shape
carat
color
clarity

Free GIA Essentials Courses

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Least intuitive UI ever (thanks Oracle...), but if you successfully enroll, you will get an email titled "Welcome to GIA Education". Make sure to read the attached DOCX so you can enroll. I had to reset my password (the temp password they emailed me didn't work, so went through the reset password flow to log in). Then when you're going through the "GIA enrollment link" choose the goal of AJP to get the 3 classes to show up. It will appear like it's charging $250, but if you follow the flow (which looks like it dead ends in a weird payment page that doesn't work) without paying and then go back to the Student Center, you'll see the class available. Phew!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
It took 4 password resets to get in but now it says I'm not enrolled. But I'm the person that even if I get in the shortest line it is then guaranteed to take the longest. It's not a great super power to have. The technical support person is being very helpful by email so I am confident it will get resolved.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! I will find out tomorrow whether the enrollment worked! This is SO Great!!!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@snotty_pie Did you sign up for only one class or do we enroll in all three with staggered start dates?

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
@snotty_pie Did you sign up for only one class or do we enroll in all three with staggered start dates?

I only signed up for one class right now. I'm also fortunate enough to be working full time right now, so trying to see how much time the first one takes before enrolling for the other two. :)

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I'm all set! The support person did say to go ahead and enroll in all three classes but recommended staggering the start dates as far as possible.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I’m trying to register now and I am stuck on the country code for phone number. Isn’t the US country code 1? I have tried every combination of 1 (001, 01, 1) that I can think of, and it won’t let me enter any of them. What on earth did y’all put for that?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m trying to register now and I am stuck on the country code for phone number. Isn’t the US country code 1? I have tried every combination of 1 (001, 01, 1) that I can think of, and it won’t let me enter any of them. What on earth did y’all put for that?
I had the same problem, you have to click on USA.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair , thanks so much for this. Just last week my other half was saying I should consider taking some GIA courses what with so much downtime during this virus situation and given how much I love diamonds and jewelry.

Have finally registered!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For anyone who has password issues after registration i.e. it keeps showing you the "password expired" link after you enter your temp password, even if you use FireFox browser, try this.

After you click on "reset password" and the page tells you it's unsuccessful, leave that page open for a few minutes.

After a while it will automatically redirect and open up the page that allows you to change your password.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be registering later since I need to finish this semester of Grad school first.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm doing this too, thanks for sharing @pearaffair =)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to have some fellow GIA students now! Make sure to supplement with webinars from @gemxclub and Rui! I’ll link later, on my computer.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone :wavey: Signed up for the coloured stones course! @pearaffair Thanks for the tips on webinars!
This will help me stay (reasonably) sane during lockdown! :loopy:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo I got my login I will logon when I get home and select classes! I am excited

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I signed up for all 3 starting Monday 5/11. Is anyone buying the books? They are optional, but I wondered if anyone knows if they're worth buying?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I signed up for all 3 starting Monday 5/11. Is anyone buying the books? They are optional, but I wondered if anyone knows if they're worth buying?

They are identical to the online course material. Only difference is that the online course material has videos! Personally I would not buy the books unless I wanted to reduce my screen time. Sooo yeah, I have bought some books! But not the essentials.

You can save the downloadable pdf files of the chapters if you think you want to refer back at some point :)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would need to download Blackboard too correct?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are identical to the online course material. Only difference is that the online course material has videos! Personally I would not buy the books unless I wanted to reduce my screen time. Sooo yeah, I have bought some books! But not the essentials.

You can save the downloadable pdf files of the chapters if you think you want to refer back at some point :)
Thanks!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I was supposed to start today but I still can't even get logged in. I was able to accept all the terms but then the password issues have started up again. I tried to reset and it says they sent an email but it's been a couple hours and no email. Anyone else having these issues ?

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I signed up for Diamonds and the Jewelry Essentials class to start today, but when I log into Blackboard, only the Colored Gems class shows up :(

Will try again tomorrow.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
How many hours did it take to finish the course? Is the exam hard? Would the average PSer be able to pass it without too much studying?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results