shape
carat
color
clarity

Free GIA Essentials Courses

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@1ofakind Sorry to hear you are having issues. Is there a help email address on the website? I think I recall seeing one.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was supposed to start today but I still can't even get logged in. I was able to accept all the terms but then the password issues have started up again. I tried to reset and it says they sent an email but it's been a couple hours and no email. Anyone else having these issues ?

Email them again. And I am sure you already did this but just in case, check your spam folder.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I have emailed and they said to wait a few hours and try again...then when I emailed that didn't work I didn't get another response. I will try again tomorrow.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many hours did it take to finish the course? Is the exam hard? Would the average PSer be able to pass it without too much studying?

So far each section with an assignment has taken me about 30-40 minutes depending on how many slides/videos. I know quite a bit but I'm not sure where I land on the average PSer scale. I would imagine the average REGULAR PSer would have no issues. I don't, "study", I just go through the course and take the test right away.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
For the coloured stone course I plan on doing a section a day. I think there are 8 to complete. I did the first one yesterday and it was fine!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many hours did it take to finish the course? Is the exam hard? Would the average PSer be able to pass it without too much studying?

I think you could probably pass each course in a leisurely but focused week of work. So three courses in three weeks. BUT they're self-paced and they give a generous amount of time for completion. A lot of the information an average veteran PSer will already know. But, I imagine there are some nuggets of information that will be new! The photos are excellent, the videos are fun, and the quizzes are easy. Especially if you've read the chapter or at the very least, the key terms. I would say it's worth signing up.

@snotty_pie -sorry, I wish I knew how to help!
@1ofakind - sorry you're having login issues! My experiences with GIA is that their help is not instant but it is diligent. I imagine they will be able to assist you (eventually). Hang in there~

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far each section with an assignment has taken me about 30-40 minutes depending on how many slides/videos. I know quite a bit but I'm not sure where I land on the average PSer scale. I would imagine the average REGULAR PSer would have no issues. I don't, "study", I just go through the course and take the test right away.

Yep this is a great description. I would agree.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you could probably pass each course in a leisurely but focused week of work. So three courses in three weeks. BUT they're self-paced and they give a generous amount of time for completion. A lot of the information an average veteran PSer will already know. But, I imagine there are some nuggets of information that will be new! The photos are excellent, the videos are fun, and the quizzes are easy. Especially if you've read the chapter or at the very least, the key terms. I would say it's worth signing up.

@1ofakind - sorry you're having login issues! My experiences with GIA is that their help is not instant but it is diligent. I imagine they will be able to assist you (eventually). Hang in there~

i finished mine, it took about 3 hours per course and i think the avg PSer knows a lot of the content already. i liked the colored stones course the best!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i finished mine, it took about 3 hours per course and i think the avg PSer knows a lot of the content already. i liked the colored stones course the best!

Great update!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm doing the Diamond Essentials course this week. I'm working regular hours on my real work, and reading a few pages of each lesson during breaks and at the end of the day. I'm enjoying the mental stimulation at a time when there really isn't much because I can't go anywhere and I'm not a TV watcher.

My favorite new term: "Lizard Skin." :lol: Ha ha! I'd never heard that one before.

Thanks @pearaffair for alerting us to these courses being free!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
No worries! The other two classes showed up 24 hours after they were supposed to. Halfway done with diamonds now.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! I am definitely doing these! Thanks so much for letting us know about them, pearaffair!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! I am definitely doing these! Thanks so much for letting us know about them, pearaffair!

:)
Do you think “hangout” is the best place for this thread? It’s such a cool opportunity; I don’t want anyone to miss out on hearing about it.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you that have completed some of the courses, what do you think? I took them so long ago, I can’t remember. Did you learn a lot? Or was it just a fun diversion? Are you looking forward to becoming an AJP- a GIA Accredited Jewelry Professional?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh but focusing on bling is like having a separate stomach for dessert ;-)

You just might find your brain has room! :D

So far I've learned the most new information about the treatments for colored stones. I know what some of them entailed but it was interesting to see in more detail. Also the methods for "lab grown" stones. I'm looking forward to adding the letters to my professional title. I have plenty of letters for my day-job so it will be nice to have some for jewelry as well!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
For those of you that have completed some of the courses, what do you think? I took them so long ago, I can’t remember. Did you learn a lot? Or was it just a fun diversion? Are you looking forward to becoming an AJP- a GIA Accredited Jewelry Professional?

I'd like to go all the way with the diamond courses. I'd love to take the lab class on grading diamonds in the future (in a post Covid vaccine world). I'm doing it for the love of learning about diamonds, not to work in the industry. My day job took too many years of intense training, so even on days I hate my work, I know I can't throw in the towel. But its really nice to have a hobby, and perhaps diamonds can be mine. :) And it will be fun to be a more educated consumer.

The one thing I didn't expect about the Diamond Essentials course, is the emphasis on selling techniques. I guess I'm a purist in that I thought the class would be all about the diamonds, not the psychology of selling.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to go all the way with the diamond courses. I'd love to take the lab class on grading diamonds in the future (in a post Covid vaccine world). I'm doing it for the love of learning about diamonds, not to work in the industry. My day job took too many years of intense training, so even on days I hate my work, I know I can't throw in the towel. But its really nice to have a hobby, and perhaps diamonds can be mine. :) And it will be fun to be a more educated consumer.

The one thing I didn't expect about the Diamond Essentials course, is the emphasis on selling techniques. I guess I'm a purist in that I thought the class would be all about the diamonds, not the psychology of selling.

I think that's mostly because these classes are aimed at jewelry professionals.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm halfway through Jewelry Essentials. I've learned some new things; some things I already knew. Yes, it's a very fun diversion! I am looking forward to becoming an AJP, even if I never do anything with it professionally.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock

Yeah, I am an engineer, and I don't think I could sell my way out of a paper bag. Couldn't imagine telling a stranger this with a straight face:

“Brown” might be a perfectly valid word, but it leaves a lot to be desired as a descriptive tool. If you’re showing a topaz pendant that’s to be a gift for a spouse, play up the romance angle. That topaz isn’t “brown,” it’s “the rich tawny color of expensive sherry,” or “a deep, luscious caramel color."

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished colored stones today and jewelry essentials last week. Diamonds next week!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Colored stones, I actually learned some. I didn't know much about different colored stone treatments beyond heat treating/oiling. Nor did I know actual methods of creating lab gems.
On the treatment front, Gem-A has an interesting webinar run on treatments. There’ve been a few on ruby and sapphire already.

It’s on their youtube channel. Would be interesting to see how much overlap there was with the GIA course.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on your knowledge coming in, you can fly through these pretty quickly.

I was disappointed with Colored Stones probably because it was the topic of most interest to me. Although I sped my way through it was easy to find statements that confounded me.

For example:

You can sell the durability of a gemstone, but always remember that toughness can be a concern for some stones. Emerald toughness, for instance, can range from good to poor. So while you can sell durability, don’t oversell it.
However, in the early chapters, you learn that durability isn't just toughness - but also hardness and stability. So by that definition, emeralds aren't durable.

The section on rubies, kept referring to red spinels as "imitation rubies"
While red spinels have a long history of being confused for rubies, it made it sound like red spinels weren't of real value.

One of the quizzes, the choices for another source of alexandrite included both Brazil and India.
I correctly picked Brazil because they are a larger source of quality alexandrite, but I happen to know that some alexandrite comes from India as well.

---

As a lover of colored stones, I'm clearly not the right audience as the focus (understandably) is on the commercial gem market...where heavy treatments are common (and thus GIA seems to deem acceptable with a lot of emphasis on not just disclosure but how to put a positive spin on it. As others said, there is a lot of emphasis on how to sell.

I am having fun taking these but a little disappointed. Some of the information/perspectives seems dated, conflicting, or incorrect. I guess I expected a higher standard coming from GIA. But they are starter courses and I do see how a lot of the information would be enlightening to others less familiar with colored stones.

The quizzes/exam were easy but some of the questions seemed focused on trivia than knowledge (for example, what does knowing where the largest collection of emeralds can be found have to do with anything, lol).

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad I am doing these as the topics are of interest. It shows how much I've learned here and I am picking up bits of interesting info. So I'm glad GIA has made it available for free during this period when so many of us have free time.

Now onto my last course - the diamond course...I know nothing about diamonds so hopefully, I will learn more as others have learned in the Colored Stones class.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning I decided to take a look at the diamond essentials course. Ended up reading the 7 sections and taking the 7 questionnaires then the final exam. Passed easily. Relatively easy for most pricescopers to pass I would guess. So if anyone’s hesitating just do it. Took me 2 hours (including interruptions from kitties and dh) from start to finish.

Module

Shiny_Rock
I decided to give it a try on the color stone essentials. I signed up, got the "Welcome to the GIA" email, changed the temporary password, enrolled the class, received the registration confirmation email and signed several agreements. The course does show up under "My courses" when I logged in, but when I clicked the course assignment, it popped up an error page saying "the specific resources was not found, or you don't have permission to access it". Has anyone encounter similar problem? Thanks!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know if they have stopped accepting applications for this course? As I can’t even access the link for an application as a first time student. I have emailed their help desk which says I’ll get a reply in 2-3 days. Wondering if anyone knew anything on this in the meantime!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to give it a try on the color stone essentials. I signed up, got the "Welcome to the GIA" email, changed the temporary password, enrolled the class, received the registration confirmation email and signed several agreements. The course does show up under "My courses" when I logged in, but when I clicked the course assignment, it popped up an error page saying "the specific resources was not found, or you don't have permission to access it". Has anyone encounter similar problem? Thanks!

Close any other GIA tabs you may have open and just log in again from a fresh tab. HTH.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results