Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The weather is absolutely pants today so I haven't decided.....:think:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The weather is absolutely pants today so I haven't decided.....:think:

Hahaha love that expression though I don't know what it means. Just the sound of it. LOL love it. Does it mean crazy? And what is the origin of that expression? :lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha love that expression though I don't know what it means. Just the sound of it. LOL love it. Does it mean crazy? And what is the origin of that expression? :lol:

'Pants' is a very English saying, meaning underpants basically! If something is 'pants,' the person is saying it's rubbish.:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Pants' is a very English saying, meaning underpants basically! If something is 'pants,' the person is saying it's rubbish.:lol:

Thank you for the explanation Lorelei. Hahaha well our weather is also being quite pants today and this whole week in fact. It is supposed to hit 90 degrees F here Wed/Thursday. :geek2: OMG if that's not pants I don't know what is.:nono: Rubbish describes it perfectly IMO.:knockout: As in Rubbish to summer coming before we have had a proper Spring!:eek2::lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe!

Oh how awful, I really loathe and despise hot weather. Thank goodness the weather is pants with my little boy's recovery but it's the same here, from cold to stinking hot in a day. Once the mercury hits mid seventies though I start moaning and groaning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe!

Oh how awful, I really loathe and despise hot weather. Thank goodness the weather is pants with my little boy's recovery but it's the same here, from cold to stinking hot in a day. Once the mercury hits mid seventies though I start moaning and groaning.

@Lorelei same here. I don't like the heat as much as I loathe the freezing cold. Give me 60s/low to mid 70s and even 50s and I am a much happier camper. Well I also loathe camping but you know what I mean. I am just happier when the weather is mild and lovely. Living where I do is not the best choice for that type of weather but I soldier on because that is what I must do.
1899448obhhwxi0xs.gif

(((HUGS))) to your little furbaby and sending bucketloads of healing dust his way. XOXO.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Auntie, he sends hugs with his li'l paws right back!

So I settled on Tihota.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha Lorelei. One never “settles” for Tihota. :lol:

Thank you for hugging your sweet baby and thank you for the pawwy hug back from him. I’m in love. :kiss2:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I got it open, after lots of banging on with a screwdriver. :)

So, on to the scent. I'll say it again - I'd never smelled any era's Joy, so that said...oh, and my usual disclaimers about my intermittently crappy olfactory abilities still applies.

It did open with a tiny whiff of nail polish smell, but that is gone now, and the scent is soft, or deep in the bottle if that makes sense. I get what I've come to understand is the standard-for-the-era rose/jasmine accord. I get more rose from it, and it truly is a lovely rose. The drydown is disappointing. I read somewhere that it had a bit of sandalwood and musk, but it's very faint. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be, just a straight-up beautiful floral and I can see that. It wears close and only lasts about 3 hours?

So, I think age has diminished this bottle more than any other vintage I have tried so far. Overall, it's very pretty but lacks complexity (did it ever have it? I don't know alas), but I have a suspicion that I will be layering it with other stuff to beef it up.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought a replacement bottle of JM Wood sage and sea salt yesterday. I seem to wear that one lot more than I thought:think:.
Wearing it today and will spray a bit of Mimosa Cardamom on top before going out.

Yesterday Hermès Myrrhe Églantine... this was already very faint when I got to the JM counter. So I had a spritz of JM WS&SS on top and the combo was very nice as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I got it open, after lots of banging on with a screwdriver. :)

So, on to the scent. I'll say it again - I'd never smelled any era's Joy, so that said...oh, and my usual disclaimers about my intermittently crappy olfactory abilities still applies.

It did open with a tiny whiff of nail polish smell, but that is gone now, and the scent is soft, or deep in the bottle if that makes sense. I get what I've come to understand is the standard-for-the-era rose/jasmine accord. I get more rose from it, and it truly is a lovely rose. The drydown is disappointing. I read somewhere that it had a bit of sandalwood and musk, but it's very faint. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be, just a straight-up beautiful floral and I can see that. It wears close and only lasts about 3 hours?

So, I think age has diminished this bottle more than any other vintage I have tried so far. Overall, it's very pretty but lacks complexity (did it ever have it? I don't know alas), but I have a suspicion that I will be layering it with other stuff to beef it up.

I never found the parfum to be very long lasting K and for me, it's all about the smokey carnation. It wasn't a very ' beefy' scent in the parfum, beautiful but very soft.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It is very much skirts weather here (LOL) and since we are going for a bike ride, I'll wear scented lotion. While it is a bit too warm for Youth Dew, I love their luxurious lotion and at least it will stay and I won't have such BO! (sorry if that is TMI lolol:lol-2:)

cheers--Sharon

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never found the parfum to be very long lasting K and for me, it's all about the smokey carnation. It wasn't a very ' beefy' scent in the parfum, beautiful but very soft.

Wow. I've not gotten carnation out of it at all. Isn't the sense of smell just fascinating? And really, so individual. I'll sniff again and see if I can catch carnation now. :)

And good to know about the softness and non-beefiness. Makes me feel better about its being pretty true. It really is a nice scent. And truly the first one I've tried that I actually said, "oh, old-fashioned". Arpege is not, No 5 is not, IMO. But JOY is. How odd.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, here's a tidbit about my bottle of Joy. There is a 4-digit number on the back of the label, you can see it through the back. According to Raiders of The Lost Scent blog, this is very rare, and if there, the first and last digits together indicate the year. My bottle is from 1955. :) Pretty cool to get a near-perfectly preserved bottle of perfume that is significantly older than oneself, yes?

However, today I wore just a little bit of my j'adore l'absolu. I have to be kind of careful with that one - it's easy to over-do.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I've waited YEARS to finally get around to buying a bottle of Anthracite by Jacomo....I've always read great things about.

I *hate* it. It's a powderpuff of air-freshener-style hyacinth that just won't die. I even sprayed Boucheron parfum overtop later in the day and even that can't kill it .I fear i may die smelling of this.

...remind me tomorrow to yell at Luca Turin over this. Him and his damned beautiful prose .

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I've waited YEARS to finally get around to buying a bottle of Anthracite by Jacomo....I've always read great things about.

I *hate* it. It's a powderpuff of air-freshener-style hyacinth that just won't die. I even sprayed Boucheron parfum overtop later in the day and even that can't kill it .I fear i may die smelling of this.

...remind me tomorrow to yell at Luca Turin over this. Him and his damned beautiful prose .

Oh no....that's awful. Blind buys that turn out to be duds really suck. I find hyacinth to be very aggressive sometimes so I can imagine the horror! Powderpuff hyacinth....I feel ill just reading that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh dear, it sounds up my alley.:lol: Apart from the air freshener bit.:confused2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No sprays no sprays. So sad no sprays. But I'm delving into the underbelly of essential oils. Today Rose De Mai/meyer lemon. Earlier I tried Coffee bean with RdM and yuck. I will have to find a way to use this coffee bean with something.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...I love hyacinth with chamomile. Something about the combo just really smells good to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No sprays no sprays. So sad no sprays. But I'm delving into the underbelly of essential oils. Today Rose De Mai/meyer lemon. Earlier I tried Coffee bean with RdM and yuck. I will have to find a way to use this coffee bean with something.

That's really rotten with your allergies, I hope they clear up soon. Maybe check out some Amouage Attars, treat yourself to something really special.

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Coffee blends well with vanilla (obvi), also lavender (Yohji Pour Homme).

It's funny - I bought a bottle of coffee vodka - it literally mixed with NOTHING. I had the bottle for so long and had so many failed cocktail attempts that I just poured it down the sink.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you tried Intoxicated By Kilian?
Notes: Cardamom, mocha coffee, cinnamon, tobacco, vanilla, patchouli

Feel all better very soon Arcadian!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Intoxicated By Kilian?
Notes: Cardamom, mocha coffee, cinnamon, tobacco, vanilla, patchouli

Feel all better very soon Arcadian!

I liked it very much, definitely FBW.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei I have a small amount (12ML) of a beautiful amber attar. Its really more or less a paste, quite old, I don't use it too often because its so impossible to find. I've tried some of the Amouage Attars many years ago. I don't recall if they ever brought them back (one can hope right?)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a look on the site Arc and couldn't see any attars listed but there might be some available and I just didn't see them....Just thinking of something super luxurious you could dab on.

No 5 today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei I have a small amount (12ML) of a beautiful amber attar. Its really more or less a paste, quite old, I don't use it too often because its so impossible to find. I've tried some of the Amouage Attars many years ago. I don't recall if they ever brought them back (one can hope right?)

I had a look on the site Arc and couldn't see any attars listed but there might be some available and I just didn't see them....Just thinking of something super luxurious you could dab on.

No 5 today.

I did a search for you too Arcadian. So far nothing except this.
http://www.lalaessentialoils.com/amber-attar.html

I am not giving up though. Will keep you posted.

In the meantime SOTD Bruno Acampora’s Musc. I really enjoy this one. Earthy and fresh.:sun:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei our weather
pants.gif
again today. OMG. Must break out my hot weather perfumes as everything here is going
pants.gif

1896249wrr738gi7w.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results