shape
carat
color
clarity

Female Mccain''s VP pick

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of very well qualified people in any aspect of the working world, that do not have ivy league degrees, and are the best at what they do. Heck, there are high school dropouts that have become incredibely successful! Not saying I''d want a hs dropout running for prez....but, just making a point.
2.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 5:41:25 PM
Author: joflier
There are a lot of very well qualified people in any aspect of the working world, that do not have ivy league degrees, and are the best at what they do. Heck, there are high school dropouts that have become incredibely successful! Not saying I''d want a hs dropout running for prez....but, just making a point.
2.gif

It''s an important point. For example..Bill Gates?
6.gif

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 5:35:10 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Date: 9/18/2008 3:39:23 PM

Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 9/18/2008 3:17:36 PM

Author: thing2of2

How does fine soldier automatically equal president, though?

It doesn''t, just like a fine lawyer doesn''t equal president; although I haven''t read any cases that Obama or Biden argued... I just mentioned McCain being a fine soldier because his class rank was irrelevant to performance.

ETA: There''s formal education & then there''s education through experience. I wouldn''t discount either one, but I don''t think graduation from Harvard & Syracuse necessarily makes anyone better fit to be President than someone who graduated from the Naval Academy. Just a difference in opinion; I don''t think anyone in this election could qualify as poorly educated, be it through their schooling or life experiences. Also, plagarism is a HUGE deal, it''s pretty much stealing & it''s a character flaw, especially when one doesn''t learn from it & repeats it. (Not saying EVERY other candidate doesn''t have flaws, just saying this one is more than a ''bad thing''.)

Exactly. The Mac openly admits he was a wild thing during his young days and got reeled in by going off to war. Just like college experiences shaped Obama and maybe Biden (hopefully at least
20.gif
) McCain''s experiences as a soldier shaped him. So since that''s settled how about we go back to the topic at hand?
2.gif

I might actually agree with this except for the fact that he came back from war, continued partying, had several affairs, and finally left his disfigured wife for the rich heiress.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:01:09 PM
Author: thumbelina

It doesn''t, just like a fine lawyer doesn''t equal president; although I haven''t read any cases that Obama or Biden argued... I just mentioned McCain being a fine soldier because his class rank was irrelevant to performance.

ETA: There''s formal education & then there''s education through experience. I wouldn''t discount either one, but I don''t think graduation from Harvard & Syracuse necessarily makes anyone better fit to be President than someone who graduated from the Naval Academy. Just a difference in opinion; I don''t think anyone in this election could qualify as poorly educated, be it through their schooling or life experiences. Also, plagarism is a HUGE deal, it''s pretty much stealing & it''s a character flaw, especially when one doesn''t learn from it & repeats it. (Not saying EVERY other candidate doesn''t have flaws, just saying this one is more than a ''bad thing''.)

Exactly. The Mac openly admits he was a wild thing during his young days and got reeled in by going off to war. Just like college experiences shaped Obama and maybe Biden (hopefully at least
20.gif
) McCain''s experiences as a soldier shaped him. So since that''s settled how about we go back to the topic at hand?
2.gif

I might actually agree with this except for the fact that he came back from war, continued partying, had several affairs, and finally left his disfigured wife for the rich heiress.

So character flaws matter when we''re talking about the Mac, but not about Biden?

Erin

Ideal_Rock

20.gif
2.gif

Keating Scandal?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:02:57 PM
Author: Starset Princess

It doesn't, just like a fine lawyer doesn't equal president; although I haven't read any cases that Obama or Biden argued... I just mentioned McCain being a fine soldier because his class rank was irrelevant to performance.

ETA: There's formal education & then there's education through experience. I wouldn't discount either one, but I don't think graduation from Harvard & Syracuse necessarily makes anyone better fit to be President than someone who graduated from the Naval Academy. Just a difference in opinion; I don't think anyone in this election could qualify as poorly educated, be it through their schooling or life experiences. Also, plagarism is a HUGE deal, it's pretty much stealing & it's a character flaw, especially when one doesn't learn from it & repeats it. (Not saying EVERY other candidate doesn't have flaws, just saying this one is more than a 'bad thing'.)

20.gif
) McCain's experiences as a soldier shaped him. So since that's settled how about we go back to the topic at hand?
2.gif

Keating Scandal?

Let's not go there.

ETA: Not to mention he was cleared of impropriety. He was criticized for having poor judgment, but I guess Obama had perfect judgment in choice of friends.
5.gif
Or the what was it 6 times he hit the "wrong button" when he was in the state senate?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obamavotes24jan24,1,7079399.story So what if those buttons were buttons to nuke countries? That's if we had any nukes left.

Let's get back on topic.

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:02:40 PM

20.gif
2.gif

So character flaws matter when we''re talking about the Mac, but not about Biden?

I didn''t actually say that... but based on my value system, plagiarism is less offensive than the betrayal of one''s family. But that''s just me. And honestly, when I compare Biden''s act of plagiarism (assuming for the sake of argument that he did), to the way he raised his two sons after the death of his first wife and daughter, that he commuted 200 miles each day so that he could be home with them at night... well, that just shows a commitment to his family that I find very admirable. Again, that''s based on my value system. I recognize ours all differ.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:17:13 PM
Date: 9/18/2008 6:02:40 PM

20.gif
2.gif

I didn''t actually say that... but based on my value system, plagiarism is less offensive than the betrayal of one''s family. But that''s just me. And honestly, when I compare Biden''s act of plagiarism (assuming for the sake of argument that he did), to the way he raised his two sons after the death of his first wife and daughter, that he commuted 200 miles each day so that he could be home with them at night... well, that just shows a commitment to his family that I find very admirable. Again, that''s based on my value system. I recognize ours all differ.

You''re right, they do. However, just like Biden''s cheating on something doesn''t disqualify him to you, McCain''s family issues don''t disqualify him for me even though I do not approve of his action. As for Biden cheating, here''s the link, there''s no "if" about it..he''s admitted it. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DB143FF93BA2575AC0A961948260

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
cheating in school = bad
cheating on your family = worse

thanks for the article... i''ll give it a read

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 5:32:03 PM
Date: 9/18/2008 2:38:17 PM

Author: MoonWater

Ooh, we can get access to this stuff? I would like to see George W. Bush''s transcripts please!!

At least we had George''s GPA. But ohhhh he went to Yale, so he was qualified, right?
2.gif
Yes, let''s put it alllll on what school you got into and how you did. That sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Looks like I am heading for the top!!
6.gif
36.gif

He was a Legacy kid and daddy was rich (dare I mention race). I think it''s harder to get into Yale without those two things. You may actually need, *gasp* smarts.

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:52:50 PM

Ooh, we can get access to this stuff? I would like to see George W. Bush''s transcripts please!!

At least we had George''s GPA. But ohhhh he went to Yale, so he was qualified, right?
2.gif
Yes, let''s put it alllll on what school you got into and how you did. That sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Looks like I am heading for the top!!
6.gif
36.gif

He was a Legacy kid and daddy was rich (dare I mention race). I think it''s harder to get into Yale without those two things. You may actually need, *gasp* smarts.

Oh, MoonWater -- Stop misunderestmating Bush... it''s not nice.
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:24:24 PM
cheating in school = bad

cheating on your family = worse

Ditto! Is there really a question as to whether cheating on your family is worse than cheating in school? Wowie kazowie.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''ve missed it, but why are you so conservative, Sarah<3JS? Is it just that your family is conservative and you''re following in their footsteps? Do you have religious reasons to support Republican policies, like being anti-abortion? Do you have a lot of assets to protect so you like Republicans for their fiscal policies? I''m just very interested in learning why a young woman would be so rabidly conservative. Obviously feel free to ignore this if you don''t feel like answering.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
More truly scary Palin stuff.

Now, I''m no Biden fan, but I figure Obama has a pretty slim chance of dropping dead or being otherwise incapacitated. Reagan did not lead for much of his second term, the dementia was too advanced.

Which gets me to this quote from the below article: "Sarah was unprepared to be mayor -- it was John Cramer who actually ran the city," said Michelle Church, a member of the Mat-Su Borough Assembly, who knows Palin socially. "As vice-president she''ll certainly have to rely on faceless advisors with no public accountability. Haven''t we had enough of that in the past eight years?"

link

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:22:19 PM

You're right, they do. However, just like Biden's cheating on something doesn't disqualify him to you, McCain's family issues don't disqualify him for me even though I do not approve of his action. As for Biden cheating, here's the link, there's no 'if' about it..he's admitted it. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DB143FF93BA2575AC0A961948260
I think they were both improper, but bad husband doesn't = bad president (look at CLINTON) & bad student doesn't = bad VP. It's just mistakes in people's past that they have to own. McCain has never denied being a bad husband once he came back from the war (I don't think Biden denied anything either) & has now been with Cindy for 28 years. I venture to guess there are some PSers in that same situation, who knows? NO, it's not an admirable thing & I am definitely not making excuses for it's ickiness, but that doesn't discount him as being President in my views. The only reason I emphasized the plagarism point was because someone posted about Biden's education. At MY law school if you plagarize then you are suspended no questions asked once proven, so it tarnishes his education credentials to me. I don't think it's worse than leaving your wife for another woman, but it was relevant to the education aspect.

ETA: Although I think good discussion about specific issues would ideally be backed up by some facts, I don't think we need to start making people define/defend their general poltiical views. There are many more liberals around here than conservatives & there are even more people who are "tweeners." Asking someone why they are "rabidly" one way or the other isn't conducive to discussion & really doesn't matter...people are who they are.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 8:37:10 PM
Maybe I''ve missed it, but why are you so conservative, Sarah<3JS? Is it just that your family is conservative and you''re following in their footsteps? Do you have religious reasons to support Republican policies, like being anti-abortion? Do you have a lot of assets to protect so you like Republicans for their fiscal policies? I''m just very interested in learning why a young woman would be so rabidly conservative. Obviously feel free to ignore this if you don''t feel like answering.

Well. I''m going to pull myself from this thread until it can get back to a productive environment about the topic at hand. Here''s the remainder of what I have to say and why I''m leaving:

1. Who are you to try to force me to defend my political views? Have I ever asked you or anyone else here to do that? If you had paid more attention you would have noticed that on more than one occasion I''ve stated that I am pro-choice. So clearly with your what I consider rather condescending questions you are stereotyping me into what you consider your typical "rabid conservative." You know nothing about me or my family or my money, etc. I guess that''s why you''ll say you asked, but even though it''s none of your business I''ll give you a tiny tidbit. Economically? My family worked very hard for what we have and continue to do so and I am not about to give it away to someone who did not do the same. I don''t have a problem with taxes for the general good/important social welfare programs, but I do have a problem with income redistribution. Ideologically? NO one tells me what to do or what to believe (this includes my family). I researched things myself, did soul-searching, and came to my own conclusions. There are even some things that the jury is still out on for me. Am I religious? Well, that''s not really allowed on PS either, but I consider myself to be spiritual rather than religious. I don''t consider myself to be a "rabid" conservative. I''m a moderate that leans right (believe it or not), but I do not, will not, and have never supported Obama. Let''s just say we have many ideological differences. I don''t agree with 100% of what John McCain or Sarah Palin believe and do, but I''m a whole heck of a lot more in line with them than with Obama. So much to the surprise of some Democrats out there . . . there is at least one young, "educated" white-female voting for McCain in a battle-ground state.

2. We''ve passed the point of fruitful exchange of ideas and/or facts about Palin. Apparently now this thread is dedicated to me and my political views..I feel special!

3. I feel at this point as if I am being personally attacked. Since I have always been respectful to people on PS (and apologized if I ever even got slightly snarky or realized a comment looked snarky later) I don''t feel like I should put up with not being awarded the same respect.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 2:14:32 AM
Date: 9/18/2008 8:37:10 PM

Maybe I've missed it, but why are you so conservative, Sarah<3JS? Is it just that your family is conservative and you're following in their footsteps? Do you have religious reasons to support Republican policies, like being anti-abortion? Do you have a lot of assets to protect so you like Republicans for their fiscal policies? I'm just very interested in learning why a young woman would be so rabidly conservative. Obviously feel free to ignore this if you don't feel like answering.

Well. I'm going to pull myself from this thread until it can get back to a productive environment about the topic at hand. Here's the remainder of what I have to say and why I'm leaving:

1. Who are you to try to force me to defend my political views? Have I ever asked you or anyone else here to do that? If you had paid more attention you would have noticed that on more than one occasion I've stated that I am pro-choice. So clearly with your what I consider rather condescending questions you are stereotyping me into what you consider your typical 'rabid conservative.' You know nothing about me or my family or my money, etc. I guess that's why you'll say you asked, but even though it's none of your business I'll give you a tiny tidbit. Economically? My family worked very hard for what we have and continue to do so and I am not about to give it away to someone who did not do the same. I don't have a problem with taxes for the general good/important social welfare programs, but I do have a problem with income redistribution. Ideologically? NO one tells me what to do or what to believe (this includes my family). I researched things myself, did soul-searching, and came to my own conclusions. There are even some things that the jury is still out on for me. Am I religious? Well, that's not really allowed on PS either, but I consider myself to be spiritual rather than religious. I don't consider myself to be a 'rabid' conservative. I'm a moderate that leans right (believe it or not), but I do not, will not, and have never supported Obama. Let's just say we have many ideological differences. I don't agree with 100% of what John McCain or Sarah Palin believe and do, but I'm a whole heck of a lot more in line with them than with Obama. So much to the surprise of some Democrats out there . . . there is at least one young, 'educated' white-female voting for McCain in a battle-ground state.

2. We've passed the point of fruitful exchange of ideas and/or facts about Palin. Apparently now this thread is dedicated to me and my political views..I feel special!

3. I feel at this point as if I am being personally attacked. Since I have always been respectful to people on PS (and apologized if I ever even got slightly snarky or realized a comment looked snarky later) I don't feel like I should put up with not being awarded the same respect.

Goodness! I certainly wasn't attacking you or asking you to defend anything. I was genuinely curious. Did you not see the "Obviously feel free to ignore this if you don't feel like answering"?

ETA that you or anyone else can feel free to ask me about how I came to my political views.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 2:14:32 AM

2. We''ve passed the point of fruitful exchange of ideas and/or facts about Palin. Apparently now this thread is dedicated to me and my political views..I feel special!
I completely disagree.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
When you work in certain positions and environments you cannot use personal email to discuss business matters. Doing so could cost you your job. I am in the medical profession and this would be a violation of privacy and confidentiality. Why Gov. Palin felt this was an appropriate method of communication leaves me wondering about her grasp on some of the basics of being in public office. That said, it doesn''t excuse the behavior of the hackers. If someone hacks into my accounts, I hope my internet service provider will take it as seriously as they are taking Palin''s.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:04:17 PM
Author: risingsun
When you work in certain positions and environments you cannot use personal email to discuss business matters. Doing so could cost you your job. I am in the medical profession and this would be a violation of privacy and confidentiality. Why Gov. Palin felt this was an appropriate method of communication leaves me wondering about her grasp on some of the basics of being in public office. That said, it doesn''t excuse the behavior of the hackers. If someone hacks into my accounts, I hope my internet service provider will take it as seriously as they are taking Palin''s.
Was there any story about her using her personal email to conduct government matters? I''m not doubting you, I just wanted to read the story because I haven''t seen one purporting this fact.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
There are been a number of articles that have mentioned this practice. I'll cite one, but can't vouch for the source:
http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/526281.html I am truly not wanting to enter a debate about Palin, but I will drop in with an occasional opinion. This thread takes a great deal of fortitude. I have to save that for my "day" job
17.gif

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Another of the questions I have about Palin is why is hubby Todd so involved in his wife''s job? They refer to him as a "shadow governor." Is he also going to be a shadow VP should McCain/Palin be elected? Sadly, Sarah is looking more and more like a puppet IMHO.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/19/todd.palin/

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:38:37 PM
Author: risingsun
There are been a number of articles that have mentioned this practice. I'll cite one, but can't vouch for the source:
http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/526281.html I am truly not wanting to enter a debate about Palin, but I will drop in with an occasional opinion. This thread takes a great deal of fortitude. I have to save that for my 'day' job
17.gif
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to read it later. I wasn't doubting you or trying starting any kind of debate, I just didn't feel like looking for it myself and figured you would have one handy.
2.gif
These threads are quite overwhelming at times; I think I'll have to block PS once I get a "real" job!

ETA: I was wondering if the hack revealed any government communications that were improper...I knew it was an issue before her choice to be McCain's VP, I just didn't know if any new information came out or not. That article didn't really say anything about what was foung/not found by the hack, but did provide interesting information about the current state of the investigation. Thanks.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 1:05:51 PM
Another of the questions I have about Palin is why is hubby Todd so involved in his wife's job? They refer to him as a 'shadow governor.' Is he also going to be a shadow VP should McCain/Palin be elected? Sadly, Sarah is looking more and more like a puppet IMHO.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/19/todd.palin/
Assuming he was a "shadow governor," I doubt he would be any type of shadow anything in the White House...McCain's cabinet and advisors wouldn't give him any of the power he probably had up there in Alaska. If he was her shadow then he would her puppet. I think all candidates are puppets for their parties at this point in time. I wish the article cited people who hadn't run against/oppose the Palins, but I do wonder what types of influences/inclusions spouses are allowed to have on their political counterparts. I know everyone used to/still joke about Hillary wearing the pants during Clinton's term, but I never really knew what she did to earn that reputation.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I went back to bump up the McCain thread but it looks like it''s been locked so I''ll post it here instead:

*warning, it''s LONG! I haven''t even read it yet and likely won''t get a chance until this weekend.
*second warning, it appears to be a leftist site so you righters can take it with a grain or three.

McCain and the POW Cover-up

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2008 6:52:50 PM

2.gif
6.gif
36.gif

I''m close with a Yale alumni group - most are bright, but there are definately quite a few idiots. I know some pretty dumb Cornell grads too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results