shape
carat
color
clarity

Free GIA Essentials Courses

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if they have stopped accepting applications for this course? As I can’t even access the link for an application as a first time student. I have emailed their help desk which says I’ll get a reply in 2-3 days. Wondering if anyone knew anything on this in the meantime!

I think they are still accepting new applications through this month and some of next. Good luck!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know if the Pearls course is free too? I'm guessing not, but just thought I'd ask. My husband who signed me up for the Essentials classes saw in one place on the website it was listed as yes, and other places no.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if the Pearls course is free too? I'm guessing not, but just thought I'd ask. My husband who signed me up for the Essentials classes saw in one place on the website it was listed as yes, and other places no.

I think the only 3 that are free are 1. Diamond essentials 2.Jewelry essentials and 3. Colored gemstones. But wouldn’t hurt emailing and asking. Maybe they’d offer it.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finished the Jewelry Essentials already, how can I change the date on my other courses so I can go ahead and start them, I thought it would take me longer but I have extra time and want to change my start dates?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS you have until June 29 to enjoy this offer :) 162E2963-F567-4745-A3A4-FFBB4908F8B7.png

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still had issues signing up so emailed GIA directly ... hope to hear back this week so hopefully I can start a Monday class next week 1589988143600.png

Module

Shiny_Rock
They have stopping accepting enrollment start today, the capacity is full for May and June, the courses starting in July will charge normal tuitio. Pity, just finished the color stone essentials and it’s too late for the other two.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
They have stopping accepting enrollment start today, the capacity is full for May and June, the courses starting in July will charge normal tuitio. Pity, just finished the color stone essentials and it’s too late for the other two.

I saw that today, so disappointed! I couldn't get the new registration link to work, and I assume their tech support help desk was inundated as I didn’t get a response.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finished Jewelry Essentials a couple of days ago, now I'm on to Colored Stone Essentials. I've enjoyed the learning so far!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I registered for the courses but they are not showing up on blackboard. Anyone has similar issues?

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I registered for the courses but they are not showing up on blackboard. Anyone has similar issues?

You will need to clear the cookies on your computer and don’t have any tabs up. This happened to me too. It is also taking longer than 2 hours for the course to appear on the blackboard after registration. It took 2 days for me.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I registered for the 3rd course (Diamond Essential) on Monday so just made it in. I found the section on clarity informative as I didn't know much about diamonds other than the basics. It's interesting that many who buy diamonds think buying CS is so much more complicated and whereas every time I peak on the diamond forums/posts, I feel overwhelmed :lol:

I enjoyed the pearlsasone courset. I didn't learn much new about pearls per se but really enjoyed reading/watching videos about the history, how they are created, harvested and readied for market.
fwiw, I kind of skipped through the last sections on marketing.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Elizabeth McGovern narrate some of these videos? When I listen to some of the them, I swear I'm hearing Cora Levinson Crawley! :lol:

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm so disappointed. I just finished Diamond Essentials and tried to sign up for colored stone essentials, but it wouldn't let me. Now I see from this thread on PS that GIA isn't letting us.

Had I known they would end the free class sign up a month before they had said they would, I would have signed up for all three of them weeks ago. I thought doing them one at a time was prudent.

They really should honor what they had previously stated.

They have left a really bad taste in my mouth. Bad PR.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
It is really bad PR to NOT honor a stated policy.

It makes GIA appear untrustworthy.

I'm sure its not their intention, but I feel scammed. Like, "let's hook people on one class then when they've invested their time in our free class, make them pay for the other ones."

I'm sure it wasn't planned, but that's how it feels.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The GIA website is so outdated and dysfunctional that it took me a half hour to send them a note stating my disappointment. And I'm not even sure the form I filled out actually went through.

What a thoroughly disorganized mess.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Can you contact GIA and ask them to honor the promotion via a "voucher" for a future class, if enrollment capacities are reached?

To play devil's advocate (totally get this is frustrating to not be able to take the classes), most "great deals" are "while supplies last" for products with physical inventory. Even though it seems there's no hard cost associated with expanding enrollment, there are. There are costs associated with data, site traffic, bandwidth capacity, staff such as admissions and customer service, printing of certificate/diplomas, and whatnot. If GIA's goal was to get X number of people enrolled and they achieved that, I can understand why it would not be "unlimited" enrollment. They also have the opportunity cost of the revenue they would have generated from tuition for these classes for those in the trade, etc. They should have been more clear about limited enrollment and that spaces would fill up quickly!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I wrote a post here and then thought the better of it and deleted it. I’m going to reframe my experience.

My previous comment was written in the throes of my huge disappointment in the GIA course I finished today, in stark contrast to the high expectations I had going in. If I’d actually paid $600 for that class, I’d be livid. That is not an exaggeration.

I still feel the GIA should honor their offer, and that “capacity” is not a good excuse for ending their open enrollment, but I’ll attempt some gratitude now, and just say I owe Pricescope an enormous debt.

In the event I cross paths with someone who plans to undertake GIA’s coursework, I will recommend in the strongest terms that they spend 90 days voraciously studying Pricescope first. It’s a better education by far, and free.

Rant over. I’m sorry for my bitterness, and I’ll subside back under my rock.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The content in Diamond Essentials was extremely dated. In places it was demeaning and sexist.

My favorite gem was the example in the last chapter on how to sell more jewelry. When a couple is in your store, and the little woman says that the ring you are showing them is too expensive, she doesn't really mean it, she's just testing to see if her man thinks so. You should turn to her man and ask him, "that's not too much to pay to make your little lady happy, now is it?"

<vomit>

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
And don't even get me started on how FUGLY the jewelry examples are.

The Eighties called and they want their cheap ass jewelry back.

Seriously, I've seen similar pieces at our local Goodwill store.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Despite my above complaints, there has been one very positive thing about being signed up in the GIA system, and that is their free "Knowledge Sessions." (These are weekly live webinars).

I've only seen one, but it was excellent. Dr Tao Hsu shared her experiences at the annual jade market in Burma, with photos and a thorough explanation of the jade buying and selling process. It was fascinating. Makes me want to learn more about jade!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Despite my above complaints, there has been one very positive thing about being signed up in the GIA system, and that is their free "Knowledge Sessions." (These are weekly live webinars).

I've only seen one, but it was excellent. Dr Tao Hsu shared her experiences at the annual jade market in Burma, with photos and a thorough explanation of the jade buying and selling process. It was fascinating. Makes me want to learn more about jade!

I wanted to catch that one! Unfortunately, the Knowledge Session are when I am working.

The content in Diamond Essentials was extremely dated. In places it was demeaning and sexist.

My favorite gem was the example in the last chapter on how to sell more jewelry. When a couple is in your store, and the little woman says that the ring you are showing them is too expensive, she doesn't really mean it, she's just testing to see if her man thinks so. You should turn to her man and ask him, "that's not too much to pay to make your little lady happy, now is it?"

<vomit>

I stopped reading their "customer in the store" narratives because they made my eyes roll. Everything from their system to the course content was dated.

I felt the same about the CS Essentials (as you did Diamond Essentials) and felt bad about posting as such earlier since some enjoyed it and after all it was free.

It seems odd to me why they said the classes were full...it's not like they were very interactive. I guess they do mail out the certificates. I think folks have a right to complain given the original announcement didn't mention limited enrollment. Hopefully others will hear back.

Sadly while it was a nice offer, not sure if this was a good promotional activity for GIA.

I will recommend in the strongest terms that they spend 90 days voraciously studying Pricescope first. It’s a better education by far, and free.

+1

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * My previous comment was written in the throes of my huge disappointment in the GIA course I finished today, in stark contrast to the high expectations I had going in. If I’d actually paid $600 for that class, I’d be livid. That is not an exaggeration.
I don't imagine your disappointment will be lessened, but fyi GIA's tuition is $250, not $600, for any of the 3 Essentials.

As the announcement said, successful completion of each of the 3 Essentials courses is what leads to the "Applied Jewelry Professional" certificate. It's no secret that the AJP program is geared for jewelry salespersons -- which is why selling is indeed a component of the 3 courses:
I don't think GIA should be criticized for that, even if stepping behind a sales counter isn't a goal of any of us PSers who signed up for, or hoped to enroll in, the Essential courses.

Overall, the sales tactics outlined in the Diamond Essentials course are better, far less obnoxious, than what I've run into on the few occasions I've been into a mall jewelry store. E.g.,
If the customer asks to see a piece of jewelry that’s much less expensive than the one you’d hoped to sell, be graceful and enthusiastic when you present it. Handle a simple gold ring with a 0.25-ct. diamond with as much care as you would a $10,000 piece.

No matter what color, clarity, cut, or carat weight diamond they eventually buy, or how much the precious metal mounting weighs, a jewelry purchase creates a memory that lasts a lifetime. Honor the moment and you’ll earn your customers’ respect—and future business.
And I was actually pleasantly surprised by how often e-ring shopping was portrayed as a couples' experience, not just the man alone making the decision of what to purchase.

<vomit>
Well, it isn't quite as gagsome as you recall. Earlier on in Assignment 7 re Presenting Diamond Jewelry (i.e., sales), it is suggested that one might "use a little humor to lighten the atmosphere and speed the process" -- "if you feel you've established trust and appropriate rapport" -- by saying, "Jim, isn’t Anne’s happiness worth every penny? The only obstacles left are you and your checkbook... Go on, why not make her happy?” [slide 11]

Slide 15 expressly addresses the scenario where the woman voices the concern, "It costs more than we'd planned to spend."
Don’t bargain with her. Instead, turn to the man and ask, “What do you think, Martin?” Chances are, the meaning behind the woman’s “objection” was not “I think the price is too high” at all. Instead it was, “I really want this ring, but is Marty willing to pay for it?” If you give Martin time to respond to his girlfriend’s code, he’ll probably agree to pay the price.

That said, I agree that updating overhaul -- of the platform and content -- would inure to GIA's credit and their students' benefit.

@pearaffair -- I did indeed learn some things from the Diamond Essentials course (the only one I've done so far) I'd not seen discussed on PS, such as the FTC guidelines & differing trade practice in describing-rounding diamond weights, and even tho' that's not something I'll be called upon to do in real life, it's fun for me. So thank you :))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am utterly shocked that they’ve capped enrolment! That makes me sad :(

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@MollyMalone

I totally disagree. The scenarios GIA presented and you reposted above are sexist and dismissive of women's decision making and purchasing power.

Many of us have had the experience where we go to purchase something large, (for example a car) and we happen to bring a male companion along. Even though we are the ones making the purchase, we are not treated as the true customer by the sales person. The salesperson assumes the man's in charge, speaks directly to them, and asks them the important decision-making questions. If you haven't had this experience, count your blessings.

I think it is very wrong and extremely dated for a company that is training salespeople to promote scenarios such as this:

"Slide 15 expressly addresses the scenario where the woman voices the concern, "It costs more than we'd planned to spend."
Don’t bargain with her. Instead, turn to the man and ask, “What do you think, Martin?” Chances are, the meaning behind the woman’s “objection” was not “I think the price is too high” at all. Instead it was, “I really want this ring, but is Marty willing to pay for it?” If you give Martin time to respond to his girlfriend’s code, he’ll probably agree to pay the price."

If I were buying jewelry with a fiancé/boyfriend/husband and I voiced my concern that the item is too expensive for us, and the salesperson disregarded my concern, and turned to my male companion hoping he'd overrule me, I would find it disrespectful, sexist and manipulative.

1. The female customer's legitimate concern about the price should not be ignored by the salesperson.
2. The salesperson should not assume that the male companion is the one paying for the item.
3. The salesperson should not assume that the male companion is the one making the final decision (regardless of who is paying for it.)
4. This scenario portrays the woman as insecure (she's afraid to voice her real opinion to Marty that she wants the item)
5. The scenario portrays the woman as having no financial power of her own (GIA states that she expects Marty to buy the jewelry for her.)
5. The salesperson also appears to manipulate Marty by using Marty's insecurities to close the sale (Marty doesn't want to be seen as cheap or unloving in front of his girlfriend).

Just wrong.

Much of the jewelry I own, I pay for myself. The same is true for my mom, my mother-in-law and my girlfriends. When I go jewelry shopping, I bring my husband with me because I value his opinion. But I am the one paying, I am the one who will wear the item, so I am the one who makes the final decision. If a salesperson used the above garbage on me, either devaluing my role in the buying process or by disregarding my husband's opinions/concerns, I'd never shop there again.

And customers are not dumb, they can smell manipulation. No one likes feeling that they are interacting with a "used car salesman."

I make my living by creating and selling a luxury good. I believe in my product and would never use sales tactics like the above example to close a sale. My customers would ran away screaming if I did.

So having outdated examples in a training course is not a good idea. Especially examples that portray women in this less-than-flattering manner and tell the salesperson to handle the male companion as the one making the decisions and the purchase -- the one that can be shamed into buying something expensive for his woman.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results