shape
carat
color
clarity

Gene's newest stones (precision gem)

Just want to say, I really appreciate you posting the series of these responses.

I want to go a step further and say that it seems to me, that it's outright deceptive to consumers when a gemstone has color changes, and the vendor does not post pictures or videos of the various main colors, particularly when leaving out that particular color would lower the price of the item. I'm not talking about posting pictures from every angle, any time of day and night, any type of lighting conditions imaginable. I'm talking about if the color shifts from say, pink to orange to brown, as the 3 predominant colors, then all 3 colors need to be shown in photos as a general guideline to inform the consumer before they make a purchase. It is not ok to mislead by omission, that is, only posting the pictures of the stone when it's showing pink and orange, while intentionally leaving out any pictures of the gem showing brown, a less desirable color in this case. Something that could drastically change the consumer's choice to make the purchase or not, crucial information that helps the consumer make an informed choice, must be disclosed or shown upfront. Without a return policy to protect the consumer, this would be absolutely deceptive and I'd not be a happy consumer.

I'm not talking about the specifics of this pad, as I did not carefully look at the photos or videos that were posted, nor am I only talking about pads in particular. In this case, a proper return policy was in place, so no harm done. What's most troubling are the custom cuts where refunds are not offered and the consumer is SOL in those circumstances, although I suppose they could file a dispute with their credit card for product or service not matching what's been advertised.

Related, while I'm on my rant, the same applies to colored gemstones, moissanites, diamonds and what have you, that have bow ties. I find it just as deceptive when the vendor intentionally does not show or disclose the negative aspects of a stone in order to induce the consumer to purchase, and/or to purchase it at a higher price.

I appreciate you saying so! As you mentioned, we're speaking generally and not about Precision Gem or any particular instance. But I agree. That is why forums such as PS are so valuable... more than anything, I feel like it teaches you which questions to ask before purchasing. I'm a collector, so I'm always looking out for the consumer. I do try to put myself in the shoes of vendors, as well. At the end of the day though, every purchase is a learning experience, regardless of how adept you are at buying (or selling). And transparency is crucial, especially as we move into higher-priced stones, because even an infinitesimal difference in hue or saturation, among other factors, can exponentially increase or decrease value. Thanks for sharing! :)

clairebc

Rough_Rock
I love the sapphire! First image is under indoor lighting at night. Second image is by the window on an overcast day, late afternoon (I dropped it behind the couch after taking this pic !!).

So in real life, under the conditions of the second picture, the stone actually shows a vibrant teal-ish color! Proved impossible to capture! Do iphones auto-adjust the color or something!?

IMG_1836.PNG

IMG_1860.jpg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Do iphones auto-adjust the color or something!?

Yes, all phones do computational photography. You think you're taking a single photo but they're actually making several at different exposures, and then processing them, stitching them together, adjusting colour, exposure, sharpness, HDR, everything.

Your phone isn't trying to capture a true to life photo, it's trying to make you a photo it thinks you will like.

Give it some time (and some several dozen attempts :mrgreen: ) and you'll eventually manage to capture a photo or two that more accurately resemble what you're seeing with your eyes. Until then, just enjoy your stone!

clairebc

Rough_Rock
Yes, all phones do computational photography. You think you're taking a single photo but they're actually making several at different exposures, and then processing them, stitching them together, adjusting colour, exposure, sharpness, HDR, everything.

Your phone isn't trying to capture a true to life photo, it's trying to make you a photo it thinks you will like.

Give it some time (and some several dozen attempts :mrgreen: ) and you'll eventually manage to capture a photo or two that more accurately resemble what you're seeing with your eyes. Until then, just enjoy your stone!

I guess must keep buying gems so I can get some photography practice :lol:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Haven’t posted in a long while but I submitted an order for the Spessartite. I have been watching his drops over the last couple of years and this one was too good to pass up. I’ll post pictures when it arrives, unless somebody beat me to it.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Spess is so pretty! I love spess!!!
Me too. It’s an underrated gem for sure! If I wasn’t in the process of setting one right now, I’d have jumped all over that baby. :kiss2:

Haven’t posted in a long while but I submitted an order for the Spessartite. I have been watching his drops over the last couple of years and this one was too good to pass up. I’ll post pictures when it arrives, unless somebody beat me to it.
I’m sorry you didn’t get it. It‘s a real beauty and I was sorely tempted to buy it too. Ah well, at least our wallets will thank us. :lol:

Omg the spess
I know! Did you watch the video? It looked so vibrant. I’m hoping a PSer bought it so we can see more pics. :kiss2:

Lovey Lace

Rough_Rock
Two new stones today. According to Gene’s website, the garnet is new “Dragon garnet” from out of Tucson.

836522E4-2B01-4C58-89BA-5FDBD1DCC3C4.jpeg

I'm going to ask Gene if he could cut the dragon garnet in a different shape and size if he has more material available. I've been looking for a pinkish garnet for a while now.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Two new stones today. According to Gene’s website, the garnet is new “Dragon garnet” from out of Tucson.

836522E4-2B01-4C58-89BA-5FDBD1DCC3C4.jpeg

I love that spinel and a dragon garnet is now on my wishlist! :love:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I found the photos and I think I bought it. I entered paypal, but it never took me to the pp site. Just said a receipt would be in my email. We'll see.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@momofive That tourmaline has a very cool cut! Can't wait to hear what you think!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I admit, it was an impulse buy, as I haven’t been on the CG forum in years, but I just think the color would go with so much and I love the concave cut. I’d never seen one like that. I would like to do a bezel setting but don’t know yet what to do with the diamond chips. I like the play of warmth and the diamonds. I think it will help to keep it casual so I can where is during the day.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did get the email. Just didn't know how it all works. I am fascinated by this stone and would love to make a pendant with small diamond melee I have from my Mom's wedding ring.

How exciting! I just watched the video that shows the side view and I love the high crown on the stone. The concave cuts show a lot of personality. It’s a nice size for a pendant too!

clairebc

Rough_Rock
I got opal (my first one!) from Gene's latest batch. It has a lovely play of color, and looks great in person.

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

With flash!! Excuse the weird picture, I took it while under a blanket...
IMG_2500.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got opal (my first one!) from Gene's latest batch. It has a lovely play of color, and looks great in person.

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

With flash!! Excuse the weird picture, I took it while under a blanket...
IMG_2500.jpg

Congrats. It looks gorgeous. I love those pinky red flashes! :kiss2:

ETA: Which opal was it in the line-up? Top right or bottom left? I’m totally curious. Plus, great score on that one.

clairebc

Rough_Rock
Congrats. It looks gorgeous. I love those pinky red flashes! :kiss2:

ETA: Which opal was it in the line-up? Top right or bottom left? I’m totally curious. Plus, great score on that one.

Top right! I'd say in real life it looks somewhere between my photos with and without flash, quite pleased!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so curious about this dragon garnet, it's new to me. I want to know the deal! Is it like Bekily?

I’d love to know more details as well. I really loved the look of the one he sold a couple weeks back (see my post on Feb 8th for that pic). I’m curious to know if it’s a newly found gem or just fresh marketing. Either way, it sure is a pretty color. :mrgreen:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Actually the dragon garnet IS newly discovered in 2022. There's a seller on IG (& Etsy) called Ravenstein. They have several of these and the listings for them have a detailed history. It's a bright medium pink tone in normal light but a firey dayglo color under UV light. It changes color in daylight, soft light, warm light too. The pieces are mostly sub 1 ct.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results