shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ordered Tauerville Vanilla Flash (and rose body oil...and some other goodies :D)... I`m sure others will follow...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wearing various cleaners, dirt, and dust for the day...lol My spring cleaning is just a wee bit late but its nearly done (one more day!):appl:

To relax I'm wearing Fragronard Santal Cardamom. I love the smell of cardamom and here its just right (I'm a weird one that I like to soak cracked pods in hot water, then put the water in the fridge with cucumber slices and a tibble of rose water. ) And even though they use australian sandalwood, its not overly astringent. Just what I needed:kiss2:

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
L'eau bleue d'Issey poor homme. It was DH's but I commandeered it ;)2 We ended up moving a friend yesterday who had rosemary and juniper growing along her front walk, so it got me in the mood.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I pulled one out from the sample pile that I've never worn (or even heard of!)
Al02 - biehl parfumkunstwerke

The first notes were big green notes and peach. Then come the plum. I had to brace myself a little because I thought it was going to be a big giant plum coming after me.... the answer to that is no, its really not big at all, it hangs out with the peach, tonka, cinnamon and cardamom and create a sort of peachy plum compote.

Speaking of, the spices are dry. There's cinnamon, cardamom, bit of patchouli and carnation, giving contrast and keeping the whole thing from being a bit fruit party. Then there's the smokey side, which is thankfully not a ranging fireside roasting thing. some labdanum, smokey notes, vetiver also help balance the juice and keep it from tipping over too far in the other direction. These are the notes that add some depth.

Sillage is not really high. I sprayed myself pretty liberally...lol

I have to admit, I don't equate this to summer wear. Not that its bad NOW, but it feels much more fall like to me than a summer scent.

P

PierreBear

Hello @Arcadian ! I'm about to pick up Chloe Eau de Parfum. Had a sample of this and it's just the one that seems to bring me much joy. I was shopping around and noticed that Amazon had the best prices compared to Sephora, Nordstroms, and NM. There are a whole bunch of distributors listed such as "fragrance dream" and "lotus beauty." I heard once that online purchases might not be authentic and quality can't be guaranteed. Have ya'll noticed anything of the sort? It's consistently about half the cost so it does make me a bit skeptical! However, the reviews don't notate anything unusual. I appreciate the help!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @Arcadian ! I'm about to pick up Chloe Eau de Parfum. Had a sample of this and it's just the one that seems to bring me much joy. I was shopping around and noticed that Amazon had the best prices compared to Sephora, Nordstroms, and NM. There are a whole bunch of distributors listed such as "fragrance dream" and "lotus beauty." I heard once that online purchases might not be authentic and quality can't be guaranteed. Have ya'll noticed anything of the sort? It's consistently about half the cost so it does make me a bit skeptical! However, the reviews don't notate anything unusual. I appreciate the help!

Anything that can be made can be faked, nothing is exempt.

Buying from Amazon proper ensures that you will be getting a genuine product. And, if you have issues with it, you have better opportunity of getting a refund. If you buy anything from their market place you had better know who's selling it.

Now that said, there are stores that use Amazon as a jump off point and they are authorized retailers. Lucky Scent does it, Twisted Lily, MIN NY, so on.

Basically, if you would rather have peace of mind and assurances of product freshness and authenticity is important, spend a little more and buy from an authorized retailer.

If you know what you're doing, don't care if its fresh (because sometimes older juice isn't a "bad thing", don't care if you could possibly get a box that looks like it got gnawed on by a dog (I've gotten a few..lol) know the scent, need your fix and want a good deal, you'd do fine with whats considered "grey market".

You can def. buy authentic items through the grey market but you MUST know who to buy from.
That includes TJMaxx, Marshalls, Overstock, Fragrancenet, Notino, etc etc etc....

Yes indeed I shop in the grey market because you can get some extremely good deals there, but there are even things "I" don't buy there.

I don't know lotus beauty or fragrance dream so I can't recommend them.

P

PierreBear

Anything that can be made can be faked, nothing is exempt.

Buying from Amazon proper ensures that you will be getting a genuine product. And, if you have issues with it, you have better opportunity of getting a refund. If you buy anything from their market place you had better know who's selling it.

Now that said, there are stores that use Amazon as a jump off point and they are authorized retailers. Lucky Scent does it, Twisted Lily, MIN NY, so on.

Basically, if you would rather have peace of mind and assurances of product freshness and authenticity is important, spend a little more and buy from an authorized retailer.

If you know what you're doing, don't care if its fresh (because sometimes older juice isn't a "bad thing", don't care if you could possibly get a box that looks like it got gnawed on by a dog (I've gotten a few..lol) know the scent, need your fix and want a good deal, you'd do fine with whats considered "grey market".

You can def. buy authentic items through the grey market but you MUST know who to buy from.
That includes TJMaxx, Marshalls, Overstock, Fragrancenet, Notino, etc etc etc....

Yes indeed I shop in the grey market because you can get some extremely good deals there, but there are even things "I" don't buy there.

I don't know lotus beauty or fragrance dream so I can't recommend them.

Thanks for the thorough response! I agree that I feel comfortable with making purchases via Amazon as their return policy has been top notch. But as you mentioned, you may get an older product that might not last as long, which would be unfair to return the perfume at that later point in time as the detection date might be far from the purchase date. Heck, at 1/2 the price though, I guess the worst case is to just repurchase it and you would have just been in the same boat as purchasing something guaranteed authentic at full purchase price.

Glad to know the perfume expert purchases in the "grey market" though, so I think I would have to follow suit! I appreciate the help and look forward to smelling great!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, some perfumes actually last just fine. I have some perfumes from the 1950's and earlier which smell great. In some cases, the top notes are gone, but the rest is good. In others, the mix wasn't exactly stable to begin with an well...fell apart.

But even my early 90's era chanels are still perfectly fine without any performance issues. They're MUCH stronger of course and because of IFRA, have ingredients that their later versions do not.

So there are times I will actively seek out vintage because the current versions are shadows of their former selves...

I don't totally advocate vintage, its a pandora's box.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Chanel Bois des Iles. I love sandalwood and this is an amazing recreation of it even though they don't use real sandalwood. Its very calming...I need that today.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Friedemodin Jardin Mystique. This is a brand I had never heard of, so, I was pretty intriged when my perfumista friend sent this in her care package to me.

I liken it to a softer less acrid Balmain Vent Vert (which is really one of my favorite green perfumes) Vent Vert in its many variations contains galbanum which some people don't like, and Asafoetida some can find overpowering. None of that stuff here.

There's lily of the valley but its not too harsh or too strong. Edges are rounded by bergamont and various other notes I can't pull out at the moment. Def. something floral there but not sure..jasmine? maybe a little tuberose? I don't really know but quite low key, and also a smidge aquatic. I also keep smelling lime .

Its nice. I wouldn't buy it but a perfume that wouldn't offend anyone.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, every time I read this thread I feel like an olfactory idiot. There are all these people with genuinely refined and/or eclectic tastes, a huge experience with identifying individual components of perfumes, and awesome descriptive powers. Then there's me. o_O I'm like, "Ewww....smell icky!", or "Oooo...smell pritty!!" ;)2

Today I'm hanging out with my Rosabotanika.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm like, "Ewww....smell icky!", or "Oooo...smell pritty!!"
Me too. I scan here for ideas of things to try and 99% of the stuff I like turns to eau de garbage once it's on me. I pine for the days when Tabu and Chanel #5 were the "it" scents because they were 2 that did not turn to skunk cabbage odorifhorrica on me (I just made up that odorifihorrica word BTW because nothing else adequately applies.)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just someone who likes to smell stuff. all kinds of stuff. even icky stuff.:whistle: Yes I'm a weirdo but perfumes are the nicer things to smell...lol

I remember once my husband asked if I was part dog. I asked him if that was a polite way of calling me a bitch:lol-2:

I definitely have had my fair share of stinkers from the perfume aisle, so you all are not alone!!

There are some really odd ball stuff out there, and fragranistas are a very friendly bunch, so I get lots of samples and decants to try out. I also send out a fair share myself!

Comme des Garcons has one called Garage which reminded me of Black by Bvlgari in that it was a very big tar note to it. Black is considered mainstream though so you don't have to look too far for weird...

At any rate, hopefully its entertaining. I don't do platitudes of WHAT I smell though I've been on some boards where they kinda go a bit overboard...

The one I will never smell is called Surplus which was made from the perfumers own poop. If I REALLY want to smell poop, I can do that for free:lol-2: I have my limits.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got to try a Prada sacred cow; No14 Rossetto extrait. This is one of the exclusive line, which you don't see much of anywhere. This one I believe was exclusive to Milan only, so I was pretty jazzed up to get a decant of this one. Its interesting, a bit odd. Very sharp roses here. Not on the same level as Perfumer's workshop Tea Rose, which can be a bit like an ice pick, but its no slouch. I do love how the helitrope and violet soften and powder this up in the dry down. I didn't get much raspberry though its supposed to be listed. I also get something of a bit of marshmallow.

Nonetheless, not a sweet perfume even though the addition of vanilla and raspberry would make you think so. Lots of rose, powdery, some violet a billowy marshmallow.

Downside is that the lasting power is not as good. Put it on this morning at 7am, and I have to search for it on my arms at 1pm.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just someone who likes to smell stuff. all kinds of stuff. even icky stuff.:whistle: Yes I'm a weirdo but perfumes are the nicer things to smell...lol

I remember once my husband asked if I was part dog. I asked him if that was a polite way of calling me a bitch:lol-2:

I definitely have had my fair share of stinkers from the perfume aisle, so you all are not alone!!

There are some really odd ball stuff out there, and fragranistas are a very friendly bunch, so I get lots of samples and decants to try out. I also send out a fair share myself!

Comme des Garcons has one called Garage which reminded me of Black by Bvlgari in that it was a very big tar note to it. Black is considered mainstream though so you don't have to look too far for weird...

At any rate, hopefully its entertaining. I don't do platitudes of WHAT I smell though I've been on some boards where they kinda go a bit overboard...

The one I will never smell is called Surplus which was made from the perfumers own poop. If I REALLY want to smell poop, I can do that for free:lol-2: I have my limits.

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: Thanks for this much needed laugh today!!!!!!!

I have also been extremely sensitive to / interested in smells since I can remember... This seems to be genetic, also. Remember my granddad wore cuir de russie extrait. It came in a TINY bottle, so I thought it was for kids when I visited them as a 5 y/o.... my 1910 born and usually extremely formal granddad was incredibly sweet to me, and didn't even blink an eye after I had emptied that bottle on me and my teddy bear. He had to ask his sister to send him a new bottle from Paris. And I think that was my official start as a hopeless perfumista....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To Arcadian and Matata:

I used to be a perfume hound, in my hinterland it-ain't-available-here-so-I'll-do-the-usual-stuff way. I wouldn't have been caught dead without some perfume. I remember that I saved my money and got a bottle of Chanel No. 5 when I was about 13? They had some at this really strange bargain food/random stuff store and the bottle of eau de cologne cost a whole $8. I couldn't afford the bigger one that was $12. Anyway, it was glorious. I still long to smell that scent again. That and Nina Ricci's Farouche. Alas, scents change and (I'm a-feared) so do sniffers.

For the better part of a year prior to my MS diagnosis, I smelled electrical burning. Was there anything burning? In spite of asking various people at various times, if they could smell anything, no, there was never anything burning. Drove me nuts. The only time I didn't smell it, was in the shower. Something about the moisture in the air? Very odd. I knew that phantom smells are generally neurological in nature, and generally not in a good way, so I ignored that fact with all my might. It did finally go away, but not too long afterwards, my brain started rather obviously melting.

That's a long way of saying, I think my sniffer ain't what it used to be. I just put on some Versace Dark Crystal, and either the whole bottle has turned (maybe) and the staying power is shot (again, maybe), or maybe it is actually the same, and my nose is defective. Bottom line, it just doesn't smell right at all.

:(

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ksinger , I'm so sorry you're dealing with MS. Its such a crappy disease.:cry2: lots of dust and hugs to you because I know you probably have your bad days. I don't really know a lot about it just that it can affect pretty much everything. I didn't realize it could also mess up your sense of smell.

I certainly worry about age related loss of smell. Sure I smell fine now, but I won't always (boy... double ententre....:lol:) For years I had what Dr's thought was an auto immune disease. It wasn't lupus or anything so well known. I still to this day wonder if it was from the use of the cancer drugs when I had to be on them twice.... those drugs can really mess you up.

In general if bottles are well stored they don't just go off. Hell even some bottles not stored so well (had one "lost" in my car for an indiscriminate amount of time....) don't change that fast, especially not the modern stuff as they're more chemical than natural. So unfortunately it likely IS just you. But tastes change and as you've said, MS has messed up the smeller so that could also be the root cause.

I got my official start with Fendi. Of course I'd had perfumes before but Fendi really shook me up. Its been snowballing ever sense...lol

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ksinger , I'm so sorry you're dealing with MS. Its such a crappy disease.:cry2: lots of dust and hugs to you because I know you probably have your bad days. I don't really know a lot about it just that it can affect pretty much everything. I didn't realize it could also mess up your sense of smell.

I certainly worry about age related loss of smell. Sure I smell fine now, but I won't always (boy... double ententre....:lol:) For years I had what Dr's thought was an auto immune disease. It wasn't lupus or anything so well known. I still to this day wonder if it was from the use of the cancer drugs when I had to be on them twice.... those drugs can really mess you up.

In general if bottles are well stored they don't just go off. Hell even some bottles not stored so well (had one "lost" in my car for an indiscriminate amount of time....) don't change that fast, especially not the modern stuff as they're more chemical than natural. So unfortunately it likely IS just you. But tastes change and as you've said, MS has messed up the smeller so that could also be the root cause.

I got my official start with Fendi. Of course I'd had perfumes before but Fendi really shook me up. Its been snowballing ever sense...lol

Thanks Arcadian. Yeah it's definitely crappy and yeah there are bad days. No one should ever be fooled by any of the drug ads with the healthy looking smiling people hiking across streams or painting walls with gusto. It looks a lot different in real life. But still, I'm doing really well with the MS, compared to many. I have avoided some of the more spectacularly sucky symptoms like bladder and bowel issues, or swallowing issues, or vision problems, or severe motor control problems. So far at least.

Having MS attack the olfactory nerves is not considered common. But my forum surfing has shown me that it's definitely not uncommon either. As I said about olfactory illusions being a sign of neurological problems, well, it's usually a sign of a brain tumor, hence my going "LA LA LA LA! Not listening! LA! LA!".

Of course I'll never really know what caused that burning smell, so I guess it doesn't matter all that much. Like many could-be-MS symptoms, that one resolved for, well, maybe ever. I think you are right this is recent and new, and it is most likely me and not the perfume, because tonight the perfume is smelling "correct". I've also noticed today that my ability to taste properly was a bit off too, but it's improved a bit too as the day has gone on. I probably won't wear the Versace again until later in the fall though. It is a bit heavy for August, I find. I'll probably head back to my spiky Rosabotanika. It doesn't last too long but then I don't annoy people with what even I consider an odd scent. It's certainly odd when compared to most of my mainstays. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All, I have been very remiss in scenting myself but there's been lots going on. I honestly can't even remember what I wore yesterday,....lol

Today is like yesterday; ridiculously hot, so I'm wearing Guerlain Pera Granita. This one is from the Aqua Allegoria line, a line i don't think much about because they generally have the longevity of a body spray. They have a few standouts (well apparently!) and this is one of them. Its not that its so much pear, its a citrusy pear. For someone who lives in an armpit (thanks Florida) this is just right for this time of year. Very refreshing thanks to the not too terribly astringent grapefruit, fruity from the osmanthus and floral from the orange blossom. Still has someone of a decent base of musk, though its not too strong (thankfully!) Though its still not REALLY all that strong for an EDT, you only have to reapply after about 4 hours. When its this type of hot, its ok, nothing sticks around. I'm kinda burning through my sample of this pretty quick, I think a bottle might be in my future.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing one from the sample box; Montale Intense Tiare. Intense is RIGHT!:mrgreen2: It starts off like shampoo and bubblegum. Thats not a bad thing mind you! I like this combination. As the notes settles, you pick up the more subtle nuances. Monoi does intensify though. And HOW! its really a shape shifter and that big sweet floral note is held in place by the vanilla and ylang-ylang.

This is a fun tropical scent. If they had used vetiver and maybe even pineapple, that would (in my view anyway) keep this from being a bit sweet sugar bomb of a floral.

P

PierreBear

@Arcadian - Sounds like you were smelling oh so good yesterday!
I have an update for you. I bought the Chloe EDP ... the big bottle 4 ounce from Sephora. I thought it was worth the savings to get the larger bottle instead of going off the "gray market" as you mentioned. However, I'm sad to report that I wasn't happy with the product. I've had samples of it before so I know what it smells like and how long it should last. The scent was true but only lasted about 30 minutes?! That has only happened to me (I've only had one bottle before so take it with a grain of salt) when I was near the end of the bottle. I wonder if it's because the larger size bottles aren't common (in fact I only saw Sephora and a few handful of places selling it) and thus it has been sitting in a hot warehouse for too long? Anyhow, I'm going to return and repurchase the 2 oz bottle on Amazon. Hopefully that will work out!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PierreBear I doubt anything was wrong with it, but sometimes when they reformulate a perfume, they can change the makeup that makes it last longer or smell as good. I don't know when they last reformulated Chloe, and of course thats not something advertised. But if you noticed a difference that says they likely did something. A smaller bottle may not make the difference, or, who knows you may get an older bottle that smells like you remembered!

P

PierreBear

@PierreBear I doubt anything was wrong with it, but sometimes when they reformulate a perfume, they can change the makeup that makes it last longer or smell as good. I don't know when they last reformulated Chloe, and of course thats not something advertised. But if you noticed a difference that says they likely did something. A smaller bottle may not make the difference, or, who knows you may get an older bottle that smells like you remembered!

Oh wow... I didn't know they would reforumlate a perfume. Oh my... well before I read your post, I had already returned in. The one from Amazon is coming so perhaps that might be what I'm more used to. If it isn't well, at least it is half the price! Thanks for the perfume pointers! Can't wait to smell as beautiful as you soon enough. Have a great day!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday everyone!!
We're moving house, so I needed a comforting, luxurious fragrance that packs a punch.

So I'm layering Tauerville Rose flash (jammy, fruity, slightly tobaccoed rose- yes I got thta one as well :oops:)
over l'erbolario Meharees body lotion.

This is giving a slightly incensey musk note and even more depth to the rose...

I used to be pretty conservative regarding fragrance layering, but discovered some combos I adore by accident.
What are you guys thoughts on layering?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please help! My favorite fragrance is elie saab original Le Parfum. I am almost out and was going to order it online. Neimans, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's all out or not listed on their website. I only found it through discount perfume outlets but I have never ordered from those places before because I think the fragrances are old. I looked on elie saab website and it still has the original listed but no word on why it is out everywhere. They don't sell it on elie saab. Any ideas or advice?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian is in the midst of Hurricane Irma right now as I type. I just came back to check whether she had posted to this thread today. I think she deserves a new, special scent for surviving this storm once it is all over! Prayers outgoing to her.

Deb

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Deb, today I wore Fan di Fendi Fraiche. Oh man It was NEEDED. Its a great scent, considering my situation one that wore very well! Probably one of the best hot weather scents I have!

@ceg check walgreens online. they should have it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Deb, today I wore Fan di Fendi Fraiche.

...​

Its a great scent, considering my situation one that wore very well! Probably one of the best hot weather scents I have!

I do not know that scent. What is it like?

Deb :wavey:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Deb, today I wore Fan di Fendi Fraiche. Oh man It was NEEDED. Its a great scent, considering my situation one that wore very well! Probably one of the best hot weather scents I have!

@ceg check walgreens online. they should have it.

Walgreens! ?!? Really? I have always been skeptical about buying from anywhere except major department stores. Is the perfume new (i mean fresh not unused) or is it overstock that is older? Thanks!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the perfume new (i mean fresh not unused) or is it overstock that is older?

Does that matter? After I confessed here to having thrown out bottles and bottles of old Shalimar and Moschino and similar perfumes, I was made to feel I had committed a crime, because they were still good!

Deb
:saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results