color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

ksinger|1289868505|2767467 said:
You guys have been having too much fun without me, so.......I'll retaliate with.....

I WON A BRIAN GAVIN DIAMOND PIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Congrats!!! :appl:

Please don't forget to post lots of photos when you receive the BGD diamond pin! :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1289865231|2767378 said:
I had a check up with my doctor today. I am having blood taken on friday to check my hormone levels. I keep having hot flushes and headaches. And my cycle is all over the place. :sick:

I'm sorry Maise! I just saw my ob/gyn today and oh joy, looks as if I am in perimenopause as well! ;(
I took a blood test on day 3 of my cycle and the results are in.
My FSH is 30 and my estrogens are 141. Well on the way though I have not missed a period yet. According to my doctor there is no way to know how long one will be in perimenopause so I am hoping menopause is a long way off. Never thought I'd say this but I am not yet ready to give up having my periods. Not for the periods of course but for the changes that I know are sure to come once they are gone for good. :blackeye:

I hope you get things sorted out and that you have a relatively easy time of things.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

missy|1289871247|2767546 said:
I had a check up with my doctor today. I am having blood taken on friday to check my hormone levels. I keep having hot flushes and headaches. And my cycle is all over the place. :sick:

I'm sorry Maise! I just saw my ob/gyn today and oh joy, looks as if I am in perimenopause as well! ;(
My FSH is 30 and my estrogens are 141. Well on the way though I have not missed a period yet. According to my doctor there is no way to know how long one will be in perimenopause so I am hoping menopause is a long way off. Never thought I'd say this but I am not yet ready to give up having my periods. Not for the periods of course but for the changes that I know are sure to come once they are gone for good. :blackeye:

I hope you get things sorted out and that you have a relatively easy time of things.
I've got my gyne tomorrow. Oh, joy!! And I'm having my period to top it off.

Labs from last month did finally get me a bit of a diagnosis. I am hypothyroid, have low Vit. D, and am slightly anemic. The thyroid meds have helped me have more energy. I'm still hurting though. Hope to get some more strategies for that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Congratulations Ksinger! Mine came today and it is soo beautiful!

Uppy, isn't there a small Yuki, and you have one?? I think I need that one instead.

Is having your hormones checked the way to know you're starting menopause? I mean, once you start having all the weirdness start?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Small Yuki doing duty right this moment!

I haven't had my hormone levels yet. Guess I'll be doing that tomorrow too. :???:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is having your hormones checked the way to know you're starting menopause? I mean, once you start having all the weirdness start?

You have to get the blood test on day 2 or 3 of your period. It needs to test for FSH and estrogens and TSH.
It is not an exact test and cannot tell you where in perimenopause you are but it can tell you a good amount of info.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable|1289871538|2767556 said:

I've got my gyne tomorrow. Oh, joy!! And I'm having my period to top it off.

Labs from last month did finally get me a bit of a diagnosis. I am hypothyroid, have low Vit. D, and am slightly anemic. The thyroid meds have helped me have more energy. I'm still hurting though. Hope to get some more strategies for that.

Hi Uppy,
What are you doing to get your Vit D levels up? Make sure any supplement you take is D3 (not D2). Your blood levels should be at least 50 or more. As long as they are under 100 you are good. I take 10,000 IU's of D3 a day and my blood levels are 92.3 which is good for me and my overall general health. I feel much stronger since I have been megadosing with D3 (for about 2 years now).

I'm glad to hear your thryoid levels are better since taking thryoid meds. (It's amazing how our bodies turn on us just when we need them most).It can take time for things to level out. Hope you feel better soon!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I'm taking 2000 IU of D3 a day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable|1289873449|2767603 said:
I'm taking 2000 IU of D3 a day.

How long have you been taking 2000 IU's of D3 and what are your vit D serum blood levels in ng/ml?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Just one month. I'll probably have followup labs tomorrow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It can take time to build up your serum d levels so don't worry if it is not much higher than where you began. The estimate is that you raise your serum levels by 10 for every 1000Iu's you take.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks Uppy! I thought so. Is it smaller around than the regular one? I've got the regular one, and I've had for MONTHS and never used it. For the life of me, I don't know if it's just some sort of mental block or I'm weird but it seems so ginormous, even folded over, and I just can't insert it.

JD's going in later this winter to have a vasectomy, and I'll keep using the Nuvaring until he gets the "all clear" from the Dr afterward, and then I'm going to quit using it and get my hormones checked..maybe a month or few after I quit and the rings hormones are out of my system so I know it's all me.

Think I'm going to go back to taking my VitD supp too. It's 2000IU. I don't recall how many I was taking a day..1 or 2. It's D3.

Going to see about having a baseline mammo done too. Sounds so weird to be having to think of all these things! :rodent:

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Aoife|1289868013|2767454 said:

I'm sorry, Maisie, it sure sounds hormonal. The headaches were what used to knock me out, so you have my sympathy.

I hate the headaches. I still get them at 54, but not as bad. Mine were/are vertical rubber band snaps in one eye, never horizontal, never both eyes. Maybe only one, snap, out of the blue. I know the other kind too, where you wake up and feel it before you even open your eyes. Those stay with you longer, huh?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Pink Tower|1289880715|2767763 said:
Aoife|1289868013|2767454 said:

I'm sorry, Maisie, it sure sounds hormonal. The headaches were what used to knock me out, so you have my sympathy.

I hate the headaches. I still get them at 54, but not as bad. Mine were/are vertical rubber band snaps in one eye, never horizontal, never both eyes. Maybe only one, snap, out of the blue. I know the other kind too, where you wake up and feel it before you even open your eyes. Those stay with you longer, huh?

The headaches were the thing that could literally knock me out for 10+ hours. I never got the "snaps," Pink Tower, I got the migraine-type with sensitivity to light, sound and smells. The snapping you describe sounds worse, to me. How long do those go on, and was there anything that you could take to get them to stop?

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

No, the vertical snap headache is not that bad, Aolfie. They just come from out of the blue punch you in the eye, and leave. You never know when they will come up is the only thing. Like, you might be driving, or being introduced to someone and then, snap! But the long lasting ones are much worse.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I have been in menopause over 5 years (I'm 54) and I have never had a hot flash or anything else that many women experience with going through menopause and have never been on HRT. I keep active and eat right. About the only thing I experienced going through perimenopuase was staying asleep through the night, but no longer have that problem.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

My doctor is testing me mid cycle. He obviously doesn't know what he is doing. I wish lived in the US. You get much better treatment. I am going to ring up and ask to change the appt. You would think he would know when to test! Bah!

I am at risk of early menopause and my younger sister is already well into hers. She has lotions and potions and all kinds of meds just to keep her on some kind of comfortable level.

My moods are all over the place too. One minute i'm happy, the next in tears. And the hot flushes are horrible. Its like someone has turned up my thermostat and I just roast.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1289910765|2768029 said:
My doctor is testing me mid cycle. He obviously doesn't know what he is doing. I wish lived in the US. You get much better treatment. I am going to ring up and ask to change the appt. You would think he would know when to test! Bah!

I am at risk of early menopause and my younger sister is already well into hers. She has lotions and potions and all kinds of meds just to keep her on some kind of comfortable level.

My moods are all over the place too. One minute i'm happy, the next in tears. And the hot flushes are horrible. Its like someone has turned up my thermostat and I just roast.

Maisie,
He may know what he is doing as we don't know exactly what blood tests he is planning for you. Perhaps it isn't to test your FSH and estrogen. I don't want to give you misinformation- it is best to call and see what he is thinking before you cancel.
Also, it could be another hormone issue you are experiencing and not necessarily perimenopause though the symptoms may be similar.

Sending good vibes your way and big hugs. Try not to worry. Even if it is perimenopause as soocool and your sister demonstrate there is much you can do to remain comfortable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

soocool|1289909068|2768011 said:

I have been in menopause over 5 years (I'm 54) and I have never had a hot flash or anything else that many women experience with going through menopause and have never been on HRT. I keep active and eat right. About the only thing I experienced going through perimenopuase was staying asleep through the night, but no longer have that problem.

That's great you are doing so wonderfully soocool! Gives us all hope! :appl:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy|1289913548|2768072 said:
Maisie|1289910765|2768029 said:

Maisie,
He may know what he is doing as we don't know exactly what blood tests he is planning for you. Perhaps it isn't to test your FSH and estrogen. I don't want to give you misinformation- it is best to call and see what he is thinking before you cancel.
Also, it could be another hormone issue you are experiencing and not necessarily perimenopause though the symptoms may be similar.

Sending good vibes your way and big hugs. Try not to worry. Even if it is perimenopause as soocool and your sister demonstrate there is much you can do to remain comfortable.

Thanks Missy.

He is testing for perimenopause. He told me that much. I might give him a call just to make sure that I shouldn't be tested on day 1-3. I have had fertility tests done before and they were done then. That was a long time ago though. Maybe things have changed.

What other hormone issue could it be? Could I be lacking in something due to another reason? :???:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thyroid could be causing some of the symptoms so that needs to be tested as well.
The perimenopause blood test I took had to be done on day 2 or 3 of your period.

Good luck Maisie!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy|1289913883|2768082 said:
Thyroid could be causing some of the symptoms so that needs to be tested as well.
The perimenopause blood test I took had to be done on day 2 or 3 of your period.

Good luck Maisie!

I had my thyroid checked a couple of years ago. Could it have changed over that time?

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Through my forties, I was on prometrium. This is a progesterone capsule. Only in the last year have I changed to Femhrt, which also contains estrogen. You may need prometrium for years before menopause. Talk to your physician. You do not want a synthetic, you want true progesterone (PROMETRIUM is the only brand, as far as I know) capsules, available by Rx only.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1289915378|2768137 said:
missy|1289913883|2768082 said:

Good luck Maisie!

I had my thyroid checked a couple of years ago. Could it have changed over that time?

Yes it could have changed. 2 years is a long time.
In any case they should test thyroid and TSH along with FSH and estrogen.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

missy|1289913591|2768073 said:
soocool|1289909068|2768011 said:

That's great you are doing so wonderfully soocool! Gives us all hope! :appl:

I stayed on the pill well into my 40s and by my mid to late 40s I started getting terrible migraines (are there any other kinds?) the week I was off the pill. The doctor said as long as my bp was ok it was Ok to stay on it. He never suggested testing my FSH levels. I got so sick and tired from suffering from the "I woke up with a migraine" feeling and being nauseous , and wondering if this could lead to a stroke, I stopped the pill on my own. The headaches went away and never came back.

Later when I saw my gyno almost a year later and told him that my periods stopped he asked about hot flashes, night sweats, etc. I said I had none. He was concerned that I was producing estrogen so he made me take progesterone for about 7 days every few months to see f my period would return. It never did. But couldn't he have tested me rather than give me progesterone?

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

Howdy, Ladies! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I've been maddeningly busy lately-just when I think my schedule is at it's max, something else gets added! I've been thinking of all of you and sending out good vibes. Hope you are well.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK Ladies.....I've created 4 topics in FHH related to BTDT issues. Let's see if we can get enough participation long-term to get our own forum. Feel free to add topics as you see fit.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Matata|1289971136|2769605 said:
OK Ladies.....I've created 4 topics in FHH related to BTDT issues. Let's see if we can get enough participation long-term to get our own forum. Feel free to add topics as you see fit.
I have brain fog. Please explain what you are talking about. I did not get it when DD suggested it and U said it was a good idea, either. What are y'all talking about?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I think we're trying a hostile takeover of FHH. Well, not so much hostile as just leaving our crutches and sweaty night clothes about where everyone else trips over them. Then maybe they'll give us a forum of our own to dirty up! :naughty:

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Matata|1289971136|2769605 said:

Thanks Matata! :wavey: I just inserted my 2 cents in those 4 threads and will comeback later to jump right back in. Hopefully we'll get good discussion as well as laughs there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results