Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

From Halo to Solitaire... Who's been happy with it?

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
I feel like there have been several threads on "halo to solitaire"... but all I can find is "soli to halo" threads.

So I'm in the process of doing this, and I need all the "feel good" I can get, as this is a big (and costly) transition for me. ;)) I love my halo, but I think the time has come for a simpler, more streamlined (i.e. "kid-friendly") setting. I'm thinking Harry Winston-esque 4 prong style with tapered baguettes, but not 100% just yet. However, I'm upgrading to a larger stone and higher color (from J to I)...

So if you've gone from a halo to soli, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about it. What made you change? Are you happy about it? Did it take a lot of getting used to? Do you miss your halo sometimes? Do you ever think of going back? What do you like best about your soli?
I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone! Thanks! :wavey:
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,607
I just wanted to say that I am excited for you!!! I have kind of observed that some people get kind of tired of whatever they have and just want to try the other! In many cases, going to a solitaire from a halo with the same diamond will cause major DSS! However, since you are upgrading diamond size, I think that is perfect! I think you'll love the solitaire as a mom who probably washes hands a lot! Are you keeping your halo for a colored stone RHR, by chance? I have always thought it was such a pretty setting! I don't know the size of your new stone, but I thought I'd mention that m2b has her former solitaire setting by Victor Canera listed on JBG and it might be a nice option at a discounted price if it was a good fit! I find choosing a setting a lot harder than choosing the diamond!

I've always had a round solitaire e-ring, though, and I don't regret that at all. I like halos for my occasional wear rings.

Can't wait to see your new diamond! :appl:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
diamondseeker2006|1454964157|3988481 said:
I just wanted to say that I am excited for you!!! I have kind of observed that some people get kind of tired of whatever they have and just want to try the other! In many cases, going to a solitaire from a halo with the same diamond will cause major DSS! However, since you are upgrading diamond size, I think that is perfect! I think you'll love the solitaire as a mom who probably washes hands a lot! Are you keeping your halo for a colored stone RHR, by chance? I have always thought it was such a pretty setting! I don't know the size of your new stone, but I thought I'd mention that m2b has her former solitaire setting by Victor Canera listed on JBG and it might be a nice option at a discounted price if it was a good fit! I find choosing a setting a lot harder than choosing the diamond!

I've always had a round solitaire e-ring, though, and I don't regret that at all. I like halos for my occasional wear rings.

Can't wait to see your new diamond! :appl:
Thanks, ds! You're right about losing the halo with the same size stone -- I knew that would NEVER work for me. I will be selling my halo setting to offset some of the cost of the upgrade. In a perfect world, I would keep it and put a CS in it, because I really love it... but I'll certainly need the funds for the bigger diamond.

Also, thanks for the heads up about m2b's setting. I will look at it as soon as I get a chance! I'm looking at stones in the 9.5mm-ish range, so hopefully DSS won't fall on me anytime soon! ::)
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,475

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 27, 2013
Messages
641
I had a halo and moved to a solitaire. I'm enjoying the change but, yes, I do miss the finger coverage sometimes.

Width of first bezel+halo was 12mm (8mm MRB center stone). Upgraded the center to an OMC 8.5mm simple solitaire. The solitaire is different feeling but satisfying - I think it's because I changed the size/shape/dimensions. I am, however, debating changing the setting and if I go the halo route, it will be a thin halo, a la VC or LM. Or may just pick a different solitaire setting. Ugh, decisions, decisions, am in no rush.

I think your transition will be fine since your new solitaire will be a great size! You may have moments here or there when you are "homesick" for the halo but they'll be fleeting.

I can't wait to see your new ring!! I'd love to rock a 9.5mm-ish solitaire! :love:
 

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 18, 2015
Messages
165
I did it. Like you, i upgraded size to keep the finger coverage consistent. I don't miss the halo per se, but i do miss the sparkly bling factor that came with the pave halo. My current setting is a temp and is plain white gold. I think my permanent setting will have pave on the shank because even with a large center stone, the solitaire (for me) feels a little bit ho hum. don't get me wrong, i love plain solitaires on others, i think they're very classic. but I miss the sparkle, for myself.

however my new stone is an OEC (for the moment anyway :sun: ), which i think calls for a little more adornment. i might feel differently with an MRB.
 

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
3,769
Having gone through this scenario plenty of times, I have learned that I am a halo girl! I have tried pave solitaires and plain solitaires but always end up missing the massive finger coverage and bling that a halo provides. I went back to a solitaire BC my jeweler hasn't been able to design a halo that I am 100 percent happy with so in the meantime, I am making do with my solitaire. I've dressed it up with a wrap and that's really helped, but I think it's only a matter of time before I relapse and go back to my halo. What I do love about the solitaire is how easy it is to wear and care for. Congrats on your upgrade! Maybe set it in an inexpensive solitaire until you decide what you really want?
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,565
I did it.... And DSS set in even with a larger center stone. I will say I think I prefer the look of a solitaire I just didn't go up enough in diamond size to compensate for the Real Estate covered by a halo.

I had a 1.3 AGS 000 in a halo G color and I went to a 2.0 AGS 000 I color in a solitaire (I just listed it with Grace). I have some ideas about what I want and I'm likely going to stick with solitaire. But it will be closer to 2.5 cts.

I will add that hanging out here with all the beautiful settings makes it very difficult to choose and/or settle.

_1933.jpeg

_1934.jpeg
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,780
I am a solitaire girl for my ER and have never had a halo ER but if it's OK will share a few thoughts with you.

I have a few halo rings and I love love love them on my right hand. They are blingy and showy and very attention getting and perfect for a RHR (for me). But reserved for my ER will always be a solitaire because to me it feels more like an engagement ring where the diamond is the star of the show. For me that is an ER. The classic and always elegant solitaire. Also when I do wear my halo RHRs it doesn't compete with a halo ER because that would be too much for me.

Now as in everything bling and life related YMMV but that is my take on it. A solitaire ER is a classic that will always be a classic but you have to go with what makes your heart sing and there is no right or wrong when it comes to this question.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
Dancing Fire|1454982441|3988603 said:
[quote="msop04|


Also, thanks for the heads up about m2b's setting. I will look at it as soon as I get a chance! I'm looking at stones in the 9.5mm-ish range, so hopefully DSS won't fall on me anytime soon! ::)

Go for it!. I am a solitaire man. I found your stone!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/3.018-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-104052954001[/quote]

...so is my husband, DF! HA! :lol: :lol:

What a gorgeous stone! Unfortunately (or fortunately??) I'm tied to the place where my stone was purchased (Diamonds Direct). They will give me 110% back on an upgrade with no restrictions or minimum amount to spend. :bigsmile:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
UrsTx|1454984900|3988621 said:
I had a halo and moved to a solitaire. I'm enjoying the change but, yes, I do miss the finger coverage sometimes.

Width of first bezel+halo was 12mm (8mm MRB center stone). Upgraded the center to an OMC 8.5mm simple solitaire. The solitaire is different feeling but satisfying - I think it's because I changed the size/shape/dimensions. I am, however, debating changing the setting and if I go the halo route, it will be a thin halo, a la VC or LM. Or may just pick a different solitaire setting. Ugh, decisions, decisions, am in no rush.

I think your transition will be fine since your new solitaire will be a great size! You may have moments here or there when you are "homesick" for the halo but they'll be fleeting.

I can't wait to see your new ring!! I'd love to rock a 9.5mm-ish solitaire! :love:
Thanks for your honesty, UrsTx! I know I will miss all the sparkly (and finger coverage) every now and then... and will eventually go back to a halo -- maybe -- but a very thin one like you described (VC/SK style). My first love was a solitaire, but not with the stone I originally had. I'm hoping my new stone will be a fresh new look! :D
 

Tourmaline

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 17, 2013
Messages
1,795
I really wanted a halo, but my husband didn't (doesn't) like them, so my first setting was a solitaire with pave. The pave drove me crazy, because it out-whited my center stone. So...not quite a halo to solitaire (so the finger coverage isn't part of it), but I have loved my ring immensely more without any tiny white diamonds stealing the stage. :)
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
Veltiesmom|1454990206|3988645 said:
I did it. Like you, i upgraded size to keep the finger coverage consistent. I don't miss the halo per se, but i do miss the sparkly bling factor that came with the pave halo. My current setting is a temp and is plain white gold. I think my permanent setting will have pave on the shank because even with a large center stone, the solitaire (for me) feels a little bit ho hum. don't get me wrong, i love plain solitaires on others, i think they're very classic. but I miss the sparkle, for myself.

however my new stone is an OEC (for the moment anyway :sun: ), which i think calls for a little more adornment. i might feel differently with an MRB.
I agree Veltie! I may do a little sparkly on the band... haven't quite decided on a setting just yet. I got so accustomed to all the blingalisciousness (is that a word? ...I'm saying it is - HA!) that was my setting. I think a non-halo will just take some getting used to. Hopefully a larger stone will satisfy the the bling I need for a while... ;)) :halo:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
diamondseeker2006|1454990766|3988649 said:
The wedding band can provide some extra bling with a solitaire!
I look forward to being able to stack bands! ...and I may just have to have a larger one. :bigsmile:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
nala|1454997211|3988686 said:
Having gone through this scenario plenty of times, I have learned that I am a halo girl! I have tried pave solitaires and plain solitaires but always end up missing the massive finger coverage and bling that a halo provides. I went back to a solitaire BC my jeweler hasn't been able to design a halo that I am 100 percent happy with so in the meantime, I am making do with my solitaire. I've dressed it up with a wrap and that's really helped, but I think it's only a matter of time before I relapse and go back to my halo. What I do love about the solitaire is how easy it is to wear and care for. Congrats on your upgrade! Maybe set it in an inexpensive solitaire until you decide what you really want?
Thanks for your honesty, nala... I love bling too (that will never change), so this is a big transition for me. To be perfectly honest, I'm doing this in part for my husband, who has never cared for my halo setting. He thinks it is "too much" and has always wanted me to have a simpler setting. I love non-halo as well, but I knew that I wouldn't be happy with my current stone as one. It is a J, and although very white from the top view, it would be too tinted for my liking in a solitaire side view. So hopefully a larger stone in a whiter color will do the trick! Also, this is my chance to upgrade my stone. My setting won't accommodate a much larger (or smaller) stone, so this is my chance to upgrade in size as well as color. ...and I can always change back to a halo later on if need be, but I'm gonna give this soli thing a shot! (I'm a rebel like that) :lol: :lol:

I have a 5 month old, so I'm washing my hands all the time. I get tired of hearing the sound of all those tiny prongs touching/catching on her carseat, clothes, etc. A solitaire would be much more conducive to kids... and life in general! HA!

BTW, a wrap is a great idea! Gives lots of options! :appl:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
Mayk|1455020023|3988722 said:
I did it.... And DSS set in even with a larger center stone. I will say I think I prefer the look of a solitaire I just didn't go up enough in diamond size to compensate for the Real Estate covered by a halo.

I had a 1.3 AGS 000 in a halo G color and I went to a 2.0 AGS 000 I color in a solitaire (I just listed it with Grace). I have some ideas about what I want and I'm likely going to stick with solitaire. But it will be closer to 2.5 cts.

I will add that hanging out here with all the beautiful settings makes it very difficult to choose and/or settle.
I love your ring, Mayk! I'd have to get a 10.5-11 mm stone to compensate for the "lost real estate" of my halo, which is totally out of the question for me... not now, not ever. ::) So I'm trying to look at it as just a "change" and a totally different look... hopefully going from 8.7 (haloed) to 9.5ish with side stones (baguettes, maybe) will give me just enough coverage to satisfy me. It will definitely be a different look. Also, I think a round shape is more flattering/slimming to stubby fingers like mine. My halo is cushion shaped and not as flattering... we shall see. ;)) ;))
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
missy|1455020413|3988725 said:
I am a solitaire girl for my ER and have never had a halo ER but if it's OK will share a few thoughts with you.

I have a few halo rings and I love love love them on my right hand. They are blingy and showy and very attention getting and perfect for a RHR (for me). But reserved for my ER will always be a solitaire because to me it feels more like an engagement ring where the diamond is the star of the show. For me that is an ER. The classic and always elegant solitaire. Also when I do wear my halo RHRs it doesn't compete with a halo ER because that would be too much for me.

Now as in everything bling and life related YMMV but that is my take on it. A solitaire ER is a classic that will always be a classic but you have to go with what makes your heart sing and there is no right or wrong when it comes to this question.
Thanks, missy! I agree that a solitaire is classic and elegant... effortlessly chic. Although I have several really pretty RHRs, I rarely wear them. I like for my ering to get all the attention! HA! It will be difficult to choose a setting for my solitaire -- PS has made me an even more indecisive person! :think: ;)) :bigsmile:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
Tourmaline|1455030537|3988774 said:
I really wanted a halo, but my husband didn't (doesn't) like them, so my first setting was a solitaire with pave. The pave drove me crazy, because it out-whited my center stone. So...not quite a halo to solitaire (so the finger coverage isn't part of it), but I have loved my ring immensely more without any tiny white diamonds stealing the stage. :)
...definitely something to consider! Thanks, Tourmaline! :wavey:
 

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,674
I have had all sorts of MRB style rings and I personally found that the 6 prong solitaire is the most classic, user friendly style for working mom's such as myself. I would have loved to have kept my old VC setting but my upgraded diamond did not fit, unfortunately!

You can definitely bling up a solitaire w/ multiple bands. This thread has pics of my old setting w/ my pave bands:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-mom2boys-modeling-request.207105/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-mom2boys-modeling-request.207105/[/URL]
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,607
Since you mentioned Diamonds Direct, I wanted to tell you that I went there with someone in Charlotte to do an upgrade. She searched virtual inventories and found the diamond she wanted them to call in. She had a price comp from a very low cost vendor. So they called in the stone she wanted and matched the price. You have been around long enough that you probably don't need any help, but I'd be happy to help you when you are ready!
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,375

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
m-2-b|1455033553|3988809 said:
I have had all sorts of MRB style rings and I personally found that the 6 prong solitaire is the most classic, user friendly style for working mom's such as myself. I would have loved to have kept my old VC setting but my upgraded diamond did not fit, unfortunately!

You can definitely bling up a solitaire w/ multiple bands. This thread has pics of my old setting w/ my pave bands:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-mom2boys-modeling-request.207105/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-mom2boys-modeling-request.207105/[/URL]
Thanks, m-2-b! I LOVE a six prong setting -- and it makes the stone look bigger while keeping the roundness front and center! I don't think I'd be too upset to have to say goodbye to it if I could have your stone!! :love: :love: :love:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
diamondseeker2006|1455036328|3988852 said:
Since you mentioned Diamonds Direct, I wanted to tell you that I went there with someone in Charlotte to do an upgrade. She searched virtual inventories and found the diamond she wanted them to call in. She had a price comp from a very low cost vendor. So they called in the stone she wanted and matched the price. You have been around long enough that you probably don't need any help, but I'd be happy to help you when you are ready!
Thank you, DS! That's good to know about the online stones... and, yes, I may just call on you for your expertise! :))

I've asked them to get some online stones in for me to look at, and I know they can do it -- but they don't necessarily like to. :rolleyes: I spoke with the VP yesterday, and he was giving all kinds of reasons (i.e. excuses) as to why the online stones may be less expensive. He even said that they may even have a brown tint, which I know isn't true when I can see pics, videos, ASET and other documents for them... but I just said okay. :rolleyes: I'm going to see what they come up with.

I let them know my out of pocket budget and they seemed confident they could find an I/eye clean stone in the 9.5mm range. I hope so. If they simply cannot, I will really push them to call in a stone from online. It's a shame my old SA isn't with them anymore. He truly bent over backwards to help me when we bought my ering. We got one hell of a deal with him! I'm tied to DD, but I'm lucky they'll give me 110% back on my stone. I feel confident they can find something, but if not... well, I'll just stay hopeful and give them a chance for now.

I am going in Thursday to see 5-6 stones. **fingers crossed**
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
PintoBean|1455036929|3988863 said:
Pinto, Bliss's ring is my HOLY GRAIL!! It is simply amazing! Yes, I've read that thread many many times -- never gets old! Her ring is beyond gorgeous -- and HUGE! (I'm also envious of her beautiful hands!) :love:

Thanks for posting the link!! :wavey:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
Regarding Bliss's ring... does anyone know the specs? She mentioned it was SI2 in the thread, but I don't remember seeing the color.
 

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
3,674
I believe Bliss's MRB is a G color if I recall correctly.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
m-2-b|1455045015|3988936 said:
I believe Bliss's MRB is a G color if I recall correctly.
Thanks, m-2-b! God, her ring is AWESOME. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,769
Out of curiosity... does anyone remember a thread showing larger MRB's (9-10+mm) in I/J color? I know I need at least an I, but I want to be realistic about how the color will look to make sure I'm gonna be okay with it, KWIM?

I searched the archives, but maybe I'm not using the right search terms??
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top