shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Olfactive Studio Flash Back. This features rhubarb but in a different way; fruity but dry. Very noticiable citrus up from then vetiver comes out to play in this one. I don't usually like green apple anything but its really good here and mixes well with rhubarb. Unlike Comme Des Garcons Rhubarb of the Sherbert Series, this one is not a dessert.

Longevity is fair to middlin. I have to wear a few more times to see if its worth a full bottle.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its nasty (already) weatherwise, so wearing Balmain Vent Vert.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back from a two week trip, on which l mainly wore "acacia & fleur d'or" from l'occitane 's "la collection de grasse".
Inoffensive clean, generic floral. Perfect for visiting lots of family and friends in hot weather.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So,

I put on a sample of an old love - Koublai.

YOU KNOW HOW MUSK GOES IN SUMMER ! So did I, yet ...

Eh ...

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
On vacation and picked up Salvatore Ferragamo's Acqua Essenziale Colonia as a blind buy at TJ Maxx. Super yummy for the price. It's a nice citrus opening, and some tonka/woodiness on the bottom, with a clean soapiness in the middle.

I was pleasantly surprised when I looked up the perfumer and discovered it was Alberto Morillas. Mugged Cologne is one of my absolute favorites and also has a delightful soap note, although I think that one is a green scent and this one is more of a tan.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I picked at random and am wearing Jo Malone's "Bluebell" (I swear I did not see Amber St. Clare's posting above!), a scent I had bought in a very small size but never tried. I like it. It isn't heavenly (in my opinion), but very nice. Thank you for caring, Arcadian!

Deb :wavey:

I love Jo Malone's Bluebell in the summer -- it's that just showered scent for me. I was looking for a replacement for Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet liquid hand soap. Bluebell is a little more feminine.

I like Marni for a more floral scent.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@valeria101 LOL I love you! Yes even though you knew... Hell I do the same. Kiehl's musk is much cleaner than MKK...until the summer that is. I still do it. Glutton for punishment :razz:

@windblownhair Whats longevity on that perfume? I don't tend to like "calone" as a genre of perfumes but sometimes one can be surprised.

Today I'm wearing Hiram Green Dilettante I got the smaller 10ml size of this when it first came out and it sat around in the sample drawer. Its so gross here that I need something lighter and this really fits the bill. Light but not flyaway light. Has lasted most of my workday so far. Why I smell honey and its not listed, I don't know, but maybe thats petite grain. Also the floral aspect is soooo pretty. Def. orange is here too. I might have to layer this with rose to see how I like it...but I think I want a full bottle. :oops::kiss:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Any one wear or sampled Tom Ford's White Patchouli I would love to hear comments on this one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any one wear or sampled Tom Ford's White Patchouli I would love to hear comments on this one.
I remember trying this and Chanels Coromandel, and Molinard Patchouli Intense within a week span. I was going through patchouli phase I guess.

Just what I remember: White patchouli is dirty. If you like a dirty patch, you will love this. Same with Molinard, the first blast will damn near blow your head back...seriously! I did NOT like the first blast. Def. let it settle a little! LOL

Some patch frags can be a bit musty and you can get that with all three but more heavily in TF and Molinard. Whereas TF stayed on the drier/floral side, Coromandel took a woodier/creamy route and Molinard took the chocolate sweet route.

TFWP is long lasting though but not really what I would call a hot weather scent if that makes any sense. A bit too austere, the florals (and I love florals) make this wearable but just on the cusp..meaning they were in the background on me mostly. Fall and winter seems to be better for it, and even wet days. All IMO are unisex just in different ways.

I probably need to test it again because its been a while. I didn't care for it as much as the other 2, and eventually I settled on Coromandel because it was the friendlier( i.e., more wearable for me) out of the three.

If you're in the US, Nordstrom or Macy's would be the place to try it. (well Macy's may not have it on the shelf but Nordies should).

P

PierreBear

Hey friends! Sorry if this has already been discussed but was wondering what's the best place to purchase perfume? It seems like all pricing is generally the same but you might get an extra "bag" or "bonus" if you buy with certain stores? I appreciate the help!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey friends! Sorry if this has already been discussed but was wondering what's the best place to purchase perfume? It seems like all pricing is generally the same but you might get an extra "bag" or "bonus" if you buy with certain stores? I appreciate the help!

Depends on the store and the brand. Department stores tend to offer whats called "gift with purchase" In the case of nordstrom.com, go to Beauty, the go to Gift with Purchase. You'll find pretty much all the stuff they offer with purchase. Pretty much all of the main department stores have this same type of tier.

If its particular brands you're after, you're sometimes better off going to the brands website. Some of them have friends and family events, which you not only get a large percentage off, but quite a lot of samples too. Always check to see if they're available in store too (Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden generally has the same deals in store)

Lauder is very notorious for offering gift with purchase of 45 dollars or more. I have LOTS of bags...lol

Some stores have beauty events (Barney's NY and Saks does this) If you're on their list, you get to see what they have available ahead of time. Its beauty counter wide and about you have to purchase about 150-200 dollars. Depending on the store, it can be lots of deluxe samples.

Also the higher end the counter, the more often than not they'll give you a sample to try.

At the boutiques, if you're a frequent person that buys you always get a few extra samples. A few of those places asked if I were ever looking for work they'd be hiring...lol maybe when I retire ;-)

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian thank you so much for taking the time to give me avery detailed discription, I trully appriciate it. The thing is I'm a little older now and have grand children ( 2 grand daughters so far) so I was thinking I wanted to start wearing a signature scent so later on when I was no longer around and they got a hint of that familiar smell they would think oh that smells like grandma. Now do I want them to think h*ll Grandma smelled dirty lol (problem is I truly do love dirty lol) Have to see how it smells on me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian thank you so much for taking the time to give me avery detailed discription, I trully appriciate it. The thing is I'm a little older now and have grand children ( 2 grand daughters so far) so I was thinking I wanted to start wearing a signature scent so later on when I was no longer around and they got a hint of that familiar smell they would think oh that smells like grandma. Now do I want them to think h*ll Grandma smelled dirty lol (problem is I truly do love dirty lol) Have to see how it smells on me.

LOL If they love you, it won't matter how dirty you smell:razz: Kids remember the darnedest things.

I remember gutting fish with my grandfather. I don't remember the scent of the fish but I remember HIS scent (he always wore some lavender based cologne) I have some odd memories I guess. Someone asked if it was a Caron and I have to admit I don't know, it could have been.

I think they'll def. remember you by what you do, smell will of course mingle in that somewhere (its the reason why I'll never wear no 5 as that belonged to my grandmother) and they'll remember that is the way that grandma smelled and smile.

For some patchouli just smells...dirty. Depending on the type it can be very earthy even in its live form, which in our weird world of pretend squeaky cleanliness, natural is a bit of a shock to the system. ;-) And of course if you're of a certain age, you remember it as a dirty hippy smell...lol I was on the cusp of that age but still, I just love the smell of really good patch!

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on it as everyone is a bit different on how certain smells are perceived. I should try it again as its been a while and as you can probably tell, I have a little obsession hobby that sometimes get a wee bit out of hand.:whistle: (I'm a little embarrassed about how full the sample drawer is).

Prada has one but its a freaking hammer...lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... he always wore some lavender based cologne ...

Of course ! I could say the same.

Lavender the universal classic ...

Do you like any ? [If a good deal of the drawer you mentioned, is lavender - a hint or two would do !]

Somehow, I have never tried Lavender & Incense - and I might pretend to be following Lutens.

Last edited:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Arcadian I am a true novice at this I will try my best at describing what I smell ok here it goes lol day 1 it arrived around 4 quickly opened and put just one spritz on my left wrist got this citrousy smell like fresh limes, nice very nice about 5 minutes in got the dirty muddy grass smell, not bad then all of a sudden the old man with the cologne sitting on the bus showed up must have been I wouldn't call him a stalker but more of a lurker. Catch a whiff of is smell every once in a while thinking why is he following me why doesn't he leave already lol towards the end about 6 hours in it faintly smelled like Dior's Poison. Today no citous smell. First spritz smelled like flowery baby powder, so I guess the old lady was jelous and decided to make her apperance today lol. Later it settle to hmm still flowery but less powdery more of a hmm can't describe it but very faint in the background a sexy smell. Doesn't seem to last very long on me at the most 6 hours no Poison smell today. If I smell hard enough I almost smell like dust lol So far what I can say is this one seems to have many personalities lol I'll keep on trying a little longer to see if it shows any of it's other faces.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Arcadian I am a true novice at this I will try my best at describing what I smell ok here it goes lol day 1 it arrived around 4 quickly opened and put just one spritz on my left wrist got this citrousy smell like fresh limes, nice very nice about 5 minutes in got the dirty muddy grass smell, not bad then all of a sudden the old man with the cologne sitting on the bus showed up must have been I wouldn't call him a stalker but more of a lurker. Catch a whiff of is smell every once in a while thinking why is he following me why doesn't he leave already lol towards the end about 6 hours in it faintly smelled like Dior's Poison. Today no citous smell. First spritz smelled like flowery baby powder, so I guess the old lady was jelous and decided to make her apperance today lol. Later it settle to hmm still flowery but less powdery more of a hmm can't describe it but very faint in the background a sexy smell. Doesn't seem to last very long on me at the most 6 hours no Poison smell today. If I smell hard enough I almost smell like dust lol So far what I can say is this one seems to have many personalities lol I'll keep on trying a little longer to see if it shows any of it's other faces.

Cool beans! I'm glad you're trying it out and seeing that it can be a bit different from wear to wear. I think for women thats kind of the way it is with hormones and such. So, you get different things than I do...lol understatement! I need to retest this one for sure.

I love the old man sitting on the bus analogy...:lol:

So I sat here thinking that based on what what you're trying you might like some of the following. Always test of course because ain't none of these cheap. I own a few of these but they're not a signature for me and trust, not a lot of people will be running around wearing them either...lol

Try Luckyscent.com for these
Lubin- Black- Jade
Histoires de Parfumes - 1969 Parfume de Revolte
Histories de Parfumes - Tubereuse Animale
Amouage - Bracken woman
Amouage - Sunshine

FM has their own boutiques, I think some neimans sell the brand now. Barney's NY sells them.
Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady

Neimans/Saks/maybe Nordstroms
Sisley - Izia
Bottega Veneta - Bottega Veneta
By Kilian - Sweet Redemption
Tom Ford - Noir De Noir
Guerlain - Chamade (patch is nil in this one but so pretty!)

Chanel Boutique
Chanel - Coromandel
Chanel - 31 Rue Cambon

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Arcadian. Interesting suggestions, will definatly look into some of these.

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whats longevity on that perfume? I don't tend to like "calone" as a genre of perfumes but sometimes one can be surprised.

6-ish hours or so? Not too bad considering I was on the east coast and everything was hot and sticky. Now that I'm back home I'll test the longevity again...I'm in central California, so it's slightly hotter, but it's a dry heat, so I'm curious if it'll have an effect.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Molinard's Habanita L'Esprit Is it really like Habanita? kind of? its muskier and lighter of course, but I think that the essence is still there. Just a sample of this but does smell lovely.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opus X

It is a year worth of rose: all the possibiities of fragrance of the varieties and ages of the plant ... Worth wearing in the sun a few times - to run fast through the complicated Chong plot, lest its raisons d'être get lost in ornate detail at the pace of º25C.

I guess these fealt but unseen things are my 'jewel of the day'. Today I wished to see what I am wearing .-) so a small doze went into a pod pendant [very British piece of precise silver] - not a rare deed.

___
Note to self: lavender up on the To Do list

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing A Lab On Fire L'Anonyme ou OP-1475-A I got this back when they had the 15ML bottles available for 15 dollars, and I got 2, one for me, one for him. Neither of us wear it often, but I sometimes forget how much I like it until I put it on.

Its musky, dusky, a bit of leather, lots of geranium, topped with bergamont. Not heavy on a single spray (its all it takes) but lasts forever. Very linear but you know what? You smell good and thats all that matters.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Geranium !

Very linear but you know what? You smell good and thats all that matters.

Re. 'linear',

I'd do extracts straight up. [yes, there was a chemist in the house at first - we were that kind of company]

Is it a punishable offence ?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Geranium !

Re. 'linear',

I'd do extracts straight up. [yes, there was a chemist in the house at first - we were that kind of company]

Is it a punishable offence ?

Not in my book? There are some essence oils that one should dilute of course, because they burn like hell when applied "neat", but otherwise, heck no! I'm from the school of "wear what you like" :mrgreen2:

Like today for instance. I put on something, but can't tell you what it is (yeah its been that kind of day...lol) Sure does smell good though!:lol-2:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you !

Enabling is GOOD !

There are some essence oils that one should dilute of course, because they burn like hell when applied "neat"

Sure enough. These things go on hair, bracellets or into the above mentioned pendant. Mostly... Of course, I get to touch them, but so far, so good. By now I know what I like - every conifer, rose & rock rose - the letter almost localª ...

4 AM writing

it has many, many relatives growing around here - all scented to some extent ! - THEN, by this time of the year, all the weeds that still have any green in them are bona fide aromatic... There is no way synthetics could keep up appearances with this wilderness in the back yard - hence Amouage & bottled saps. )

note to self: Lutens update overdue, still !

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I need to spend some time with Demeter's.

They're a ton of fun, especially for outside the box tastes. Mine aren't all that traditional...half my favorite scents are colognes I stole from my husband...and I love the idea of building a visual from scent even if the combos aren't traditional perfume-y scents. If it smells good, it smells good, right?

P

PierreBear

@Arcadian - you are the master of all perfume and I just started exploring this world. I finished my first bottle of perfume that was gifted to me. Marc by Marc Jacobs Daisy and am eager to get something else. I think I'm a one bottle at a time type of girl as well so I would love your thoughts.

I was intending on getting Chloe Eau De Perfume. From reading the reviews, it's nothing amazing but I enjoy the feminine scent and brought my husband to the store to make sure he liked it too. Well at Neimans, they didn't carry it so the associate showed me some other scents. Fell in love with Maison Francis Kurkdjian - A la rose scent. Now I'm learning that I've been using/trying on synthetic perfumes but MFK's perfumes are not synthetic. I guess the word they used was it was "pure." Do you have any thoughts on synthetic versus non perfums and any feelings about A La Rose? It smelled so divine. I love the smell of the A La Rose but it didn't last very long so I am thinking about getting the Chloe. Talk about price point difference too... maybe I need to go up in levels. Finish the Chloe and then try MFK perfume?! haha!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian - you are the master of all perfume and I just started exploring this world. I finished my first bottle of perfume that was gifted to me. Marc by Marc Jacobs Daisy and am eager to get something else. I think I'm a one bottle at a time type of girl as well so I would love your thoughts.

I was intending on getting Chloe Eau De Perfume. From reading the reviews, it's nothing amazing but I enjoy the feminine scent and brought my husband to the store to make sure he liked it too. Well at Neimans, they didn't carry it so the associate showed me some other scents. Fell in love with Maison Francis Kurkdjian - A la rose scent. Now I'm learning that I've been using/trying on synthetic perfumes but MFK's perfumes are not synthetic. I guess the word they used was it was "pure." Do you have any thoughts on synthetic versus non perfums and any feelings about A La Rose? It smelled so divine. I love the smell of the A La Rose but it didn't last very long so I am thinking about getting the Chloe. Talk about price point difference too... maybe I need to go up in levels. Finish the Chloe and then try MFK perfume?! haha!

MFK is a good brand. They were purchased by LVH (Louise Vuitton Holdings) so take that as you will.

The sales associate is really drinking the koolaid or they're reading the marketing material all wrong. Yes, A la Rose has 2 types of natural rose, but its augmented by synthetics. Most perfumes on the mainstream market (niche or not) use them and that is because of IFRA. MFK has gone on record saying of course he uses synthetics. Really good ones, sure, but most perfumers do. If A la Rose was all natural, trust me it would be WAY more expensive. He is also an amazing perfumer, and worked with a lot of brands well before he had his own.

Basically buy it if you love the smell, don't buy it thinking you're getting a natural perfume. If you're really interested in going that route there are some really

An amazing rose perfume would be Serge Lutens Sa Majestic la Rose. Totally synthetic and you'd never know by smelling it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results