carat
color
clarity

Final AVR comparison...2.12 and 2.29 I VS1

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphirering|1366649262|3432226 said:
hi DS, i don't know enough about diamonds to offer anything besides what's been say here. (but if i were you i'd get the bigger one.) but you shouldn't feel guilty about spending the money. you've raised two wonderful daughters and had a long career (you were a teacher if i recall correctly?) please enjoy the fruits of your labor. if this purchase doesn't affect your current lifestyle and you are not dipping into any emergency funds, just go for it!

Thanks so much! I think it isn't so much spending the money as it is that the 2.12 is just a better value, and that is important to me. If the larger one had a lower cost to produce and was a better value per carat on my end than the smaller one, I probably would have chosen it instead. But I really loved the 2.12 before I compared the two just to be certain the cut was as good as the other!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1366649655|3432231 said:
diamondseeker2006|1366649377|3432229 said:
Dreamer_D|1366648104|3432196 said:
DS I slept on it and this morning I think you should get the 2.12. Looks basically the same as the 2.29 but a fair bit less money. Win win.

haha.... I see why this is hard!

I am very lucky my ring plopped in my lap "as is". There were no other options, and there was no angst about a setting. I would still not have a ring if I had to make any of these decisions!!

I am so glad you can relate! :lol: I think that is where I have landed, too. (I replied to your email.)

There is a balance in buying diamonds. Its true the slightly bigger stone might make you feel a weensy bit more giddy, but then on the other hand the smaller one is basically identical and saving that money might also make you feel a little giddy. Or, conversely, spending that extra money might slightly inhibit your enjoyment of the 2.29 -- I have felt that way too when I stretched the budget too far. There is a happy point for me where money spent and value received sort of meet and that is where I can enjoy things most.

+1000 Exactly!!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1366648840|3432215 said:
DS, you don't have to justify your spendings to anyone!

My thoughts exactly! Let's not ruin this thread w/ negativity! Can't wait to see the final result, DS! :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, you certainly don't need to justify your spending. It is your money, your biz and no one else's beeswax!!

I agree with GemFever, you've handled that response very graciously, which speaks volumes as to who you are; and which is why you're so well respected around here. :appl:

(I must admit to being a bit fumed for you too when I read Purplesilk's posts).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Ame, Anna, GemFever, and everyone else who has posted your support and good wishes! I really appreciate it!

My little 17 month old granddaughter is here today and we are playing outside, so I am having to post sporadically today! But I read and appreciate every post!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, something being 'mind clean' means I feel like I got a good value. So I do think the 2.12 is the smarter purchase. But both are great! I think you might feel more comfortable buying the 2.12.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1366651359|3432258 said:
For me, something being 'mind clean' means I feel like I got a good value. So I do think the 2.12 is the smarter purchase. But both are great! I think you might feel more comfortable buying the 2.12.

Thanks, Laila! I am feeling the same way!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
DS, just have to say you are a class act! I can't wait to see what the final decision is. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1366637842|3432087 said:
DS, if the 2.12 is the one that feels right, then, as many of us on this thread have said, you really can't make a mistake because both diamonds are so incredibly beautiful. I'm so looking forward to seeing whichever one you choose set, and on your hand!

I know you are planning to use your Vatche setting with a new head temporarily, and have wanted that Van Craeynest setting for a long time--are there any other settings you would consider in addition?

I forgot to answer the setting question. The only other style I have considered is crown style sort of like the pic below (and others here have antique versions) but I would probably have Victor do a handforged version. I am going to set it in my Vatche setting until I am sure I am keeping this stone for the long haul!!!

143ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ti.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
valmanin|1366655019|3432295 said:
DS, just have to say you are a class act! I can't wait to see what the final decision is. :bigsmile:

What a sweet thing to say! Thanks so much!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1366650269|3432242 said:
ForteKitty|1366648840|3432215 said:
DS, you don't have to justify your spendings to anyone!

My thoughts exactly! Let's not ruin this thread w/ negativity! Can't wait to see the final result, DS! :))

Yikes! Missed this earlier! Thank you, mom2boys! I am glad we are getting together soon, too! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1366650446|3432246 said:
DS, you certainly don't need to justify your spending. It is your money, your biz and no one else's beeswax!!

I agree with GemFever, you've handled that response very graciously, which speaks volumes as to who you are; and which is why you're so well respected around here. :appl:

(I must admit to being a bit fumed for you too when I read Purplesilk's posts).

Sorry I missed this, too, Phoenix! That is what happens when playing outside with a toddler and trying to post at the same time! :lol: You are a sweetheart, Phoenix, and I so appreciate you and all my PS friends! (I knew you could relate to that situation!)

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you made a decision that feels right to you! Even though I was in the 2.29 camp (and only because I thought it was the stone you really wanted), I think your reasoning for choosing the 2.12 is very sound. And, frankly, there is NO wrong choice here. Congrats!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1366657538|3432329 said:
I'm so glad you made a decision that feels right to you! Even though I was in the 2.29 camp (and only because I thought it was the stone you really wanted), I think your reasoning for choosing the 2.12 is very sound. And, frankly, there is NO wrong choice here. Congrats!!

Thanks, Dem! You've been a big help and I appreciate it!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1366404791|3430708 said:
missy|1366404025|3430697 said:
Well, if the money wasn't a factor for you I would choose the 2.29. Both facet patterns are gorgeous and similar but the 2.29 is, to my eye, significantly larger. I see the size difference easily and for me it would be a no brainer. I would rather forgo the french cut band for now DS and get the larger diamond because you are never going to upgrade again (probably) and down the road you can get your french cut band. The AVR is the main attraction and I say go big or go home. :cheeky: Though you really cannot go wrong with either choice but just sharing my honest thoughts with you. I would rather sacrifice getting other jewelry for now in order to get the biggest most beautiful diamond. Good luck with your decision!!!

+1.

cheers--Sharon

+2! I love the 2.29. I'm late though, let me read to the end, you've probably already decided! :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I just wanted to chime in again and say congratulations on choosing a gorgeous diamond!!! :love: You could not go wrong with either choice and you picked the perfect one for you!!! :appl: I am so happy for you and cannot wait till you have it on your ring finger!!!!
A beautiful diamond for a beautiful lady!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I was late, you already made your choice! I think your reasoning makes perfect sense, and if you feel regretful you can always change your mind if the 2.29 is still around. And if not, problem solved! :cheeky:

I cannot wait to see it set! It'll be ready by the Vegas trip, right?!!!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
valmanin said:
DS, just have to say you are a class act!

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. DS you are the epitome of poise! Congratulations on making the perfect choice for you. Can't wait to see how you ultimately set it! Perhaps a Van Craeynest band to keep it company while you decide? :)

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Of course, Diamondseeker can do everything she wants with her money...I think she's wasting money because she won't be satisfied with her purchase:her sweet spot is G color and her next aim is 3 ct...

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Once again, Diamondseeker, I didn't mean to offend you: I was just suggesting to buy a huge cz to temporary satisfy your desire of a large stone and not to waste money on an expensive diamond you don't totally love.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesilk|1366664884|3432384 said:
Once again, Diamondseeker, I didn't mean to offend you: I was just suggesting to buy a huge cz to temporary satisfy your desire of a large stone and not to waste money on an expensive diamond you don't totally love

Of course, Diamondseeker can do everything she wants with her money...I think she's wasting money because she won't be satisfied with her purchase:her sweet spot is G color and her next aim is 3 ct...

Purplesilk, I am not sure why you keep coming to this thread adding nothing but negativity. I cannot believe your posts are for real. You should be coming here to apologize. Not to rationalize your negative posts which reek of jealousy IMO.

DS loves both of the AVR's and was making a decision b/w the 2. When did she ever give the impression she would be happy with a cz??? Diamondseeker started this thread asking for our thoughts on which AVR to choose. Not if she should choose one. Your comments are rude and tasteless. And nasty too IMO. You do it under the guise of caring when it is obvious your posts are anything but. :knockout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesilk|1366663982|3432377 said:

:lol: I have never desired a 3 ct stone other than I will acknowledge that AVR/OEC's (as well as antique cushions) are just magnificent in larger sizes. But they are not for me and my world, unless Forte Kitty, Jonathan, or someone decides to send me one as a gift! Then I will try to force myself to wear it. ;)) If you read my replies, I was uncertain whether I would be comfortable in the 2.29! Not to mention, a 3 ct G VS1 AVR would cost an astronomical amount! :$$):

Actually, since GOG has a 100% upgrade policy, I can switch this diamond at any time. So I certainly won't lose a penny if I change it at some point. In fact, as I may have already mentioned, I made several thousand dollars on the sale of my first diamond bought from Good Old Gold, so I have definitely not lost any money on diamonds!

I prefer G-H color for modern round brilliants, and I would possibly like H color for an AVR. However, the closest I can come to the specs I want is this I color stone, which faces up very white due to the excellent cut. If I wear it for the rest of my life, it will be fine. If 5 years from now Jonathan gets a 2 ct H VS, I may consider it then. But I don't intend to wait around forever for some illusive, perfect stone when there is a perfectly beautiful one available for me today. I have nothing to lose!

(And now that I see Missy's post, she is right that I definitely love both of the stones I had here over the weekend!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy...thank you so much for all of your support and encouragement!

thing2....Thanks!!! And yes, it will go to be set in the Vatche setting later this week! They will make a new head to fit the stone, so it should be ready in plenty of time for Vegas!

ksmom... your gorgeous set is always an inspiration to me! I am kind of torn between VanC and a french cut band! Both would be nice! Thank you so much!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am so happy for you and would have been with either decision. They are both lovely and I can't wait to see it on your finger. You don't have to justify your spending. I don't and couldn't even if I tried. It is your money and you can do what you please just as we don't tell others how to spend their dough. We aren't taking from them and we deserve it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1366666945|3432411 said:
I am so happy for you and would have been with either decision. They are both lovely and I can't wait to see it on your finger. You don't have to justify your spending. I don't and couldn't even if I tried. It is your money and you can do what you please just as we don't tell others how to spend their dough. We aren't taking from them and we deserve it.

Thank you very much, Charmy! (I'll add you, Missy, and some others to my list of those whose magnificent 3+ ct OEC stones I'll happily wear if you send it to me! lol!)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Please don't feel the need to justify yourself to anyone on here, honestly there is no need to!!!! I love both diamonds, they are magnificent, I have been going through a dilemma of sorts myself about buying a AVR vs a larger OEC, so I have been looking at your photos and reading with keen interest.

You have made the perfect choice for you and if you suffer from DSS, I know that Jon is currently trying to cut some more bigger AVRs so if you want to upgrade somewhere down the track you still have numerous options. Having said that, once you get that puppy on your hand you will probably never want to part with it - it is beautiful, and an amazing choice!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1366670130|3432446 said:
Hi,

Please don't feel the need to justify yourself to anyone on here, honestly there is no need to!!!! I love both diamonds, they are magnificent, I have been going through a dilemma of sorts myself about buying a AVR vs a larger OEC, so I have been looking at your photos and reading with keen interest.

You have made the perfect choice for you and if you suffer from DSS, I know that Jon is currently trying to cut some more bigger AVRs so if you want to upgrade somewhere down the track you still have numerous options. Having said that, once you get that puppy on your hand you will probably never want to part with it - it is beautiful, and an amazing choice!!!!

Thanks, arkie! Jon did mention he was cutting some larger stones! I'd love to see them! Good luck in your search for both OEC's and AVR's!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all of Jon's fault .I hope he feels guilty:!: ... :lol:
btw;congrats DS.. :love: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1366671437|3432458 said:
This is all of Jon's fault .I hope he feels guilty:!: ... :lol:
btw;congrats DS.. :love: :appl: :appl:

Yep, all his fault! :lol: ;))

Thanks DF!!!!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
DS- I know I've been like the biggest fan of the 2.29, but it's just because when everything else is the same, I always go for the bigger especially in diamonds!!! The 2.12 is also beautiful and it fits YOUR criteria. All that matters is that you're in love with your stone. You are going to be the one to wear it! I'm happy for you and can't wait to see your new beauty in your hands for good!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results