shape
carat
color
clarity

Gene's newest stones (precision gem)

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the same thing. I’m actually pretty surprised the first pink sapphire is still available. :kiss2:

I'd buy that pink sapphire in a second if I had the budget, it would fit perfectly in a setting I have, but no $$$ right now, as I have three "$$$" in the works.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd buy that pink sapphire in a second if I had the budget, it would fit perfectly in a setting I have, but no $$$ right now, as I have three "$$$" in the works.

How exciting! I’d love to hear more if you want to share (pics always welcome). ;)2

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! I’d love to hear more if you want to share (pics always welcome). ;)2

1st one is on layaway with GildedLane - you'll recognize the ring when you see it. Hope to get it out of prison in a week or two, but it needs sizing so may be a month or more before I see it.
2nd is two of my colored stones (yellow sapphire and tsavorite - both ovals) with Hunt Country Jewelers which is local to me here in NoVA.
3rd is a Tsavorite that Jeff White is cutting for me from rough he picked up at
the Arizona gem show.
I just had a bunch of stone sets / resets done, but alas, many of those would need to be shared in a different forum as the main colored stones aren't earth mined.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Just curious…what’s the appeal of the lab stones? Is it mostly because of Gene’s skills? No judgement, genuinely curious.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious…what’s the appeal of the lab stones? Is it mostly because of Gene’s skills? No judgement, genuinely curious.

Likely the same reason people buy lab diamonds. You get a look (size, perfection of color/cut) that you could otherwise not afford. Because they are chemically the same, they have the same properties as natural stones (as opposed to simulants). No worries about ethical sourcing.

Personally, while I have no problems with diamond simulants, I find lab CS stones don't give me the same satisfaction..there is something amazing to me about the variety nature brings us with CS - imperfections and all. (That being said, I have set two lab stones from Gene - they are gorgeous even if it isn't the same feeling as natural).

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st one is on layaway with GildedLane - you'll recognize the ring when you see it. Hope to get it out of prison in a week or two, but it needs sizing so may be a month or more before I see it.
2nd is two of my colored stones (yellow sapphire and tsavorite - both ovals) with Hunt Country Jewelers which is local to me here in NoVA.
3rd is a Tsavorite that Jeff White is cutting for me from rough he picked up at
the Arizona gem show.
I just had a bunch of stone sets / resets done, but alas, many of those would need to be shared in a different forum as the main colored stones aren't earth mined.

Ooh, so many great projects going at once. I’ll be interested in seeing which piece you got from gildedlane. I had a tsavorite cut by Jeff fairly recently too. Mine is small but mighty (because that color packs a punch!).

Are you doing a bypass ring with the yellow sapphire and tsavorite?

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
While I was learning about emeralds, Chrono suggested looking at synthetic emeralds for top colour examples and TL suggested seeing top color emeralds at a fine antique jewelry shop. I did both, which included buying a lab emerald from Gene. It did serve its educational purpose well. I also plan to wear it during travel to certain countries.

I am with Lilmosun though; I love my muzo emerald way more than the lab emerald: my muzo is simply much more stunning and has such intriguing depth and livelihood. Still, I would not shy away from lab stones, especially for the types (e.g., ruby) that I do not plan to buy natural.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, so many great projects going at once. I’ll be interested in seeing which piece you got from gildedlane. I had a tsavorite cut by Jeff fairly recently too. Mine is small but mighty (because that color packs a punch!).

Are you doing a bypass ring with the yellow sapphire and tsavorite?

I am still in the design phase with Hunt Country Jewelers, but I think we are moving away from a traditional bypass and toward a horizontal stack if that makes sense. Hunt Country is known for their gorgeous free-form gold work, so I'm leaning in that direction so it's a more unique look.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New drop. I’m loving that sweet little emerald :kiss2: but I must resist. I’m on the hunt for a round for a preloved setting (and isn’t that always harder than it looks).:lol: That zircon looks absolutely delicious!

05156EA8-6933-4BB6-AACF-BDE9FC190928.jpeg

053F7C3A-8FB6-410B-8920-A534363AF34F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
New drop. I’m loving that sweet little emerald :kiss2: but I must resist. I’m on the hunt for a round for a preloved setting (and isn’t that always harder than it looks).:lol: That zircon looks absolutely delicious!

05156EA8-6933-4BB6-AACF-BDE9FC190928.jpeg

053F7C3A-8FB6-410B-8920-A534363AF34F.jpeg

I love that emerald! Such a nice color!

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I got the apatite and it is a gorgeous! In general it is a blue with noticeable green in it. I would describe it as a peacock blue, but different people may think differently of peacock blue. It remains beautiful in different lighting, although I think there is some color change: sometimes more blue sometimes more blue-green.

In shade, showing more blue here but eyes see more green than the camera.
IMG_7016.jpg
In direct sun. The picture cannot do it justice; the stone is crystal and glowy in the sun, like light penetrating deep blue-green water.
IMG_7071.jpg

In shade: interesting play of blue and green here:
IMG_6999.jpg
In sun:
IMG_7004.jpg

Low light:
IMG_7051.jpg

Overall, the peacock blue I mostly saw is difficult to exactly capture. I bought it knowing apatites are often compared to paraibas. After seeing it, I don't care how it compares with paraiba; I love it as it is!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got the apatite and it is a gorgeous! In general it is a blue with noticeable green in it. I would describe it as a peacock blue, but different people may think differently of peacock blue. It remains beautiful in different lighting, although I think there is some color change: sometimes more blue sometimes more blue-green.

IMG_7016.jpg
In direct sun. The picture cannot do it justice; the stone is crystal and glowy in the sun, like light penetrating deep blue-green water.
IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg
In sun:
IMG_7004.jpg

Low light:
IMG_7051.jpg

Overall, the peacock blue I mostly saw is difficult to exactly capture. I bought it knowing apatites are often compared to paraibas. After seeing it, I don't care how it compares with paraiba; I love it as it is!

Wowzers! That is a big and beautiful gem! :kiss2:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_7016.jpg
IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg
In sun:
IMG_7004.jpg

Low light:
IMG_7051.jpg

Saved your pics!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_7016.jpg
IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg
In sun:
IMG_7004.jpg

Low light:
IMG_7051.jpg

The first pic looks a bit like blue zircon, does this align with what you see in person? Generally it shows a slightly darker tone across various lightings as shown in the photos than many paraiba we see on the internet, and this gives an impression that it’s also more saturated in colour. Just my thoughts~

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
The first pic looks a bit like blue zircon, does this align with what you see in person? Generally it shows a slightly darker tone across various lightings as shown in the photos than many paraiba we see on the internet, and this gives an impression that it’s also more saturated in colour. Just my thoughts~
No, the stone does not look like a blue zircon. Other than my first picture above, the others show the stone quite different from a blue zircon. When the environment is bright (e.g., in my first picture), my iphone camera capture mostly blue while I see bright greenish blue (peacock blue to me). Indoor my camera makes the stone look darker than it is.
Gene's picture is quite accurate (see below), but his video of the gem also shows it more blue.
Gene2940.jpg

It is definitely different from paraiba's famous Windex blue (based on online pictures since I have not seen one in person), but it is very saturated without being dark or having grey. I really like this greenish blue.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
No, the stone does not look like a blue zircon. Other than my first picture above, the others show the stone quite different from a blue zircon. When the environment is bright (e.g., in my first picture), my iphone camera capture mostly blue while I see bright greenish blue (peacock blue to me). Indoor my camera makes the stone look darker than it is.
Gene's picture is quite accurate (see below), but his video of the gem also shows it more blue.
Gene2940.jpg

It is definitely different from paraiba's famous Windex blue (based on online pictures since I have not seen one in person), but it is very saturated without being dark or having grey. I really like this greenish blue.
Thank you for sharing more your in person observations~
You’ve got a stunning rock:)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_7016.jpg
IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg
In sun:
IMG_7004.jpg

Low light:
IMG_7051.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your pics! It’s lovely…and huge (a knock-out combination)! :kiss2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ah, I missed another drop! :boohoo:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I missed another drop! :boohoo:

Happens to me all the time. :doh:A real shame because I would have been all over that green tourmaline.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
As soon as I got the email of the latest drop today, I went to peruse the new inventory. I put the stone in my cart and checked out, happily waiting for my invoice. Unfortunately, I received an email saying the stone sold before my order came in, even though it was available on the site and didn’t show sold out until I checked out. This is the second time this has happened - beyond bummed out!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
As soon as I got the email of the latest drop today, I went to peruse the new inventory. I put the stone in my cart and checked out, happily waiting for my invoice. Unfortunately, I received an email saying the stone sold before my order came in, even though it was available on the site and didn’t show sold out until I checked out. This is the second time this has happened - beyond bummed out!

@jaqjaqjaq I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get the stone you wanted! I’ve had that happen a few times! It’s disappointing I know! Tonight I got lucky and got the green tourmaline. I hope you are just as lucky as I was the next time you find a stone you love! Don’t give up, it will happen!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I’m so glad that delicious aquamarine is gone so now I can get on with my life. I’m already waiting on a ring that’s being made so can’t buy another stone right now, or at least not without making my partner really mad haha. If anyone on here got it, pretty please post pics when you receive it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results