shape
carat
color
clarity

Franck Muller watches

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Cartier Nicrez dug up. This one is definitely a possibility. There is a Tank Americaine version Do you know how they compare? Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 8:33:29 PM
Author: Harriet
This one:
I saw this one for $5330 at Jomashop, so there is a price difference of about $700. The width of this watch is 14 mm, so 6 mm skinnier. The faces look a little different. I think both watches have tang buckles. Jomashop has the francaise, but it''s about $300 more than Thewatchery.

Have you tried either one on?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have. Funnily, I find it a tad thick, though I can get over that. Sorry to be so fussy.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No need to apologize, it will be on your wrist after all! But, it is just a watch, so do not make yourself too crazy. Hone in on what matters to you (which you seem to have done already) and just see which one hits you the most!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 9:39:56 PM
Author: diamondfan
No need to apologize, it will be on your wrist after all! But, it is just a watch, so do not make yourself too crazy. Hone in on what matters to you (which you seem to have done already) and just see which one hits you the most!
I totally agree with DF. Afterall, this will be your FIRST watch. I''m sure you won''t stop there!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
How kind of you!

Starryeyed,
You''re enabling again ...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s always this classic:

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I own that watch and I love it. Nothing wrong with that at all. I also have the Demoiselle, but it is more polished and prone to scratching. I just got the Roadster and love it but it only comes in one size.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
It''s not my dream watch, but it will be a good everyday watch. Is it reasonably slim?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is thin but not excessively so, I mean, it is definitely not a bulky thick watch, but has a nice profile. I really love my Bedat, you can do it without diamonds easily and it is a nice brand that not everyone is aware of.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about this one? Sorry if I''ve asked you before (it''s late and I''m exhausted).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that one is basically it, my bezel is finer (not as wide). On the Jomashop site, the one I have is the top right one on the top row on the fifth page, it has diamonds all around the top of the bezel and then diamonds on the right and left sides. I think it is a nice combo, in stainless, of sporty yet nice enough for most occasions...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I''m not sure if you''ve noticed this, but in the design of watch faces, there is often a stylistic interpretation of symmetry between the 4 and 8 positions.

Traditionally with Roman numerals, an 8 is VIII and 4 is IV. However on Cartier and many other brands/models that use Roman numerals, the 4 is expressed as IIII in order to visually balance the face with VIII on the other side. VIII takes up so much space that just IV doesn''t look symmetric. Bedat goes the other way and uses IV, but then the number 8 in order to achieve the visual balance.

Interesting, right? I had never noticed this until I read an article about it.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the explanation! I had noticed it, but didn't know why that was the case.

Btw, compare the 2 FMs on p.5 -- the one with white numerals and the one with back. Aside from that, are the faces different? The former doesn't seem to have the starburst pattern.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the last Cartier, and the Bedat. Toss up for me, but think I''d choose the Cartier. It''s such a classic, and would be great for work. How much is the Bedat???

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 10:01:16 AM
Thanks for the explanation! I had noticed it, but didn''t know why that was the case.
Btw, compare the 2 FMs on p.5 -- the one with white numerals and the one with back. Aside from that, are the faces different? The former doesn''t seem to have the starburst pattern.
Hi Harriet. Yes, the face on the first one is a salmon color, whereas the face on the second has the starburst pattern.

Also the first one is a "Casablanca" and the second is a "Curvex". Maybe you could call FM or one of the watch dealers and ask what the difference is. There may be something we aren''t seeing in the photos.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kaleigh,
The Bedat is retailing at $2,100.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am planning to call my watch guy today, he was not open yesterday, I am looking at the difference btwn the Casablanca and the Curvex. Hard to tell in the photos.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ms. Harriet has decided! My first watch will be the FM Curvex in stainless steel with black numerals. Question - should I buy from an authorised dealer or an online one?

DF, if your watch guy has it, would you mind asking for a quote?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Harriet - I''m sure that one will look great on you! Are you going to get a SS bracelet or a strap?

Your question is reasonable about the vendors. I can only speak about my personal experience. One of my Cartier watches is from an online vendor. I''ve brought it to Cartier to have links removed and they never asked to see any paperwork. I''m not sure how they would know where you purchased it - I haven''t been treated differently with this watch than any other Cartier that I purchased directly from the shop.

My guess would be the only way they might suspect is if the watch has been discontinued and you showed up with a new one that had issues. Good question - I''d probably make sure the online vendor is reputable and buy from them to save some money. Sales tax in NYC can add quite a bit too remember.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It will be in stainless steel (so it can match any outfit). An authorised dealer offered 15% off, which is not bad. If anyone can find it online for less, please keep me apprised.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ack! So to deflect the shopping frnezy I would get if I said I was looking, I went in asking for "my sister" (that would be YOU Harriet) LOL! I asked for small and slim...

At Cartier on Fifth I saw the Tank Americane for $7000 in WG (leather strap)
And the guy was trying to get me to suggest the Roadster, which to me was too large (IMHO) but take a look it seemed nice enough...but at $7800, you should love it...

Ack, try an estate jeweler, I am sure if you are not in a rush, they (ask several) can work with you and bring you in a pieces that may fit your criteria... have you tried that yet?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Nicrez! You can go shopping on my behalf anytime. I''ve settled on the FM, but wouldn''t mind some suggestions as to estate dealers. How''s the bag hunt?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will. I forgot to ask price on it. Make sure if it is quartz or not, I think that is important to ask. And enjoy it, I am sure you will love it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remember that I''m a novice. Why does it matter whether or not it''s quartz?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means you do not have to wind it or have it on for it to work...it keeps time a bit more accurately. I love my Rolex watches, but have to put them on a winding maching when I am not wearing them or I have to put it on and reset the time since it stops. Just something to think about, esp. if you take your watch off at night...

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Harriet - you chose a lovely watch.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
It''s quartz. Any other questions I should ask?

Bluehue,
Thanks! It''s a present to myself.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:31:18 PM
DF,
It''s quartz. Any other questions I should ask?

Bluehue,
Thanks! It''s a present to myself.
How about how long the warranty is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results