shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have owned/own tension settings

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it's ok to post this question here vs. SMTB! I've wanted a tension setting forever as an alternative e-ring, and I think this year I'll finally take the plunge. But I am having an impossible time deciding what exact style I want, and whether I want to spend the extra $ for platinum (which would likely mean a 2nd hand abaci setting) vs. going with someone like Bruce Boone.

So the first question is about style. Do I get one with the "bookend" style that sticks up, or one which is flush to the stone? Here are examples of each:

Bookend (from @MikeRato1 and @angeline )

IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg

Untitled-22 copy.jpg

Untitled-24 copy.jpg

Flush (@Dancing Fire and @Menlikediamondstoo)
Front-view-on-picture-jasper.jpg

06D66D6F-9795-4CF2-9664-739C090613F1.jpeg
Front-view-on-lapis.jpg

anyone ever had both styles and can comment on which they preferred? Or anyone have both plat and titanium and can comment on that?

I particularly love how the band is thinner than the diamond on @Menlikediamondstoo , but I think that's only possible bc there's a bar (e.g. not "true" tension set). So sadly I'm assuming that look is impossible to achieve if I want a full tension style.

Attachments

• Untitled-21 copy.jpg
    Untitled-21 copy.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 92

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit, since I thought of something else:
I don't want the sides of the stone to look "flat" like this. No offense meant to anyone who owns one like this, but IMHO it makes the stone look square vs. round, which I don't like. Not sure if that points to one vs. the other of the styles I mentioned though.

0a08b94d4b45355496e1b5aa414cf97b966155e11dbabb1c9b56cc5f935b1d0f.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it's ok to post this question here vs. SMTB! I've wanted a tension setting forever as an alternative e-ring, and I think this year I'll finally take the plunge. But I am having an impossible time deciding what exact style I want, and whether I want to spend the extra $ for platinum (which would likely mean a 2nd hand abaci setting) vs. going with someone like Bruce Boone.
LD
I wouldn't do a PT setting unless you are 100% sure that this is your final stone. A 2nd hand tension will not work, b/c every tension setting is custom made to fit that particular stone. The main reason I chose a cheap $460 Boone setting is in case I do an upgrade in the future or my finger may need to wear a different size ring. Scrapping a $460 setting is much less painful to your wallet than scrapping a $4500 PT setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD
I wouldn't do a PT setting unless you are 100% sure that this is your final stone. A 2nd hand tension will not work, b/c every tension setting is custom made to fit that particular stone. The main reason I chose a cheap $460 Boone setting is in case I do an upgrade in the future or my finger may need to wear a different size ring. Scrapping a $460 setting is much less painful to your wallet than scrapping a $4500 PT setting.
Good point! Since this would be an alternative wedding set, I 100% do not want to spend 4500 on a setting! No way. I was thinking less than $1250 for used, but then realized the ones I have saved on ebay are 14K gold, not PT. Which is why they are so much less expensive. Duh!

Are you happy with your setting from BB? Your stone looks outstanding in the setting!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point! Since this would be an alternative wedding set, I 100% do not want to spend 4500 on a setting! No way. I was thinking less than $1250 for used, but then realized the ones I have saved on ebay are 14K gold, not PT. Which is why they are so much less expensive. Duh!

Are you happy with your setting from BB? Your stone looks outstanding in the setting!
I'm very happy with my $460 Titanium ring from BB, and if I needed a different size ring in the future then I'll lose $460 bucks instead of $4500 for a PT ring.

The tension setting (500 fine Palladium) on my Octavia was made by Abaci and it cost me $2K, then I asked Abaci to make me a smaller size ring, b/c first one was too big and it costed me another $500 bucks, so a total of $2500 down the drain. ;(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I particularly love how the band is thinner than the diamond on @Menlikediamondstoo , but I think that's only possible bc there's a bar (e.g. not "true" tension set). So sadly I'm assuming that look is impossible to achieve if I want a full tension style.
LD
You can talk to BB about it. I think it can be done (I thought about it too) Butttttt here is the problem, b/c with a thinner setting the girdle would be more exposed, less protected, which means a better chance of being chipped. Just something for you to think about. I too would prefer a thinner setting, :errrr: buttttttt...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD
You can talk to BB about it. I think it can be done (I thought about it too) Butttttt here is the problem, b/c with a thinner setting the girdle would be more exposed, less protected, which means a better chance of being chipped. Just something for you to think about. I too would prefer a thinner setting, :errrr: buttttttt...
good point! Decisions, decisions! Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about something like this?
upload_2019-2-25_5-38-40.png

Niessing
upload_2019-2-25_5-41-5.png
Hmmm, that's another good idea! Not sure how I feel about the roundness of the shank itself. Do any PSers have one like that? I feel like I need to see it on someone's hand to know how it would look. Love the scattered diamond version!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing another setting style into the mix to consider: Schaffrath’s Calla. I have seen it in person and it’s amazing! :love:

A090C365-3395-46BF-8DC9-9E1712A1505A.jpeg
That's super pretty, but somehow not quite the style I want. I do agree that it's a great delicate design!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you ignore the head, what do you want the shank to look like? Can you find a ring or band that has the look you want? Maybe start there...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you ignore the head, what do you want the shank to look like? Can you find a ring or band that has the look you want? Maybe start there...
Good point. I've been essentially ignoring the shank bc I wanted to get the head portion "right". Maybe starting with the shank is a better idea. Thanks!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the most beautiful, feminine tension setting I’ve ever seen ❤️

You should see the light show the mirrored inside surfaces facilitates with the diamond sparkle ... it’s really spectacular to see in person! :twisted2:

@lovedogs Even if not that setting, do consider having the inside edges of the tension setting high-polished ... it will really give your eyes something to behold.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to @rockysalamander, I've been looking at what kinds of shanks I like. Sadly for my wallet, they are all pricier options.

I ADORE this one, but wouldn't be able to wear any bands with it, which is a bummer.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

Other ones I love:
thumbnail.asp.jpeg

gelin-abaci-engagement-ring-tr167.jpg

I think this one (below) might be my favorite.
tr-196_grande.jpeg

Gypsy style is awesome!
Unknown.jpeg

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 79
  • image.png
    image.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 81

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD
GA still in business?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD
DF, it’s only money :lol-2:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to @rockysalamander, I've been looking at what kinds of shanks I like. Sadly for my wallet, they are all pricier options.

I ADORE this one, but wouldn't be able to wear any bands with it, which is a bummer.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

Other ones I love:
thumbnail.asp.jpeg

gelin-abaci-engagement-ring-tr167.jpg

I think this one (below) might be my favorite.
tr-196_grande.jpeg

Gypsy style is awesome!
Unknown.jpeg

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you!
Wow, I love those last two!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love those last two!
Thanks! The swirl one is my current favorite, but buying on eBay has it's own issues (e.g. having the jeweler replace the cz with my stone). They say it's doable, but I would be nervous about it.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A bit of a tangent: Why is it called a "tension setting" when it works by compressing the diamond to hold it in place? Tension means pulling or stretching.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit of a tangent: Why is it called a "tension setting" when it works by compressing the diamond to hold it in place? Tension means pulling or stretching.
Yup, The setting could be weaken. I ask a local jeweler to make me a tension setting but he said they can't make one b/c they needed a special equipment to set the stone.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Look at this diagram. The tension force (equal but opposite the gravitational force) actual pushes up on the free body diagram. A diamond is actually pushing against the setting, thus a tension force.
images.png

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
hey I was looking for an inspiration piece, and somehow I ended up on Danhov site, and this wonderful ring came up... So I thought of you!... I have loved tension setting, and tempted several times, but I couldn't justify the cost, which was lucky for me, I didn't go that route since my finger grew in sizes several times over the years. I would go 14K due to the hardness and springiness(sp? ) vs the higher karat weight, I remember having discussion with several jewelers about this type of "tension" otherwise Id do a faux type with a bridge underneath for added security so the diamond just doesn't "pop" out or just insure and enjoy it as is:mrgreen2:
Anyhow they do have other rings as well, but this was unique thought I'd share it!
upload_2019-2-28_11-30-9.png

https://www.danhov.com/engagement-rings/danhov-voltaggio-braided-engagement-ring-v141

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
hey I was looking for an inspiration piece, and somehow I ended up on Danhov site, and this wonderful ring came up... So I thought of you!... I have loved tension setting, and tempted several times, but I couldn't justify the cost, which was lucky for me, I didn't go that route since my finger grew in sizes several times over the years.
Anyhow they do have other rings as well, but this was unique thought I'd share it!
upload_2019-2-28_11-30-9.png

https://www.danhov.com/engagement-rings/danhov-voltaggio-braided-engagement-ring-v141

oooh, so pretty! Thanks for letting me know about this one. It's unique and interesting, but still modern. Not sure it's "me", but it's such a cool take on the style. Thanks again!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha... I totally want one now... not sure how I can justify "another" round diamond :twisted::Up_to_something:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha... I totally want one now... not sure how I can justify "another" round diamond :twisted::Up_to_something:
Yeah, there's a large chance of me putting a "can't talk about it here" stone in it. That's the only way I could ever afford it. Especially since I have loved tension settings for so long.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, there's a large chance of me putting a "can't talk about it here" stone in it. That's the only way I could ever afford it. Especially since I have loved tension settings for so long.

oooh would love to see it if you do! I have wanted one for so long, thought about it for a split second for the champagne diamond... but I wanted just a little more small contrast with white diamonds around...

Looking forward to what you are going to do!...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh would love to see it if you do! I have wanted one for so long, thought about it for a split second for the champagne diamond... but I wanted just a little more small contrast with white diamonds around...

Looking forward to what you are going to do!...

Since you share a love for these settings, hope you don't mind sharing your opinion. I'm totally stuck between 2 options:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

tr-196_grande.jpeg

Pros of 1: diamonds on both the top AND side. Side view is epic.
Cons of 1: can't wear a wedding band, and I wanted to use this as an alternative wedding set.

Pros of 2: Can wear a wedding band. Has this "swirl" on the sides that I think adds fun detail. More "classic" tension style.

I feel like I change my mind between them every 2 seconds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results