shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Jewellery That Gives You Comfort

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several beautiful RHR's, from my Great Aunts pearl & OEC cluster from around 1900, to my Madagascar hot pink sapphire in a simple platinum solitaire, a gift from my husband when our eldest daughter was born. But I mostly reach for my Grandmother's original engagement ring from 1937. It is an 18ct yellow gold ring, platinum topped & set with tiny, but firey, OEC's. It is very much not blingy. When I am stressed or upset, or just generally in a flap, I need this ring on my finger. I inherited it when I was 16, almost (but not quite!) 30 years ago. We have been through thick & thin, travelled the world & had some really, really long conversations.

So show me, do you have a piece of jewellery that you find yourself reaching for in times of stress or when you need comfort? Please share your stories IMG_20181130_194921.jpg IMG_20181130_194914.jpg

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have several beautiful RHR's, from my Great Aunts pearl & OEC cluster from around 1900, to my Madagascar hot pink sapphire in a simple platinum solitaire, a gift from my husband when our eldest daughter was born. But I mostly reach for my Grandmother's original engagement ring from 1937. It is an 18ct yellow gold ring, platinum topped & set with tiny, but firey, OEC's. It is very much not blingy. When I am stressed or upset, or just generally in a flap, I need this ring on my finger. I inherited it when I was 16, almost (but not quite!) 30 years ago. We have been through thick & thin, travelled the world & had some really, really long conversations.

So show me, do you have a piece of jewellery that you find yourself reaching for in times of stress or when you need comfort? Please share your stories IMG_20181130_194921.jpg IMG_20181130_194914.jpg
Such a great thread and so much sentiment in your post Alex T, I agree jewelry has so much meaning in our lives we associate memories with a person or place in the past and if nothing it just makes you feel better and cheers you up! Thanks for sharing - I don’t have anything from my grandma but reading your post makes me wish I did - that’s a beautiful ring and to think you’ve had it from the time you were sixteen - wonderful!

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6FE3721B-D75A-4195-BF58-4E5BC7D6DE1B.jpeg I like everyone else here love jewelry and wear a piece or more every single day, but sometimes if I’m going through a bad phase or feeling depressed and couldn’t care less about dressing up even when going out, I pick up this one piece which makes me feel stronger. It’s my opal and diamond cross and I wear it on a thin cartier chain. Here is a picture...
CFE24330-3ABC-4E8A-8DB1-D34CAA70EF77.jpeg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I’m a bit odd but my “comfort thing” is actually to clean and polish my jewellery.
I find it very calming and joyous to careful bring my pieces up to maximum sparkle and I enjoy admiring the workmanship and natural beauty of the gems as I go.
My favorite pieces remain my engagement ring, opal bracelet and, as well, now my Alexandrite bracelet.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6FE3721B-D75A-4195-BF58-4E5BC7D6DE1B.jpeg I like everyone else here love jewelry and wear a piece or more every single day, but sometimes if I’m going through a bad phase or feeling depressed and couldn’t care less about dressing up even when going out, I pick up this one piece which makes me feel stronger. It’s my opal and diamond cross and I wear it on a thin cartier chain. Here is a picture...
CFE24330-3ABC-4E8A-8DB1-D34CAA70EF77.jpeg

This is a beautiful cross. Those colours are lovely ❤️

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I’m a bit odd but my “comfort thing” is actually to clean and polish my jewellery.
I find it very calming and joyous to careful bring my pieces up to maximum sparkle and I enjoy admiring the workmanship and natural beauty of the gems as I go.
My favorite pieces remain my engagement ring, opal bracelet and, as well, now my Alexandrite bracelet.

Usually my jewellery gets a quick whip round with a baby toothbrush & hot water, but I do love it if anything goes to the jewellers for a good clean. I find I need to touch & talk to my gran’s ring, which is a habit from when I was 16. Perhaps i’m just odd!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also really loved my grandma, but unfortunately she didn't wear jewelry so I don't have that sort of memento from her. Although she did leave behind gold pieces, they were never worn by her and just collected for monetary value so I don't feel the need to wear them.

I do have this small butterfly ring from my husband, which he gave me on an important birthday because "butterflies symbolize change". When I'm having a bad time, I reach for this ring and feel more hopeful for things to turn around.

RpQmUmO.jpg

Incidentally, butterflies also connect me to my grandma, as she taught me how to cut my first paper butterflies (hers were and always will be better though, she was an amazing artist).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also really loved my grandma, but unfortunately she didn't wear jewelry so I don't have that sort of memento from her. Although she did leave behind gold pieces, they were never worn by her and just collected for monetary value so I don't feel the need to wear them.

I do have this small butterfly ring from my husband, which he gave me on an important birthday because "butterflies symbolize change". When I'm having a bad time, I reach for this ring and feel more hopeful for things to turn around.

RpQmUmO.jpg

Incidentally, butterflies also connect me to my grandma, as she taught me how to cut my first paper butterflies (hers were and always will be better though, she was an amazing artist).

I absolutely live your butterfly ring & the sentiments behind it! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful pieces shared here.

Lots of pieces bring me comfort and joy. Maybe I’m too easy lol. :oops2:

My great grandmother’s rIng because I associate it with my grandma. My opal from my parents for what it represents. Their incredibly strong and loving relationship with each other and with us. And finally my OEC. I finally found my HG OEC which goes with my HG dh. Not a complete list but these are the highlights for me. I also have pearls from my grandma I cherish and other pieces that are meaningful but those are the top 3.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
85D71B23-EF4A-40AD-8F06-DE7BE8091738.jpeg

This piece is one of my favorites. I bought it from an estate case at a jewelry store I worked at part time 8-9 years ago. I think it’s the only jewelry I’ve bought impulsively because I feel in love with it at first sight. It was in a state of disrepair, but cleaned up beautifully. They are all Australian coins from 1941-1944, slightly domed, linked together, & joined with a sister clasp. It’s considered a sweetheart bracelet, something sent home to a loved one during WWII. I don’t know much of it’s specific history, but it’s been a piece I’ve worn consistently through the years.
Now just the weight of it gives me comfort, especially when going to an event that I’ve been dreading or makes me nervous. (I always make sure to wear it when visiting my in-laws:lol-2:)

EllenS1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This piece is one of my favorites. I bought it from an estate case at a jewelry store I worked at part time 8-9 years ago. I think it’s the only jewelry I’ve bought impulsively because I feel in love with it at first sight. It was in a state of disrepair, but cleaned up beautifully. They are all Australian coins from 1941-1944, slightly domed, linked together, & joined with a sister clasp. It’s considered a sweetheart bracelet, something sent home to a loved one during WWII. I don’t know much of it’s specific history, but it’s been a piece I’ve worn consistently through the years.
Now just the weight of it gives me comfort, especially when going to an event that I’ve been dreading or makes me nervous. (I always make sure to wear it when visiting my in-laws:lol-2:)
So lovely! A piece of history on your wrist!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jbake This is lovely. And can you imagine the stories it could tell you!?! I suspect just feeling the weight of it on your wrist let’s you know it’s there & all is well with the world =)2

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
@jbake This is lovely. And can you imagine the stories it could tell you!?! I suspect just feeling the weight of it on your wrist let’s you know it’s there & all is well with the world =)2

@EllenS1 Thank you!

@Alex T Thank you, too! It’s over 50 grams (& I was able to buy it for silver scrap price :shock: ) so it has such a nice heft & is quite long, so it slides around a lot, too.
I do wish I knew more about it’s former life! If I remember correctly, it was brought in by one of our regular customers along with several other things & sold for gold/silver weight. It was broken through some of the links & completely tarnished. The customer couldn’t believe it was the same bracelet after our jeweler fixed it up. (She was adamant that she did not want to repair it, just to sell it.) Her husband inherited it from his aunt (along with other treasures) when she passed away. She lived a full & colorful life in Australia. I think she even played tennis on a professional/semi professional level. That’s the extent of what I know/remember, I would love to have met her!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do also have 1 piece of jewellery that gives me an enormous sense of pride.
It was the first piece of jewellery I ever bought and I was 11 when I bought it.
It cost $10.50 and when your pocketmoney is 10 cents a week and extra chores earn only another 5 cents, it takes a long long time to save up $10.50.
It took me over a year to save up.
9ct gold in a horseshoe shape and a tiny tiny Ruby in the centre.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Do you have a picture of your horseshoe piece? I’d love to see it!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8381912A-5521-441E-8B3B-52710A726CB6.jpeg
My comfort pieces. I love my snake, a little gold pet who goes everywhere with me, and the band was my Mom’s wedding band. I get comfort from it not because I think of her, but because for me it is like having my step father with me. He was a generous kind and wise man. He picked it out for her and he is my role model.
This guy :love: img_3942.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My comfort pieces. I love my snake, a little gold pet who goes everywhere with me, and the band was my Mom’s wedding band. I get comfort from it not because I think of her, but because for me it is like having my step father with me. He was a generous kind and wise man. He picked it out for her and he is my role model.

:love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the ring and the story!
Hmm. Don’t have anything that brings me comfort in terms of emotional sentiment. But I do wear a rolling ring on my thumb that is basically my fidget toy and often the only thing that keeps me quiet and focused at meetings. I play with it constantly.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 1.19ct EC in its forever home is my pride and joy, with a bit of sorrow in the mix.
It has huge sentimental value, in that it was bought with the money I saved for 5 years with the intention to go on a big holiday with my then hubby.
However by the time the saving plan had finished, I decided to part company with him, and bought the stone instead.
It was the first significant jewellery purchase of my own, and I am very proud of it.
With the help of PS, I chose and went to Diamondhouse in Antwerp to pick the diamond myself.
I was not too keen on its original setting - I did not know much about what I like in ring settings back then, and left it to their bench to decide.
The original ring was made in time for my 40th birthday, and it took another 10 years before I had it re-set in its forever home, after I had learnt that it was highly unlikely for our wedding rings to have been used to make the new setting, hence the setting had no sentimental value to me anymore.
I wear it whenever I can, to give myself a mental boost.
The EC in its original setting and the new setting:
ecsemimounthandshot03.jpg

Hand shot of the EC in its forever home the day I collected her from the local jeweller that re-set the stone (the setting was made by diamondmounts in China, another PS recommendation):
ecreset_a.jpg

DK :mrgreen2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 1.19ct EC in its forever home is my pride and joy, with a bit of sorrow in the mix.
It has huge sentimental value, in that it was bought with the money I saved for 5 years with the intention to go on a big holiday with my then hubby.
However by the time the saving plan had finished, I decided to part company with him, and bought the stone instead.
It was the first significant jewellery purchase of my own, and I am very proud of it.
With the help of PS, I chose and went to Diamondhouse in Antwerp to pick the diamond myself.
I was not too keen on its original setting - I did not know much about what I like in ring settings back then, and left it to their bench to decide.
The original ring was made in time for my 40th birthday, and it took another 10 years before I had it re-set in its forever home, after I had learnt that it was highly unlikely for our wedding rings to have been used to make the new setting, hence the setting had no sentimental value to me anymore.
I wear it whenever I can, to give myself a mental boost.
The EC in its original setting and the new setting:
ecsemimounthandshot03.jpg

Hand shot of the EC in its forever home the day I collected her from the local jeweller that re-set the stone (the setting was made by diamondmounts in China, another PS recommendation):
ecreset_a.jpg

DK :mrgreen2:

I never knew the story behind your emerald cut before, just that you treasure it & love it. Now I understand why! And it really is such a beautiful stone & must give you enormous pleasure & satisfaction to wear ❤️

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have my late Aunts’ wedding ring (1957) that is set with two small “illusion” set diamonds. The ring used to be a size 9 and in bad shape so I had it cleaned up and re-sized to fit me. (Wish I had a “before” Photo... ). I treasure this ring as she was my fav aunt and we were close and she was a strong influence in how to live life and in marriage.....I wear the ring often and esp. on church holidays such as Christmas and Easter. She and my Uncle were instrumenteal in taking us kids to church and to this day oh, so many decades later I still feel their presence with me during services....I can practically see them a pew or two in front of me! They always sat in the second pew....never in the back! Miss them lots!

My pear shape solotaire engagement ring still thrills me to this day, too!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my late Aunts’ wedding ring (1957) that is set with two small “illusion” set diamonds. The ring used to be a size 9 and in bad shape so I had it cleaned up and re-sized to fit me. (Wish I had a “before” Photo... ). I treasure this ring as she was my fav aunt and we were close and she was a strong influence in how to live life and in marriage.....I wear the ring often and esp. on church holidays such as Christmas and Easter. She and my Uncle were instrumenteal in taking us kids to church and to this day oh, so many decades later I still feel their presence with me during services....I can practically see them a pew or two in front of me! They always sat in the second pew....never in the back! Miss them lots!

My pear shape solotaire engagement ring still thrills me to this day, too!

Pictures! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the ring that started my love affair with old cuts...and the ring that brought me comfort all through my young adult years. It is no longer my ring to wear so it no longer brings me comfort but I got to visit it this past weekend and all the warm loving memories came rushing back. Truly the ring that started it all for me before I even knew what old cut diamonds were all about. All I knew is no other ring or diamond did it for me like this ring did and in fact wore it all through my single years not caring what people thought.

My great grandmother's ring.

basketcloseupgreatgrandmaring.jpg.png

profilegreatgrandmasring.jpg.png

topviewgreatgrandmaring.jpg.png

shankgreatgrandmaring.jpg.png

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I also really loved my grandma, but unfortunately she didn't wear jewelry so I don't have that sort of memento from her.

rambling

One of mine was my mother who made me who I am... - a woman whom I have never seen wearing any jewelry at all. I am not entirely sure why, since she certainly loved other beautiful things and understood art and the other sports of beauty like few others folk I have met since. Yet, no jewelry. Not that there was much around in our neck of the woods, so I understand that she was simply exercisig good taste in this, as in every other way, in fact. However, grandfather had his way, so I have received my first jewelry from him: in fact, he so encouraged me to exercise every chieldish whim in this regard, that I must have exhausted every wish of owning jewelry by the age I got bored with toys... Of course, I had no notion of value (not that much has changed?)

- hoping you might be amused by the random confession... I am finding myself thinking allot of my unusually old & grand- parents, around this time of the year (b-day impending).

[note toself: picture of pendant due!]

This piece is one of my favorites... the only jewelry I’ve bought impulsively because I feel in love with it at first sight.

Wow! I sure do feel the same seeing the pictures. Such a nice find!

Same design as a necklace would be in my (folk) tradition, but I have never dared wear such a horde. A bracellet seems possible... especially if the coins get worked a bit (therefore loosing numismatic value too, conveniently). Intriguing plan, to say the least.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom passed away when I was eight from cancer. She always wore her wedding set and bangle bracelets. The bracelets were just costume, probably from Avon but she wore a stack of them and they made that tinkling noise all the time. I think she just loved sound because she also loved music boxes.

The wedding set was stolen from our previous home in a burglary so this bangle is all I have left of her jewelry. I don't really wear it but it's at least a piece of her that is something I know she really enjoyed.

IMG_1824.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results