shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have owned/own tension settings

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooohhh you got me thinking for what I wanted to do myself... I love mokume gane inlay (in fact just weeks ago I was about to go with Krikawa but couldnt justify the cost just for the band... and the setting fee).... I bought hubby a cobalt chrome band years ago... so I asked Bruce what he could come up with Cobalt Chrome and mokume gane :whistle:
omg yay!!! I'm sure he can come up with something great!

PS. how much do people usually size up when getting 6mm thick shank stuff? I'm normally a reliable size 7, but obviously most stuff isn't this thick. @Dancing Fire how much did you size up vs. your regular finger size?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bruce is awesome! Already emailed me back--says it's no problem to find a middle ground between the two angles/styles, and I'll be sending him the stone. Yay!
What stone??? :Up_to_something:. I love BB b/c his settings don't cost an arm and two legs.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.. I'm sticking with my size 5 I'm a loose size five normal 2-3mm shank but when I add a band, i'm up to 6-7 mm width, and it fits well, but since it has an "air gap" I think a size 7 would work? since there is extra room per se....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What stone??? :Up_to_something:. I love BB b/c his settings don't cost an arm and two legs.
Haha can't be mentioned here! Only can be discussed on the fashion jewelry forum bc my budget for stone and setting is around $1200-1500 haha.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg yay!!! I'm sure he can come up with something great!

PS. how much do people usually size up when getting 6mm thick shank stuff? I'm normally a reliable size 7, but obviously most stuff isn't this thick. @Dancing Fire how much did you size up vs. your regular finger size?
My current ring is 8.75 (a good winter size) if I order another setting I'll go up to a size 9 for a better fit in the summer. My current size 8.75 might feel a bit tight come summer time.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BRUCE Was so fast at responding!!!! and so informative... the design I was thinking about is a no go with Cobalt and Mokume inlay... soooo this may change the shape of the stone I was thinking of...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BRUCE Was so fast at responding!!!! and so informative... the design I was thinking about is a no go with Cobalt and Mokume inlay... soooo this may change the shape of the stone I was thinking of...
aww shoot that's too bad! Sorry to hear it. He told me today that he recommends regular titanium vs. the CC for tension sets just FYI. But he's so responsive and nice, and I trust him to always steer us in the right direction. I love mokume! So pretty. Can he do titanium with mokume inlay, or not possible either?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current ring is 8.75 (a good winter size) if I order another setting I'll go up to a size 9 for a better fit in the summer. My current size 8.75 might feel a bit tight come summer time.
Awesome, thank you! I'll either stick with 7 or go 7.25 just to make sure it doesn't feel tight when it gets super hot here.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @angeline that is AMAZING!!!! Perfect timing too, because I was actually considering emailing Bruce Boone tonight with pics of your ring and this one (which is a Neissing as well from one of the links shared above by @D&T ), and asking if he could do kind of a hybrid. Because I like how the "arms/bookends" on this one flare out, and I like how the curve from the shank to the bookends isn't so sharp, but I don't want it *this* curved. So something between what you have and the below would be perfect for me.

niessingtension3.JPG
niessingtension2.JPG
If you can get something between the two, I think it will be awesome :))

I love the Neissing stuff, I just can't afford any of it! lol

I do remember @angeline's lovely ring from the pictures - wasn't it for sale? IIRC I said I would have bought it if I actually had any money :( lol

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can get something between the two, I think it will be awesome :))

I love the Neissing stuff, I just can't afford any of it! lol

I do remember @angeline's lovely ring from the pictures - wasn't it for sale? IIRC I said I would have bought it if I actually had any money :( lol

Have you seen tension setting with the arms curved to follow the stone, like a bezel? Very pretty. By that I mean that the outer and inner shape of the tension (the part you see) is actually curved like a round stone. This is a true bezel, but you can do the same in a tension setting. It depends if you want a straight or curved face of the setting.

upload_2019-3-4_8-54-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-4_8-52-51.png
    upload_2019-3-4_8-52-51.png
    296 KB · Views: 44

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Whoohoo!! That’s me up there! 6th photo! Please pick my brain because I’ve reset my tension FOUR times. Learn from my mistakes.

I actually had some platinum cut away from the top of my ring since I took that photo.

WARNING: tensions eat the stone. My stone is a 2 carat GIA XXX and it does NOT look like a two carat stone in this setting. Part is due to the fact that part of the stone is inside the metal. When I had the mm of the band at 8mm (the width of the Stone) it looked even smaller!

This is my ring before the 2 carat. It was a 1.38carat in a 5mm band.

9046B40A-1ABC-4995-8E15-4062C7FE969D.jpeg

Attachments

• C8AE49DC-6E3F-4C4C-AC9C-7AD2A66A99FC.jpeg
    C8AE49DC-6E3F-4C4C-AC9C-7AD2A66A99FC.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 42

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoohoo!! That’s me up there! 6th photo! Please pick my brain because I’ve reset my tension FOUR times. Learn from my mistakes.

I actually had some platinum cut away from the top of my ring since I took that photo.

WARNING: tensions eat the stone. My stone is a 2 carat GIA XXX and it does NOT look like a two carat stone in this setting. Part is due to the fact that part of the stone is inside the metal. When I had the mm of the band at 8mm (the width of the Stone) it looked even smaller!

This is my ring before the 2 carat. It was a 1.38carat in a 5mm band.

9046B40A-1ABC-4995-8E15-4062C7FE969D.jpeg
Yes, thank you!!! Somehow the smaller stone in the 5mm band doesn't bug me as much. Obviously your current ring is amazing, but I feel like the previous one was really nice too. Hoping that I love mine as much as you love yours!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Menlikediamondstoo @Dancing Fire @angeline what finish should I get on the shank? Here are the options Screenshot_20190305-082959_Chrome.jpg

I'm thinking 'polished' would look best since that gives the look of platinum. DF: is that the finish you got? I like yours a lot!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally speaking I like a 'rough scratched' finish, where new scratches don't show up because they are hidden in the 'pattern' :lol: lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking 'polished' would look best since that gives the look of platinum. DF: is that the finish you got? I like yours a lot!
LD, mine is polished. If/when it gets a lot of scratches I can get it repolished by a local jeweler. Ask Bruce... will there be any problem with repolishing titanium?.

Last edited:

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Whoohoo my turn!

Ok. So I’ve had mine brushed and polished. In both white gold and plat.

If the band is as wide as the stone I recommend anything BUT a high polish. This is because the stone and band are both soo shiny that the stone gets lost.

My plat is high polished (currently)

Right now I’m making a ring with my hexagon diamond and it will be the “cross brush” which I call diamond brush. This finish is AMAZING. I love it because it still shimmers. I had no idea about this finish until recently.

My old ring was a satin finish. I’m not a fan of it but that’s personal preference.

My last lesson was that for a high polish I like plat or white gold. For ANY type of brush, I like 14k white gold. This is because the brushed plat is not as white as the white gold.

Below is a photo of my 2 carat in a wider band (brushed plat) to the right is my old 1.38 in brushed white gold. You can see the white gold is much whiter.

F253D8AF-4966-482F-9EFF-0F9B165655D5.jpeg

Attachments

• 7C557177-BFED-4098-B4B1-8046A8E8A750.jpeg
    7C557177-BFED-4098-B4B1-8046A8E8A750.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
39D7CF88-76BF-4587-A0A7-DD353DA59564.jpeg
Update. I’m not sure which one is the diamond brush in your photo, but this is the finish I am doing for the new ring.

Attachments

• 9F7D734B-73A8-40E8-82F6-98F26F8333F5.jpeg
    9F7D734B-73A8-40E8-82F6-98F26F8333F5.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 47

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on finding a vendor to help bring your vision to fruition. :appl: I give you gals & guys who love tension a lot of props. When I was looking for my 1st e-ring, my then ex wanted & was insisting on a tension. I was freaked out about it & looked at a few so he could get off my case. LMAO I love that you can see the whole stone but the other issue was how wide the ring had to be to safely hold the stone. I have short hands so it wasn't going to happen. If you found that Bruce can shave off some width for you, that's so good!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on finding a vendor to help bring your vision to fruition. :appl: I give you gals & guys who love tension a lot of props. When I was looking for my 1st e-ring, my then ex wanted & was insisting on a tension. I was freaked out about it & looked at a few so he could get off my case. LMAO I love that you can see the whole stone but the other issue was how wide the ring had to be to safely hold the stone. I have short hands so it wasn't going to happen. If you found that Bruce can shave off some width for you, that's so good!
He said he can do 6mm width for a 7mm stone. I have size 7 fingers, so hope it looks ok!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeeek it's already done!? I feel like Bruce must have elves working for him around the clock :)

_DSC0231.JPG

Slightly nervous it's not angled enough (the bookend parts), but he says it's a striking design and that they are angled, so I trust him. Excited to see what I think in real life!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeeek it's already done!? I feel like Bruce must have elves working for him around the clock :)

_DSC0231.JPG

Slightly nervous it's not angled enough (the bookend parts), but he says it's a striking design and that they are angled, so I trust him. Excited to see what I think in real life!
Looks good to me! how many MM?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

_DSC0231.JPG

Nice!

I think that would be the correct size for a right hand ring for me, so if you ever decide to upgrade...

(just getting in early ;)) LOL)

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock

_DSC0231.JPG

It’s gking to be incredible!! The setting really shows of the stone!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results