Final AVR comparison...2.12 and 2.29 I VS1

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.29. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate everyone's comments!!!! Thank you! I'd like to reply to everyone by name, but this has been the craziest week which included jury duty, and I am trying to catch up on a million things!

Well, I took the diamonds on an outing today and showed them to my older daughter (27) who was sitting outside watching her baby play in the sandbox (great lighting, in other words). Below are some of her comments:

Her: Those are HUGE!!! I mean really HUGE! They look like they are over 2 cts or something!!! (Me: They ARE over 2 cts)

Her: They are huge! :-o No one around here wears diamonds that big! I thought you thought your 1.6 ct diamond was too big????? (Me: well that was awhile back)

Me: Do you like one better than the other?

Her: No, they look exactly the same!!! Maybe one is a little bigger than the other? I can't tell them apart. They look just alike. They are HUGE!!! Maybe that one looks a little brighter or something (2.12), but I don't know. I think they look the same!

Me: Well maybe you'd like it if I left it to you.

Her: Yes, and I'd use it to pay for C's college! (her 17 month old)

Me: In that case, I will leave it to your sister! haha!

Sooo..I don't know. I don't care to stand out and garner attention with a larger than normal diamond ring. She and my husband could hardly detect the size difference. So I am back to being uncertain that it is worth paying for the larger one. Plus I'd be less broke. Of course, in her eyes, I probably should back up and buy the 1.7 ct Jon is currently cutting. But y'all would likely kick me out of PS if I did that!!! :lol:

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1366503438|3431313 said:
I appreciate everyone's comments!!!! Thank you! I'd like to reply to everyone by name, but this has been the craziest week which included jury duty, and I am trying to catch up on a million things!

Well, I took the diamonds on an outing today and showed them to my older daughter (27) who was sitting outside watching her baby play in the sandbox (great lighting, in other words). Below are some of her comments:

Her: Those are HUGE!!! I mean really HUGE! They look like they are over 2 cts or something!!! (Me: They ARE over 2 cts)

Her: They are huge! :-o No one around here wears diamonds that big! I thought you thought your 1.6 ct diamond was too big????? (Me: well that was awhile back)

Me: Do you like one better than the other?

Her: No, they look exactly the same!!! Maybe one is a little bigger than the other? I can't tell them apart. They look just alike. They are HUGE!!! Maybe that one looks a little brighter or something (2.12), but I don't know. I think they look the same!

Me: Well maybe you'd like it if I left it to you.

Her: Yes, and I'd use it to pay for C's college! (her 17 month old)

Me: In that case, I will leave it to your sister! haha!

Sooo..I don't know. I don't care to stand out and garner attention with a larger than normal diamond ring. She and my husband could hardly detect the size difference. So I am back to being uncertain that it is worth paying for the larger one. Plus I'd be less broke. Of course, in her eyes, I probably should back up and buy the 1.7 ct Jon is currently cutting. But y'all would likely kick me out of PS if I did that!!! :lol:

Honestly, I'm not surprised you got that kind of response from someone who isn't into diamonds and diamond minutiae. My guess is 99.9% of the population wouldn't be able to tell these diamonds apart aside from the size difference. But, for the rest of us, it's the seemingly insignificant details that mean so much and can be the difference between mere satisfaction and elation! Sometimes I think the opinion of others can be helpful in narrowing down what we want and sometimes I think they can muddy the waters. You were very clear earlier that the 2.29 was the stone you would choose if money were no object. Has that changed because of something you're seeing in the diamond itself or because you are worried about what people will think if you have such a large stone?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Demelza: aside from your husband, I'm not sure that anyone else's opinion is going to be helpful, especially a daughter who is clearly not into the (ahem) nuts and bolts of diamonds. I received a similar response from both my daughters with my AVR. After all, no one needs a diamond. You buy it for the pleasure it brings you, not to please other people, and not for their approval.

I think it comes back to the same point: what do you want to do?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
About fifteen years ago, my mother bought a grand piano. She justified the 20k cost with the idea that I would inherit it, someday, and either learn to play or teach my offspring.

This will not be happening - I'm not musical, and if my kids are, what with NYC apts and all, they'll be playing electric pianos. So that damned thing is an albatross around my neck waiting to happen, and I do not even care. Why?

Why is this even relevant, for that matter? Because it's brought my mother fifteen years worth of pleasure that she couldn't justify for herself alone, and that makes it worth every penny that came out of my "inheritance" (I do not believe in this concept) and worth every bit of effort it may take to someday rehome the damned thing.

DS, I love french cuts. Obsessively. You know. But ... since you're not looking secondhand (though, happy to help if you choose to!), there's no hurry on that. The 5k bands will still be there for the anniversary after this one. In the meantime?

Personally, I love the 2.29. I could spot it in each pic - I don't know why, but it looked an eensy bit brighter and more colorful (probably those big facets). It sounds like you love it, it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing ... I say, get it. People who love you will love it, too (even if they don't get it) when they are how much pleasure it brings you.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Demezla and Aiofe -- don't listen to the opinion of people who don't care about diamonds when making decisions about diamonds. The diamond will be making *you* happy, not them. Diamonds are a luxury item and don't fit into the category of rational thinking/spending in the first place, so if you're taking the step of upgrading at all, take it all the way. Pick the one that will make you the happiest, and for the longest amount of time. Take your daughter's good advice when it comes to something else ;)) You are the diamond connoisseur in the family!

I haven't posted because I can't pick between the two AVRs. Both are beautiful. You really can't go wrong with either one!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think sometimes I forget that my PS world is not my real world! :lol:

Dem, I don't know! I loved the 2.12 until I saw the 2.29 and thought, hey, these things are better the bigger they are! I still love the 2.12. As has been confirmed by my family, it looks the same as the 2.29 other than the slight difference in size!

Aoife...I really asked for that response because I knew her reactions to earlier stones! But these are sooo different and beautiful! She said this and I left it out, but she loves settings and said that she hoped I would set it in a beautiful antique setting. I told her I'd try, but not right away. I did talk to VanC about the setting I have wanted for a long time, but I also want a french cut band, and I am not sure which way to go. I do not think they'd work together. I just can't rush the setting decision when I am still trying to decide on a diamond!!

Circe...well, at least a diamond is easier to store than a grand piano!!! My 27 year old does play, so she might like that better! But a grand would never fit in her current little house! Yes, you are the french cut queen around here and I soooo want to have just one!!! I figured I'd go new with a new diamond and let them all age at the same time! The 2.29 is beautiful, but I am just uncertain if the extra cost is worth it. I have to decide by Tuesday when the stones arrive back at GOG, I guess!

GemFever...glad you like them both! That is the great thing, both are really nice and that is what makes the choice hard!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Touche!!! Circe

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Touche!!! Circe I agree.....My family thinks I'm nuts for upgrading my studs four times and they don't want to hear about them ever again that is until they fight over them when I''m dead; Pick which ever will make you and your husband happy. After all he will be there watching you giggle over it every time you look at your hand

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money is really not an issue, go for the bigger one. I think you will regret not picking that one as your heart seems set on it even If you don't really know it right now. You'll always say, "oh, gee I wish I had kept the larger one." I doubt you'll say, " gee I wish it was smaller." Never knew any woman to say that about her diamond...lol happy picking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1366508541|3431361 said:
Touche!!! Circe

Heidi, I didn't reply on the other page, but I envy your petite size as I am sure your diamond looks HUGE!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Go with the one that you know you will never look back and wish you had chosen it...IMO...the 2.29. You will NEVER regret picking that one. Your comments on how much more distinct the faceting is in the larger stone and that is why we love these so much. Everyone should have this problem...LOL!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
DSS set in for me in just one week so nothing is too big! $5k is a lot for that little diff though, especially when the "smaller" one is already a top performer. I'd rather spend it towards an eternity ring or holiday or handbag, but thats just me :D

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
The lovely Dreamer is out of town, but we've been in contact via text and this is what she has to say:

"I would 100% pay more for a stone cut by Yoram. That is a bit of knowledge that would mean a lot to me as a cut nut. It is almost as cool as a true antique ;-) and it's bigger! Who cares what your daughter will do with it? You may not even have it in 40 years or your daughter will change her mind. Be happy now!"

Good advice, I say!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1366513948|3431441 said:
The lovely Dreamer is out of town, but we've been in contact via text and this is what she has to say:

"I would 100% pay more for a stone cut by Yoram. That is a bit of knowledge that would mean a lot to me as a cut nut. It is almost as cool as a true antique ;-) and it's bigger! Who cares what your daughter will do with it? You may not even have it in 40 years or your daughter will change her mind. Be happy now!"

Good advice, I say!!

Thanks so much Dem!!! :appl: I was so hoping Dreamer would chime in! Not sure I will be around in 40 years :lol: , but I do get the point! I am glad a few people "get"the appeal of having a stone cut by Yoram! Please text her back for me and tell her I said "thanks!!!". I hope she might be back and be able to see all the pictures before I have to really decide!

This is really funny but this thread is reminiscent of the one I started when I first came here to decide between the 1.37 and 1.63 H&A! I was SO afraid of that 1.6 being too big! I worried about it even after I had it. My husband actually picked the larger one that time!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I am late to this thread but wanted to chime in and say YAY, they're both beautiful!! :love: :love: :love: You can't go wrong either way.

However, the larger one looks a smidgen brighter to me, the petals and the pastels seem more pronounced. Tell me, how do they look like from the side, is one whiter than the other? I know you're usually quite colour-sensitive and although you've said that you don't mind/ like the I colour in antique (cut) stones, I wonder though if one wouldn't be whiter than the other?

Anyway, I think you know deep in your heart, you'd regret it later if you didn't get the larger one, he he!! :naughty: :devil: :lol:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
(Hi Phoenix! I've missed your great comments around here lately!)

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
They are both very beautiful stones!! I prefer the 2.29 as well, but you can't go wrong with either of those beauties. :love:

Good luck with your decision, DS!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1366551727|3431589 said:
DS, I am late to this thread but wanted to chime in and say YAY, they're both beautiful!! :love: :love: :love: You can't go wrong either way.

However, the larger one looks a smidgen brighter to me, the petals and the pastels seem more pronounced. Tell me, how do they look like from the side, is one whiter than the other? I know you're usually quite colour-sensitive and although you've said that you don't mind/ like the I colour in antique (cut) stones, I wonder though if one wouldn't be whiter than the other?

Anyway, I think you know deep in your heart, you'd regret it later if you didn't get the larger one, he he!! :naughty: :devil: :lol:

SO glad you saw this, Phoenix!!!! I truly have tried and tried to see if one was higher color than the other, because that would make a difference to me. I'd rather have H color, but these at least are true I color and not lower. I just took them outside in the last hour to check color against a white background and just couldn't detect a difference. Face up in natural light, they are totally white face-up. In more yellowish indoor lighting, you can see a little tint.

As far as the decision goes, I will have some regrets either way. From a financial standpoint, I HATE paying premium retail prices for anything (I buy designer purses when I can get a discount, for example), and the price per carat is a good bit more on the larger stone. Just on principle, I feel better about the price on the 2.12. If they were the exact same price per carat and I was just paying a little more for the 2.29, then this would be easier. But I will be sad to not have a DiaGem cut stone if I pass on the 2.29. But at least I love them both and can be happy with either. I did this to myself so no one else is to blame! I admit that I overanalyze!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again for all of you who are taking the time to reply! I am taking in all your opinions! Not much time left if I send them back tomorrow!!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to hear which one you chose and how you set it. Living vicariously through you :)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I previously said I liked the 2.12 ct but I am changing my vote. It seems like you prefer the 2.29 for the larger facets and for the cutter of that stone. $5k is a lot of money but if your DH ok's it and you can afford it, then I say go for it! You may regret it later if you don't get the 2.29 ct now.

I know what it's like to be indecisive, especially when its such a big chunk of money. Maybe step away from the decision for an hour or two and when you come back to it, the answer may be much clearer. Good luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I said before that I prefer the 2.29ct... and I still do, but my opinion is based 100% on the pics, which of course are magnified and not representative of real life perception.

But I am reading over and over again that you truly cannot see a difference in performance or in color, and that to your eyes you basically do not detect a size difference between the two... now I wonder if you should indeed purchase the 2.12ct and save that $5K - I think I read where you also hope to buy an AVC one day, so that can be your chance to buy a DiaGem stone - and the $5K savings can go to your french cut band or start the bling budget for a future DiaGem-cut AVC.

To help you finalize your decision, have you done the test where you imagine you've chosen your diamond and returned the other... now think what your reaction/feeling would be if you actually saw the diamond you returned set in your dream setting but on a stranger's finger?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it is hard because the difference is more than $5k. I don't want to say the exact amount because Jon had lowered the price of the larger one on the site after I got the 2.12, so I don't know how it will be priced if I return it. The 2.29 is a good bit more per carat than the 2.12. Whereas these sizes in a round brilliant would not have such a huge difference in price per carat. Just to help you understand the dilemma, I could get a H&A AGS000 2.38 ct, H VS1 stone for the price of the 2.29. Except I don't want a H&A stone.

marymm...No, I really cannot see a difference other than one stone is a little larger than the other. The sun just came out and I am looking at them as much as possible in natural light to see if there is anything else that favors one over the other. I guess it wouldn't happen that I'd envy seeing the smaller one on someone else since I'd have the larger one. But if someone else bought the larger one, I would probably think...I had the chance to have that. But whether it would make me have regrets depends on whether I would be comfortable with that size stone in my world, and I am not sure. Just a few weeks ago, I told Jon my max was around 8mm, and the 2.12 is 8.15mm and the 2.29 is 8.4mm!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes the things we treasure most just cannot be decided by dollars and cents. Because you are a careful shopper in other areas, I'm sure this has afforded you extra money to buy other things that you like. We humans are funny - we would consider spending thousands of dollars on a diamond that does nothing but sit there and look beautiful yet would drive two miles out of our way to save a dollar on a jar of jelly!

With so many things here being equal - except for the money - I'd try my very best to take the money out of the equation. Doesn't mean it's not very important and that it might very well affect future jewelry purchases. Just means that on this one item - this very special stone that you have waited a very long time for - I would choose based on what I wanted. Not how much it costs - just choose the stone you really want to wear for the rest of your life. The money will work out in the end. Don't worry right now about the setting or what band you would like. It's when we get too far ahead of ourselves that the picture gets murky and we lose our way.

Just focus on this one decision right now and worry about the other puzzle pieces later. You know we're all going to be delighted for you no matter which stone you choose. You've come a long way in your thinking in terms of size and color so don't let your mind be boxed in by the 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' syndrome. Buy for yourself and choose to make yourself happy - hugs!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR...I had written the post below and when I clicked SUBMIT, your post was there! So I am adding a note to you before my post. You are such a good friend and always give me such great advice! {{{{hugs}}}} back! I think what I wrote below still makes sense if you disregard the part on pricing which I had already written. It is hard for me to totally put that part aside.

At this moment, I am leaning towards keeping the 2.12 for these reasons:

1) On my other thread, every single person including all the experienced OEC buyers loved the 2.12 stone. Some of them still prefer it over the 2.29. My family could not tell any difference in performance between the two stones, and neither could I. That was my main concern when I asked to compare the second stone.

2) I am comfortable with the size increase to the 2.12, 8.15mm stone, but I am not 100% sure I'd be comfortable wearing larger than that in my real world (aside from my PS friends, of course!). I do love the 2.29 just to look at, though!

3) I have a lifetime to trade up if I desire a larger size, color, style of diamond later on with the 2.12, but getting the 2.29 and trading down to a smaller size means a higher color, and those are not readily accessible in the exact color, clarity, and size you want at the time. (But until that 2.29 stone sells, I could change to it at any time, but I could not take the 2.29 and change back to the 2.12 after 30 days.)

4) If the price per carat was close to the same for the two stones, this would be a harder decision as then I would just be dealing with the question of the larger size issue. But I just haven't been able to wrap my head around the pricing difference even though it would be a real privilege to own a stone cut buy DiaGem.

Of course, aside from all this logic, I do also love the 2.29. This is a good reason for me to set the stone I keep in my current setting until I am 110% sure I have the final stone. I really, really want it to be the final round e-ring stone, seriously!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I will say that when I get my nails done they always say something.... I always giggle lol... Funny though since i have had my new earrings not one person has said anything outside of friends and family. I think so many people wear fakes that people don't notice.

I just reread your most recent post. All very sound reasons. Back to basics and be happy with the gorgous 2.12.....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your choice! It is a beautiful stone and I hope it will bring you lots of enjoyment!

One last piece of unsolicited advice: send the stones back, have the 2.12 set and enjoy it! Don't look back with doubt - just accept the choice made on what you feel are sound reasons and let the rest go. The upgrade bug is always out there for any of us but constantly thinking or worrying about it steals the thunder from what we currently have to enjoy.

Can't wait to see your new stone set and on your hand!! :appl:

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1366594976|3431889 said:
Congratulations on your choice! It is a beautiful stone and I hope it will bring you lots of enjoyment!

One last piece of unsolicited advice: send the stones back, have the 2.12 set and enjoy it! Don't look back with doubt - just accept the choice made on what you feel are sound reasons and let the rest go. The upgrade bug is always out there for any of us but constantly thinking or worrying about it steals the thunder from what we currently have to enjoy.

Can't wait to see your new stone set and on your hand!! :appl:

Wonderful words of wisdom! Congratulations, DS!!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
They don't call you Diamondseeker for nothing :D Beautiful, and enjoy!

P.S. Miss GotRocks, you are so wise and wonderful :saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results