shape
carat
color
clarity

Free GIA Essentials Courses

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh THANK YOU! :appl: I'd actually gone to the website last month because I thought it could be a fun, educational distraction from being "locked down" in NYC. The notice at that time said they had suspended those e-learning courses because of the pandemic , and I hadn't thought to revisit the site to see if the e-courses had resumed.

I'm going to apply right now.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to try to do these three GIA e-courses too - how great that they are free right now!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alas, I ran into a snafu of some sort. Got the message that my online application could not be processed because "additional documents are required" -- but I'd not yet been asked to submit a PDF of, e.g., my driver's license. So I'll have to wait and see what GIA tells me to do.

Here's hoping you have better luck, @marymm !

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Think I will have a look at the coloured stone course! Thanks for the heads up @pearaffair! :cool2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alas, I ran into a snafu of some sort. Got the message that my online application could not be processed because "additional documents are required" -- but I'd not yet been asked to submit a PDF of, e.g., my driver's license. So I'll have to wait and see what GIA tells me to do.

Here's hoping you have better luck, @marymm !

I am already a student so the free classes are not available to me. That being said, I know to enrol as a student there is an involved process... hopefully they get back to you soon!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads up I too was thinking of doing these courses.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY!!! I am registered for all the free classes - thank you!

Yay!!!! That's so awesome! Enjoy! <3

I hope the registration process was not too arduous... care to share details?

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not bad at all - My husband had to download firefox as a browser because we didn't have it but other than that it took about 5 minutes

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would say its similar to registering online for college courses which I have done before so maybe that is why I found it easy.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am already a student so the free classes are not available to me. That being said, I know to enrol as a student there is an involved process... hopefully they get back to you soon!

I did not get this message at all and didn't have to submit any ID or anything. Did you get all the way thru to getting the registration email with your student name and temp password and then go to the student registration site and choose all your classes? I'm wondering at what point did you get hung up - It does state there are problems if you do not use the two browsers that they suggest - we had to download firefox as a browser.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I did not get this message at all and didn't have to submit any ID or anything. Did you get all the way thru to getting the registration email with your student name and temp password and then go to the student registration site and choose all your classes? I'm wondering at what point did you get hung up - It does state there are problems if you do not use the two browsers that they suggest - we had to download firefox as a browser.

Sorry I was trying to respond to Molly

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to register online but it says "We're sorry. The online system is not yet available for California residents as additional documents are required. Please contact the Admissions Team...." I'll try calling tomorrow or Tuesday.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is so tempting...how much time do you think each class requires?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to register online but it says "We're sorry. The online system is not yet available for California residents as additional documents are required. Please contact the Admissions Team...." I'll try calling tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hmm and you're positive you're registering for the "Essentials" versions? This seems bizarre because a main GIA campus is IN California... fingers crossed it gets resolved for you soon!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so tempting...how much time do you think each class requires?

Haha ok the average veteran PSer could probably pass the quizzes without even studying. The essentials courses are a great foundation but some of the knowledge is pretty rudimentary (example: sapphires come in more than just the colour blue!). That being said I really enjoyed them and there are good videos and hey, you get a piece of paper when you finish! Wahoo! The classes are self-paced and have a due date. You could probably crush each one in a week or two if you were really cramming.*
*I took them years ago so my memory could be a bit off. I'd say sign up and see for yourself! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @pearaffair for sharing this with us! I think I am going to sign up and see if I have the necessary attention span to complete them. I have been having trouble focusing on anything so it might be challenging but I appreciate the chance to try. Thank you!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I registered, but when do they send you actual info? When the course starts?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I registered, but when do they send you actual info? When the course starts?

I think the course starts May 4th so tomorrow if you signed up for that 3 month period...May 4-Aug 4. There are different start times depending on what dates you signed up for.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I completed the application and was sent a new student log in and password. But then it all went haywire and I can't log in nor reset the password. The help phone number in the email directs me to call an extension that when I do call says it is invalid.

Caution on the application....I was initially booted out because when asking for my high school graduation date it is preset to todays date, 2020. Change the year first as doing the month first set it to June 2020 causing an instant message that because I had not yet graduated high school I was not eligible. There was no way to go back an correct so I had to start over.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I did it wrong...I was able to register in 5 minutes no problem. But let's see if it actually works.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completed the application and was sent a new student log in and password. But then it all went haywire and I can't log in nor reset the password. The help phone number in the email directs me to call an extension that when I do call says it is invalid.

Caution on the application....I was initially booted out because when asking for my high school graduation date it is preset to todays date, 2020. Change the year first as doing the month first set it to June 2020 causing an instant message that because I had not yet graduated high school I was not eligible. There was no way to go back an correct so I had to start over.

I had to switch to firefox from chrome to be able to log in.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I did the registration in firefox and also tried in chrome to log in but the password expired. I was able to reach someone via email so hopefully we'll get it figured out soon.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did the registration in firefox and also tried in chrome to log in but the password expired. I was able to reach someone via email so hopefully we'll get it figured out soon.

I did get some more help with them, make sure you only have one window open. Their site does not like it if you have more than one open.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you I did close all other windows. It seems to not like me. Still working on it though. ;-)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @pearaffair for sharing this with us! I think I am going to sign up and see if I have the necessary attention span to complete them. I have been having trouble focusing on anything so it might be challenging but I appreciate the chance to try. Thank you!

Ahhh but focusing on bling is like having a separate stomach for dessert ;-)

You just might find your brain has room! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results