shape
carat
color
clarity

How much are you paying for your designs?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'm wondering what a reasonable cost is to have a ring designed for a certain stone I want to have set. Now, I know that the amount of gold and the carat-weight of the gold makes a huge difference in cost of the final production, but what are y'all paying to have rings designed for your stones up until the gold is actually poured?
Let's say I send a stone to a designer along with several photos of examples of a ring pretty much exactly like I want - what would be a reasonable fee for him/her to design the setting, make it, and have the stone set?
For my personal setting, I'm talking about something relatively uncomplicated like this one:
31750_A_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it might seem uncomplicated, bezel skill is more important and difficult than prong setting. I’d want to see examples that the bench has executed. I look at the finish and details matter even more on designs with very clean lines.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
While it might seem uncomplicated, bezel skill is more important and difficult than prong setting. I’d want to see examples that the bench has executed. I look at the finish and details matter even more on designs with very clean lines.
Understood. What I meant by "uncomplicated" was the lack of engraving, carving, or other embellishments.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve worked with David Klass on my last two custom pieces and he quoted me one price that includes the CAD plus revisions. I don’t know how many rounds he’ll do before charging more as I’ve only had to do two for each piece.

Cost really depends on materials and complexity so I’d suggest getting quotes from multiple jewelers.

The process with David Klass:
  1. I sent him my inspiration pic with detailed notes
  2. He provided a quote
  3. I shipped him my gems
  4. He sent me a CAD (if you want this done before sending him your gem, he will gladly)
  5. I reviewed the CAD and asked for revisions
  6. I signed off on the second CAD
  7. He sent pictures & a video of the finished pieces for me to approve
  8. I asked for additional changes, which he made
  9. I paid

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I never paid separate for designs: it was part of the complete project
Yeah, I guess that's what I was asking about - the whole she-bang, minus the stone, which I will provide.
I've sent David Klass a message and will see what he says. I also have two other folks locally that I'm going to be checking with too, but I'm just trying to get some ballpark numbers to work with.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve never paid for the design separately either, David Klass’s fee includes everything, from CADs to the finished ring.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve never paid for the design separately either, David Klass’s fee includes everything, from CADs to the finished ring.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I guess that's what I was asking about - the whole she-bang, minus the stone, which I will provide.
I've sent David Klass a message and will see what he says. I also have two other folks locally that I'm going to be checking with too, but I'm just trying to get some ballpark numbers to work with.
I have paid between 850€ and 8.500€ for settings depending om design or designer.
In this thread you will find rings (stone and setting together) below 1250€

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a quote of about $1200 for everything but the metal/stones not that long ago....My ER setting was a little more if I take out the materials cost. Both of those jewelers were in Texas fwiw.

The couple of quotes I've gotten from David Klass have been about 30% lower than my local jewelers so he's a great option to add to your consideration set.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’ll depend on the bench. Could be $1K to $3K on something like that.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Thanks y'all.
I intend to make it really easy for whoever designs it because I'm going to send them a picture of an actual ring and say to them "make me a ring just like this to fit my stone". :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish it were that easy. You’d be surprised that there’s more to it than that.

Baregems

Rough_Rock
Trade
In my opinion it should not cost more than $1000. Usually the mold is about $200 + metal + labor + stone setting = price. A ring like that even at 10dwt which is a very heavy ring in 14k white gold will cost about $380 at today's gold price (I usually figure a 5-10% premium or slightly more if you are using the jewelers gold). So figure $580 max (more than likely the ring will weigh 3-8dwt and therefore cost less in gold weight). Plus the labor and you got your price more or less. I think it really depends on the jeweler in terms of how much they charge for labor.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found a used setting on Loupe Troop that needed a new head (prongs were shot) and a bit of jeweler’s work (labor costs). My jeweler said it was still a bargain because “You’re going to pay $1000 for a gold ring.” That is kind of a low ball number without diamonds, and maybe not taking into account that a man’s ring would be heavier.

I find DK to be reasonable, and if you can find a skilled local jeweler, you might be surprised at what they can do to tweak a Stuller design to fit your stone. I get the feeling jewelers would rather deal with prongs than bezels.

I like your classic design and can’t wait to see the results!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't buy any custom setting for $20 @PrecisionGem Especially custom shapes and sizes. Impossible to get anything hand forged or with diamonds for $20 either. The setting fee alone for a coloured stone is at least $50 and upwards.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can't buy any custom setting for $20 @PrecisionGem Especially custom shapes and sizes. Impossible to get anything hand forged or with diamonds for $20 either. The setting fee alone for a coloured stone is at least $50 and upwards.
I realize that its not possible to set a stone for that price. At our house we just couldn't justify thousands for dollars for something that is basically useless.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize that its not possible to set a stone for that price. At our house we just couldn't justify thousands for dollars for something that is basically useless.

Do you also realize you're a lapidary berating and judging the people who would buy shiny rocks from you so you can buy groceries and heat your home?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

well it's interesting, i've seen a few threads where people value the stones (like yours!) so much they are willing to put them in very fine settings, sometimes way more expensive than the gems themselves. seems like there's a wide range of incomes and lifestyles among PSers and i'd bet many would argue the beauty of the object is its utility... it's a luxury to be able to have something around just because you like looking at it though for sure =)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A often used mantra of the self-employed/entrepreneur is "I am not my target client"

OP - I know you haven't mentioned using silver/plat silver, but wanted to add that even custom casting in silver isn't 'cheap'. It's still a lot of custom chargeable work.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....what? I'm really confused, because I feel like you are insulting all the forum members who buy stones (ahem, like yours), and then love them so much they want to set them. How is that "useless"? All jewelry is "useless", I guess, but we like it. Hence the forum.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you also realize you're a lapidary berating and judging the people who would buy shiny rocks from you so you can buy groceries and heat your home?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I don't think I berated or judged anyone, only stated that our household couldn't afford thousands of dollars for jewelry, food and heat are pretty much a necessity.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I berated or judged anyone, only stated that our household couldn't afford thousands of dollars for jewelry, food and heat are pretty much a necessity.

You then called the settings/jewelry "useless".

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Of course not, the stones are very useful! They are used to be set into jewelry.

I also said "basically useless". So aside from the satisfaction of looking at it, what are the other useful things that you can do with jewelry that would warrant a few thousand dollars? Assuming that a few thousand dollars is noticed in your budget.

Durning the partial government shutdown, we kept hearing that most people live from pay check to paycheck and missing a check would pretty much put them into deep financial trouble. I would think that the average person couldn't justify thousands for a piece of jewelry. Thank god for the top 1% or so who can !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results