shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have owned/own tension settings

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the ring in your possession? or have you tried on some at the jewelers? I say this because I have tried several as well oh about 6 years ago, and tried to pair a band while at the jewelers only come to find out that the rise off the finger was quite tall for my liking to pair with a band.. .I usually like my bands taller than my ering (just the way my eyes enjoy things)

because of the "heft" of the ring, I find that it looks best on its own so you don't cover up that amazing suspension.

If you do have a jeweler nearby that carries even not the same brand but some "tension" rings, I would try and go and have a band pairing party there...lol you might be surprise what you like or don't like together.

I tried on #2 without the additional row of diamonds, it was just the scattered one they had, but i felt like I was "missing" something (because it was a little more subtle) but nothing looked good for me together and the total combined with band width to the tension width was too much for my finger since I have such short finger

#1 would be probably by itself, or just a plain band, Its too much going on for me to pair with anything if that makes sense? Beautiful on its own.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T here's a "top" view of option 2 on a ring holder thing. Makes it easier to imagine IRL.
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 11.11.32 AM.png

This one doesn't have the scattered, but all ribbon diamond?... love this! But I would not wear with a band myself. If I do, it would be a minimal band more plain.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like #2 or your last one, as I love the "roundness" of the ring, vs a "flat" look...haha does that make sense?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha I'm silly and didn't explain myself right. These pics are of the same setting (just different pics):
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 11.11.32 AM.png

tr-196_grande.jpeg

So it has a few scattered diamonds (I think), and the "swirly" stuff.

there are few places around here that I could try on any of these options, but I think I found at least 1 place where I can try on a few G&A designs. I'm definitely going to do that, good idea!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the plan! I get some Fridays off, so maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll go on a jewelry trying-on spree :)
F5

F5

F5

F5

F5

;-) :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is harder than I expected! So many Jewelers don't carry these, or only have 3 to show. Went to one of the places, and they had 2 G&A designs and 1 faux tension.

Unfortunately the 2 actual tension sets were princess, which isn't my style . But here are pics.

20190301_113110.jpg 20190301_113107.jpg 20190301_113025.jpg 20190301_113022.jpg 20190301_113557.jpg 20190301_113553.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this... could change to RB bu more importantly did you try any bands with them?
upload_2019-3-1_13-11-35.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this... could change to RB bu more importantly did you try any bands with them?
This was only 1ct, and I was imagining a 7mm stone (more like 1.3), meaning there's almost no way for a band to work without being able too wide for me. which is helpful because it means not worrying about pairing it with anything.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's one more place I can try, but it's further away so need to wait for the weekend. Hoping they have more variety!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's one more place I can try, but it's further away so need to wait for the weekend. Hoping they have more variety!
Try calling around asking if they carry any tension even if not G&A so you don’t have to run around all over.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so more looking around today. One store who told me via phone that they had tension sets *actually didn't*. I was very irritated. But I did get a chance to try on a 6mm width setting with channel cut stones on the top, which is similar to what I wanted with a tension set. It was helpful, bc now I'm 100% sure I don't need a wedding band.

20190303_124302.jpg

And also was able to try on this one at Robbins brothers (which I hate as a place, but they had this faux tension one with a .5ct stone to show me).

20190303_134241.jpg 20190303_134246.jpg 20190303_134455.jpg

This was helpful because it made me 100% sure I want a tension set, and because I think even a plain shank would be really nice.

@D&T what do you think about plain vs diamond shank?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so more looking around today. One store who told me via phone that they had tension sets *actually didn't*. I was very irritated. But I did get a chance to try on a 6mm width setting with channel cut stones on the top, which is similar to what I wanted with a tension set. It was helpful, bc now I'm 100% sure I don't need a wedding band.

20190303_124302.jpg

And also was able to try on this one at Robbins brothers (which I hate as a place, but they had this faux tension one with a .5ct stone to show me).

This was helpful because it made me 100% sure I want a tension set, and because I think even a plain shank would be really nice.

I love that you were able to test out a wider set ring and know for sure you don’t need a band. It really helps. So I agree with you that if you got the 6mm with diamonds on the shank then no band.

The plain hmm I’m torn because I love love the simplicity of a tension ring that showcase your “diamond” but it it’s the one above where the shank is straight across vs an asymmetrical/bypass look then I think you could add a fun bezel like or channel band I think but if it was a plain bypass/asymmetrical look (hope I’m making sense lol) then no band as the art of the tension itself.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

20190303_124302.jpg

I love that you were able to test out a wider set ring and know for sure you don’t need a band. It really helps. So I agree with you that if you got the 6mm with diamonds on the shank then no band.

The plain hmm I’m torn because I love love the simplicity of a tension ring that showcase your “diamond” but if it’s the one above where the shank is straight across vs an asymmetrical/bypass look then I think you could add a fun bezel like or channel band I think but if it was a plain bypass/asymmetrical look (hope I’m making sense lol) then no band as the art of the tension itself.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the contrast of the 'strong', squared-off first setting against your 'soft' feminine hands - it's a great juxtaposition :))

(I do like 'bold' settings, though :lol: lol)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I'm now leaning towards getting one like @angeline has, but made by Bruce Boone in titanium. What do you think @OoohShiny and @D&T about this:

IMG_1698.jpeg IMG_1704.jpeg IMG_1661.jpeg IMG_1653.jpeg

After today, I feel like the plain band could work, and maybe I wouldn't need the channel diamonds. I also love the strong look!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still love this look on your hand especially with a Round and the width of the band with just the touch of diamonds on the shank and agree with @OoohShiny love that juxtaposition

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still love this look on your hand especially with a Round and the width of the band with just the touch of diamonds on the shank and agree with @OoohShiny love that juxtaposition
Hmmm, it's hard for me to imagine it w. a round, and princess is SO not my style. I'm off to google the setting with a round.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angeline’s ring is lovely too... the plain faux you posted above reminds me of a G&A ring on here oh so long ago with a blue diamond in 18kYG, she paired it with a plain band and it was GOrGEOUs!! I’ll have to find it (hope I can) and post it

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi lovedogs, I remembered I had some photos from my recent visit to a Niessing store. I thought I would post them for you. There aren't a lot of tension pics on PS, so the more the merrier right!

They are Niessing red gold, in the Lucia setting with a 1.5ct diamond. The width of the setting is about 5.5mm I think and the band that I tried it with is 4.5mm. I liked the oval shape of the arms of the setting as you are looking at the diamond.

I loved this look so much. Just lots of lovely molten looking metal.
Eek, I just looked at the pics! Excuse my insanely dry hands :shock::shock:
IMG_4033.jpg IMG_4034.jpg IMG_4036.jpg IMG_4039.jpg IMG_4054.jpg IMG_4056.jpg IMG_4059.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi lovedogs, I remembered I had some photos from my recent visit to a Niessing store. I thought I would post them for you. There aren't a lot of tension pics on PS, so the more the merrier right!

They are Niessing red gold, in the Lucia setting with a 1.5ct diamond. The width of the setting is about 5.5mm I think and the band that I tried it with is 4.5mm. I liked the oval shape of the arms of the setting as you are looking at the diamond.

I loved this look so much. Just lots of lovely molten looking metal.
Eek, I just looked at the pics! Excuse my insanely dry hands :shock::shock:
IMG_4033.jpg IMG_4034.jpg IMG_4036.jpg IMG_4039.jpg IMG_4054.jpg IMG_4056.jpg IMG_4059.jpg
oooh Angeline! i'm a huge fan of Tension Rings! This is gorgeous! I have always wanted one, but have a hard time on ever committing... as my ring size have changed over the last 5 years. I love semi bezel/bezel and tension/Channel... my first ring I was engaged with was a .40ct Princess HORRIBLE cut and clarity in a faux tension with a bridge (Still have it,, hubby has sentimentality, and honestly, it was the wrong ring anyways that he proposed with...lol) So I still look for Tension ring every now and then, but can't figure out what diamond shape I want to put one in...
Sorry @lovedogs mini threadjack... I love that you brought this up at this time... Keep the pics coming.. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @angeline that is AMAZING!!!! Perfect timing too, because I was actually considering emailing Bruce Boone tonight with pics of your ring and this one (which is a Neissing as well from one of the links shared above by @D&T ), and asking if he could do kind of a hybrid. Because I like how the "arms/bookends" on this one flare out, and I like how the curve from the shank to the bookends isn't so sharp, but I don't want it *this* curved. So something between what you have and the below would be perfect for me.

niessingtension3.JPG
niessingtension2.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! keep this thread updated, I'm really interested in your development:appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emailed him, and we will see what he says! I'm also making sure a 7mm stone will work without making the shank too wide. hooray! I likely can't share any stone pics or details here given the rules, but I'll share progress along the way, and hopefully finished pics without mentioning what the center stone is :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bruce is awesome! Already emailed me back--says it's no problem to find a middle ground between the two angles/styles, and I'll be sending him the stone. Yay!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooohhh you got me thinking for what I wanted to do myself... I love mokume gane inlay (in fact just weeks ago I was about to go with Krikawa but couldnt justify the cost just for the band... and the setting fee).... I bought hubby a cobalt chrome band years ago and love how white and shiny, hypoallergenic and the fact that this material is used inside the body and cost effective... so I asked Bruce what he could come up with Cobalt Chrome and mokume gane :whistle:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results