RE the cortisol saliva test, I'll have to ask around to see who offers it here. The one I talked to before only require(d) me to take one sample. So that's obviously not ideal.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your iron went up on the second test. As did your % saturation (and ferritin). Did you start supplements is that why?

Your free T4 is pretty good in the middle of the range. Your free T3 is a bit low (but so much better than my free T3 which is way below the lab normal low). You are (according to the "experts") supposed to fall in the top 1/4 of the free T3 "normal" range. I am below the lab normal but while you are not in the top 25% you are still on your way there and well within the lab normal range...not too bad. The question I have for you is how do you feel?

And yeah the TPO antibodies and thyroglobulin antibodies are high. I am hoping that now that you are gluten and dairy and soy free those numbers will drop for you.

And your liver function is good! Mine has been creeping up and I am concerned about that but the doctors are ignoring it for now...only so much they can deal with cause I am sort of a challenge and a mess. LOL. At least I am maintaining my sense of humor right?

I would ask (sorry I don't remember if they refuse to do this test) for a reverse T3 test.

Yes, my iron level was on the low side in the Sept 2017 test, do the Dr prescribed Vit D3 for me to take, and that seemed to have made an improvement as seen in the Oct 2017 test. I haven't been as good at taking it daily lately though, so let's see what turns up in the new results.

I really ought to get a Reverse T3 test. They don't seem to offer it here. I will continue to search to see who can.

I too am hoping the gluten, dairy and soy free diet can help with my antibodies. I've only been doing it for a short while, since you recommended it. So not sure if that'll show in the results yet.

Oh, I forgot to ask them to do the liver function. Ah well...next time.

Yes, it's imperative we maintain our sense of humour!! I don't want to walk around being Debbie Downer all the time, lol.

And how did you do yesterday? Hope today is a good day for you, @missy. And thank you so much, once again, for all your help and the knowledge you've imparted.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I came across this link on FB this morning and thought I'd share it with you (though you may have read the same already).
https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/which-supplements-actually-help-hashimotos/

I know you don't have Hashimoto's , but the article mentions some of the things you've talked about, notably LDN. Are you taking the others too?

Hi @Phoenix I do have Hashimoto's. The Ultrasound showed a pathognomonic Hashimoto's shape to my thyroid and the reason we think my antibodies went down (for now at least) is because I went gluten, soy and dairy free. Also no longer eat any nuts or legumes. So I am eating mostly AIP and that could be why my antibodies decreased. I added (non GMO) corn back to my diet however many months ago and so far so good with that.

I subscribe to Izabella Wendtz and get info in my inbox daily and if you dont already it's a good idea for you too. As I wrote before her books are clearly written and I feel is not OTT like some authors.

Here is an email from her site just yesterday which you might find helpful because who knows what your trigger might be.

As the link between Hashimoto’s and the foods we eat is becoming more and more apparent, many of us have taken steps to remove problematic foods, such as gluten, dairy, and soy, from our diets. Many of you are also addressing your nutrient deficiencies and working to heal your gut in an effort to take an active and proactive approach to health by managing your thyroid disease through lifestyle interventions.

That said, there is another contributing factor that isn’t as well known, but can be just as harmful… and most of us are exposed to it every day!

If you guessed chemical exposure from household and beauty products, you are absolutely right. Unfortunately, avoiding these harmful chemicals can be extremely tricky.

Women, on average, use 12 personal care and cosmetics products per day, which amounts to 168 different chemical ingredients! In contrast, men use 6 personal care products, or an average of 85 different chemicals, on a daily basis.

While it’s difficult to pinpoint the exact reasons as to why seven women develop Hashimoto’s for every one man with the condition, perhaps the use of endocrine-disrupting chemicals may play a role. The use of lipstick, in particular, has been connected to the development of lupus, another autoimmune condition.

In fact, I suffered a flare-up of Hashimoto’s symptoms from a lipstick I used in 2014. It was the arsenic found in this particular lip product that caused my reaction. Ever since that experience, I have been more vigilant than ever to check the ingredients of all of my personal care products.

Most commercial personal products are full of endocrine-disrupting chemicals that are toxic and wreak havoc on our hormones and health. It’s no wonder that women get thyroid disease at larger rates than men, considering the amount of beauty products we are exposed to on a daily basis.

Did you know:

• We may each encounter up to 70,000 chemicals on a daily basis
  • An average of 287 chemicals are found in cord blood samples
  • Many of these are found in beauty products, perfumes, household cleaners, air fresheners, laundry products, and other common household items
  • Some of these, like PFOA, are linked to thyroid disorders, bind to important receptors in the thyroid, and may even inhibit the uptake of thyroid hormone and thyroid medications
For this reason, it is important to find and address these common sources of exposure. They’re likely hiding in your kitchen, laundry room, and especially your bathroom!

And I like Wellness Mama too for helpful tips about healthy lifestyle and detox.

I am taking most of those supplements you linked but stopped with Selenium due to already having too high a selenium level (probably due to my MTHFR mutation) without supplementing. And I do not nor never did I try Moducare. I take the rest she listed and many more supplements actually. Offhand from what I recall just now I am taking D3, K2, Magnesium glycinate, digestive enzymes, Betaine with HCL, Ox bile enzymes, B1, B2, B5,B6,B7, B9 and B12 and methylfolate (all methylated when possible as my MTHFR mutation does not allow me to methylate and detoxify so for me that is critical) and TMG, Choline and Inositol (again many of the supplements I take are specific for my MTHFR mutation and my high homocysteine level to bring it down and not necessarily recommended for you). I take zinc on a daily basis too. I am also taking Klaire Labs probiotic (dairy and allergen free) twice a day as well as LDN before bed. I might have left a few things out but this is what I can remember right now. I just woke up (late) this morning. Surprised I slept so late. But glad. I also take Oracea first thing in the AM for my other AI condition but that has nothing to do with this. And of course I just started NP Acella which I take super early when I wake up around 3 or 4 AM (and then I try going back to sleep) because it interferes with my Oracea that I take when I wake up in the morning.

HTH.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my iron level was on the low side in the Sept 2017 test, do the Dr prescribed Vit D3 for me to take, and that seemed to have made an improvement as seen in the Oct 2017 test. I haven't been as good at taking it daily lately though, so let's see what turns up in the new results.

I really ought to get a Reverse T3 test. They don't seem to offer it here. I will continue to search to see who can.

I too am hoping the gluten, dairy and soy free diet can help with my antibodies. I've only been doing it for a short while, since you recommended it. So not sure if that'll show in the results yet.

Oh, I forgot to ask them to do the liver function. Ah well...next time.

Yes, it's imperative we maintain our sense of humour!! I don't want to walk around being Debbie Downer all the time, lol.

And how did you do yesterday? Hope today is a good day for you, @missy. And thank you so much, once again, for all your help and the knowledge you've imparted.

I am always here for you @Phoenix however I can be and I am glad you are finding some of the info helpful. You might find this helpful re lab testing.

https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/root-cause-key-lab-tests/

https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/top-6-thyroid-tests/

I receive so many questions from my readers about which labs to get for Hashimoto’s and where to get them. Figuring out which tests you should do can be overwhelming because there’s quite a bit of information out there, and there are multiple tests that can give us an idea of one’s current thyroid function, as well as triggers that can reveal why the thyroid may be malfunctioning. I hope this email serves as a starting point to help you determine which lab tests will be most helpful for uncovering your triggers.

I highly recommend working with a Functional Medicine clinician on your thyroid journey. Functional Medicine is a medical specialty dedicated to preventing, finding, and treating underlying causes of chronic illness, rather than merely treating disease symptoms.

If you have a practitioner who is willing to work with you, that practitioner can order most of the tests listed here. If you don’t have a practitioner like this on your team, I’ve spent some time reaching out to various lab companies to set up specialized channels that will allow you to self-order your own labs at a discount. I’ll specify which tests are usually covered on insurance if you have a willing practitioner that can bill insurance, which tests can be self-ordered and then submitted to insurance, and which ones are usually an out-of-pocket expense that you may need to save for. (You can use Health Savings Accounts for most.)

In this article, I will go over the tests that I think are critical for finding the root cause(s) of your Hashimoto’s condition, including:

• Thyroid testing
  • Nutritional testing
  • Adrenal testing
  • Gut health testing
  • Infections testing
  • Genetic testing
Discover the Lab Tests That Dig at Your Root Cause

I'm doing OK thanks for asking @Phoenix. I agree with you we must be positive and well while not always super cheerful we need to keep things in perspective and be grateful for all the good we have. We just lost a close and dear friend all of a sudden Tuesday evening and we are still in shock. I am very sad but determined to make the most of each day and be thankful for each day. Hope you are feeling well and good and as always keeping you in my thoughts. XO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, sorry, I meant these numbers. 271 for total cholesterol , 74 for HDL and 178 for LDL. My ratio of total / HDL was 3.6, which is not too bad (I think/ hope). But again, these were the results from last year. My results were done according to the UK system. I converted them to the American system, to facilitate comparison with yours.

I'm now reading about the ratio of triglycerides to HDL

So, I had a thyroid panel done today, not with the same endocrinologist but with someone else. I asked for the 4 iron tests, TSH, Free T3 and T4, the antibodies tests, B12 and Folate . They said not to do the cholesterol test bc I had not fasted (the other Dr didn't require me to fast, but today they said non-fasting is not accurate). I will go and get a fasting cholesterol test done soon.

RE the cortisol saliva test, I'll have to ask around to see who offers it here. The one I talked to before only require(d) me to take one sample. So that's obviously not ideal.

I shared a link with you yesterday about when to discontinue your supplements before testing. If you test too close to after taking them you are just measuring what you just took vs what actually is in your cells. In fact blood tests are not super accurate for certain nutritional testing but I guess we do the best we can do with that. I never took the Spectracell test (which tests what gets inside the cells) because I just have too much stuff to deal with to put another thing on my plate but fyi it is supposed to be a much more accurate way to test things like the B vitamins and folate and D and Zinc and Magnesium etc.

Yes we are supposed to do cholesterol fasting but I rarely do either since the doctors run the test without telling me when they are doing the other panels. So yeah not as accurate that way but still gives you an idea I think and as I wrote before Cholesterol is not a top concern at this time while we are dealing with our thyroid and other issues.

I cannot stress enough that unless you take all the saliva readings throughout the day you cannot know where you stand on the adrenal cortisol scale and how you are doing regarding that. One reading is not sufficient. Did you try contacting ZRT to see if they would mail you a test? And if not ask them if they can recommend another company who will.

Here is the link for the micronutrient testing (that I have not done).

https://www.spectracell.com/patients/patient-micronutrient-testing/

Oh and I also take (forgot to add it to my post above) Vitamin C and NAC every day. I take 1000 C at least once a day but am supposed to take it two to three times a day but it has to be separated as we can only absorb 1000 at a time so it is challenging to get the full dose in as the supplements I am taking interferes with others so I have to be mindful of when I am taking them all and cannot always get them all in. I rotate the B vitamins as my blood levels went too high with some of them so now do some on an every other day basis.

I have thrown a lot of info at you @Phoenix, please take your time digesting it all and again I am here for any/all questions and I hope what I am writing is easy to understand and apologies if it is not.

Have a good day and feel well.
(((Hugs))).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, for some reason I thought you were hypo. But now reading your AI thread again, it's clear you were talking about having Hashimoto's. Apologies.

I shall read through and digest the information you sent. Will respond once I've had a chance to read through, at least some.

One Q that jumped out at me though: how on earth do you manage to take all these supplements? Do they not make you nauseous at all? I was taking a bunch before (not for Hashimoto's but just general good supplements like fish oil, Vit C, Vit E, D3, glucosamine, probiotics, turmeric etc) but found that I had to remember to space them out and always take them with food; otherwise I'd feel sick.

So sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your friend.

{{HUGS}}

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. What Izabella Wentz said about beauty products is shocking!!:o:-o I knew about the obvious stuff, ie. household cleaning chemicals and perfumes and air fresheners and the likes, but never dreamed that beauty products were so toxic! and arsenic in a lipstick!! OMG!!

Oh, I am just responding to the easier bits first. I am hardly taking any supplements atm. I took a probiotics last night before I went to bed and a Vit D3 after my lunch, before the test. But were you not talking about the saliva test? I didn't have the saliva test done today (kind of already decided that before I went to bed last night). Will look for a lab that does the test you've recommended.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, for some reason I thought you were hypo. But now reading your AI thread again, it's clear you were talking about having Hashimoto's. Apologies.

I shall read through and digest the information you sent. Will respond once I've had a chance to read through, at least some.

One Q that jumped out at me though: how on earth do you manage to take all these supplements? Do they not make you nauseous at all? I was taking a bunch before (not for Hashimoto's but just general good supplements like fish oil, Vit C, Vit E, D3, glucosamine, probiotics, turmeric etc) but found that I had to remember to space them out and always take them with food; otherwise I'd feel sick.

So sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your friend.

{{HUGS}}

No apologies necessary @Phoenix! I cannot keep it straight either lol. I am very hypo and I also have Hashimoto's and as you probably know the two go hand in hand. Usually when one is first diagnosed with Hashimoto's they are not yet hypo but having Hashimoto's can definitely cause one to become hypothyroid with time...remind me if you are taking thyroid meds or they are just watching you for now. (I am sorry I don't remember).

The supplements can make me nauseous so I take them on a not empty stomach usually. And it can be challenging because some interfere with the others so it has to be spaced out well. I think I forgot to say I also take iron supplements and that interferes with Zinc and Magnesium plus a couple of others. So it all needs to be factored in...I take the iron with C as they complement each other and I take Zinc with Holy Basil before bed to help lower my cortisol but I am going by the findings of my saliva cortisol test and you shouldn't do anything re cortisol supplements till you have your findings.

Thanks for your condolences about our friend. When I say the world lost a good person who was funny, smart, witty, generous and kind I am not exaggerating. Life is random and cruel and there are no adequate words to describe how awful it is when one loses a loved one. We are very sad. Hug those closest to you and tell them how much you love them. Sometimes it is the best we can do when faced with random tragic events. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. What Izabella Wentz said about beauty products is shocking!!:o:-o

I knew about the obvious stuff, ie. household cleaning chemicals and perfumes and air fresheners and the likes, but never dreamed that beauty products were so toxic! and arsenic in a lipstick!! OMG!!

Oh sorry, just responding to the easier bits first. I must admit I totally missed that link (will need to spend more time digesting the infor you linked/ sent). I am hardly taking any supplements atm. I took a probiotics last night before I went to bed and a Vit D3 after my lunch, before the test. I guess the D3 would prob skew the Iron readings.

Are you taking K2 with your D3? Please consider it if you are not to help control calcium homeostasis in the body.

https://info.dralexrinehart.com/articles/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k2-benefits-connection

As for supplementation in general you may not need many supplements. The reason I do is because of my genetic mutation that is now expressing itself. Most people don't need as much supplementation as I do. You might just need those specific for Hashimoto's.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you taking K2 with your D3? Please consider it if you are not to help control calcium homeostasis in the body.

https://info.dralexrinehart.com/articles/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k2-benefits-connection

As for supplementation in general you may not need many supplements. The reason I do is because of my genetic mutation that is now expressing itself. Most people don't need as much supplementation as I do. You might just need those specific for Hashimoto's.

Ok, again, just a quick response (my brain is shutting down now, more so than usual, lol). I did not know about K2.:o Will definitely look into that!!

I suspect I do not need many supplements, but I will try now to look for a physician who's prepared to prescribe the ones recommended by Izabella Wentz that cannot easily be bought OTC.

To answer your Q, I am on Euthyrox, 25 mcg. The endocrinologist that I first saw initially refused to put me on any medication, bc all my thyroid readings were (and should still be) within normal ranges, except for my antibodies. But I managed to convince her bc I was having obvious symptoms like severe hair loss, constipation (sorry tmi), insomnia and weight gain, and feeling extremely cold all the time. With the medication, my hair loss has stopped and the weight has stabilised and I no longer feel extremely cold.

I am hopeful that I will not progess into hypo. Is that possible, that one may stay at Hashimoto's and not go into hypo? I am hoping that the AI Paleo diet and the supplements that I will soon be taking will help towards this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hopeful that I will not progess into hypo. Is that possible, that one may stay at Hashimoto's and not go into hypo? I am hoping that the AI Paleo diet and the supplements that I will soon be taking will help towards this

yes it is definitely possible especially with taking the measures you are taking now. The Autoimmune Paleo diet might be just the answer for you to decrease your antibodies and put your Hashimoto's into remission fingers crossed. And the fact you are taking thyroid meds can only help you from progressing into hypothyroidism. You are doing everything right @Phoenix :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, how are you doing? any update on the np acella? I hope you're not having an issue with heart palpitations.

I'm still digesting the very helpful information you've kindly given me.

I just got my latest thyroid results. It's rather alarming, my Thyroglubolin Antibody level is almost 1,000!! Twice what it's been since I was diagnosed 10 years ago and I've been testing fairly regularly - at least once a year since then. My Free T3 is a little bit off too. I wonder if the higher antibodies is to do with the fact that I had an infection 3 weeks ago due to my diverticulitis. What do you reckon?

Lien_thyroid results_Nov 2018.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Phoenix yes I think your diverticulitis attack could have something to do with your elevated antibodies and don't be too alarmed. I would give it some time to come down plus you are now following the AIP diet so that should help bring your antibodies level down as well. Plus do ask your physicians about Low Dose Naltrexone.

Your TSH is great and your free T4 isn't bad. Your free T3 fluctuates and might just be down because of your infection and once that is completely resolved it might go up again. So I wouldn't worry too much right now about one set of blood tests given the circumstances. If it makes you feel any better my free T3 is way below the lab normal and I am not a complete wreck (yet) lol. But yeah we want to see that number higher for sure. No changes yet with me but every time my heart beats a little funny I start worrying though if such a small amount of NP causes heart palps for me then I do have something to really worry about...

So hang in there and keep doing what you are doing and do not worry about one set of blood results. Give yourself and your body some time to heal from the diverticulitis attack and give the AIP diet time to help. Also (as we all know) stress can cause the numbers to go haywire too. Stress causes T4 to be converted to Reverse T3 which clogs the free T3 receptors causing our free T3 to go down. As hard as it is not to stress and not to stress about stressing that is exactly what we need to do.

Sending you continued healing vibes and good wishes.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Phoenix yes I think your diverticulitis attack could have something to do with your elevated antibodies and don't be too alarmed. I would give it some time to come down plus you are now following the AIP diet so that should help bring your antibodies level down as well. Plus do ask your physicians about Low Dose Naltrexone.

Your TSH is great and your free T4 isn't bad. Your free T3 fluctuates and might just be down because of your infection and once that is completely resolved it might go up again. So I wouldn't worry too much right now about one set of blood tests given the circumstances. If it makes you feel any better my free T3 is way below the lab normal and I am not a complete wreck (yet) lol. But yeah we want to see that number higher for sure. No changes yet with me but every time my heart beats a little funny I start worrying though if such a small amount of NP causes heart palps for me then I do have something to really worry about...

So hang in there and keep doing what you are doing and do not worry about one set of blood results. Give yourself and your body some time to heal from the diverticulitis attack and give the AIP diet time to help. Also (as we all know) stress can cause the numbers to go haywire too. Stress causes T4 to be converted to Reverse T3 which clogs the free T3 receptors causing our free T3 to go down. As hard as it is not to stress and not to stress about stressing that is exactly what we need to do.

Sending you continued healing vibes and good wishes.

Thank you for your very prompt response, @missy.

Yes, it just seems too much of a coincidence!! I'm thinking also of repeating the test this week or next week - or would that be too soon? I am going to see an endocrinologist next week and shall def ask about LDN.

I didn't know about the bit in bold. Obviously haven't finished my reading yet, lol. And it is easier said than done, isn't it, not to stress about stressing, lol.

Glad to hear that you're not noticing any noticeable difference in your heart rates, yay!!

Oh btw, do you belong to this group on FB? I've just started to follow them. Wonder what you think.

Hashimoto's Thyroid and AutoImmune - Support Group for Beginners.

Sending you back healing wishes and HUGS too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your very prompt response, @missy.

Yes, it just seems too much of a coincidence!! I'm thinking also of repeating the test this week or next week - or would that be too soon? I am going to see an endocrinologist next week and shall def ask about LDN.

I didn't know about the bit in bold. Obviously haven't finished my reading yet, lol. And it is easier said than done, isn't it, not to stress about stressing, lol.

Glad to hear that you're not noticing any noticeable difference in your heart rates, yay!!

Oh btw, do you belong to this group on FB? I've just started to follow them. Wonder what you think.

Hashimoto's Thyroid and AutoImmune - Support Group for Beginners.

Yes I think it is too soon to repeat your blood work...give it at least another month or two. And I don't know if this applies to you but every time they take blood from me my iron and ferritin levels go dramatically down and it takes me many weeks to recover so since we have similarities in common just another reason not to rush to repeat the tests. Another month or two makes more sense and gives your body time to 1. convert the T4 to free T3 since you are still healing from the diverticulitis and 2. gives you time to recover from having blood taken.

I belong to a few Thyroid support groups on Facebook..again I take what I feel is pertinent and makes good sense and leave the rest behind. There are a lot of "experts" in these groups that give IMO questionable info and even dangerous info. In fact one of my favorite groups can give pretty dangerous info so I know when to leave it behind....if you want to know the groups I belong to I'd rather message you their names. Can you link me to your loupe troop account or I will link you to mine. I think I must have your email but I am rather disorganized at the moment. LOL I blame my thyroid.:cheeky:

ETA if you want to find out if I am a member of a group just search my name in that group as I don't remember if I am a member of the group you linked...we are connected on FB aren't we? My memory sucks sorry Phoenix. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think it is too soon to repeat your blood work...give it at least another month or two. And I don't know if this applies to you but every time they take blood from me my iron and ferritin levels go dramatically down and it takes me many weeks to recover so since we have similarities in common just another reason not to rush to repeat the tests. Another month or two makes more sense and gives your body time to 1. convert the T4 to free T3 since you are still healing from the diverticulitis and 2. gives you time to recover from having blood taken.

I belong to a few Thyroid support groups on Facebook..again I take what I feel is pertinent and makes good sense and leave the rest behind. There are a lot of "experts" in these groups that give IMO questionable info and even dangerous info. In fact one of my favorite groups can give pretty dangerous info so I know when to leave it behind....if you want to know the groups I belong to I'd rather message you their names. Can you link me to your loupe troop account or I will link you to mine. I think I must have your email but I am rather disorganized at the moment. LOL I blame my thyroid.:cheeky:

ETA if you want to find out if I am a member of a group just search my name in that group as I don't remember if I am a member of the group you linked...we are connected on FB aren't we? My memory sucks sorry Phoenix. :(

It makes sense to leave the blood test for a while, @missy. I was thinking about it but wasn't quite sure, hence I thought I'd better ask you.

I don't take what DRs say as gospel nor do I believe everything I read. I'll sieve through the infor and see what makes sense. It also depends on the source of the information. Some sources I trust (like what I've read from you - bc I know you've done plenty of due diligence and I know you're the kind of person that asks questions and evaluates and not just take things as given); some others I don't.

We're not yet connected on FB, although I think I know who you are on there! lol;)):)) Will send you a request.

Thanks again, @missy.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @missy, what do you eat now for carbs? I struggle with no grain anything, ie. no bread, no pasta, no wheat noodles and no rice! No rice is the worst as that is the main Asian staple.;(

I'm also getting fed up with sweet potatoes! Bleh!!

And I can't eat corn bc of my diverticulitis.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @missy, what do you eat now for carbs? I struggle with no grain anything, ie. no bread, no pasta, no wheat noodles and no rice! No rice is the worst as that is the main Asian staple.;(

I'm also getting fed up with sweet potatoes! Bleh!!

And I can't eat corn bc of my diverticulitis.

I hear you and yes it's challenging. Here's a link you can print fyi.

https://unboundwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/aip-diet-food-list_unbound-wellness-1.pdf

I eat lots of sweet potatoes (and there is some controversy about that because one is supposed to eat it only in small amounts and I eat more than that but I need something if you kwim) and yams and lots and lots of veggies. I also love butternut squash so that helps as it is allowed and I love butternut squash soup for when I need something warm and filling. I also love snacking on Jicama. And there is that AIP "oatmeal" type of food I linked you to last week that I have not yet tried but that you might not be able to source near you. Instant Farina. It's on the Wild Mountain Paleo site..take a look at the AIP foods they offer to give you some idea. I also love their Power Balls as a snack.

https://www.wildmountainpaleo.com/viewproductdetail/2943?search

https://www.wildmountainpaleo.com/viewproductdetail/2985?search

I also snack on frozen blueberries. Very delicious.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help as grains are not allowed in the beginning of the AIP diet but after a while you can slowly add one thing back at a time and see how you do. You may not need to avoid all grains. I have added some back (corn which I know you cannot have) without negative consequences so there is a very good to excellent chance you can add grains you want back as well after your elimination phase.

https://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/0...ast-forever-what-personalized-aip-looks-like/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix forgot to include mushrooms. I love them and they are very healthy. I have them grilled. Portobello, shiitake etc.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again, @missy.

I actually downloaded something similar to what you linked me. I have sweet potatoes coming out of my ears! lol. I like butternut squash but can only eat it occasionally. I do like yams and Jicama. Thank you!! I will remember to add them back into my diet.

Alas, Wild Mountain does not ship to SG.

And I can't eat too many veggies or fruits at this stage bc when you have had a recent infection due to diverticulitis, you're supposed to eat less fibres for a while until you're fully healed up. So Idk what to do!!:confused:

I may start to add back some rice soon. I am constantly hungry!!;(

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix forgot to include mushrooms. I love them and they are very healthy. I have them grilled. Portobello, shiitake etc.

I eat mushrooms of various sorts on a daily basis. Thank you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix arghh on being constantly hungry. That is exactly how I was too this spring and summer when I was full force AIP. It sucked and I lost too much weight which thankfully I am gaining back now. I say yes add some rice back to your diet especially while you are healing from your diverticulitis as that is an added factor that I did not have to take into account when I started AIP. Please don't starve yourself and please don't deny yourself what you need to heal fully. I will add that as I learned more about AIP and found sites (for me the Wild Mountain Paleo) that offered AIP choices I was able to quell my constant hunger and I hope that for you with time you can find stores/ online sites that will ship to you. I had an added complication of meds I was taking at that time that I had to take on an empty stomach so part of my constant hunger was that. I had meds I took every four hours where I couldn't eat for 2 hours before or 1 hour afterwards. It was challenging to say the least. So I cannot blame it all on AIP.

You will find your happy medium and right now while you are dealing with diverticulitis it is best to perhaps not go full AIP. I would eliminate what you can ie dairy, soy, nuts, legumes, gluten but have some grains. Add some Quinoa perhaps? And see how it goes and how you feel. Fingers crossed.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, thank you, @missy.

Wow, that must have been very challenging for you. So glad to hear you're gaining back the weight. Funnily enough, I've hardly lost any weight, though admittedly I haven't been on this diet for very long. I suspect it's bc I am prob eating more fruits than I should. I remember us talking about 2 fruits. I usually have 3 or most often 4. I could do with a little weight loss, lol.

I will continue to see who can ship to SG.

I thought of quinoa too and actually love it, but I think quinoa is prob not best when you have diverticulitis as the little bits can get lodged in the little pouches/ diverticula. And isn't quinoa disallowed on the AI Paleo anyway?

I am definitely not touching dairy (though no eggs is a bit hard), soy (no prob there), nuts (again I miss them but not a big deal), legumes, gluten (damn it! I miss my pasta!! lol).

Thanks for listening and for being here. x

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're right. No quinoa on AIP but I was just trying to come up with things you could eat that might not be so terrible re AIP. I think eliminating what you have already eliminated (Gluten, soy, dairy) are the 3 major inflammatory groups so that is a good start. Add what you need to add back to heal and it sounds like no to quinoa for your diverticulitis so that's a no go sorry. But if rice is good for that you should add that back and see how you feel. I will also try searching who sells AIP foods and is willing to ship to SG. I will keep you posted if I find a site.

And it's my pleasure to be here for you however I can be...I remember how hard it was for me in the beginning of my journey end of 2017 and beginning and much of 2018 and if there is anything I can do to make your journey less stressful I want to be able to do that. And one more piece of advice...at times it will seem overwhelming and impossible to do but remember it is but one point in time and you will get over the challenge and the next day will be better. Don't let any backsliding or seemingly insurmountable hurdles depress you. It's a journey and we take it one day at a time. There will be good days and not so good days and downright awful days. Hold on to the fact that the awful days will pass and you will get to the good days more and more frequently. And you are not alone. (((HUGS))).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww!! Thank you so much, @missy. You're an absolute sweetheart.

{{HUGS}}

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, how are you doing with the new med? Have you increased the dosage yet? I hope you haven't experienced any adverse effects.

I remember you mentioning mould/ mold. I read on a FB thread about someone finding out that they had mould in their house, which has caused vertigo attacks and issues with her thyroid.

What tests did you do to find out you had mould?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, how are you doing with the new med? Have you increased the dosage yet? I hope you haven't experienced any adverse effects.

I remember you mentioning mould/ mold. I read on a FB thread about someone finding out that they had mould in their house, which has caused vertigo attacks and issues with her thyroid.

What tests did you do to find out you had mould?

Hi Phoenix, I am staying on a half grain till my next appointment with the endocrinologist at the end of January. Not increasing the dose at least till then. The palps probably (hopefully) will not become an issue so early on because of my super low dose...as I wrote before the "average" NDT dose is about 3 (plus) grains and I am on 1/6th that dose so fingers crossed. Of course on such a low dose it is unlikely to help get my thyroid hormone levels up but I am good with taking baby steps at this point. I do not want to relive what I went through this past summer with those awful side effects.

The holistic practitioner I was seeing ran blood tests which indicated my mold exposure was through the roof. She said she had never seen such high findings. The problem is we have no clue where I was/am being exposed. At the time it was late spring/early summer and she did say it was possible it was from exposure outside as we are avid cyclists and our cycling season was in full force at that time of testing. My dh felt sure it wasn't due to indoor exposure but I OTOH am not so sure. I know I should try finding someone to test both homes and figure out how to remediate the issue if it is one indoors but I haven't had the energy to do so at this time. Seems quite the overwhelming problem if we have indoor mold issues. The holistic practitioner said that most people won't react to it but because I am super sensitive it affects me whereas others wouldn't have any reaction.

How are you feeling? How is AIP going? Every week will get a bit easier. I just weighed myself and I have gained 2.6 lbs woohoo. LOL I never thought I'd be happy to gain weight haha but there you have it. Just don't want to go too far because with my messed up thyroid my metabolism is slow. But definitely want to be at a healthy strong weight to be able to fight infection and stay as healthy as possible. Plus at this age you know what they say...I need the extra lbs to soften my face.

I have been searching for you for a company who will ship AIP products to SG but so far no leads. There aren't so many companies who do AIP to begin with but I am not giving up. I thought I found someone but turns out she lived in SG for a few years and wrote an AIP cookbook of sorts but has nothing to do with shipping there and now lives back in the USA so she was no help whatsoever. But fyi here is her link and the book she wrote. She is also on IG if you want to check it out.

https://singapore.kinokuniya.com/bw/9780578135212

I did find some info re Paleo restaurants in SG but not sure that would be something that interests you plus Paleo is not AIP but you could order from that menu slightly altered dishes to make it AIP compliant.

http://www.mariefranceasia.com/food...riendly-eateries-singapore-244939.html#item=1

Not Paleo or AIP per se but again you could alter some of the dishes on these menus to make them AIP compliant.

http://www.mariefranceasia.com/food...estaurants-cafes-singapore-200057.html#item=1

An AIP recipe from SG and perhaps if you subscribe to her blog she will have some helpful info re local places?

http://www.healmeinthekitchen.com/2017/08/aip-paleo-keto-singapore-fried.html

This Author now lives in Canada but did live in and is originally from SG and wrote this while she lived there I think. Perhaps some useful info?

https://www.thepaleomom.com/guest-p...-pork-ribs-autoimmune-protocol/?cn-reloaded=1

Paleo in SG

http://www.paleomazing.com/paleo-recipes/paleo-in-singapore/

I am still searching though for a company who is AIP friendly and will ship to you. I'll keep you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results