shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

P

PierreBear

MFK is a good brand. They were purchased by LVH (Louise Vuitton Holdings) so take that as you will.

The sales associate is really drinking the koolaid or they're reading the marketing material all wrong. Yes, A la Rose has 2 types of natural rose, but its augmented by synthetics. Most perfumes on the mainstream market (niche or not) use them and that is because of IFRA. MFK has gone on record saying of course he uses synthetics. Really good ones, sure, but most perfumers do. If A la Rose was all natural, trust me it would be WAY more expensive. He is also an amazing perfumer, and worked with a lot of brands well before he had his own.

Basically buy it if you love the smell, don't buy it thinking you're getting a natural perfume. If you're really interested in going that route there are some really

An amazing rose perfume would be Serge Lutens Sa Majestic la Rose. Totally synthetic and you'd never know by smelling it.

Thanks for sharing your insight. Well MFK perfume is already pretty pricey so I'll won't even venture out to true pure perfumes. haha! Did you find that MFK didn't have a strong lasting power? I'll check into Serge Lutens Sa Majestic!! Thank you so much!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your insight. Well MFK perfume is already pretty pricey so I'll won't even venture out to true pure perfumes. haha! Did you find that MFK didn't have a strong lasting power? I'll check into Serge Lutens Sa Majestic!! Thank you so much!!

The one you liked so much was created in particular for the Japanese Market. And in that market a full blown, long wearing perfume can be considered gauche. I think a lot of perfumes specific to that market tend to be muted and light and not terribly long lasting. the MFK line, it can depend on longevity, and how heavy the actual perfume is too.

P

PierreBear

The one you liked so much was created in particular for the Japanese Market. And in that market a full blown, long wearing perfume can be considered gauche. I think a lot of perfumes specific to that market tend to be muted and light and not terribly long lasting. the MFK line, it can depend on longevity, and how heavy the actual perfume is too.

Thanks for sharing your insight. How very interesting that some cultures may desire a scent that is not long lasting. I wonder if that means they do not reapply and thus only wear scents either in the beginning of the day or perhaps just the evening when it's date night.

Do you work in the perfume industry? If not, I think you should get into it! You would be great at it! I've heard of custom perfumes that they tailor to your preferred scent and skin.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very interesting that some cultures may desire a scent that is not long lasting. I wonder if that means they do not reapply and thus only wear scents either in the beginning of the day or perhaps just the evening when it's date night.

That would be me too.

Wouldn't wish my scent to be fealt unless someone applied themselves to investigate; I need them for me ... [Things might go wrong, e.g. riding a bus after riding a horse, or MKK !]

Have you ever discovered a nice new scent while worn, not out of a bottle ?

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your insight. How very interesting that some cultures may desire a scent that is not long lasting. I wonder if that means they do not reapply and thus only wear scents either in the beginning of the day or perhaps just the evening when it's date night.

Do you work in the perfume industry? If not, I think you should get into it! You would be great at it! I've heard of custom perfumes that they tailor to your preferred scent and skin.

Custom or bespoke are made specifically to the wearer. Guerlain has a service (and its EXPENSIVE) where they create your specific formula. Of course there are some other perfumers who do it for a heck of a lot less. Neil Morris is a niche perfumer in Massachusetts. He does fantastic work and does bespoke for a heck of a lot cheaper than a bigger house. If you go the bespoke route with an experienced perfumer, you'll be spending quite a bit. 1K is not unheard of or cheap in that realm. The plus is that nobody will be able to wear it but you :mrgreen2:

You could also just layer perfumes. I do this often to come up with some pretty but unique mixes (som of which which might not always be successful...:P2) But its part of the fun of perfume.

I'm not in the industry, but I do love the stuff and like everything I really enjoy, research and education is the essence of understanding.

With perfumes and gems when you scratch below the surface, you realize its part science, and part art. Sure I get offered jobs for both, but I have to admit, I'm one of those that absolutely loves what I do for a living. Perfumes and gems are the things that relax me. Wouldn't change that for the world.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go the bespoke route with an experienced perfumer, you'll be spending quite a bit. 1K is not unheard of or cheap in that realm. The plus is that nobody will be able to wear it but you

& It will never change or vanish except on demand ...

[ I knew i'll be finding my next 'salt of life' project on PS ! ]

Ps.
... 'guess it takes folks like you Arcadian - who know & go through all the scents in the world, to make a single one happen for the unchanging folk ...

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@valeria101 I'm the weirdo of the family apparently ;)2:P2:mrgreen2: But I do love to smell stuff. For instance, I love the smell of my dogs head. :shock: she in turn likes to headbutt me at the smallest provocation Its cute though.

Today I'm wearing Vero Profumo Rozy edp. I've tried all the versions and love the extrait. Honey, Rose and passion fruit. Now imagine that as an extrait. yeah makes great art but not a great wearable. The EDP brings these elements to a level of wear-ability that makes sense. Honey in the extrait is very thick and can get to the urinic side, and here its lightly sweet and warm. The rose is just delectable. In the extrait is can overpower and not let the rest of the notes sing. Expensive as its over 200 bucks for 50ml, so a full bottle won't be in my near future, but I do love my decant of it :kiss2:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love to smell stuff.
You & I both !

____
Re. rose & honey: I do not know the Vero scent ... & your description is tempting because the mix of rose & honey reminds something beyond beautiful - the Turkish roses & their very honey-ed scent ! [else ... yes, I know there is such a thing as too much real honey smell - the old honeycombs smell of nothing I would care to eat]. Can you tell I come from the country ? - we grew those roses for jelly & acquaintances had bees ... Scents !

Vero does not sound silly $$$ - for a kind of 'jewelry' that runs out over a year or so ! ... [off to Google]

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@valeria101 I think you'll love Vero Kern's scents. I don't find them all to be wearable, but they are real works of art. She's also one of the few women in perfumery who's considered a master perfumer, and at 70+ won't always be around.
http://www.veroprofumo.com/

Today I'm wearing Prada L'eau Ambree. I LUV this stuff for summer. :kiss2: I find it too light the rest of the year but in summer this is amazing.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll love Vero Kern's scents.

I trust you on this one. With thanks: I can't imagine finding out about them in the next thirty years !

Vero lists two shops in Spain - both as far from my whereabouts as possible. Will think of something ...

... Prada L'eau Ambree ... too light the rest of the year but ... summer

Light is Good ! Amber makes me happy in all forms of aggregation .-) Prada - might as well be around [Google].

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I wore Histoires de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge I'm beginning to really appreciate this house a lot. They do some pretty cool and quirky stuff. Tomorrow I get to work on a very large sample package sent to me by a really amazing person. There's a good 20 things in there for sure!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing L`Or de Torrente. A couple of things; I'm probably trying it at the wrong time of year, I realized that when I first sprayed. It bloomed pretty darn fast but its also hot and humid here today so got a feeling I may have missed notes as they zoomed past. I get coffee, rose , maybe a little citrus,and Angelica. The angelica is really strong, a big bracing herbal thing that I smelled first. At times I catch something dry and spicy but not sure what it is, could be the amber.

But its pretty, I really like it. It might be a bit formal for my normal daily wear of shorts and flip flops...lol Not that I care, I wear what I want when I want (if I waited to wear stuff over half my perfume wardrobe wouldn't get worn. )

My fragrance buddy sent (scent:lol:) me a decent sized decant so I will retry this on a cooler day.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be a bit formal

What do you mean 'formal' ?

['guess this tells you that perfume doesn't run in the local culture much - anything goes anywhere, where 'anything' is rose or lavender]

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diptyque Tam Dao for me ...woody perfection. This is one of the perfumes that work in any weather for me. So at the momen it's cold in the mornings and rather warm after noon - no bad surprises here perfume-wise.

It's also one of the few I always need a backup of.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean 'formal' ?

['guess this tells you that perfume doesn't run in the local culture much - anything goes anywhere, where 'anything' is rose or lavender]

Formal as in, I need a ballgown for this one...lol Of course I can't wait for that, life is to darn short!:mrgreen2:

Today I'm wearing Xerjoff Mamluk. whooosa...where to start?
It is sweet, honey, caramel, vanilla, lawd.... But its also pretty. There's floral aspects that I like though the jasmine here is candied. Its got oud (likely not real but still) and its definitely something I smell a lot of in the beginning. Musk is present, and smells very nice, not too harsh.

Up close it smells like...chocolate:lol-2: further away you can smell the different notes. A firm like, but I have to admit, I got a little nauseous smelling up close, which means its probably the wrong time of year for this.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I have a fragrance sandwich of Diptyque eau Rose and Chanel Beige. Both excel in hot weather and really compliment each other. I'm almost out of Serge Lutens Sa Magestic la Rose so this may well be a suitable replacement (they're roses on the same plane but Diptyque is a bit muskier with a delicious litche note)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I wore Ann Gerared Rose Cut. Very interesting mix. This is one that the initial spray is like "oh my what did I do", but I really like it a lot more once it starts to dry down. I spent a few days with it, if it tells you how much I hate it :roll2::P2:mrgreen2: A bottle though is on the expensive side.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, just came here to post that every time I see this thread pop back up, I know who the last poster will be! Love your consistency, Arc (not to mention how much I've learned from you about fragrance)...

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Demeter cocktail today. Linen + Bulgarian rose + Orange blossom = Regency England (:lol-2: at least in my head). I totally pictured Mr. Tilney discussing muslin as I sprayed it on.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@windblownhair that sounds very lush. I like that combination!!

today I pulled out yet another sample; L'Artisan Safran Troublant. Wow, beautiful candied saffron, rose, milky vanilla, and a slight ginger bite.

I'm not the biggest fan of gourmands, thats especially true for milky gourmands, but this one is really well done! Its not super loud either. I mean sure, not exactly a Florida Summer perfume, but one I can see wearing in winter around here. (cooler parts of the US and where there's not much humidity I could see wearing this year round) Sillage is low even for summer, but makes it actually tolerable. Away from the terrible sky high humidity we can have here, the thick milkiness would be beautiful. The rose here is light. I'd personally prefer the rose to be more out front to cut that milkiness a bit. But its very there, and its a living rose thats slightly lemony.

I'm also not the biggest fan of L'Artisan mainly because the fragrances are so light, but maybe I might have to eat my words a little on this house :oops2:

@minousbijoux thanks...lol Perfumes are a nice cheap side thing. But granted I've got lots of gems that as of now sit unset.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
today I pulled out yet another sample; L'Artisan Safran Troublant. Wow, beautiful candied saffron, rose, milky vanilla, and a slight ginger bite.

... nice rice desert, usually done with pomengranate rather than ginger ǹòte for next time].

Thx for writing !

Perfume diary ? [if there are others, I wouldn't know ...]

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds delicious. I've been looking for a saffron perfume to give my sis-in-law (my sis-in-law named her daughter Saffron and I thought it'd be fun to give her a matching perfume). Have you smelled any other saffron perfumes? Or would you recommend just going for this one?

I classify it as a gourmand though L'Artisan classifies it at an Oriental. And of course there's things that I totally disagree with them over (but hey I'm not the perfumer...lol)

https://www.artisanparfumeur.com/UK/perfumes/oriental/safran-troublant-eau-de-toilette-1243153.html

Perfume opinions can be all over the place and because we smell things differently. My opinions are going to be different based on my unique set of factors than someone elses, meaning, your sister may not even like it were she to try it. I'm also a big advocate of testing to see if it works for you. L'artisan is found in a lot of higher end department stores (not sure about this particular one) so the brand should be easy enough to find (you can look on their website for stocklists though)

So I did a little test on a neutral testing strip in a room that reads 78F, 52% humidity which takes my personal skin chemistry out of the equation. Keep in mind, its still an opinion and I still don't totally agree with the perfume house on its designation:

I can smell astringent and herbal saffron with rose. The rose is not sweet, a slight metallic edge and its got a bit of a lemony kick to it, Saffron is almost tea like at first but is definitely sweetened saffron. On neutral strip its not as candied. The heat from ginger is very out front at first and other spices (smells like cinnamon and and nutmeg to me) also can be smelled. I also get milky vanilla as a base (why they don't mention the milk is beyond me!)

Few minutes into drydown on the neutral strip it basically it smells like a hot chai tea with milk and roses.
--
Tell me what your sister-in-law likes, and I'll see if I can build a test list.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Testing Tauerville fragrances...
So far I love Rose Flash, Vanilla Flash, Incense Flash.I have to say that they smell pretty similar to me because of the strong Tauerade base.
Now I need decide which one is full bottle worthy...

Fruitchouli Flash, Tuberose Flash were scrubbers for me...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Testing Tauerville fragrances...
So far I love Rose Flash, Vanilla Flash, Incense Flash.I have to say that they smell pretty similar to me because of the strong Tauerade base.
Now I need decide which one is full bottle worthy...

Fruitchouli Flash, Tuberose Flash were scrubbers for me...
The Tauerville series seems like so much fun.

When I started with Andy's stuff it was the Pentachord series. yeah that was horrible. One was like dirt and mouthwash, the other grapes. Then there's one I can't even remember and I wonder if its because it was just that bad on me.

I was sent some Une Rose de Kandahar and I have to admit I didn't like it at first. I'm waiting for a cooler day to retry. I want to like Tauers, I really do. I'll just keep trying.. :(

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I classify it as a gourmand though L'Artisan classifies it at an Oriental. And of course there's things that I totally disagree with them over (but hey I'm not the perfumer...lol)

https://www.artisanparfumeur.com/UK/perfumes/oriental/safran-troublant-eau-de-toilette-1243153.html

Perfume opinions can be all over the place and because we smell things differently. My opinions are going to be different based on my unique set of factors than someone elses, meaning, your sister may not even like it were she to try it. I'm also a big advocate of testing to see if it works for you. L'artisan is found in a lot of higher end department stores (not sure about this particular one) so the brand should be easy enough to find (you can look on their website for stocklists though)

So I did a little test on a neutral testing strip in a room that reads 78F, 52% humidity which takes my personal skin chemistry out of the equation. Keep in mind, its still an opinion and I still don't totally agree with the perfume house on its designation:

I can smell astringent and herbal saffron with rose. The rose is not sweet, a slight metallic edge and its got a bit of a lemony kick to it, Saffron is almost tea like at first but is definitely sweetened saffron. On neutral strip its not as candied. The heat from ginger is very out front at first and other spices (smells like cinnamon and and nutmeg to me) also can be smelled. I also get milky vanilla as a base (why they don't mention the milk is beyond me!)

Few minutes into drydown on the neutral strip it basically it smells like a hot chai tea with milk and roses.
--
Tell me what your sister-in-law likes, and I'll see if I can build a test list.

She wears a lot of gourmand and floral scents. Stays away from anything too strongly citrus because they rarely smell citrus on her skin. Other than that, anything is fair game.

A list would be lovely. I'll buy some decanted samples first so we can have a little perfume party and try everything on her before going for the full bottle. Thank you! :kiss2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="Arcadian, post: I'm waiting for a cooler day to retry. I want to like Tauers, I really do. I'll just keep trying.. :([/QUOTE]

Ha,so I'm not the only one who finds his regular line demanding - in the sense that I personally have to make an intellectual effort to try to "get" most of them...

Tauerville is more fun to me... Since I generally love jammy rose, tobacco, resins and tea, Rose, Incense and Vanilla FLlash were easy likes...

Drained my bottle of FM L'eau d'hiver today. Sad... need to repurchase

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds delicious. I've been looking for a saffron perfume to give my sis-in-law (my sis-in-law named her daughter Saffron and I thought it'd be fun to give her a matching perfume). Have you smelled any other saffron perfumes? Or would you recommend just going for this one?

Notes below are based on what I can remember and what I have in my wardrobe and a few of these, I had to go back and sniff the samples (I'm a little ill after one of them...lol)

Atelier d’Orient Plum Japonais - Tom Ford
Easy enough to find and worth smelling. As the name suggests, its a big ol plum. The Oud here is totally synthetic but somewhat manageable. Thankfully its not an entire barnyard. It is on the spicer end, but then again there's not much in this perfume thats muted. I've got several big plummy scents (Jil Sander No4!!) so I passed on it, but this one is worth checking out.

Duelle - Diptyque
They can really do no wrong. Diptyque is one of my favorite houses for lots of reasons (including my scent of the day today...lol). This is one of their safer scents (its an herbal vanilla really) but it can go anywhere. Its a people pleaser. I had it, then traded it for something else...lol But still if she's not adventurous it would be a step outside for her and its quite luxe. I would go for the EDP for depth and longevity over the EDT.

Journey Woman - Amouage
I really liked journey which isn't gourmand but a moist floral. Its starts off with apricot, osmanthus, honey, with some tobacco and powdery mimosa. I'm an unfortunate soul when it comes to this one as it just didn't work for me. But its really a lovely perfume and worth checking out.

Aftelier Chocolate & Saffron Body Oil & Hair Elixir
This is some of natural perfumery at its finest. I wish they made this into a perfume, but I do indeed love this as a body/hair oil OMG soooo goood!:kiss2::kiss2: I have 2 bottles of this stuff. I hope she never stops making it...

21 CoSTUME NATIONAL
First thoughts that came to mind on this one is "Creamy". This one has patchouli right up front, so its a note she'll have to like, but also has saffron, tonka, vanilla, and amber, and milky notes. Its a lot like Habanita l'Esprit without the nutmeg. Can be worn day or night.

24 Elixir Gold ScentStory
You MUST like sugar because you get sugar, sweet, ooey gooey sweetness..lol I felt like i was gonna be in a diabetic coma. It does contain oud, and not the kind I like. Still, its worthy to try because ... people vary :P2

Italica - Xerjoff
Xerjoff as a brand...when they do sweet you really know it. This one is unmistakable gourmand. Its the closest to Safran Troublant but with almonds.

Saffron - Jo Malone London
This one is now discontinued. Its primarily a woody scent but Jo Malone's are usually very light (at least to me they are) I don't know how anyone would dislike it. If you can still locate it, worth a sniff.

Daphne - Comme Des Garcons
This one is a huge favorite for me and reminiscent of classical perfumery with a very modern edge. Totally discontinued (makes me almost cry thinking about it) This is a chewy carmalized tuberose, with oud, and herbal saffon.

However, if you want to get her something that she will just likely like off the bat without saffron;
Orchidee Vanille - Van Cleef & Arpels (and its such a nice bottle too!)

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Notes below are based on what I can remember and what I have in my wardrobe and a few of these, I had to go back and sniff the samples (I'm a little ill after one of them...lol)

Atelier d’Orient Plum Japonais - Tom Ford
Easy enough to find and worth smelling. As the name suggests, its a big ol plum. The Oud here is totally synthetic but somewhat manageable. Thankfully its not an entire barnyard. It is on the spicer end, but then again there's not much in this perfume thats muted. I've got several big plummy scents (Jil Sander No4!!) so I passed on it, but this one is worth checking out.

Duelle - Diptyque
They can really do no wrong. Diptyque is one of my favorite houses for lots of reasons (including my scent of the day today...lol). This is one of their safer scents (its an herbal vanilla really) but it can go anywhere. Its a people pleaser. I had it, then traded it for something else...lol But still if she's not adventurous it would be a step outside for her and its quite luxe. I would go for the EDP for depth and longevity over the EDT.

Journey Woman - Amouage
I really liked journey which isn't gourmand but a moist floral. Its starts off with apricot, osmanthus, honey, with some tobacco and powdery mimosa. I'm an unfortunate soul when it comes to this one as it just didn't work for me. But its really a lovely perfume and worth checking out.

Aftelier Chocolate & Saffron Body Oil & Hair Elixir
This is some of natural perfumery at its finest. I wish they made this into a perfume, but I do indeed love this as a body/hair oil OMG soooo goood!:kiss2::kiss2: I have 2 bottles of this stuff. I hope she never stops making it...

21 CoSTUME NATIONAL
First thoughts that came to mind on this one is "Creamy". This one has patchouli right up front, so its a note she'll have to like, but also has saffron, tonka, vanilla, and amber, and milky notes. Its a lot like Habanita l'Esprit without the nutmeg. Can be worn day or night.

24 Elixir Gold ScentStory
You MUST like sugar because you get sugar, sweet, ooey gooey sweetness..lol I felt like i was gonna be in a diabetic coma. It does contain oud, and not the kind I like. Still, its worthy to try because ... people vary :P2

Italica - Xerjoff
Xerjoff as a brand...when they do sweet you really know it. This one is unmistakable gourmand. Its the closest to Safran Troublant but with almonds.

Saffron - Jo Malone London
This one is now discontinued. Its primarily a woody scent but Jo Malone's are usually very light (at least to me they are) I don't know how anyone would dislike it. If you can still locate it, worth a sniff.

Daphne - Comme Des Garcons
This one is a huge favorite for me and reminiscent of classical perfumery with a very modern edge. Totally discontinued (makes me almost cry thinking about it) This is a chewy carmalized tuberose, with oud, and herbal saffon.

However, if you want to get her something that she will just likely like off the bat without saffron;
Orchidee Vanille - Van Cleef & Arpels (and its such a nice bottle too!)

Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of providing such a thorough list. They all sound amazing. I've got a sneaking suspicion I'm going to end up buying multiple bottles off the list.:whistle:

I've got a Diptyque Fig scent (uh oh...the name escapes me at the moment) that's deliciously creamy and woody. I'm totally excited to try another of their scents. And I have yet to be disappointed by a Tom Ford. Off to load up my cart with decants. Thank you again! :kiss2:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll buy some decanted samples first so we can have a little perfume party and try everything on her before going for the full bottle.

Amouage has sets of such - cca. $100 for ten vials (I think). Journey - above-mentioned, in included.

I would recommend the Library collection - the scents are all very complex & each is worth dwelling on ! (more worth re-reading than most of my library) I doubt my description would be any better than the author's words - there is enough going on in each of the ten titles, that anyone could have an unexpected impression of each: nice for a perfume party, methinks ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results