shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston inspried setting by Mark T at ERD, allowing for a flush fit with the wedding band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2008 9:44:58 AM
March,

I love your Tacori setting and center diamond. I've been a little heart broken thinking I made the wrong choice when I cancelled my order with BB&B. I love your ring to no end, but I needed to make sure that I did more research and really felt like I got exactly what I wanted. In the end I think it worked out for the best, but we will have to sit down when this all said and done with a glass of wine on a bright sunny day to admire the e-rings side by side.

Aw, MP, how kind of you! I was lucky in that my fiance took me ring shopping with him, and when I saw the setting at BB&B... well, I just KNEW. We had no idea what size stone went in the center... it was just the perfect ring and love at first sight. So with my ring, I picked the setting and he found the center stone on his own. I already knew what my ring would look like when he proposed but I had NO idea how beautiful it would be with a real diamond instead of the stock CZ placeholder. (I actually worried I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Boy, was I wrong!)

20.gif

But I digress.

You have really put your heart into this, and are giving your adorable girl the ring of a lifetime. You have put so much of YOURSELF into this ring, as evidenced by your attention to detail and posts on this board. May every hope and dream you have now and for the future be represented by each diamond on the halo and band. Every one of those sparklers is significant and breathtaking. She'll be wearing YOU on her finger and she'll think of that every time she gazes at - or even glimpses - her hand.

MP, you totally hit this out of the park. She will be floored, thrilled..... WOW.

So - if you have gone to metal, WHEN DO YOU GO TO REALITY?? And by that I mean, when will the ring be finished and when do you plan to propose?

Does she have any inkling? I suspect that no matter whether she has an inkling or not, she's going to be on pins and needles on Valentine's Day tomorrow, wondering if a proposal is finally forthcoming.

(Sorry, just a small insight into the delusional workings of the female mind)
31.gif

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
Also, my wedding band will be a flush fit, single row micropave and also by Tacori. I think you were smart to insist on modifying the engagement ring design to allow for a flush fit with the thin shank. Personally, the symmetry of the two bands side-by-side was important to me in terms of appearance AND comfort.

So well-done there, too! Hurry, hurry Mark T./ERD!!! I can''t wait to see the finished project.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

designchica

Shiny_Rock
Hey MP,

I was also inspired by the Harry Winston ring that inspired you to do a Mark T replica and I sent my bf the pics and I''m pretty sure he''s getting a ring made for me through ERD also!!
36.gif
anyway, I just wanted to say that I am sure your girlfriend is going to be overjoyed and she sure is a lucky lady to have a man with such impecable taste!

I can''t wait to see pics of the ring on her finger!

MP

Shiny_Rock
Thanks March,
She doesn't have an inkling that it will happen soon. Over the last several months we've been ring shopping, but I told her point blank that I wanted to get an idea of what she liked so I could save up for something. She thinks it may coming this summer or by next Christmas. I will definitely do it before then. Her family has a beautiful beach house up on the Jersey shore in OC and I think we may take a long weekend in March. There are a lot of great places like the board walk or on a nice stretch of beach to get down on one knee and propose up there. Likewise, we will be close to her parents house so I will probably plan on getting dinner with her parents on Saturday and then propose that afternoon. That way she can show it off right away.

Should be a fun weekend, a great girl, and a great ring, you can't beat that.

You girls and your flush fit criteria are enough to make a man go crazy!!
9.gif

designchica,
Mark T is a wonderful designer and I'm sure you'll be happy with his work. Make sure that you make the design your own and not just a copy of a setting you like. That way you can always say this is a one of a kind ring. That's a pretty cool feeling.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I am a flush fit girl as well. I find it amazing that sooooo many e-ring styles nowadays will not allow a flush fit with a simple circular wedding band. I so totally agree with your lady, and love what you are doing.

Looking forward to pictures of the actual ring.
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2008 2:27:27 PM
Author: MP

You girls and your flush fit criteria are enough to make a man go crazy!!
9.gif
I''m so glad you listened to us about that, and she''ll be really glad too.
2.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
Just talked to Gary at ERD, there is a problem with the design allowing a perfect flush fit. Apparently to to the curve in the struts it will have a .3 mm gap. I''ve sent him some pics of a Mark Morrell setting with a very delicate Cathedral and we are re-working the design. I will keep you guys posted.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Update:

Well the designer re-worked the original design that I posted up in this thread to allow for the flush fit. I like the redesign even better than the original and all that needed to be done was some tweeks to the struts. I''m keeping this final design in the vault until I get the ring in had. I will let you guys see it when I take delivery.

Yay for me, my long saga is over.
36.gif

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
Yay, yay, YAY!! That''s super news. Can you post the reworked drawings, or does it really look much different?

Happy Valentine''s Day to you and your lady.
21.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
Hey March,
Sorry for the delay. Here is the reworked CAD images of the ring this one will allow for a flush fit. The struts had to be straightened slightly. I like the design even more now. What do you think?

FlushFitMT.jpg

MP

Shiny_Rock
One more with a wedding band.

FlushFitMT2.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh it looks great!! I reallly like the design a lot. just curious, is the wedding band going to be plain? if so, is there a reason you decided to do a plain band rather than a matching pave band?

MP

Shiny_Rock
The band is definitely not going to be plain. The designer simply put a band up to it virtually to make sure it will be a flush fit. I will be ordering a matching wedding band to the style of the setting at a future date.

Right now I don''t think I could handle the stress of waiting for two rings to come in. I''m anxious enough!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh cool. I was going to encourage you to do the matching band or at least wait until the ring gets done and let your gal decide what she wants. I just love matching pave bands with pave settings though.

how long did they say until the ring will be done? and how long will you wait to propose? i guess my real question is, how long do *we* have to wait to see pictures of the sweet masterpiece?
9.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree and will be giving her the option on the wedding band. Likewise, I took her ring shopping this weekend just to get some more input from her as to what she likes, obviously without letting on that I have something being built as I was talking to her, and there is no doubt this ring will blow her away. We looked at a ritani setting that was similar, but didn't have the design elements or the size rock that the one she will get has. She loved that setting, so the one I will be giving her is going to make her pass out.

I went ahead and finalized the design and wire the remaining balance to ERD last week. The went to metal on Thrusday night. I will probably be getting it at the end of the week after next. Not to worry Mrs. S I will be posting about a huge photoshoot thread.

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
I have nothing to add other than..... oh YES!

WOW.

It''s going to be absolutely breathtaking.

(And I''m cracking up that you took her ring shopping - great diversion tactic!)

My wedding band will be the matching Tacori micropave, incidentally. I too love the the look and continuity of the two pave bands next to each other.

Every once in a while, I take out that BB&B box from its hiding place and admire it. How surreal to think that in a just a few weeks I''ll be wearing it full time.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Anne,
I'm glad you like the setting. I am a little nervous as to how it will come out, but I'm sure it will look great. I added some design points from different settings that I liked into the ring. Basically when it's all said and done it will be a cross between a Ritani endless love and a Harry Winston. I made sure that the shank will be finished like the Ritani due to the fact that I'm not a big fan of the saw tooth look of the Harry Winston in terms of how the diamond meet the outside edges of the band. I want a clean line of platinum. Likewise, I went with a single halo as pictured because I want the halo to compliment the center stone without adding too much bulkiness to the entire ring. I'm crossing my fingers and trusting Mark and Gary down at ERD.

As far as this weekend goes it was amusing to watch her eyes light up and to have her joke around that she would run and get an orange julius to give me time to buy the ring behind her back. I just wanted to spill the beans right there and have her go nuts with excitement, but I have to be good about this. Likewise, I'm having a lot of fun being all sneaky about it. Not to mention being entertained when the sales people are pressuring you and I can remain so calm since I've already taken a lot of time and found a great ring. A couple of months ago I was really overwelmed with all the sales people and all the choices. Now I quiz them on their knowledge and haven't found a salesperson who can measure up to the pricescope level yet.

Until I propose the fun will conitnue, not in a Dr. Evil sort of way, but in a cute "can't wait to floor you honey" one.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
wow, what a great setting. I love the changes you made & how it will accomodate a flush fit wedding band. Your are such a sweetie & your future wife is a lucky lady.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, I''m glad you aren''t going to tease her in a Dr. Evil way!
9.gif

PS: The teasing is a great idea! I knew that my DH was going to propose, I had given him a picture of the ring I wanted about 4 months before he actually proposed, but he had convinced me that he didn''t have enough money to buy it yet. I ws totally convinced and so totally shocked when he popped the question! I''m sure your lady will love the surprise just as much as I did!

DD
35.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
MP, I had to come see the ring created by the center of the storm
9.gif
and I just wanted to say it looks like it''s going to be beautiful. Your fiance is gorgeous as well, and I hope you''ll be sticking around to show us photos of the finished product and tell us about her reaction.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your design is just outstanding! (Really, seriously!) I can''t wait to see the finished ring!!!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
MP, the cads look awesome! no, seriously, i only say what i mean...hehehe...

but yeah, really, i love the way you designed the ring, keeping in mind about the wedding band sitting flush. that was one of the very important priorities i had in mind when we made our ring too.
2.gif

your ring looks to be a beauty. i can''t wait to see the finished product. when will it be ready?

MP

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the votes of confidence in the design guys and not to worry Selkie I will be showing it off so you can see the finished product. Gary down at ERD was great in helping me achieve the look that I felt the ring needed to in order to make her happy. I'm hoping that it will turn out as nice as the CAD drawings. You girls are enough to make a guy go nuts with your flush fit criteria. It would have been a lot easier to order a Winnie setting from them and have reference material as to how the finished product would look.

Although, simply from the CAD drawing I like my design better. The lower donut in most non-cathedral halo settings is a bit over kill for me. It makes the ring appear to bulky. We'll see if those words come back to haunt me when I get the ring at the end of next week. I'm hoping to take delivery then and get rid of this little knot I've had in my stomach worrying about whether or not it is going to turn out beautifully.

It's a wating game for now.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
don''t worry, i''m sure it''ll come out beautifully. one more week. can''t wait to see the finished product.
36.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
The ring looks like it will be just beautiful, and your future fiancee will forever appreciate all the time and care you took to design something that is so tailored to what she wants in a ring.
1.gif

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait to see it! MP, do you have an exact delivery date yet?

I''ve gotta confess that I''m almost as excited about seeing your ring as I was to see my own.
21.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have an exact delivery date as of yet. I was told that they would need 15 working days to complete it. I sent the wire on February 13th and finalized the design on Valentine''s Day. They began that night, so I am about 11 working days from that point. I didn''t want to bother Gary at ERD to ask for an update since I was kind of being a little annoying for sure as I kept calling and e-mailing to discuss little points with him. I will ask for an update on Monday.

Does anyone know ERD''s policy on these pave settings, in terms of if a stone comes loose? or is that what incurance is for?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 9:48:03 AM

Does anyone know ERD's policy on these pave settings, in terms of if a stone comes loose? or is that what incurance is for?

i'm not sure what ERD's policy is so be sure to check with them. If a tiny pave set stone comes out they are usually only a few dollars and if it doesn't void an ERD warranty on the setting you can usually find a skilled local benchperson to fix it for you. It surely wouldn't warrant turning in a claim to your insurance company. I know many designer settings have to be sent back to the designer b/c if someone else touches the ring they will void their warranty on the setting. You'll just have to see what Mark suggests and offers. Personally, i'm kinda funny that I really only want the designer/maker touching or fixing the ring so if she does loose a stone, i'd probably just send it back to Mark for the repairs.

I am so excited to see how the final ring turns out and hope it's running on schedule for you...11 working days, yay!!!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 1:12:38 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/29/2008 9:48:03 AM

Does anyone know ERD''s policy on these pave settings, in terms of if a stone comes loose? or is that what incurance is for?

i''m not sure what ERD''s policy is so be sure to check with them. If a tiny pave set stone comes out they are usually only a few dollars and if it doesn''t void an ERD warranty on the setting you can usually find a skilled local benchperson to fix it for you. It surely wouldn''t warrant turning in a claim to your insurance company. I know many designer settings have to be sent back to the designer b/c if someone else touches the ring they will void their warranty on the setting. You''ll just have to see what Mark suggests and offers. Personally, i''m kinda funny that I really only want the designer/maker touching or fixing the ring so if she does loose a stone, i''d probably just send it back to Mark for the repairs.

I am so excited to see how the final ring turns out and hope it''s running on schedule for you...11 working days, yay!!!
I lost one of the stones on the halo and it was repaired same day at no charge. I noticed it the day after I got it sized, so chances are it got knocked out during the sizing process.

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
MP, I would have answered but all I have to go on is BB&B''s warranty... which is great as far as the micropave on my setting is concerned, but it won''t help you.
28.gif

Glad MrsSalvo and DMBsGirl had more pertinent information.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results