shape
carat
color
clarity

Gene's newest stones (precision gem)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't think Gene meant to insult any of us. Surely he's smart enough not to do so intentionally. Maybe he has a different perspective because people he knew were affected by the government shutdown. I can sympathize that yes, if I were in that situation, and my bank account is dry because it's all tied up in pretty rocks, I would have wished I kept it in savings instead.

And maybe it was an attempt at dry humor? Even if it wasn't, we should at least accept that to some people, jewelry is useless. I never wore jewelry until I got engaged. My parents were not brought up with jewelry, and my mother never wore makeup either.

What I find silly about the whole situation is that if we are letting money slip through our fingers by buying jewelry, then how useless is it to buy expensive lapidary equipment to cut gemstones as a hobby? Sure, it may have turned into a successful business, but you couldn't have known from the get-go it would be a success, can you?

Last edited:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So weird all the Posts from Gene from Precision Gem in this thread in which he claims that we should know better than spending money on something as useless as jewelry: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-are-you-paying-for-your-designs.247037/

I don't think this represents what I said at all. I never said you should know better than spending money on jewelry. What I did say was I surprised how much the typical settings people were buying cost. I don't set stones, I had a few set years ago for family members I don't think any cost more than $100.
Obviously many people here are in a position to do so. 4 or 5 thousand represents the take home pay for 2 months for most Americans, so for the average person to spend that much on such an item is way out of their scope.

Reactions: mdi

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair point @prs

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I had a super long hard day yesterday and today was equally frustrating (just work stuff). I probably need to cool off. I was surprised and pissed off, but people do deserve benefit of the doubt.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think this represents what I said at all. I never said you should know better than spending money on jewelry. What I did say was I surprised how much the typical settings people were buying cost. I don't set stones, I had a few set years ago for family members I don't think any cost more than $100.
Obviously many people here are in a position to do so. 4 or 5 thousand represents the take home pay for 2 months for most Americans, so for the average person to spend that much on such an item is way out of their scope.
I don't think PS is exactly representative of the general population though... I think the people here can generally afford what they are buying. The people who can't usually arent buying it. Let alone buying bespoke jewellery.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously I’m a fan of your cutting, Gene. It’s the reason I started this thread and it’s the reason I own 7 of your gems (4 natural/ 3 lab). I will continue to buy from you because, as I said, I admire your work. I like knowing I own one of your gems...they are special to me. It feels very much like “The Hunger Games” when you upload new gems to your site (thankfully, no gem related deaths reported yet). It’s exciting to try for one and even more exciting when It turns out you got it. When I open up a package from you, I’m thrilled. I immediately start daydreaming of how I will set it. When I do get around to setting those gems, I am going to pick something to my taste that best highlights that particular gem. Probably with a halo...because I love a good halo. :kiss2:Since most of the gems I buy are not in calibrated sizes, my obvious choice is a custom setting. Unfortunately, with custom settings one must be willing to pay a custom price tag. And if you’re going to pay for something it sure as heck better be something you’ll love...because why would you buy it otherwise?

The settings I spend hours dreaming about and drawing on scrap paper are special to me. Each ring I create is meant to be equally as beautiful as the gems they showcase. Each setting is a piece of art. Something to treasure. Something to pass down to your children or loved ones. Each and every one of my rings brings me great joy. Their value is in the joy I feel every time I look down at my hand and see something beautiful sparkling back at me. Or in the fun I have sharing them with my friends in real life, here on PS, and on instagram. Their value may feel superficial but to the many people that have spent their hard earned time and money on a special ring, it feels anything but superficial.

Having said that, I completely understand that gems and jewelry are in no way a necessity. They should absolutely be secondary to our basic needs (food, shelter, caring for our family and our future). But, if you’ve worked hard and you’ve covered all your bases and you’ve saved your pin money, there should be no reason to fault someone for spending some of it on a pretty ring...however expensive. I’d love to be able to afford some of the high end pieces I’ve seen here. I don’t fault anyone that can afford to own them...they’re gorgeous after all. I’m sure some people would love to be able to afford the more reasonably priced custom pieces others like myself own...still gorgeous, of course. And no one can deny how happy they are when they make it into the “$1250 and under thread” because everybody loves a bargain (am I right?). But no matter how much you spend on a setting, it is the joy you get from wearing it that matters.

Last edited:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I found it like slightly condescending, to be honest. Just my two cents, but a purchase should be a positive thing, not one where you're judged by the vendor... like seriously you're on a jewelry enthusiasts forum, know your audience! I hope I don't get the lilac sapphire I tried for this morning, just kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. End rant :lol-2:
As the OP of the referenced thread, I too was quite befuddled about his comments- I mean, what he was saying just didn't make sense to me. :confused:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Actually, what befuddles me is the lack of damage control. :confused: Even if some people let it go, there are still people who are sour.
It seems that every attempt he makes at damage control results in the hole getting deeper. As someone in either this thread or the other one advised him "quit digging!"

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
It's so disrespectful to other artists too. David Klass, for example, has always been so good to me about working on my budget and creating what I really love. It's really upsetting to see a cutter essentially say "It's perfectly logical to spend hundreds or thousands on my stone, but then just stick them in a $20 setting from Marshall's because what the other guy does is pointless."

mdi

Shiny_Rock

I hear what you're saying -- obviously one has to be pretty privileged to afford something beautiful, happiness-inducing, meaningful -- and yes, functionally useless -- as a piece of custom-made jewelry. I think people tend to get a bit annoyed when this kind of privilege is called out, even in an oblique way.

And yeah, it is a huge amount of privilege to be able to afford precision cut gemstones with custom-made settings -- something I never would have even considered for myself two years ago when I was making $14/hour as a medical office receptionist with a masters. So I know a thing or two about being broke.

But I also volunteer a lot with non-profits where there's this popular saying "Don't yuck my yum," which essentially means don't crap on something that brings other people a lot of joy. So I can see why people--especially your customers--were unhappy, but I hear what you were trying to say. Of course food and heating comes first, but if someone has a little extra cash and sparkly stones make him/her happy, who's to say that's a waste of money?

I'm sure we all have lots of stupid interests that waste money. I, for one, enjoy buying sweaters for our double-coated dog. He doesn't need them, he probably hates them, but man oh man does he look adorable in his woolies.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear what you're saying -- obviously one has to be pretty privileged to afford something beautiful, happiness-inducing, meaningful -- and yes, functionally useless -- as a piece of custom-made jewelry. I think people tend to get a bit annoyed when this kind of privilege is called out, even in an oblique way.

And yeah, it is a huge amount of privilege to be able to afford precision cut gemstones with custom-made settings -- something I never would have even considered for myself two years ago when I was making $14/hour as a medical office receptionist with a masters. So I know a thing or two about being broke.

But I also volunteer a lot with non-profits where there's this popular saying "Don't yuck my yum," which essentially means don't crap on something that brings other people a lot of joy. So I can see why people--especially your customers--were unhappy, but I hear what you were trying to say. Of course food and heating comes first, but if someone has a little extra cash and sparkly stones make him/her happy, who's to say that's a waste of money?

I'm sure we all have lots of stupid interests that waste money. I, for one, enjoy buying sweaters for our double-coated dog. He doesn't need them, he probably hates them, but man oh man does he look adorable in his woolies.

“Don’t yuck my yum.” I like that. Both true and fun to say. :D

I’d love to see a pic of your sweet dog in a sweater ...:mrgreen2:
I once had special Christmas outfits made for my two dogs. That’s right, I had them made to their measurements because they are pugs and the store bought stuff wouldn’t fit them properly. But gosh darn it, they looked downright adorable. :lol:

mdi

Shiny_Rock
“Don’t yuck my yum.” I like that. Both true and fun to say. :D

I’d love to see a pic of your sweet dog in a sweater ...:mrgreen2:
I once had special Christmas outfits made for my two dogs. That’s right, I had them made to their measurements because they are pugs and the store bought stuff wouldn’t fit them properly. But gosh darn it, they looked downright adorable. :lol:

You are a perfect dog parent in every way. I aspire to the sort of greatness that is custom canine couture -- not even kidding! :)

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The term "mansplaining" came to my mind because we all already know about the economic situation in the US especially after the government shut down. We didn't need Gene to tell us about it! His post definitely came across as condescending to me, though I realized he may not have intended it to be taken that way. It was incredibly tone deaf, considering the audience :(

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'm a man (last time I checked, at least) and I gave up "mansplaining" a long time ago.;)2
One important thing I learned from my days in the military was "Keep your mouth shut unless you've got something meaningful or important to say", but when you do open your mouth, "be damned sure there's no mistaking what comes out of it!"
That second part comes much too easily for me, sometimes to the dismay of my employees and coworkers. :lol:

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium

there is privilege in class, absolutely but there is also privilege in the fact that almost everyone on this forum are citizens of first world, western countries. gene is in the global 1%, we all are. i could argue that none of us need our pets, our cars, most of our clothes, our phones, our computers, etc. so it kinda appeared tone deaf and maybe not completely understanding of the issue to MERELY call out the people who buy his stones for their jewelry. it came off as condescending because the very same could be said about him being in the global 1%. so like... i'm kind of annoyed because i don't really think that he added anything of value to the conversation?

we can have conversations of class, income disparity, privilege, all of these things... but to act like someone buying jewelry is the height of privilege is just completely misunderstanding of the issue and imo condescending to do on a forum that is specifically geared towards jewelry hobbyists.

Last edited:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a man (last time I checked, at least) and I gave up "mansplaining" a long time ago.;)2
One important thing I learned from my days in the military was "Keep your mouth shut unless you've got something meaningful or important to say", but when you do open your mouth, "be damned sure there's no mistaking what comes out of it!"
That second part comes much too easily for me, sometimes to the dismay of my employees and coworkers. :lol:
Very well said, SouthernGent, thanks for sharing your viewpoint :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think "mansplaining" is taking things out of context. I don't want to point any fingers, but I do feel that what Gene originally said has been interpreted in a way that reads between the lines and quite possibly attributes more negative associations to the statement than what is actually there. I'd rather avoid loaded terms like "mansplaining" because if that's a thing then maybe "womansplaining" is a thing too.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't take Gene's response as a personal attack so much as gut surprise reaction on what folks spend after purchasing a stone. Perhaps what set off the reaction is it isn't what one would expect, and a little out of touch imo and inappropriate, from a vendor in the business...which led to posts that perhaps put both sides on the defensive.

I do think what we see spent here is beyond comprehension for most. Admittedly, despite having no major bills, even I freak when I look at my own spend and have at times wondered how what seems like so many others can afford it. But then I remember that PS is just a small microcosm/niche community. All of our circumstances are different and hopefully, no one is doing it in lieu of putting food on the table or a roof over their head.

I'm just happy that so many like Gene make such fantastic stones, which can't be found in your average store, affordable for the rest of us. If you look at their time and costs, it's really an act of love for what they do. I wouldn't have the collection I do without Gene and others. So if a vendor has been reputable in their product and customer service, such as Gene has, it would take more than a random non-personal comment/opinion for me to walk away. But that's just me.

Gene- while you might be surprised, it's a compliment that we see your work and that of others like you as something worthy of spending money to showcase.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been a while since there was a dramatic thread on PS so I guess we are overdue. Hope everyone can take a chill pill. I think it's gotten blown way out of proportion.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I think what Gene needs to do is give an apology for the misunderstanding to those who were offended. I am not offended, since I do know jewelry is frivolous, but it does make me think twice about buying from him if this is how he handles customer conflict.

I always think businesses could use a PR person to guide them through marketing. A business doesn’t always have to follow the “customer is always right” mantra, but they do need to learn how to compromise. Even if he is a good guy, this situation is hard to look at that.

Last edited:

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
OK, maybe it’s a little too soon, but I’m going to ask what I’m sure others are wondering too...

Are any of you planning to resell the gems you’ve purchased from Gene or the jewelry you’ve created with his gems???

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I own none of his stones yet. But having one eventually is still a dream of mine and has been for years. So I am still planning on buying from him someday when we are no longer poors who do need to choose between wants and needs. I was a teensy bit taken aback by the comment but hey. We all put our foot in our mouth sometimes and I don't think it was intentional :)

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a bunch of pretty stones in my gem box. I look at them and enjoy them and I've actually never thought about the mindset of the person who cut them. I admire what's his name (Roger?) the guy who started a charity for the miners that he sees each year, and I contribute to that. But the cutter? What he thinks? Not on my radar. Chill, people. Life is too short. If he cuts a pretty stone, then buy it. If it's wonky, then don't. You are buying the expertise, not his opinion.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a bunch of pretty stones in my gem box. I look at them and enjoy them and I've actually never thought about the mindset of the person who cut them. I admire what's his name (Roger?) the guy who started a charity for the miners that he sees each year, and I contribute to that. But the cutter? What he thinks? Not on my radar. Chill, people. Life is too short. If he cuts a pretty stone, then buy it. If it's wonky, then don't. You are buying the expertise, not his opinion.

I'm with you on this :) the stone sparks joy. Not the cutter.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-jewellery-that-gives-you-comfort.245298/

Gene - if you’re reading, why not have a look through this thread. There’s countless stories of jewellery bringing comfort and joy, through the generations in a lot of instances. I feel that we perform our best in life when we love both what we do and the impact it has on those around us. Who knows, if you ignite/reignite your love for your product and where it ultimately resides, your cutting may get even better.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene- I LOVE your lab emeralds! Are you cutting any more soon? I'd love to do a three stone with with some OEC sides....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to update here rather than doing any more thread-jacking on @SouthernGent 's thread. I spoke with Gene via email, and he kindly provided more context for his comments. I (and many others) were obviously offended and took it as judgmental, but he assured me he didn't mean it that way, and gave some background about where he was coming from. I'm happy he did so, because I no longer feel hurt (and can certainly admit I got mad quickly after a crappy few days), so I was part of the issue. My order is being fulfilled, and I feel good about how we left things. Just wanted to put it out there!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s my 2.14ct violet sapphire from Gene. She is a shifty girl. Hates the car (the grey comes way out). Loves it outside and under indoor lights. Here’s a million pics. Just trying to give an accurate representation. :mrgreen2:

Indoor lighting:
F047D245-CF45-4AA5-969E-2AFAE08B8B1D.jpeg

D76E5E9F-18E7-4429-AF2E-96356B7BC559.jpeg

B73B9C04-F523-4E8F-A7CB-6CD98623B498.jpeg

B6763019-C1C7-4BCD-9DB6-91522821827D.jpeg

Outdoors:
84FA20C6-E398-4E56-9525-87C6927A7937.jpeg

6AF8E65A-AA53-49A0-97CF-BC5155FA26B0.jpeg

E63DD765-4B87-4C57-9B4D-D60097913799.jpeg
I love this stone so much @elle_71125 ! She has a lot of personalities and they are all beautiful :love:.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I got an email an hour ago, followed the links, and found that his latest two stones sold out. I just can't seem to grab anything good that I need from Precision Gem o_O. They sell way too quickly, and I don't get the notification until (at worst) a few days later!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results