shape
carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Guarana1994

Rough_Rock
For me the best parfumes for summer are HUGO BOSS THE SCENT and GUCCI FLORA. Cheaper version maybe would be ARIANA GRANDE.
For winter and autumn - MOLINARDI VANILLA PATCHOULI and TF BLACK ORCHID. Lighter scent - Paco rabanne one million and light blue :) also gucci the one (this one reminds me of amber necklace for babies scent) :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing a layering of Chanel Coromandel and Prada Oeillet No2. This was a chance pairing because...I wanted to see what it smelled like... its not bad I do like it, but not exactly suited for our summers down here! Both of these are on the heavy on their own but together...its like a mac truck...then you add lots of heat humidity, no bueno.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 favorites are Elie Saab and Quelques Fleurs. Both are apologetically floral.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Monda di Orio Tubereuse. This is a twilight tuberose. Green, milky, alive. Nothing like fracas (thankfully!) Not that I don't like Fracas but I can't wear that every day ya know? This one is also man friendly, meaning a man could wear this without it smelling like a man wearing Fracas...lol.

I bought this the year it came out and I maybe have a quarter of the bottle left.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is yet another beauty, this time is Caron Tubereuse. Instead of twilight, its mid morning, ladies-who-lunch tuberose. Nothing cheap about her but nothing too outrageous, a fruity slightly candied floral with a bit of peach bellini's and just a WEE bit of skank (I guess its not really skank but smells like...musky mushrooms?) I'd buy a vat of this stuff if I could afford it...lol.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to go full on floral despite /because of the extreme heat: diptyque Olène (very lightly sprayed).
I love how this blooms in the right weather!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing L'Artisan Rapelle-Toi. A company not known for strong scents but this one is full on Diva Gardenia.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still unusually (very) hot here, so I brought out another summer favourite: Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile EDT.
Citrusy floral. Slightly clean - exactly what I needed in the heat.
@Arcadian : I'm intrigued by the L'AP Rapelle - toi. Never saw it in the store here. What do you think of it?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari, my SOTD was a part of the Explosions d'Emotions series. The entire series was actually quite interesting and much stronger than this house usually puts out. I remember seeing this series only at the higher end stores like Barney's at perfume boutiques and online. Deliria (now discontinued) is extremely odd. Its got a metallic note I couldn't get past, but for some it reminded them of being at a carnival (note profile is cotton candy, apples, toffee, metallic notes, and rum)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore rhubarb (Hermes) for so many days in a row straight that I got bored with it. So I took a break and wore Jo Malone White lilac and rhubarb. (It smells just like my white lilac bush when it blooms, and not at all like rhubarb to me.) It was spectacular, but I am bored again. I now have a cabinet top full of scents, but I don't know what I want to wear except rhubarb. I think I am depressed.

Deb

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari, my SOTD was a part of the Explosions d'Emotions series. The entire series was actually quite interesting and much stronger than this house usually puts out. I remember seeing this series only at the higher end stores like Barney's at perfume boutiques and online. Deliria (now discontinued) is extremely odd. Its got a metallic note I couldn't get past, but for some it reminded them of being at a carnival (note profile is cotton candy, apples, toffee, metallic notes, and rum)
Interesting, thanks Arcadian!
I'll try to sniff this series. I love gardenia and quite many L'AP. I agree that many are quite fleeting. The most fleeting being Thé pour u. Été - lasts about one hour max. on me

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore rhubarb (Hermes) for so many days in a row straight that I got bored with it. So I took a break and wore Jo Malone White lilac and rhubarb. (It smells just like my white lilac bush when it blooms, and not at all like rhubarb to me.) It was spectacular, but I am bored again. I now have a cabinet top full of scents, but I don't know what I want to wear except rhubarb. I think I am depressed.

Deb
Deb, maybe to get out of the rhubarb rut, you just do a coin flip and wear one. I sometimes do that...:oops: I'm only semi embarrassed to admit I do this when I'm being indecisive...but I have a lot to be worn. But you have been through a lot and I don't doubt the rut is partially because of that. Its not easy to lose someone so close. (hugs).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Clinique Aromatics in White. I have a small 4ml sample that who knows where it came from ...lol I've had it for a while but just kind of forgotten about it.

Whoa... its not what you think it is! This is musky rose, resins, powder, but its also quite clean smelling. no skank here! This is a power perfume. I'm not really describing it correctly but yea I can see why they put this in a white bottle. I really can't wear the original Aromatics Elixir, it wears me instead! But this, oh wow, I can wear this one!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Chanel's new EAU. Heavenly. I can smell jasmine {I think that's what it is} and other floral notes.
I just bout Jo Malone's Bluebell. Really pretty.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, maybe to get out of the rhubarb rut, you just do a coin flip and wear one. I sometimes do that...:oops: I'm only semi embarrassed to admit I do this when I'm being indecisive...but I have a lot to be worn. But you have been through a lot and I don't doubt the rut is partially because of that. Its not easy to lose someone so close. (hugs).

I picked at random and am wearing Jo Malone's "Bluebell" (I swear I did not see Amber St. Clare's posting above!), a scent I had bought in a very small size but never tried. I like it. It isn't heavenly (in my opinion), but very nice. Thank you for caring, Arcadian!

Deb :wavey:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
What has happened to perfume in the last 20 years? I used to be able to wear Chloe, Cristal and a few other perfumes . And they were perfume, not eau toilette. nothing lasts on me for more than an hour. I've had other people to try to smell if I am wearing it but usually they can't tell. Has the formulation (i.e. cheaper ingredients) taken over or has my body turned into a toxic ump?

I nearly went into mourning when Chloe began to smell like bug repellant on me.
thanks if anyone can tell.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is a cerruti day. I think Cerruti is one of those houses that are just way underrated. anyway I'm wearing Fraicheur d`ete which is really for what it is, an excellent perfume.

Notes of Interest are tomato leaf which I don't always like but love here, rhubarb, and bergamont. They paired this with violet and frangapi which get in the beginning but not during dry-down. The woods here are really nice, not overdone. IMO unisex for sure as its extremely green and has a very fresh feel.

Many of the cerrutis are hard to find in some cases if they're not limited editions, can be picked up at discounters for very little.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Amber St. Clare unfortunately reformulation is pretty rampant though most perfumers won't talk about it. Uncle Serge does as does some of the more modern perfumers. Guerlain of does as well (bless them) But IFRA has had its hand in ruining so many perfumes and some have become chemical soups because the price of good natural raw materials keeps going up, and the price for some of the more unnatural counterparts go down. The other piece to this is that we're in a perfume sensitive society these days. Lord forbid you actually want to smell good, someone will complain. Not saying that there aren't some legitimate complaints (some are, I have them too) but seriously, people complain about fabric softner, or even lotions. Lotion?

The unforunate part is if you want quality, you have to pay for it. I have no issues using fragrancenet or Notino to augment my wardrobe as they allow me to stretch those dollars. Yeah they can have old stock but its fine with me considering the change that happen in perfumery!

When I started out I wore Fendi's flagship fume like nobody's business. But I had stopped buying it by the 90's because it had changed to something that was disgusting. It wasn't my nose (I recently got my nose on some original stuff which made my heart flutter!!) but it was the fact they changed something in their ingredient list.

Thats the same with just about every perfume I have ever owned, including the Chanel (very much so, hell some don't even smell like the same perfume!) But they will baldface lie and say they don't change the formula.
tumblr_oji598zNrc1r1ult6o1_500.gif

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Just as I figured. I remember how nice Ma Griffe {sp?} smelled when I young and living in the city. I would get compliments left and right. Now, no one notices.

And that you or that very helpful explanation.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm strung out....and working too much (but what else is new??) If it weren't for perfumes I probably would have lost it by now. Its now a year of 60+ hour weeks. I probably need a vacation at this point.

so today to keep me ordered and calm I'm wearing chanel boise de iles. Here's whats funny; years ago I tried the EDT. hated it because it smelled too much like No5 and that perfume just makes me sad (it reminds me too much of my grandmother) fast forward and the new EDP's are glorious. Lots of yummy sandalwood, a lot less aldehydes. Has the feel of no 5 but for me its faint, Love it! had to have it. I wasn't happy about it but I was (I got in before the price hike!)

Also I don't know if you guys go to Hautelook, but YOSH is on sale for 29.99 right now. Those bottles are usually over 100 bucks, which means hell yes they were overpriced! LOL

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing guerlain shalimar initial. Its one of the flankers that works pretty well but still has that whisper of eau de catpiss...lol its tolerable and I'm the only one that smells it.

Today its also VERY sweet, but I think its because I've been having hot flashes the last 2 days so changes the way perfumes smell on me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing guerlain shalimar initial.

I used to wear Shalimar daily as teenager, but I don't know what current Shalimar that would be analogous to! There are, now, so many of them. What is "Shalimar Initial" as opposed to other Shalimars?

I am wearing (for the first time) a Jo Malone "Red Roses" cologne I bought a while ago. I was disappointed in it, I think because I had expected an actual rose scent like the rose scent in the Tea Roses perfume I had years ago.

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Today I layered TokyoMilk's Chance No 18 with Demeter's Paperback. Bamboo+tea+fig+old books made me envision being in a used book store in Japan. It was delightful.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to wear Shalimar daily as teenager, but I don't know what current Shalimar that would be analogous to! There are, now, so many of them. What is "Shalimar Initial" as opposed to other Shalimars?

I am wearing (for the first time) a Jo Malone "Red Roses" cologne I bought a while ago. I was disappointed in it, I think because I had expected an actual rose scent like the rose scent in the Tea Roses perfume I had years ago.

Shalimar Initial was created for the younger crowd (so they say. I think it was more or less for the money...lol) Its Shalimar without the shalimar issues. So instead of lots of smoky vanilla, you get candied vanilla.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its so gross that my patchouli plants are wilting.... Which means today we're going for refreshing. I'm wearing Man!Darrin from the now defunct Haute Parfums. Being its an extrait (and boy can you tell it!) I tempered it (because by itself a bit strong) with Caron Tubereuse, which adds a light but candied floral to the mix.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wore this again today. (I am really falling in love with it.) I was told how good I smelled, which is unusual! I originally found this in the men's department at Neiman Marcus, but I am claiming it for my scent!
Deb :wavey:

I finally tried this scent! I liked it but not enough to buy it. I also tried a Tom Ford and a Sisley--but came home empty handed. ho hum.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday we had a cocktail hour and luncheon to celebrate my father's life. It turned out to be beautiful. I am not sure how many people ended up coming, but more than we expected, more than 80. The restaurant had to set up more tables and we had already changed our reservation to the largest room they had as the number of people coming grew. I wore Mandarin, Neroli, and Cedar by Dame, which I truly love. I found it in this thread. It is a really clean fragrance, but has substance. It just seemed appropriate and like a favorite scent to wear for what was, for me, an important occasion.

Deb

ETA: Sharon, as always, our post count is neck and neck. Today you are at 17,116 and I am at 16,991! I do not know how we always manage to stay so well aligned.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like it was lovely Deb. Dame Perfumery is a fantastic little company :)
Today I wore Boadicea the Victorious Intense. The fruit in this is out in force without being a total fruit salad.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely fragrance fiend...(lol) Sent me a small sample of Chanel Gabrielle. I was willing to wait but nah, she said she wanted my impressions.

Its not bad. Its not as bold as I would have anticipated with a name like Gabrielle, and frankly, its a bit too floral (WHAT????? :-o :razz:) We all know I don't shy away from floral anything, but its not what I expected here. My first sprays I got hit with tuberose/ylang-ylang right off the bat. But it is florida humidity plays a big part of that I believe. Anything citrus was fleeting. Some feel its somewhat of a chanel signature departure but I don't totally feel that way because you only have to look at Chance and Mademoiselle to see where they regurgitated some of the notes. black currant thankfully doesn't turn into cat piss, which on me it can.

Longevity however is quite good (at least so far!!) This fume feels quite young, and considering they're going after a younger but sophisticated crowd, matches up with their marketing angle and aldehydes are well hidden. (you still get them, that signature soap is in every bottle!)

I guess the official launch is August 19 for Gabrielle's birthday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results